The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 07:16 PM
Courtier

I really do hope Meghan is still able to retain some of her signature style even in her looks after she's officially royal.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:43 PM
Majesty

I think she will. There's nothing requiring her to dress like Kate/Sophie/Anne etc. They all do things a bit differently from each other already.

I figure we will still see her personal clothing (pre-wedding) popping up when she's out and about.

LaRae

Old 01-11-2018, 08:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
As Meghan wears her hair straight on always, I would say she probably has something more permanent done rather than daily temporary solutions like your friend who switches.
For my hair to be straight I have to put a relaxer in it every few weeks. Meghan probably has curls that are very small and to get her hair straight it would take more effort than just doing something daily.

I think her engagement outfit was unattractive but her other ones have been OK... passable.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 01-11-2018, 08:52 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mademoiselle Lilo View Post
It' very decent appropriate outfit i think, again nothing spectacular but understood for the visit,i actually like the hair.

All Miss Markle outfits yet are so/so if not boring and plain i think she too afraid to do a faux pas and chose the safe choices on designs and colors for now it's understood in the future i think she will need to do more efforts
Just compare queen Máxima as a royal fiancée and what she has been wearing later in her marriage; so yes, I think she will feel more free to make certain choices while growing into her role - she is still figuring out what is acceptable in her new role as a future member of the BRF, so better err on the safe side.

Nonetheless, I don't consider her choices very 'safe' for royal standards (engagement photo, Christmas lunch, trousers on second official engagement).
Old 01-11-2018, 09:46 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionMaven View Post
If she's had keratin treatments, that's as good as a relaxer as the formaldehyde chemically straightens hair. Brazilian blowouts, same. It's just the "new" relaxer that isn't the same old same old. Point being, it's not a basic blowout that she's used - but something chemical that will permanently straighten the hair.

It's why I don't get keratin treatments or brazilians - I don't want to destroy my hair's curl pattern.

Point is - she probably cannot get back to her natural texture at this point unless she big chops and lets it be natural from that point on... just like any other black or black biracial woman on the planet would have to do if they'd used a relaxer, or straightened their hair with keratin/brazilians that chemically straighten hair over time.
The keratin treatment I'm referring to is really nothing like a relaxer. It's not even technically what straightens the hair, it's more like a protective coating that makes the hair softer, more manageable and is "sealed in" with flat ironing. The hair will revert back to its natural texture once the treatment wears off, which is usually between 6 to 10 weeks. And I say this as a woman of color with naturally curly hair who has tried it before. But I know many women with naturally kinky/curly hair who are afraid of potential heat damage so they steer clear of it. Understandable.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
The keratin treatment I'm referring to is really nothing like a relaxer. It's not even technically what straightens the hair, it's more like a protective coating that makes the hair softer, more manageable and is "sealed in" with flat ironing. The hair will revert back to its natural texture once the treatment wears off, which is usually between 6 to 10 weeks. And I say this as a woman of color with naturally curly hair who has tried it before. But I know many women with naturally kinky/curly hair who are afraid of potential heat damage so they steer clear of it. Understandable.
I think you might be missing my point? It's the formaldehyde in the keratin treatment (even the ones that claim to be formaldehyde free actually aren't). That's the chemical I'm talking about. It does something chemically to the bonds in your hair that control "curliness".

My main point is that IF Meghan is able to get her hair wet without it reverting upon sustained contact then she has some kind of chemical treatment in her hair. I'm including keratin treatments in that because of the formaldehyde even if it's not as permanent as a relaxer.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I think she will. There's nothing requiring her to dress like Kate/Sophie/Anne etc. They all do things a bit differently from each other already.

I figure we will still see her personal clothing (pre-wedding) popping up when she's out and about.

LaRae
I tend to think of Meghan's style as already somewhat royal in its restraint - her more polished looks that is. Even though a lot of royal women don't wear trouser pants, I wish they would - they look SO smart and are SO modern.

If Kate wore them as stylishly as Meghan did, I'd applaud that.

My hope though is that for the many polished looks we've seen from Meghan throughout her career - they have a certain posh edge to them that I really hope she is able to bring into royal attire once she's married.

Meaning - I hope the engagement gown was a sign of things to come and not a farewell to her previous edgy classic style.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Just compare queen Máxima as a royal fiancée and what she has been wearing later in her marriage; so yes, I think she will feel more free to make certain choices while growing into her role - she is still figuring out what is acceptable in her new role as a future member of the BRF, so better err on the safe side.

Nonetheless, I don't consider her choices very 'safe' for royal standards (engagement photo, Christmas lunch, trousers on second official engagement).
i hope so,i understand as i said before that yet she doesn't do the engagement and event that need an intersting outfit but i saw some of of her old photos and i find her tatse really nice and intersting so i am looking forward to see more from her after her marriage.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I tend to think of Meghan's style as already somewhat royal in its restraint - her more polished looks that is. Even though a lot of royal women don't wear trouser pants, I wish they would - they look SO smart and are SO modern.

My hope though is that for the many polished looks we've seen from Meghan throughout her career - they have a certain posh edge to them that I really hope she is able to bring into royal attire once she's married.

