The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 04:32 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I completely agree. I am not at all impressed with the HGD's sense of fashion and style(or lack of) but she doesn't seem to forget that she is not a starlet on the red carpet.

I can't stand it when Royal princesses seem to be constantly seeking the cameras. It drives me bonkers.
definitely. stephanie has something very genuine going on about her. she understands that her role is about fostering relations and making things happen and not being 'the star of the show'. sadly, we see the complete opposite in other (mostly female) royals out there, so she is a refreshing take on what modern royalty should be about. i say chapeau to her - she concentrates on what really matters and doesn't give in to what people think (mostly all the criticism towards how she dresses). she seems articulate, clever, down to earth. yes, her clothing can be improved but it is what's beneath that really counts and stephanie has great depth to her whatever she wears. (or would people rather have a bimbo consort who is a fashionista but then copies a former first lady in her first speech to the world, thinking no one would notice? hint, hint! you probably know who i am referring to!)

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 11-29-2016, 10:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes it was a giant plastic hair Clio in her hair. Just because she is careless in her grooming, doesn't make her more authentic, it just makes her careless.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:32 AM
Serene Highness

I think all the Princesses are who they are there is nothing wrong with caring about your appearance and making an effort that is part of their job.
I think all the Princesses do their jobs and care about their causes , Stephanie is no different than the others.
She may be nice but I for one believe she can be a real tough cookie, going back to the engagement and the look she gave Gui when he took something off her face. If looks could kill he would have been dead.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:41 AM
Majesty

I suppose it's all about perceptions.

I have viewed that video dozens of times and I saw nothing but surprise and self-consciousness when Gui tenderly wiped a wisp of hair away from his fiancee's face. I sense that she is not comfortable with public displays of affection, it comes across loud and clear.

But so what if she is a "tough cookie"? It means she is following in the footsteps of her mother-in-law, who is also alleged to be a tough cookie and sometimes much worse. Stephanie will need to be tough. Good for her, I say!

I don't see anything wrong with being well presented and well dressed(It's why I frequently gush over Charlene of Monaco).

I simply don't think that's the most important job of a Royal(even though it's obviously the most important visually and obviously for the purposes of a fashion thread.)

I find the HGD far less grating than two certain princesses who come immediately to mind who are always grinning in the direction of the cameras , obviously delighted to have attention on themselves. I think it's just tacky and undignified.

Having said that...yes I agree. The plastic hair clips are simply awful.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 11-30-2016, 12:02 PM
Serene Highness

We see different things, this is a fashion thread so we discuss her style. Her character is not what this thread is about.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:58 PM
Majesty

This thread IS about fashion, you are right. But since opinions were formulated about the HGD's character and personality in this thread I responded to them.

A poorly dressed woman can mean that the said women is "careless" as posted above or it can mean that she is simply clueless.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 11-30-2016, 01:39 PM
Serene Highness

I think maybe Stephanie is a little of both careless at times and clueless as to what looks good on her.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:46 PM
Majesty

I agree with you 100%. And I do wish she'd get it together because a)she has a lot of potential and can look fantastic as we've seen and b)she is going to be the wife of a Head of State and she owes it to her husband and their future subjects.

But having said that, I still like her and root for her.

Old 11-30-2016, 10:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
This thread IS about fashion, you are right. But since opinions were formulated about the HGD's character and personality in this thread I responded to them.

A poorly dressed woman can mean that the said women is "careless" as posted above or it can mean that she is simply clueless.
Clueless is no excuse for a professional, grown married woman. She should evaluate how she is doing her job, what her speeches are like, how she sounds, walks, if her clothes fit and photograph well and how her hair looks. If she thinks she is just fine in every way, maybe get a second opinion from some experts. Notice that her hair is almost always done well, she must have decided to entrust that to professionals, or simply Cares more about her hair.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:50 AM
Majesty

Yes, her hair is usually perfect but perhaps her hairdresser was away. However, when I cringe at those awful pants she wears, half the reason is that she I believe she is not paying any less than any of the other woman in the family to wear clothes that either don't fit or don't suit her very well.

In short, she needs a dresser to ensure that her clothes coordinate, her trousers don't drag on the floor (I love shoes and often miss hers) and tell her that something she likes does nothing for her.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:29 AM
Royal Highness

After 4+ years as HGD, Stephanie's style isn't likely to change unless she: a) decides to change on her own b) suffers a horrible wardrobe malfunction that forces her into action c) someone gives her constructive criticism and she accepts it

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if she simply wore Natan most of the time. It would be a baseline at least.

Maria Teresa has worn bigger hair clips but she get away with it because her hair is short so it looks like a nice updo. I don't think anyone in the GDF has stylists/dressers. Maybe only for special events.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:41 AM
Majesty

Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume and Hereditary Grand Duchess Stephanie attended the evening dedicated to the craftsmen of the exhibition "Masters of Masters, Art of Crafts and Crafts of Art in Luxembourg" in the new buildings of the Bank and Caisse d'Epargne of the State in Luxembourg.

Beautiful appearance!

https://scontent.fath4-1.fna.fbcdn.n...60&oe=58BFF9F3
Old 12-01-2016, 12:24 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
Clueless is no excuse for a professional, grown married woman. She should evaluate how she is doing her job, what her speeches are like, how she sounds, walks, if her clothes fit and photograph well and how her hair looks. If she thinks she is just fine in every way, maybe get a second opinion from some experts. Notice that her hair is almost always done well, she must have decided to entrust that to professionals, or simply Cares more about her hair.

Her speeches sound just fine to me. And if there is a real problem with how she is doing her job as HGD it is up to Grand Duke Henri as Head of the Grand Ducal House to lay down the law to her.

The fact that she continues as she is tells me that the people of the Grand Duchy are not complaining and therefore her parents in law are not unhappy with her.

The future of the dynasty is ultimately the responsibility of the Head just as it it in all the other monarchies...like Britain, Denmark, Sweden etc and Henri and Maria Teresa seem as image conscious as any of them.

As for fashion and grooming, ITA 100% that a stylist is desperately needed. I just don't begin to understand what's going on in that direction. But as Prisma pointed out, I don't think anyone in that family is anything to write home about fashion wise...not MT, not Tessy, not Alexandra, not Claire.

The closest anyone comes to being consistently elegant and stylish is Princess Sibilla.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume and Hereditary Grand Duchess Stephanie attended the evening dedicated to the craftsmen of the exhibition "Masters of Masters, Art of Crafts and Crafts of Art in Luxembourg" in the new buildings of the Bank and Caisse d'Epargne of the State in Luxembourg.

Beautiful appearance!

https://scontent.fath4-1.fna.fbcdn.n...60&oe=58BFF9F3
Another real lovely dress, love the detail. Her hair looks fantastic. She has been stepping it up lately
Old 12-01-2016, 12:57 PM
Majesty

poor stephanie. i guess no one will ever give her a break.

i do love seeing the glamour of royalty (epitomized by the likes of charlene), but someone who does a good job is high up my list, even if her clothing isn't completely right or her hair isn't perfect. as far as i know, stephanie has never shown up in anything inappropriate or compromising. perhaps boring, yes. i would even give you ill-fitted at times, but to signal that she is not doing her job well because she dresses in 'normal' clothes is going a bit too far.

can we not just agree that some people may not enjoy/feel comfortable with dressing up to the nines?
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 12-01-2016, 01:01 PM
Heir Apparent

we are on a fashion thread so we we here to discuss her fashion. Now if this was her current events and we were griping about clothes I could understand.

I do agree though, her lack of fashion in no way reflects her inability to do her job and do it well. Reality though, she her you are a princess or a nurse or anything in between, how you present yourself at work will always be critiqued
Old 12-01-2016, 01:07 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think anyone expects her to be always dressed to the 9's. I think what is expected is when they (royals representing their country) are 'working' they should be dressed well. Stephanie has really struggled with this. She needs a stylist at least until she learns what to wear/not wear.

LaRae
Old 12-01-2016, 01:08 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
we are on a fashion thread so we we here to discuss her fashion. Now if this was her current events and we were griping about clothes I could understand.
indeed, we are in a fashion thread - then why are we discussing her competence as a princess and her ability to represent luxembourg based on that?

i completely agree that we are all judged on how we look, more so public personalities. and it would be great if stephanie could be a great princess and dress fabulous. but the fact that her clothes are not something we like does not reflect on her ability to represent her country.

would posters prefer a princess who attends an event for the main reason of wearing her latest glitzy gala dress, or one that genuinely cares about attending the event for the event itself and for the effect it can have in their country or the organizations they support? i know exactly what my choice would be. now, if she could do the last wearing a glitzy dress... i won't argue. but if i was attending an event with a royal, i would much rather they engaged with me and discussed with me about my work than worry about how they look.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:37 PM
Royal Highness

As unfair as it is, women’s clothes/style are judged more than men’s. Especially those in the public eye. There is more variety than a man’s standard business suit. Some of HGD Guillaume’s suits are too tight but no one cares or questions his competency.

Stephanie’s appearance at the art exhibition on 11/30 is lovely. Here’s a bigger photo and the coat looks like the grey version of the orange coat worn for the tour of Luxembourg on Place Royale.

Her outfit at the Info-Handicap conference on 11/29 is blah. Again those pants and slightly snug jacket but the other women aren’t that much better.
https://blobsvc.wort.lu/picture/7458...c1930c4995ff6b

Nevertheless, I like the HGD and root for her as well.

ETA: fixed photo link
Old 12-01-2016, 02:46 PM
Majesty

As a woman whose great joy as a child was dressing her Barbie dolls and styling their hair Stephanie is sometimes a great frustration to me. She is quite a lovely young woman, flawlessly educated, grand historical family background, never vulgar in appearance or demeanor though mostly a tad frumpy and too old for her age of 32 years.

In other words perfect Royal princess material for a change, which is one of the reasons I was drawn to her from the start.

But it's the little things(fashion wise) where she consistently flops and that's what I don't understand. I can see from looking at photos of the other Grand Ducal women and from other women in the Grand Duchy that Luxembourg is not exactly a fashion hot bed but plastic butterfly clips in the hair are a huge NO NO unless you are out doing laundry.

I still think her husband, her family and the Grand Duchy have every reason to be very proud of her...how many other young Royal women would have been chosen to entertain the Russian delegation to their respective countries because they were familiar with the language and culture of that country? But as I posted earlier if all goes according to plan she is going to be the wife of a Head of State and needs to step up it up fashion wise.

She looks lovely in those photos above!

Closed Thread

Tags
hereditary grand duchess stéphanie, hereditary grand duchess stéphanie's fashion & style, princess stephanie, princess stéphanie's daytime outfits, princess stéphanie's evening gowns, princess stéphanie's fashion & style