The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 08:03 PM
Royal Highness

I love the coat, hate the wide trousers and all black. Messy bun was a nice try, but unsuccessful, imo. A ponytail would have been just as casual, but more controlled.

And yeah, I’m one of those people who dislikes all neutrals all the time. I’m hoping that this is Meghan the fiancée phase and that Meghan the duchess will be more colorful.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:09 PM
Nobility

I loved everything about Meghan's look today, including the messy bun and "out of place" strands. She just look so effortlessly chic, right down to the minimal makeup. She has such a naturally beautiful face.

Love the coat and trousers and especially those heels!

Old 01-09-2018, 08:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
However, if by "natural" you mean more stereotypical of her biracial roots, then if she did it would merely be a remarked as a PC move as she has never styled her hair that way before.
For perspective, as an actress she would have been more 'amenable' to a wider range of parts with straightened hair. Fact. Whether she 'prefers' curly or straight may still not be an issue because at this juncture she is also pleasing her man, what he likes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbside View Post
Her natural hair is a mass of loose corkscrews, very thick and buoyant. There's nothing wrong with straightened hair, I just think it would be nice if she wore her natural curls.
If she likes it that way, and longs to get back to her natural hair. Interesting possibility. Personally I don't think she will do short hair until after the babies are born, but we'll see. She could surprise us. She's had the long straight hair for a long time. It's often hard to change, and especially if one's husband has a preference. Such does matter.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:25 PM
Courtier

Ah, but we don't know that he hasn't seen her hair curly.

I do have a bias for curly, since my children and I all have the biracial corkscrews. I do know it can be a bitch to maintain, but can be quite beautiful. Whenever I go out with my daughter and her hair is down and loose, she always gets comments. People will often come up to her and try to touch her curly hair.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
That style doesn't seem to suit her persona at all. I hope she stays with the straight hair...probably because I lived thru the era of very curly permed hair and hope it stays in the past.

LaRae
Maybe I read this wrong, but Meghan's natural hair as it grows out of her head is curly - like the picture posted. It's not naturally straight. She either relaxes it straight or she has it blown out. It's not a perm - I don't understand why you brought that up - unless you're implying that if Meghan goes back to her naturally kinky-curly roots, that women all over the world (white women) would turn to curly perms in order to mimic her hair?

Yeah - I don't see that happening.

I wore my hair relaxed straight until I was in my mid-late 30s - so for a lot of people, it didn't fit my "persona" either - but I need to stress that this "persona" was me assimilating to a society that shames black women for their natural hair texture. In some cases, wearing my natural hair would jeopardize my ability to get the job I wanted.

I have the exact same natural hair texture that Meghan does. And Meghan has made comments about her own struggle with her natural hair texture - she grew up in an environment that made her feel "less than" for having it - there was an interview somewhere where she talked about how her mother tried to help her not fret over what people thought of her hair so much - as that drove her to want it to be as straight as possible.

It'd be nice to see her overcome those reservations (about what a society that likes to see people assimilate) and wear her natural hair - but I suspect that she relaxes her hair, which means it's chemically straightened and she can't wear her natural hair unless she does the big chop and grows it out.

I thought she looked lovely today. I love her minimalist wardrobe and makeup looks. That sweater/trouser combo is one of my own favorite looks to rock so seeing it on her was awesome. I almost bought a similar sweater a month or so ago - I wish I had now! LOL. I love that she wore trousers. She always looks so chic. Love her style - I'm definitely going to have a style crush and muse in her... very excited. I hope she always manages to keep some of "herself" in her royal style.

I admit I was thrown off a bit by her bun - but as far as messy buns go it was still cute. I kinda agree with what someone else said - she's going to have to find a more restrained hair style that she can wear without having to adjust her hair all the time - it'll get old quick. I just hope she finds something that still is HER though.

I love the videos where the crowd gets so loud that Harry motions to them and tells Meghan she'll have to wave at them because they're so loud and then Meghan waves at them and they go absolutely BONKERS. Even Meghan looked surprised at how much the crowd loved her.

I'm so happy.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:48 PM
Courtier

I read she gets Brazilian blowouts, which can be expensive. I usually style my daughter's hair in braids, since she's involved in sports. Back in my misbegotten youth, when I had time to fiddle with my hair everyday, I wore the curly bush.

I think Meghan's hair looks like it is well maintained, and not overprocessed.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I read she gets Brazilian blowouts, which can be expensive. I usually style my daughter's hair in braids, since she's involved in sports. Back in my misbegotten youth, when I had time to fiddle with my hair everyday, I wore the curly bush.

I think Meghan's hair looks like it is well maintained, and not overprocessed.
I still have the curly bush! It's just in a ponytail right now.

The only reason I think it's relaxed is because when she was swimming with PH at that wedding, there was no evidence of reversion... blowouts don't usually hold up that well and her hair was clearly wet in parts.

I'd love it though if she could still surprise us one day with her natural curls poppin all over the place.

But I get why she wears it straight - been there, done that. If I hadn't moved to CA with it's horrid dry weather (which damaged my hair), I probably never would have gone natural myself. I'd still be addicted to the creamy crack.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:56 PM
Nobility

I'm pretty sure Meghan doesn't use a relaxer on her hair. I believe she gets blowouts or perhaps keratin treatments (temporary straightener). Anyway, I believe she has said or suggested that her hair isn't as curly as it used to be, likely because it's been "heat trained" so she would probably have to grow it out again to get it as curly as it used to be.

As for her adjusting her hair, I believe it's just a habit of hers. Remember she was doing it in the engagement interview and the Larry King interview as well. Since I don't see her going too restrained with her hair, she'll probably have to make a conscious effort to stop doing it. Or maybe she just won't care if it bothers others. lol
Old 01-09-2018, 08:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

If Kate went out in public with that hair style this forum would have gone into meltdown, same with wide pants. Let’s be fair
Old 01-09-2018, 08:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionMaven View Post
I wore my hair relaxed straight until I was in my mid-late 30s - so for a lot of people, it didn't fit my "persona" either - but I need to stress that this "persona" was me assimilating to a society that shames black women for their natural hair texture. In some cases, wearing my natural hair would jeopardize my ability to get the job I wanted.
Exactly my point, and especially for an actress. Meghan would have been going up for parts where a real bias is operating.

Quote:
I have the exact same natural hair texture that Meghan does. And Meghan has made comments about her own struggle with her natural hair texture - she grew up in an environment that made her feel "less than" for having it - there was an interview somewhere where she talked about how her mother tried to help her not fret over what people thought of her hair so much - as that drove her to want it to be as straight as possible.
This is why I think once the babies come along, who may have curly hair, Meghan may opt for her hair's natural state for the sake of her children. Just a hunch.

Quote:
It'd be nice to see her overcome those reservations (about what a society that likes to see people assimilate) and wear her natural hair - but I suspect that she relaxes her hair, which means it's chemically straightened and she can't wear her natural hair unless she does the big chop and grows it out.
I believe she does not go the chemical route, but does a blow-out. The 'big chop' may happen with pregnancy. Maybe.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:02 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Maybe I read this wrong, but Meghan's natural hair as it grows out of her head is curly - like the picture posted. It's not naturally straight. She either relaxes it straight or she has it blown out. It's not a perm - I don't understand why you brought that up - unless you're implying that if Meghan goes back to her naturally kinky-curly roots, that women all over the world (white women) would turn to curly perms in order to mimic her hair?

Yeah - I don't see that happening.

I thought she looked lovely today. I love her minimalist wardrobe and makeup looks. That sweater/trouser combo is one of my own favorite looks to rock so seeing it on her was awesome. I almost bought a similar sweater a month or so ago - I wish I had now! LOL. I love that she wore trousers. She always looks so chic. Love her style - I'm definitely going to have a style crush and muse in her... very excited. I hope she always manages to keep some of "herself" in her royal style.

I admit I was thrown off a bit by her bun - but as far as messy buns go it was still cute. I kinda agree with what someone else said - she's going to have to find a more restrained hair style that she can wear without having to adjust her hair all the time - it'll get old quick. I just hope she finds something that still is HER though.

I love the videos where the crowd gets so loud that Harry motions to them and tells Meghan she'll have to wave at them because they're so loud and then Meghan waves at them and they go absolutely BONKERS. Even Meghan looked surprised at how much the crowd loved her.

I'm so happy.

Yes I figure if she goes to her natural curl it's quite possible she will be copied..I mean really look at the clothes she is wearing, they are selling out within a very short time. Why wouldn't hair trends be the same?

I hadn't really thought overly much about what she has to do to her hair because I'm not up on all the hair stuff (I'm a minimalist about that type of thing). I don't know if she needs to overcome anything or not. Now days she seems pretty confident about herself so I'd imagine if she wanted to wear her hair in it's natural state she would.

Except for today, I have really liked her hair...hoping the messy bun is not a repeat! It would of been cute if she had been more casually dressed. I think a sleek ponytail would of been nicer..but that's just my opinion.

The first thing I thought of when I saw her was SHE IS WEARING TROUSERS!!!! I couldn't wait to see what folks here thought! LOL

I think (within reason) she will have more flexibility with her clothing..or more free to experiment than some of the other BRF family members can.

I don't mind the neutral look although yeah I'm sure it might be a bit boring after awhile. I suspect she will add some new pieces as she goes though. However, I don't ever expect her to show up wearing hot pink!

That crowd as something else...did you see the video of after the came out of the visit? The flashes were just blinding!

She's probably feeling pretty surreal about now...I mean you go from being a fairly unknown actress to having folks scream your name and blind you with cameras....heady stuff.

LaRae
Old 01-09-2018, 09:09 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I still have the curly bush! It's just in a ponytail right now.

The only reason I think it's relaxed is because when she was swimming with PH at that wedding, there was no evidence of reversion... blowouts don't usually hold up that well and her hair was clearly wet in parts.

I'd love it though if she could still surprise us one day with her natural curls poppin all over the place.

But I get why she wears it straight - been there, done that. If I hadn't moved to CA with it's horrid dry weather (which damaged my hair), I probably never would have gone natural myself. I'd still be addicted to the creamy crack.
Was she swimming? I only saw them relaxing in the water, seems like she had her hat on the whole time. Anyway, I think you can wet your hair without reversion with a keratin treatment. Maybe that is what she gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
If Kate went out in public with that hair style this forum would have gone into meltdown, same with wide pants. Let’s be fair
Haven't we been warned continuously not to bring up these comparisons? I personally don't care how Kate wears her hair and certainly wouldn't be upset if she wore similar trousers.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:12 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
This forum has criticized Kate ad nauseam about her hair ...for years now.

If Kate wore wide trousers she would be cheered by MANY who have complained about her skinny jeans AND never wearing trousers!

LaRae
Old 01-09-2018, 09:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
Was she swimming? I only saw them relaxing in the water, seems like she had her hat on the whole time. Anyway, I think you can wet your hair without reversion with a keratin treatment. Maybe that is what she gets.

Haven't we been warned continuously not to bring up these comparisons? I personally don't care how Kate wears her hair and certainly wouldn't be upset if she wore similar trousers.

I’m comparing how we respond
Old 01-09-2018, 09:41 PM
Majesty

Shocker here, they are two different women. What looks good on one isn't going to look good on the other. If Kate wore a messy bun with one of her 1950's coat dresses, yes it would draw comments.

But this thread isn't about Kate. I am sure you will find on the Kate thread a few posters who will praise her gloriousness in every look, to suit you

Now back to the thread topic......Meghan.

Love the coat. Very stylish and warm. And I am in love with the scarf.

I am one who lives in monochrome so I like the overall look under. There are few people who can pull off wide trousers, she is one.

I quite like the messy bun. It suits the slightly more relaxed event/feel.

I for one am happy to see a member (soon to be) of the BRF in trousers at a non sporting engagement. Royals like Victoria, Letizia and Mary have shown you can look professional, chic and appropriate for an event, in pants. A woman doesn't need to be in a skirt to look professional.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Shocker here, they are two different women. What looks good on one isn't going to look good on the other. If Kate wore a messy bun with one of her 1950's coat dresses, yes it would draw comments.

But this thread isn't about Kate. I am sure you will find on the Kate thread a few posters who will praise her gloriousness in every look, to suit you

Now back to the thread topic......Meghan.

Love the coat. Very stylish and warm. And I am in love with the scarf.

I am one who lives in monochrome so I like the overall look under. There are few people who can pull off wide trousers, she is one.

I quite like the messy bun. It suits the slightly more relaxed event/feel.

I for one am happy to see a member (soon to be) of the BRF in trousers at a non sporting engagement. Royals like Victoria, Letizia and Mary have shown you can look professional, chic and appropriate for an event, in pants. A woman doesn't need to be in a skirt to look professional.
It is cold in England, and I cannot imagine always having to wear skirts, no matter what. I can understand HM doing it, since that's how things rolled back in the day. But again, England is cold (this from someone who grew up in the Midwest, close to Lake Michigan). Cold, and damp.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:14 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
It is cold in England, and I cannot imagine always having to wear skirts, no matter what. I can understand HM doing it, since that's how things rolled back in the day. But again, England is cold (this from someone who grew up in the Midwest, close to Lake Michigan). Cold, and damp.
I think the damp is what makes the chill worse and makes good coats essential.

I don't think Meghan has any staff yet, so I doubt she has a hairdresser on call to do her hair for events,
Old 01-10-2018, 01:38 AM
Heir Apparent

I noticed at the Golden Globes ceremony all the female recipients and hosts wore all black, to emphasise gender equality and protest what has been going on in Hollywood and elsewhere over the last few months. Meghan was in all-black under her coat yesterday. Coincidence, I wonder.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:07 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
I think the damp is what makes the chill worse and makes good coats essential.

I don't think Meghan has any staff yet, so I doubt she has a hairdresser on call to do her hair for events,
Given her hair type, I suspect Meghan has found a hairdressesr, one who could do her hair for an event that was planned in advance, if she wanted. The way we've seen her wear her hair thus far, is probably how she wanted it, whether or not she's did it herself.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:08 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Meghan still dresses and behaves like the actress person she has been so far, how could it be any different. She'll learn and become more accustomed to her future role and my guess is that from after the wedding we will see a very different person, far more stereotype than now.
Part of that change will be the clutch/something to do with the hands thing, most royal women were all over the place in this department in the beginning, it will change, sloppy hair and constantly fiddling with it will be gone in a while.

Closed Thread