Meghan Markle's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I read this wrong, but Meghan's natural hair as it grows out of her head is curly - like the picture posted. It's not naturally straight. She either relaxes it straight or she has it blown out. It's not a perm - I don't understand why you brought that up - unless you're implying that if Meghan goes back to her naturally kinky-curly roots, that women all over the world (white women) would turn to curly perms in order to mimic her hair?

Yeah - I don't see that happening.

I wore my hair relaxed straight until I was in my mid-late 30s - so for a lot of people, it didn't fit my "persona" either - but I need to stress that this "persona" was me assimilating to a society that shames black women for their natural hair texture. In some cases, wearing my natural hair would jeopardize my ability to get the job I wanted.

I have the exact same natural hair texture that Meghan does. And Meghan has made comments about her own struggle with her natural hair texture - she grew up in an environment that made her feel "less than" for having it - there was an interview somewhere where she talked about how her mother tried to help her not fret over what people thought of her hair so much - as that drove her to want it to be as straight as possible.

It'd be nice to see her overcome those reservations (about what a society that likes to see people assimilate) and wear her natural hair - but I suspect that she relaxes her hair, which means it's chemically straightened and she can't wear her natural hair unless she does the big chop and grows it out.

I thought she looked lovely today. I love her minimalist wardrobe and makeup looks. That sweater/trouser combo is one of my own favorite looks to rock so seeing it on her was awesome. I almost bought a similar sweater a month or so ago - I wish I had now! LOL. I love that she wore trousers. She always looks so chic. Love her style - I'm definitely going to have a style crush and muse in her... very excited. I hope she always manages to keep some of "herself" in her royal style.

I admit I was thrown off a bit by her bun - but as far as messy buns go it was still cute. I kinda agree with what someone else said - she's going to have to find a more restrained hair style that she can wear without having to adjust her hair all the time - it'll get old quick. I just hope she finds something that still is HER though.

I love the videos where the crowd gets so loud that Harry motions to them and tells Meghan she'll have to wave at them because they're so loud and then Meghan waves at them and they go absolutely BONKERS. Even Meghan looked surprised at how much the crowd loved her.

I'm so happy.

Yes I figure if she goes to her natural curl it's quite possible she will be copied..I mean really look at the clothes she is wearing, they are selling out within a very short time. Why wouldn't hair trends be the same?

I hadn't really thought overly much about what she has to do to her hair because I'm not up on all the hair stuff (I'm a minimalist about that type of thing). I don't know if she needs to overcome anything or not. Now days she seems pretty confident about herself so I'd imagine if she wanted to wear her hair in it's natural state she would.

Except for today, I have really liked her hair...hoping the messy bun is not a repeat! It would of been cute if she had been more casually dressed. I think a sleek ponytail would of been nicer..but that's just my opinion.

The first thing I thought of when I saw her was SHE IS WEARING TROUSERS!!!! I couldn't wait to see what folks here thought! LOL

I think (within reason) she will have more flexibility with her clothing..or more free to experiment than some of the other BRF family members can.

I don't mind the neutral look although yeah I'm sure it might be a bit boring after awhile. I suspect she will add some new pieces as she goes though. However, I don't ever expect her to show up wearing hot pink!

That crowd as something else...did you see the video of after the came out of the visit? The flashes were just blinding!

She's probably feeling pretty surreal about now...I mean you go from being a fairly unknown actress to having folks scream your name and blind you with cameras....heady stuff.

LaRae

I still have the curly bush! It's just in a ponytail right now.

The only reason I think it's relaxed is because when she was swimming with PH at that wedding, there was no evidence of reversion... blowouts don't usually hold up that well and her hair was clearly wet in parts.

I'd love it though if she could still surprise us one day with her natural curls poppin all over the place.

But I get why she wears it straight - been there, done that. If I hadn't moved to CA with it's horrid dry weather (which damaged my hair), I probably never would have gone natural myself. I'd still be addicted to the creamy crack.

Was she swimming? I only saw them relaxing in the water, seems like she had her hat on the whole time. Anyway, I think you can wet your hair without reversion with a keratin treatment. Maybe that is what she gets.

If Kate went out in public with that hair style this forum would have gone into meltdown, same with wide pants. Let’s be fair

Haven't we been warned continuously not to bring up these comparisons? I personally don't care how Kate wears her hair and certainly wouldn't be upset if she wore similar trousers.

If Kate went out in public with that hair style this forum would have gone into meltdown, same with wide pants. Let’s be fair

This forum has criticized Kate ad nauseam about her hair ...for years now.

If Kate wore wide trousers she would be cheered by MANY who have complained about her skinny jeans AND never wearing trousers!

LaRae

Was she swimming? I only saw them relaxing in the water, seems like she had her hat on the whole time. Anyway, I think you can wet your hair without reversion with a keratin treatment. Maybe that is what she gets.

Haven't we been warned continuously not to bring up these comparisons? I personally don't care how Kate wears her hair and certainly wouldn't be upset if she wore similar trousers.

I’m comparing how we respond

:previous: Shocker here, they are two different women. What looks good on one isn't going to look good on the other. If Kate wore a messy bun with one of her 1950's coat dresses, yes it would draw comments.

But this thread isn't about Kate. I am sure you will find on the Kate thread a few posters who will praise her gloriousness in every look, to suit you :whistling:

Now back to the thread topic......Meghan.

Love the coat. Very stylish and warm. And I am in love with the scarf. :flowers:

I am one who lives in monochrome so I like the overall look under. There are few people who can pull off wide trousers, she is one. ?

I quite like the messy bun. It suits the slightly more relaxed event/feel.

I for one am happy to see a member (soon to be) of the BRF in trousers at a non sporting engagement. Royals like Victoria, Letizia and Mary have shown you can look professional, chic and appropriate for an event, in pants. A woman doesn't need to be in a skirt to look professional.

:previous: Shocker here, they are two different women. What looks good on one isn't going to look good on the other. If Kate wore a messy bun with one of her 1950's coat dresses, yes it would draw comments.

But this thread isn't about Kate. I am sure you will find on the Kate thread a few posters who will praise her gloriousness in every look, to suit you :whistling:

Now back to the thread topic......Meghan.

Love the coat. Very stylish and warm. And I am in love with the scarf. :flowers:

I am one who lives in monochrome so I like the overall look under. There are few people who can pull off wide trousers, she is one. ?

I quite like the messy bun. It suits the slightly more relaxed event/feel.

I for one am happy to see a member (soon to be) of the BRF in trousers at a non sporting engagement. Royals like Victoria, Letizia and Mary have shown you can look professional, chic and appropriate for an event, in pants. A woman doesn't need to be in a skirt to look professional.

It is cold in England, and I cannot imagine always having to wear skirts, no matter what. I can understand HM doing it, since that's how things rolled back in the day. But again, England is cold (this from someone who grew up in the Midwest, close to Lake Michigan). Cold, and damp.

It is cold in England, and I cannot imagine always having to wear skirts, no matter what. I can understand HM doing it, since that's how things rolled back in the day. But again, England is cold (this from someone who grew up in the Midwest, close to Lake Michigan). Cold, and damp.

I think the damp is what makes the chill worse and makes good coats essential.

I don't think Meghan has any staff yet, so I doubt she has a hairdresser on call to do her hair for events,

Last edited:
I noticed at the Golden Globes ceremony all the female recipients and hosts wore all black, to emphasise gender equality and protest what has been going on in Hollywood and elsewhere over the last few months. Meghan was in all-black under her coat yesterday. Coincidence, I wonder.

I think the damp is what makes the chill worse and makes good coats essential.

I don't think Meghan has any staff yet, so I doubt she has a hairdresser on call to do her hair for events,

Given her hair type, I suspect Meghan has found a hairdressesr, one who could do her hair for an event that was planned in advance, if she wanted. The way we've seen her wear her hair thus far, is probably how she wanted it, whether or not she's did it herself.

Meghan still dresses and behaves like the actress person she has been so far, how could it be any different. She'll learn and become more accustomed to her future role and my guess is that from after the wedding we will see a very different person, far more stereotype than now.
Part of that change will be the clutch/something to do with the hands thing, most royal women were all over the place in this department in the beginning, it will change, sloppy hair and constantly fiddling with it will be gone in a while.

:previous: Well, not to sure about nervous habits. Charles still fiddles with his cufflinks and both William and Harry fiddle with the material above and below the middle button on their jackets or coats.

Meghan carried a handbag on her first engagement with Harry. Actually, I really liked it but I am betting someone told her to use a clutch or nothing. If its okay for European Royalty to carry bags not to mention our very own Queen and other royals, I say go for it.

I will be interested what type and style of new clothes Meghan goes for when she has recycled all the coats, etc. in her closet,

Last edited:
I loved her whole look. It was very appropriate for the engagement, not too casual and not too stiff. Just perfect in the middle. Her bun looked cute, and she has such an adorable, expressive face.

I think, that Meghan will continue wearing clothes of her own personal style, and won't be changing too much, and I like her style, so I'm fine with it.

Nothing to like or dislike about it imo, the EPITOME of 'bland'.

It IS an outfit a Londoner would wear to go shopping...

Don't like her hair way too messy it was casual but it was still work and playing with her hair is distracting. Kate used to get lots of comments about playing with her hair. Don't mind what she is wearing but it is going to get boring very fast if she keeps it up. The Queen has worn pants for an official engagement, Diana wore pants, jeans etc for engagements and Sophie loves a pant suit. Meghan is hardly breaking traditions except for the all black outfit remember Diana and the famous black dress? It is not something the Royals like. Maybe Harry needs to fill her in about some of the lesser known rules.

Nothing to like or dislike about it imo, the EPITOME of 'bland'.

It IS an outfit a Londoner would wear to go shopping...

You people dress up like that to go shopping?

Certainly more casual around here.

LaRae

I hope Harry doesn't try to start telling Meghan how to dress. I've never thought of him as a fashion enthusiast of any kind.

Are there actual sets of rules what royals are supposed to wear/not wear, and why, or are these rules just assumed to be there, like the hand holding etc. It turned out to be a mere preference, not an actual royal protocol.

You people dress up like that to go shopping?

Certainly more casual around here.

LaRae

From my experience while living in London, yes, there are people who dress up like that to go shopping. There's also a lot of people who go to the cinema in their pajamas and don't have a care in the world.

I've seen folks come into the bank where I worked dressed in PJ's. That's just a little too casual for public outtings!

However typically folks here do dress up, they just don't dress up like that to go shopping unless it's a date or special occasion.

LaRae

Given her hair type, I suspect Meghan has found a hairdressesr, one who could do her hair for an event that was planned in advance, if she wanted. The way we've seen her wear her hair thus far, is probably how she wanted it, whether or not she's did it herself.

I'm sure she has found a salon where she gets her hair done, but a hairdresser that will come to you at 6am to do your hair before you leave for an appearance I'm not as sure about. Not that this event was that early but Nottingham involved travel so it was.

I have a colleague from Eritrea who has similar complexion as Meghan hair/skin wise, she told me that of course Meghan's natural hair will be super curly and it will cost her a lot of time and work (as it costs my colleague herself) to straighten it on a daily basis. My colleague does variations (straight/afro hairstyle) I am curious if Meghan will keep her hair straightened out all the time.

I'm sure she has found a salon where she gets her hair done, but a hairdresser that will come to you at 6am to do your hair before you leave for an appearance I'm not as sure about. Not that this event was that early but Nottingham involved travel so it was.
My dear, hairdressers as well as the other beauty staff come everywhere at any moment if you pay them.

I have a colleague from Eritrea who has similar complexion as Meghan hair/skin wise, she told me that of course Meghan's natural hair will be super curly and it will cost her a lot of time and work (as it costs my colleague herself) to straighten it on a daily basis. My colleague does variations (straight/afro hairstyle) I am curious if Meghan will keep her hair straightened out all the time.

As Meghan wears her hair straight on always, I would say she probably has something more permanent done rather than daily temporary solutions like your friend who switches.

It' very decent appropriate outfit i think, again nothing spectacular but understood for the visit,i actually like the hair.

All Miss Markle outfits yet are so/so if not boring and plain i think she too afraid to do a faux pas and chose the safe choices on designs and colors for now it's understood in the future i think she will need to do more efforts

It' very decent appropriate outfit i think, again nothing spectacular but understood for the visit,i actually like the hair.

All Miss Markle outfits yet are so/so if not boring and plain i think she too afraid to do a faux pas and chose the safe choices on designs and colors for now it's understood in the future i think she will need to do more efforts

I don't think it's the lack of effort. She's not going to go out there in terms of color for the most part. That's just not her style. And as for design, I'm not sure how much of a design risk they take on everyday engagements like this. We usually see more interesting designs for dinners and tours.

:previous:
well maybe she is not yet attending the kind of event that require an intersting outfit but in my opinion her engagement was one and she failed to impress but then this is only my humble opinion

:previous:
well maybe she is not yet attending the kind of event that require an intersting outfit but in my opinion her engagement was one and she failed to impress but then this is only my humble opinion

Oh that controversial dress. :lol: Regardless whether one liked the dress or not, I think we can all agree that wasn't exactly a safe choice. :lol:

Oh that controversial dress. :lol: Regardless whether one liked the dress or not, I think we can all agree that wasn't exactly a safe choice. :lol:

I suspect Mademoiselle Lilo meant the attire that Meghan wore for the engagement photocall, not so much the engagement photos dress.

The green dress at the interview at the engagement was really beautiful !

At this point, Meghan is still a fiancee not a royal wife. She has lots of time to find her royal style.

I'm pretty sure Meghan doesn't use a relaxer on her hair. I believe she gets blowouts or perhaps keratin treatments (temporary straightener). Anyway, I believe she has said or suggested that her hair isn't as curly as it used to be, likely because it's been "heat trained" so she would probably have to grow it out again to get it as curly as it used to be.

If she's had keratin treatments, that's as good as a relaxer as the formaldehyde chemically straightens hair. Brazilian blowouts, same. It's just the "new" relaxer that isn't the same old same old. Point being, it's not a basic blowout that she's used - but something chemical that will permanently straighten the hair.

It's why I don't get keratin treatments or brazilians - I don't want to destroy my hair's curl pattern.

Point is - she probably cannot get back to her natural texture at this point unless she big chops and lets it be natural from that point on... just like any other black or black biracial woman on the planet would have to do if they'd used a relaxer, or straightened their hair with keratin/brazilians that chemically straighten hair over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom