The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 07:50 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post

As for her own wedding and engagement, I'd say she is the star of that show and that's the way it should be and has always been.
True words. Every woman/every couple are the stars of their own wedding, and that includes all the engagement hoopla too.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post
The cost of the gown....well I look at it like this, sure it's her money and she can buy whatever and wear what ever, yet this is not *Hollywood* and the land of make believe that is filled with things and people that I won't mention here. She is marrying into a royal family that has a history that goes back in time, there are traditions and nobody is saying she has to give up her personality here, yet she should be aware of the situation of the family she is marrying into. It is all about respect, even if I had all the money in the world there is no way in hell I would pay 56,000 for a darn gown, that in my book by the designer is called greed. And I am a sewer since childhood, and I know how long it takes to make these type of gowns, I have done hand beading on Spanish lace when I was in fashion design school and that took forever I thought, I do needlework so no designer is ever going to tell me that cost 56,000 whatever is the true cost of making that gown, just add up the fabric and the people that made and I bet my last Popsicle it does not go anywhere near that cost.

The first picture was cute, yet her outfit was not what I would think should be for an engagement photo and Harry needs to learn to dress outside the darn blue suit that makes him look like he is a banker going to work 9/5 each day. Sheer tops are not something I think should be worn in public for a royal, this is not being a celebrity, this is being a royal and I think lots of people are having a hard time telling the 2 different worlds apart. And those 2 worlds can and do collide at times. Meghan is no longer an actress yet she can use some of those skills in being a royal like working with the people and in getting lots of work done in charities where she would know how to connect with people.

The 3rd picture to me was what?????? Who walks like that with their hand hanging down.....I was out just recently and tried to walk the way Harry was walking with my arm hanging like that..........very uncomfortable so I think that is the photographer trying something whatever. Meghan looks like she is bending over or stooping over to grab his hand......does that look normal .......not in my eyes it does not.

All in all we all know that they are deeply in love and very committed to each other and are excited about the wedding........yet again this is not La La Land, it is the British Royal Family that she is marrying into which is way more important then anything La La Land could ever do.

I did not like the gown, sheer with beading on top and tons of ruffles for the skirt screams out at me........to me it was not classy or chic at all and most of all...........this is just MHO here and nothing else and how I view these pictures as we all have very different opinions.
Honestly, we all know designers charges a premium for their clothing. That's just the way it works. Do you think Jenny Packham doesn't charge through the nose for a custom gown? Or Sarah Burton? They all do, and this is nothing special. Paying hefty amounts for a designer gown is not breaking with tradition in the BRF. I'd say that ship sailed long before Prince Harry set eyes on Meghan Markle. And the idea that royal family is above all this is just laughable to me or not selling a dream at times is laughable to me. They aren't above it, and they are selling the allure. Or else, what is the point of all the tiaras, the jewels, and the designer clothing? Many have stated that the public aspect of a member of BRF is all about playing a role. And plenty of royal women in the past have worn low cut or revealing gown. The photos didn't show anything others in that family haven't showed before as her dress was much less revealing than the runway with a panel put in.

The one mistake Meghan made here is not have commissioned a custom designed gown, which in reality would've been more expensive. However, it seems to go over better when the public doesn't have specific number to associate with it.

Anyways, as for the third pic, KP said it was a candid. They were likely caught for one second as they were walking and joking around.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

That is called comparing apples to oranges and your world and Meghan's world are just that, apples and oranges.....they do not mix well so should not be compared as such. Being in the world of royalty is very very different from anything we know, I look at the hard times Mary of Denmark and how well and long it took her to adjust.

I agree what maybe she is having a somewhat confusing time going from one to the other........Harry can and will probably want to make all the changes he wants, and he will do some, yet in the end this is a family deep in traditions and loyalty to the family and the people. He will only go so far in those changes if he wants the monarchy to remain for if it gets too be to much of being like it is from Hollywood then why have them, we can all see Hollywood and what they do each hour of the day and that is not always how we want our children to be raised or grow up to be.

Royalty have I think very different standards of how they want to be seen or not......I prefer royalty to Hollywood any day of the week for that is why I am here and not there. HM is a huge example of why I am here every day......as is Queen Daisy. and Catherine and Mary and Victoria, all perfect examples of royal ladies to be admired for they follow those standards laid down by their family through generations.
Royalty these days are basically a brand with the allure of beauty and supporting good causes, but not the drama. The drama part is the key difference between Hollywood and royalty. So far, Meghan has caused any drama. The Diana years wasn't bad for monarchy because she was beautiful and glamorous. It was bad because of the drama between the Waleses and their inability to keep it together. As long as they keep it together, I don't see what's wrong with beauty and glamour. Again, there is a reason why we see members of the royal family dressed up and with professionally done hair and makeup.

And I disagree that things don't have to change. It does for the royal family to remain relevant, and that they do depend on. It might not work well for those that are in their later years and yearn for the yesteryear of royalty, but the younger generation does have a responsibility to bring young people today on board. Young people are the future and they will eventually decide whether monarchy stays or goes.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:27 PM
Courtier

(..)

It's silly how people are taking it to extremes with their clothing critiques. It's one thing to not like what Meghan is wearing and to say why. But it's equally okay for those who admire H&M to appreciate and to celebrate their joy, which is so obvious in these photos. As I said earlier, it's not so much about what they are wearing anyway. It's about the love and happiness they feel together, and about the serious commitment they are making. I'm not too fixated on the dress. I think it's pretty and it looks good on her. The cut of the neckline would not suit me, but Meghan's long hair is her accessory in that regard.

Honestly, no matter what she wears, Meghan will be critiqued and nitpicked in one way or another, as we have seen. Go back and recall the comments about every recent outfit from the Invictus Games on, and even before that there were the critical reports about the dress Meghan wore to Pippa's reception which we never got to see. Since Meghan will always be nitpicked, she therefore needs to go with her gut, be herself and express herself in what she decides to wear. IMO, she's been fairly right on about her choices. I don't personally like raggedy designer jeans, but Meghan has a way of carrying off whatever look she chooses. And see how some people thought that style was too low-key, and now they're carping about her upscale ballgown.

I have my favorites of all the Meghan fashion slideshows I've seen online, and then there are a few non-favorite things I've seen her wear. Overall, she's just so much fun to look at. Her style is laid-back, casual, edgy and accessible. Obviously, this couture gown is not accessible for everyone, but the style is inspirational and similar looks are available that are more affordable. This gorgeous ballgown is a streamlined, elegant version of glam, fanciful and dreamy. So why not wear it for this dreamy, romantic, once-in-a-lifetime photo shoot in the royal English countryside? It was obviously on purpose that Harry wore day time wear, while Meghan wore an elegant & dressy but otherwise non-fussy ballgown. It's different and refreshing. Actually, Harry in a day suit is the kind of off-center unique difference juxtaposed to her dressy look that Meghan has said she strives to achieve [IOW, have one thing a bit out of place to effect a casual yet still pulled together appearance, e.g., a biker jacket over a pretty silk pleated dress; slightly disheveled hair with perfect makeup, etc]. Not everyone will agree, but then there's different strokes for different folks.

Of course, Meghan will make some adjustments, such as wearing more modest hemlines (no more minis) (..)
Old 12-21-2017, 10:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGlendower View Post
I seem to remember that Sophie was slammed for having sparkly trim on her engagement suit?
I am in the camp that thinks the R&R selection for the photo is a teaser for what will be future formal-wear style choices. She looks terrific. The dress gives her petite frame a little extra dimension and depth.
Exactly. This was a once-in-a-lifetime romantic photo shoot, deserving of Meghan wearing whatever she desired. Again, Meghan probably owned the gown already or was loaned the gown. It's a scaled-down version of the fanciful Herrera ballgown from the VF shoot.

And now, Harper's Bazaar has weighed in with further details that make a lot of sense. They show both sets of H&M and W&K engagement photos, with sensible summarization and behind-the-scenes info:
How Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's engagement photos compare to William and Kate's
The white sweater Meghan wore in the b&w shot is identified by HB as 'a white jumper' by Victoria Beckham (whom reportedly Meghan was introduced to by Kate, so I guess we will see VB & hubby at the wedding in May).
Old 12-21-2017, 10:41 PM
Majesty

The pearl clutchers have come out. Like those who suddenly hate Stephanie's wedding dress as inappropriate as they realize she had a deep back

There is nothing immodest about the dress. Yes its sheer, but its lined. There is no cleavage or body parts showing. Its a beautiful custom gown.

I am not a huge fan of the skirt but you don't really see it in the main photos.

As for the price, its an one time thing and privately paid. So not losing sleep.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:47 PM
Courtier

I love the dress. It enshrines Meghan's personality - fun and vibrant!

As for the cost, if I were Meghan and it was a case "damned if I do; damned if I don't", I'd be saying "sod it! Let them come and get me!". Her style is impeccable and she knows exactly what suits her and what doesn't.

The photos are beautifully taken and capture their love story. No awkwardness; no fakeness.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:50 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
Exactly. I'm honestly baffled by the talk of it being inappropriate.

I like this dress, Meghan wears it well. But the best thing about it is that now, we know that she is a fan of R&R and more elaborate designs, so we really might be in for a surprise with her wedding gown.
Yes, with the closing of the TIG we lost our "history" of her personal style and now we are starting over. Yes, R&R might be in the wedding dress running. Unfortunately we shall have to wait and see.

[QUOTE=jacqui24;2054883]Eh, we'll have to agree to disagree on the dress. I LOVE everything about the engagement portraits. I thought they were obviously in love and she looked beautiful. I wouldn't have chosen that dress for me, but she looks stunning. I'm not sure if there is much she wear that she wouldn't look stunning in. Maybe some old ugly 80s dress with puffy sleeves.

Anyways, speaking of hats. I can't wait to see what hat Meghan wears on Christmas Day!
(..)
Old 12-21-2017, 11:04 PM
Heir Apparent

The engagement pictures are very sweet, the white sweater very good, soft and tactile. The dress was a mistake. She is wearing a ball gown and he is wearing an almost casual blue suit which could make you think they are not in sync, not a good projection for an engagement photo. Not that I think they aren’t, but that is why it is a mistake. Either one of them should have dressed to the level of the other. Also, don’t like the bottom of the dress, the top is very pretty and a good color for her.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:26 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree on every point, Freelinghighness. Meghan absolutely has the right to wear whatever she likes and can afford for her engagement photos. However, for the optics of the thing I just feel the top and skirt combo was a mistake. It allowed people who don't like this couple something to jibe about and the Fail, which unfortunately is read by millions, another day of sark about heedless expense in their nasty anti-Meghan agenda.

I also like the top, and saying it's sheer as so many have done is just plainly ridiculous. However, there are so many great day dresses (and shoes) Meghan could have worn that would have coordinated better with Harry's admittedly boring blue suit and suede shoes. Aside from the price I just feel the ball gown feel was a misstep.

I'm looking forward to seeing what outfit Meghan will wear on the Sandringham walk, and hat or not! This has become very interesting!
Old 12-21-2017, 11:29 PM
Courtier

As mentioned already, this was a romantic and dreamy engagement shoot. Obviously, they weren't trying to matchy-matchy coordinate. Meghan is allowed to be herself and to have a bit of fun for this occasion. Why must she be boring, dull and conventional? She will more than likely be fairly traditional with her own bit of unique twist going forward, especially for formal occasions. But for her engagement photos in that romantic outdoor setting, she chose what she wanted to wear with some elegant flair. It's not an OTT gown. Perhaps some people are put off by the runway model pic of the couture gown, because I don't see either of the shots of Meghan wearing the gown as risque in any way.

Thanks @Marg! I didn't get around to actually reading through the DF tab pap, and now I don't have to as you've summarized the petty sourness over H&M's sartorial daring quite perfectly!

Some people who genuinely like H&M do appear to be put off by the style of Meghan's gown. And then others may simply always have something to criticize when it comes to what lovely Meghan wears. Ah what will be will be. I've been more interested in seeing Ginger & Nutmeg in official engagement photos already, not going into fits over their outfits.

Oh and, we can still find quite a bit of Meghan's laid-back style on her Instagram, as well as in plenty of her fashion shoots and fashion-related interviews that are still up on Youtube. So we don't need to necessarily start from scratch due to the Tig being closed down. Wading through Instagram pics takes a bit more time and effort. As well, some of the pictures are no longer up, but the last time I looked there was still quite a bit there which is generous of Meghan to leave up for her pre-Harry fans. There are some gems there that I found to be revealing of Meghan's delightful style & personality.

In these fashion clips, Meghan told us about her style cues in her own words. Very revealing:

Old 12-22-2017, 12:23 AM
Courtier

First off - since I've been away and missed EVERYTHING, I want to say that I liked her Christmas Luncheon dress. I've always liked Self Portrait and have a few in my closet... But my favorite part of her outfit were the earrings.

They confirm for me that Meghan is a modern classic woman in terms of her style. Instead of the basic and traditional drop earrings, she chose a diamond stud with a dropped stud ear jacket. LOVE! I love earrings with jackets and she chose that in diamond studs.

I need to find a knockoff stat! I have several more elaborate versions - now I want the simple ones!

Also - about her makeup - you can still see her freckles - she's not wearing a ton of makeup. She just has good, even toned skin. It's a blessing called melanin. She has less than I do, but same effect. I had some professional photos done and I'm wearing barely any makeup, but people think I have on more because I used some powder, mascara and blush, when I go bare faced a lot. My sister has it even better, she doesn't wear foundation at all, but with some lipstick and mascara, she magically looks fully made up. I hate her, lol.

And now for her engagement attire! SWOON! OMG I am over the moon happy about that Ralph & Russo gown! I'm a little bummed that she probably won't pick them for her wedding now, but oh - I loved it! And the photojournalistic style of the photos! My GOD! It's extremely hard sometimes to photograph people with different skin tones so both look great - but the lighting in the picture does her and Harry such justice! And the sheer (with nude lining, obviously) bodice of the gown complemented her skintone so well.

Love the white sweater she wore in the more casual picture - she looks amazing in the shades of white she chooses.

I get that there is some weeping and gnashing of teeth over the gown's cost, but 1) she didn't pay that much (see below) and 2) this dress will be seen again and 3) pretty sure she paid for it herself - she makes millions, she can easily afford that gown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Considering it was last year's design, I'd be surprised if it wasn't on discount. Would that make people feel better?
If she bought the dress now, she most definitely didn't purchase it for full price. It was likely at least 40-50% off.

How do I know this? I regularly shop at Valentino, at a specific Valentino store. I have a great relationship with the store associates and when they do their private sale, I get an email with a list of what they have so I can buy before the public ever gets a chance to see the items (and I get a steep discount: 40-50% at least). Then after I (and other people on the special list) get a crack at the items, they put them out on the floor for the public.

And I'm not even a celebrity, or a royal that the entire world is looking at.

Given that, I'm certain Meghan didn't pay more than 40% of the cost of that gown. Especially since it's old (from 2016). It also could have been a sample, etc.. there are so many ways this could have happened.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:19 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
The engagement pictures are very sweet, the white sweater very good, soft and tactile. The dress was a mistake. She is wearing a ball gown and he is wearing an almost casual blue suit which could make you think they are not in sync, not a good projection for an engagement photo. Not that I think they aren’t, but that is why it is a mistake. Either one of them should have dressed to the level of the other. Also, don’t like the bottom of the dress, the top is very pretty and a good color for her.
Totally agree with you 100%, I like them together, they are so in tune with each other, I just did not like that gown period......they do not appear in sycn at all in that picture, she is in an evening gown like she is coming home for a party and he is going to work at the bank......the very first thing a person sees in a picture or being introduced to someone is their appearance/clothes......that is a given, there is no way getting around that.....appearances count Period! So for me this gown is not something that goes with Harry or vice versa......they are not in sync here yet in looking at the 2nd picture they are surely in sync there, they are bounded and in love and have deep joy in each other.....sweater is fine, that is no big deal.....it is her choice for the gown that I think is what is of concern here, then this I honestly think there are lots of people out there and here that do not get the fact that there is a huge difference between being a celebrity and royal.........2 totally different worlds that they live in and play in regardless of what some say that royals are not prevalent anymore.

(..)
Old 12-22-2017, 01:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionMaven View Post

And now for her engagement attire! SWOON! OMG I am over the moon happy about that Ralph & Russo gown! I'm a little bummed that she probably won't pick them for her wedding now, but oh - I loved it! And the photojournalistic style of the photos! My GOD! It's extremely hard sometimes to photograph people with different skin tones so both look great - but the lighting in the picture does her and Harry such justice! And the sheer (with nude lining, obviously) bodice of the gown complemented her skintone so well.

Love the white sweater she wore in the more casual picture - she looks amazing in the shades of white she chooses.

I get that there is some weeping and gnashing of teeth over the gown's cost, but 1) she didn't pay that much (see below) and 2) this dress will be seen again and 3) pretty sure she paid for it herself - she makes millions, she can easily afford that gown.

If she bought the dress now, she most definitely didn't purchase it for full price. It was likely at least 40-50% off.

How do I know this? I regularly shop at Valentino, at a specific Valentino store. I have a great relationship with the store associates and when they do their private sale, I get an email with a list of what they have so I can buy before the public ever gets a chance to see the items. Then after I (and other people on the special list) get a crack at the items, they put them out on the floor for the public.

And I'm not even a celebrity, or a royal that the entire world is looking at.

Given that, I'm certain Meghan didn't pay more than 40% of the cost of that gown. Especially since it's old (from 2016). It also could have been a sample, etc.. there are so many ways this could have happened.
Ok, great to finally find someone that loves this gown. I canít ever pull this off personally, but this is a BEAUTIFUL gown. The needlework and the top is amazing. The tulle skirt serves as a nice contrast to the fitted top. I know some found Harryís suit to be too relaxed compared to this dress, but I actually loved it. I thought this is so Meghan and quite frankly they looked high fashion. And no, that doesnít mean Hollywood. I only wish Hollywood can look more like high fashion. I think sheís taking a chance here. I initially loved the sweater photo more because wowzer, talk about chemistry between those two. However, the more I look at this portrait, the more I like whatís going on here. Itís a lot more interesting from a fashion perspective. If heís more dressy, I think itís be quite boring. Itíd just looked like they had pretty clothes and put it on. However, there is some sense of satirical humor with everything. I know people are so sick of Harry in blue suits, so am I, but this is one time I can look past.

And yes, Iíve been to sample sales and prices arenít the same as they are in stores. I highly doubt all the stylists pay retail for these things. She has ways to procure those pieces through different channels. Itís also couture, which sometimes isnít exactly easy to sell. With it being the only piece, itís only as expensive as they can find a buyer for.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

Their must be other photos than what Iíve seen. A few people have commented on a white jumper I can only see a very small area of white shoulder which I canít see what style etc etc
Old 12-22-2017, 01:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Totally agree with you 100%, I like them together, they are so in tune with each other, I just did not like that gown period......they do not appear in sycn at all in that picture, she is in an evening gown like she is coming home for a party and he is going to work at the bank......the very first thing a person sees in a picture or being introduced to someone is their appearance/clothes......that is a given, there is no way getting around that.....appearances count Period! So for me this gown is not something that goes with Harry or vice versa......they are not in sync here yet in looking at the 2nd picture they are surely in sync there, they are bounded and in love and have deep joy in each other.....sweater is fine, that is no big deal.....it is her choice for the gown that I think is what is of concern here, then this I honestly think there are lots of people out there and here that do not get the fact that there is a huge difference between being a celebrity and royal.........2 totally different worlds that they live in and play in regardless of what some say that royals are not prevalent anymore.

(..)
You realize this is ONE dress, right? And for a special occasion. If this is a typical thing from her, I can see your point. However, what we’ve seen is that this dress is atypical for her clothing. There are times where glamour is needed and a good thing. While royals aren’t celebrity, they do realize the need for that. People are acting like she’s out of touch and just want to play dress up all day, and that’s just not what’s been happening. She dressed appropriately for Nottingham and I have no doubt she’ll be dressing for work when it’s time to work. But this is her time and her engagement photo. It’s not work, and it shouldn’t be work. With the way people have been acting, I almost wish they just have an entirely private wedding and do whatever they want and not let the outside in. People always seem to find something wrong with everything and then blow one dress completely out of proportion. They are being generous by sharing those special moments with us, but with the way people are acting, it’s just not worth it.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, it IS worth it, jacqui, though I know how you feel as there has been so much criticism about the wedding date and then Meghan's engagement clothing (and I did like the top). Harry and Meghan are going to have an absolutely terrific wedding that will knock everybody for six. I can feel it, and I'm so looking forward to it!
Old 12-22-2017, 01:50 AM
Courtier

Quote:

(..)
If Meghan and Harry hadn't posted that candid shot, most people wouldn't have realized she was wearing a ballgown. Most people thought she was wearing a top/skirt and not even a dress.

If you take the engagement photo at face value and forget what you don't see in the picture, they are in sync. It's only because you know it's a full ballgown (because they were nice enough to share a candid photo) that any contrast is seen.

But even with her wearing a gown - I still think she and Harry look wonderful together and I love that they are not matching in color. I love that Harry's suit gives the photo more color and depth - much like the nude-backed black sheer bodice of Meghan's gown gives more depth.

And of course - they just look SO happy. I hope everyone who wants to finds love as they obviously have.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Yes, it IS worth it, jacqui, though I know how you feel as there has been so much criticism about the wedding date and then Meghan's engagement clothing (and I did like the top). Harry and Meghan are going to have an absolutely terrific wedding that will knock everybody for six. I can feel it, and I'm so looking forward to it!
Oh, I donít mean not for us. For me, Iím always happy to support the moments of celebration this couple is willing to share with us in their love story. I meant a itís almost not worth for them to go through the trouble sharing all of this with the public only to have it shredded into pieces over something trivial.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:16 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionMaven View Post
If Meghan and Harry hadn't posted that candid shot, most people wouldn't have realized she was wearing a ballgown. Most people thought she was wearing a top/skirt and not even a dress.

If you take the engagement photo at face value and forget what you don't see in the picture, they are in sync. It's only because you know it's a full ballgown (because they were nice enough to share a candid photo) that any contrast is seen.

But even with her wearing a gown - I still think she and Harry look wonderful together and I love that they are not matching in color. I love that Harry's suit gives the photo more color and depth - much like the nude-backed black sheer bodice of Meghan's gown gives more depth.

And of course - they just look SO happy. I hope everyone who wants to finds love as they obviously have.
I was thinking this as well. In the seated photo you don't really see much of the dress. It could have been as you say an elegant top and skirt.

Without the candid photo and more especially without the picture of the runway model wearing the actual see through version of the dress there wouldn't have been all the gasping about the "inappropriate" sheer dress when in the photos it is clear Meghan's version is lined.

And yes, the love and happiness radiates from those photos.

Closed Thread