Meaning - I hope the engagement gown was a sign of things to come and not a farewell to her previous edgy classic style.
I LOVED those pants. Honestly, as a working woman, I love the clothing Meghan worn to Nottingham and Brixton. It's well put together, and it's stuff I can see myself wearing to work. I'm also glad to see some glamour in the engagement photos. It's not something I'd wear because I just don't have the occasion to wear it to, but I certainly enjoy seeing them on her.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I LOVED those pants. Honestly, as a working woman, I love the clothing Meghan worn to Nottingham and Brixton. I'm also glad to see some glamour in the engagement photos. It's not something I'd wear because I just don't have the occasion to wear it to, but I certainly enjoy seeing them on her.
Hell - I'm not married and that engagement pic has me wanting to dress up like that for MINE when I finally do!!
Old 01-12-2018, 04:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Hell - I'm not married and that engagement pic has me wanting to dress up like that for MINE when I finally do!!
Girl, I feel like we are all allowed to go all out for those moments in life. I'm glad to see that she didn't go the minimalist way for her engagement photos. I know she's gotten some heat for that dress and the cost and some felt that was too much for a daytime shoot, but that whole photoshoot was a fashionista's dream, wasn't it? I know people said it felt somewhat Hollywood, but that wasn't Hollywood. It was really done like a fashion spread, which is quite different.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:04 PM
Majesty

Quote:

Not all women can carry those trousers off, HGD Stephanie rarely gets them right.

However I think it would be perfectly find for Meghan to keep wearing them but I don't know what kind of leeway they have on this issue. Rumor has been for some time the Queen isn't a fan of them but maybe things are changing. Past that I do expect her to keep her current style when she's doing official engagements. CANNOT WAIT to see what she wears in Wales next week!

Frankly since I wasn't a fan of the engagement photo dress (skirt part, top was fine) I hope to not see that skirt style again! lol

LaRae
Old 01-12-2018, 04:33 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Not a fan of the wide trousers Meghan is wearing in her recent outfit; as Pranter has said very few royal women have been able to pull them off. The rest of her outfit is nice though.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 01-12-2018, 04:55 PM
Heir Apparent

I for one Loved the wide trousers Meghan wore!! Kudos to her for wearing them and I hope she wears them again.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Not a fan of the wide trousers Meghan is wearing in her recent outfit; as Pranter has said very few royal women have been able to pull them off. The rest of her outfit is nice though.
Awww - that was my favorite part of them! I loved that they were a modern fashion forward shape rather than an unfortunate style that flatters no one...

Different strokes though - the wide leg style and slight boot cut styles are my favorite pant shape... also the subtle flare ones too (but subtle, not overt).

I thought the pants looked perfect with her sweater - she had a perfect modern 70s look going on with it... all she needed was the shades and fedora, lol. But without all of that it was a perfect look to me.

I'm still mad I didn't buy a similar sweater when I saw it about a month ago. But I have another one that will yield the same look with similar pants so no worries here...
Old 01-12-2018, 06:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yes wide trousers look really good on her.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:19 PM
Nobility

I loved those trousers as well and hope she continues to wear them from time to time.

Quote:
I think you might be missing my point? It's the formaldehyde in the keratin treatment (even the ones that claim to be formaldehyde free actually aren't). That's the chemical I'm talking about. It does something chemically to the bonds in your hair that control "curliness".

My main point is that IF Meghan is able to get her hair wet without it reverting upon sustained contact then she has some kind of chemical treatment in her hair. I'm including keratin treatments in that because of the formaldehyde even if it's not as permanent as a relaxer.
Don't think I missed the point. A keratin treatment is not "as good as a relaxer." That's the point I was objecting to, as there are some important differences between the two.

In any case, we don't know the state of Meghan's curls, but I think years of wearing her hair straight probably means that her curls don't look the same, regardless of her straightening method. And so she would probably have to "start from scratch" to get her hair to look as it did in her younger years. On that, we can agree.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:43 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Awww - that was my favorite part of them! I loved that they were a modern fashion forward shape rather than an unfortunate style that flatters no one...

Different strokes though - the wide leg style and slight boot cut styles are my favorite pant shape... also the subtle flare ones too (but subtle, not overt).

I thought the pants looked perfect with her sweater - she had a perfect modern 70s look going on with it... all she needed was the shades and fedora, lol. But without all of that it was a perfect look to me.

I'm still mad I didn't buy a similar sweater when I saw it about a month ago. But I have another one that will yield the same look with similar pants so no worries here...
It's really nice to see someone airing a different opinion than mine so civilly It is interesting to see how much taste can differ! I do agree about the 70s vibes, but to me that's a turn-off, haha. Now you mention that I'm envisioning Meghan in full Abba style regalia

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 01-14-2018, 06:57 PM
Majesty

In a way it reminded me of a Donna Karen or DVF look (from back then).

LaRae

ABBA?? LOL please NO clothes like that!

LaRae
Old 01-14-2018, 07:27 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
ABBA?? LOL please NO clothes like that!

LaRae
Unless as a costume for a party

Closed Thread