Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was surprised by the black coat, but I love the style of it.

The shirt (haven't seen a close up yet) appears to be a beige/taupe color.

I was hoping for a bit more color than the purse. Which I liked.

LaRae

We can also confirm that #MeghanMarkle's @DeMellierLondon bag has been re-released in the Forest Green colour. It will ship in March. forest grain

Her top is: Theory Wool Off-The-Shoulder Jacket > Theory - Wool Off-The-Shoulder Jacket

Last edited by a moderator:
Not Liking the all black or her hair. Plus I know she’s a fan of those belted coats but it looks like she’s wearing a bathrobe

I agree.
I never like any of the designs by Stella McCartney, though.

And I think Meghan's hair just looks messy.
But the crowds are enthusiastic.

She's always wearing coats that just look too big for her. It doesn't help to squeeze the belt as tight as possible, it still looks too big and saggy. I don't like this outfit at all!

Not surprised to see her in dull color again, I think she would stick to it in pre-wedding period. Okay with the coat, the details of collar are interesting, but the bow/knot is a bit messy to me.

Apparently the handbag Meghan is carrying today funds life-saving vaccines for kids.

Meghan's top is by Theory, one of my personal favorites.

I love her simplistic and chic style. It's something a woman that works in an office can wear to work (barring the jeans, but ya know). I'm hoping the Barbie overdone look doesn't come in. I can see her moving more towards Letizia of Spain's style once married.

Which she ISN'T ! It is just so dull...

I should point out a chick and stylish woman would wear to the office. :lol: I've seen some stuff at the office that just...isn't. But nevertheless, if we want more of the working aspect of the members of the royal family, let them dress like stylish working women. I'm over the overly done Barbie thing. It's tiring. There is nothing wrong or dull with being chic. She dresses appropriately for the event. I'm sure if there is a more formal event, she'll dress the part as well. I'm simply glad she opted for pants rather than just dress and tights. I often wonder how are they not cold in those cases.

Last edited:
I don't consider it chic in any way..

Sophie is often chic, Lady Sarah Chatto invariably so, Queen Letizia sometimes is.. but this NOT..

I don’t consider it chic either and I can’t say it enough, I can’t stand the too big ‘bathrobe’ coats she’s so fond of wearing.

I suspect the European idea of what constitutes 'Chic' is different from the American 'way'..

I think she looks cute! I like the coat, so much so that I went looking for a similar sewing pattern.

MM would be a step up from business casual in the U.S.

American, don't consider it chic however I do consider it tasteful and appropriate.

LaRae

I don’t consider it chic either and I can’t say it enough, I can’t stand the too big ‘bathrobe’ coats she’s so fond of wearing.

It's not too big! It is fitted to her. Go look at pics of her moving/bending down etc. It's fitted to the body.

LaRae

I really like the looser coats. It's long since past time for some of the other younger royal ladies (*cough* Kate *cough*) to change things up from the prissy, over tailored ones.

She looks ok and comfy enough, thou the coat IMO looks like a man’s (xtra long) suit jacket with a mismatched belt. It fits and I’m sure Meghan puts a lot of thought into what she is going to wear to these outings.

It's really nice to see someone airing a different opinion than mine so civilly ? It is interesting to see how much taste can differ! I do agree about the 70s vibes, but to me that's a turn-off, haha. Now you mention that I'm envisioning Meghan in full Abba style regalia :D

Oh what a sweet comment!! :flowers:

I'm happy we can discuss fashion - it's all love for me - that's like my most fun thing to discuss!

And wide leg pants aren't for everyone - so no worries there. I'm just glad they weren't the palazzo variety.

Now her look today... :ermm:

I like the coat. Love the boots. The plaid/checked blazer I'm not quite there. I like the boatneck neckline, but everything else about it reads like she got told she had to adhere to some specific princess style and she tried to make it her own and just ... I dunno. It's reading slightly meh?

I actually like the hair though... but I'm struggling with the jacket.

The black coat was interesting - it needs to cinch the waist a bit better though.

I figured out why I'm struggling with the jacket/blazer. I think it's because checks read as very 80s to me, maybe early 90s, and the shape of the jacket is DEFINITELY late 80s, early 90s, so you have to pair that with something modern to make sure your look reads as current.

Even wearing all plaid/checks would have been a little better, imo. Or a pair of tailored wool slacks with a slight flare.

Not my favorite look of hers.

Last edited:
I don't like the jacket, would have preferred she wear a sweater. The neckline is awkward and the color is blah. I like everything else about the outfit, including the pants.

Ok FM...don't faint. They are skinny jeans. Surprised me too!

ETA: The boat neckline..would so work in a wedding dress! lol

LaRae

I suspect the European idea of what constitutes 'Chic' is different from the American 'way'..

But the European idea of chic isn't a monolith. Parisian chic is not the same as Italian chic is not the same as British chic.

In fact, the three differ a lot.

I'm a huge fan of Parisian and Italian chic and I'd say most Americans are as well. British chic seems to just be catching on here - and it's mostly the high street version that's made any kind of fashion waves in the US (or Paris or Milan).

I think Meghan's version of chic is more Parisian/Italian than anything else - with a touch of California thrown in.

Her outfit today was chic, but it was kinda in a vein of British chic that I don't find particularly fashionable.

I think her outfit last week was chic. This one is not really elevated to chic IMO..but it's a appropriate look for what they are doing, if slightly dark overall.

LaRae

Ok FM...don't faint. They are skinny jeans. Surprised me too!

ETA: The boat neckline..would so work in a wedding dress! lol

LaRae

Wait - those are skinny jeans??!! Are we sure?

Love the boat neckline - just not the severity of the jacket cut paired with slim pants (or jeans)...

I actually like the pic of the jacket better on the shop website - it has a subtle peplum flare I like - but on Meghan it looks like they cut it down? Maybe I should re-examine the pictures.

If it's that same jacket and we just can't tell because of how she's standing, then I might reconsider my view - though I still am not sure of the pants.

Going to look again.

ETA: She's wearing a diff earring in each ear. YES to that.

The outfit still isn't my favorite - but she looks very well put together.

Last edited:
https://madaboutmeghan.blogspot.com/2018/01/first-look-harry-and-meghan-arrive-in.html

Maybe not jeans..they call them trousers...whatever they are they are very fitted.

Pics of the clothes toward the bottom of that link.

LaRae

Meghan's jeans are by Welsh brand Huit Denim. It looks like Meghan wore their Dina Skinny Fit - High Waist style.

More on the £175 pair:

'We chose a beautiful 12.5 oz raven black stretch denim from Candiani, Italy. They feel like an authentic black jean. But they give. Just a little. Not too much to take away the authentic denim feel, but enough to help make them easier to wear and allow the jeans to sit comfortably on your waist. Unlike other stretch denim, this premium stretch denim will not lose its shape. No saggy knees here.'

So yes jeans!

LaRae

I can't decide what I think about the outfit under that gorgeous coat.

I think she wears a boatneck well, but I don't think I like the combination of that neckline with that stiff suiting fabric. Or maybe I'd like it with a skirt? Perhaps what's rubbing me wrong is the combination of that particular jacket, in that particular fabric, with jeans. I like the nod to the Welsh denim company, I just don't think the overall look comes together that well.

Similarly, I really appreciate that she chose a bag that benefits a good cause, but when these handbags swing around awkwardly during the meet and greet walkabouts we get an object lesson in why pretty much every royal lady other than QEII defaults to carrying clutches in these circumstances. And it only works for the queen because she approaches those events with a greater reserve, often standing a little farther from people and simply talking without really touching people, so her hands--and by extension, the bag--stay fairly still instead of becoming a big, leather pendulum.

I'm still not sold on this messy bun for these events, either. I'm not opposed to messy buns in a general sense; I wear them myself, and I think they look good on Meghan when she's indoors. But during the walkabouts the style devolves pretty quickly from looking like a choice to just looking windblown.

Last edited:
Bless her, finally a touch of color. Baby steps I guess.
I do love the color of the bag. And it’s the only thing she had I liked- sadly I can’t afford it but i’m gonna save the brand name for future poshmark and eBay shopping, actually I liked the shoes too (and the heel is a good height imo for walkabouts)- the designer actually has a pair of Black Stilletos with red lace up I now crave.
Oh and I like the earrings!
Add on: I like some that she went for pants again! May she keep that trend after the wedding too!.end add on.

Everything else was meh. That plaid jacket did not suit her at all in term of fabric and the design on it (meaning the plaids; maybe in a different setting and with different pants), the neckline on it and on her worked was a different wonderful story. I agree that she should consider that neckline for her wedding dress- I will even be okay with adding lace as a top like Catherine did, as I think it will work well enough.

But she’s trying. Like I said baby steps I guess.

Last edited:
Meghan’s legs are so skinny that even form fitting jeans don’t fit well imo.

If she must wear trousers she should stick to wide leg although I’m not a fan of those either

Oh what a sweet comment!! :flowers:

I'm happy we can discuss fashion - it's all love for me - that's like my most fun thing to discuss!

And wide leg pants aren't for everyone - so no worries there. I'm just glad they weren't the palazzo variety.

Now her look today... :ermm:

I like the coat. Love the boots. The plaid/checked blazer I'm not quite there. I like the boatneck neckline, but everything else about it reads like she got told she had to adhere to some specific princess style and she tried to make it her own and just ... I dunno. It's reading slightly meh?

I actually like the hair though... but I'm struggling with the jacket.

The black coat was interesting - it needs to cinch the waist a bit better though.

I figured out why I'm struggling with the jacket/blazer. I think it's because checks read as very 80s to me, maybe early 90s, and the shape of the jacket is DEFINITELY late 80s, early 90s, so you have to pair that with something modern to make sure your look reads as current.

Even wearing all plaid/checks would have been a little better, imo. Or a pair of tailored wool slacks with a slight flare.

Not my favorite look of hers.

I think that might be meant to be paired with slacks for a more office look rather than skinny jeans. I'm not big on the booties. I usually prefer skinny heels to the chucky ones. But given what the events are, I'd wonder if slacks would've been too formal? They were visiting a youth center for sports and games later.

Meghan’s legs are so skinny that even form fitting jeans don’t fit well imo.

If she must wear trousers she should stick to wide leg although I’m not a fan of those either
Skinny jeans are definitely meant for people with skinny legs. I have no problem with the fit here. I just don't like the way it meshes with the booties (and I'm not a fan of those booties).

Can we talk about the earring situation? What is up with wearing 2 different earrings at the same time?

LaRae

I think that might be meant to be paired with slacks for a more office look rather than skinny jeans. I'm not big on the booties. I usually prefer skinny heels to the chucky ones. But given what the events are, I'd wonder if slacks would've been too formal? They were visiting a youth center for sports and games later.

I do think a more dressy pair of black slacks (not the big wide leg) would of gone better with the blouse/blazer thing.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom