Hereditary Grand Duchess Stéphanie's Fashion & Style Part 4: Dec 2013 - Dec 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Stephanie's smile is worth hundreds of thousands of words!! :flowers::flowers::flowers:

:previous:Yes she does have the most beautiful smile of all the royal ladies, she seems shy and not pushy at all. Gracious is the word for her.:)

They opened Euroweek and the jacket is awful . There also another event she is wearing a peach suit with cream .

A picture is worth a thousand words.
Stephanie's smile is worth hundreds of thousands of words!! :flowers::flowers::flowers:
And didn't we see exactly that in Japan when she met the Emperor and Empress. Check out her face as she curtseys. She absolutely shines.

I was really impressed with her hairstyle and loved the simplicity of her royal blue scoop-necked dress with it's gored skirt and matching court shoes. It's simple flared skirt enabled her to execute a truely elegant curtsey.

Okay, so the skirt could have been a little longer but it's gored skirt more than compensated.

https://ru-royalty.livejournal.com/2524492.html

All these outfits are quite awful, especially the first one at the opening of Euroweek. And I agree, the dress is too short for a meeting with the emperor and the empress. And Stéphanie looked really uncomfortable in it. The coat at the photo with Naruhito is nice, but makes Stéphanie look so big.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the blue dress she doesn't look uncomfortable to me. The rest of the pieces can go away. She apparently buys what she likes and wears it with no consideration of how it looks on her.

I like the blue dress she doesn't look uncomfortable to me. The rest of the pieces can go away. She apparently buys what she likes and wears it with no consideration of how it looks on her.

I thought the blue dress was absolutely fine. The rest really did not, IMO, work for her.

I agree, I thought the dress for meeting the Emperor and Empress was too short. If it had hit just below the knee I would have thought differently. Also, the blue coat dress she wore when meeting the CP of Japan did her no favors. She just looked boxy. Not thrilled with her wardrobe so far.

Everything she had on, with the exception of the blue dress which was too short, did not fit her at all. Either too tight, all the jackets looked as if the buttons would pop off, or too loose, the trousers, the coat, the white blouse. Also, the white coat looked too big and blah.She also seems to favor linen which is very hard to wear.
Her hair looks nice, the color is more even and the cut is more flattering.
Having a nice smile is no excuse for wearing ill fitting clothes, nobody would give her husband that pass.
Also, I can now see that she must be pretty short as she is not much taller than the emperor,empress. That is why the long jackets she favor, and many of the cut up fussy pants or skirt combos she favors are no good. The one color long line of the dark blue dress is the direction she should be moving

Last edited:
The Japan tour outfits:
None of them caught my eye but she hasn't been in her worst either.

White coat: She looks good. The coat is nice and the fit isn't that bad. The lenght is appropriate.
Grey coat/trousers: Her worst so far. The trousers are ill-fitting and way too long. The jacket doesn't suit her. It seems too small, there is another photo seen from the back where it looks even worse.
Meeting the emperors: I like it. The colour looks fantastic on her and the dress fits her well. It should have just been a little bit longer.
Meeting CP: Again, a tad too short. But the coat is beautiful and looks great on her.

She is in need of help[ all the outfits COULD have looked fine but the were ill fitting the wrong cut too many buttons etc IMO.

All looks are so so because the clothes are poorly fitted. I think that Hereditary Grand Duchess Stephanie must splurge on a tailor and a professional stylist/ fashion consultant to improve her looks.

Last edited:
The last outfits in Japan:

Dress : Lovely colour on her but again not the best fit. Not liking the choice of nude shoes for this dress.

Trousers+Blazer: A typical Stephanie outfit. Not liking it. The colours wash her out, the trousers have a terrible cut and the jacket looks too small.

:previous: I love the colour of her red dress. For me, one can't go wrong with the colour red as it suits a lot of royals, and Stephanie is no exception. However I do agree with you on the fitting of the dress. It looks like she chose the next couple of sizes up from her usual size.

I actually really like the last outfit she wore to Japan. Whilst the colours are a little plain, they are very 'Stephanie' and therefore look good on her. There's something about her trousers though that make the outfit give off quite a casual feel to the look, as if she is out shopping rather than performing a royal engagement.

:previous: I love the colour of her red dress. For me, one can't go wrong with the colour red as it suits a lot of royals, and Stephanie is no exception. However I do agree with you on the fitting of the dress. It looks like she chose the next couple of sizes up from her usual size.

I actually really like the last outfit she wore to Japan. Whilst the colours are a little plain, they are very 'Stephanie' and therefore look good on her. There's something about her trousers though that make the outfit give off quite a casual feel to the look, as if she is out shopping rather than performing a royal engagement.

With the exception of tiara occasions, her clothes generally have a casual look; shopping; going to the office, feel about them.

she might be a very nice person chock full of good intentions but she has not become "royal" and it is evident in her clothes and demeanor. And to be honest Guillaume has never struckme as "royal " either.

Ithink she is the only royal that gets a free pass about her clothes by the majority on this thread.

I was expecting better by now so Im disappointed.

:previous:
I believe that Hereditary Grand Duchess Stephanie stopped getting a free pass about her clothes long time ago. She has been criticised for poorly fitted/matched ensembles and a fondess for huge scarves. At the same time, remarks has not become acerbic and cutting due to a lack of ardent fans and a lower media profile.

Last edited:
I don't think she has much style at all. Having said that I think the blue dress for meeting the Emperor and Empress was fine - I think the length is fine.

:previous:
I believe that Hereditary Grand Duchess Stephanie stopped getting a free pass about her clothes long time ago. She has been criticised for poorly fitted/matched ensembles and a fondess for huge scarves. At the same time, remarks has not become acerbic and cutting due to a lack of ardent fans and a lower media profile.

I agree. There has been no "free pass" or anything close. When she looks awful she is called on it, and when she looks lovely(as she did when meeting Their Imperial Majesties, imo) she gets credit.

There is style, and then there is "Stephanie style" and I have learned to accept the difference. With the exception of her wedding day, she is not going to stand out and I am beginning to believe she doesn't even want to. At least she and Guillaume seem conscientious and dignified and aware of their position, which is a hell of a lot more than I can say for most of the other young Royals.

Having a good sense of style is not what makes a man or woman Royal. But having said that, Stephanie needs to set fire to those baggy pants she favors and never, ever think of wearing anything like them again.

Last edited:
Hereditary Grand Duchess Stéphanie's Fashion & Style Part 4: December 2013 -

I agree. There has been no "free pass" or anything close. When she looks awful she is called on it, and when she looks lovely(as she did when meeting Their Imperial Majesties, imo) she gets credit.

There is style, and then there is "Stephanie style" and I have learned to accept the difference. With the exception of her wedding day, she is not going to stand out and I am beginning to believe she doesn't even want to. At least she and Guillaume seem conscientious and dignified and aware of their position, which is a hell of a lot more than I can say for most of the other young Royals.

Having a good sense of style is not what makes a man or woman Royal. But having said that, Stephanie needs to set fire to those baggy pants she favors and never, ever think of wearing anything like them again.

Well said!! I always have a read at the comments made about Stephanie's clothes and her individual style. The comments are varied and in most cases fair. It is a sad indication of the perception of some, that 'royalty' demands style and a designer wardrobe. If this were the case then other 'royals' could certainly not wear the title that they enjoy at present! Stephanie obviously has more important things to do then be a mannequin for royal watchers.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

Stephanie dresses like the Royals from my mother's heyday. She is slightly frumpy, but rarely or never inappropriate. (We have never and will never see her underwear or her private areas, for example).

She has completely mastered the difficult dialect of her adopted country in less than two years time, which in my opinion is a far more impressive and "Royal" accomplishment than making somebody's Best Dressed list.

[QUOTE

Having a good sense of style is not what makes a man or woman Royal. [/QUOTE] I was the poster who said I don't think she has style. I categorically did NOT say it makes someone royal. And I don't think that. This is a fashion thread - I believe I am allowed to have opinions which relate to fashion.

And didn't we see exactly that in Japan when she met the Emperor and Empress. Check out her face as she curtseys. She absolutely shines.

I was really impressed with her hairstyle and loved the simplicity of her royal blue scoop-necked dress with it's gored skirt and matching court shoes. It's simple flared skirt enabled her to execute a truely elegant curtsey.

Okay, so the skirt could have been a little longer but it's gored skirt more than compensated.

I absolutely love these pictures :flowers: filled with radiance!

[QUOTE

Having a good sense of style is not what makes a man or woman Royal.
I was the poster who said I don't think she has style. I categorically did NOT say it makes someone royal. And I don't think that. This is a fashion thread - I believe I am allowed to have opinions which relate to fashion.[/QUOTE]

I was not criticizing you at all, I was responding to the general idea that if a person is not stylish or glamorous, he or she is not a true Royal. I am sorry you misunderstood me, Florestane.

For the record, I don't think she has much style either, so I actually agree with you and the other posters who have expressed this opinion. She seems to have other good qualities but a sense of fashion just isn't one.

Last edited:
Oh well, Captain Paranoia was sitting on my shoulder! ?
To be honest, I also think what she wears is fine - she's neat, tidy and clean and "appropriate" with a sweet smile and without hogging the limelight. I just would like to see her look more her age in her clothes choices...

BTW :flowers: I see something a tad different from what others are seeing in the curtsy pictures. To execute a curtsy like that one needs the 'cooperation' of the person one is curtsying before and needs to maintain physical center. The handhold is key to balance (or one's own core strength). I do believe Stephanie and the Empress were having a bit of an in-joke at that moment as the Empress (may have) (significantly) helped steady Stephanie in the maneuver which was perilously 'off-center' and in danger of a 'pitch forward', which the Empress deftly helped to avoid. JMO. ;)

Last edited:
Oh well, Captain Paranoia was sitting on my shoulder! ��
To be honest, I also think what she wears is fine - she's neat, tidy and clean and "appropriate" with a sweet smile and without hogging the limelight. I just would like to see her look more her age in her clothes choices...

BINGO...told ya we are in agreement!;)

Lady Nimue, you may be right about the curtsey. I thought the Empress had just shaken hands with Stephanie and maintained hand contact during the requisite courtesy. That is usually what happens when Royals greet one another, as opposed to when they meet non-Royals they let go of the person's hand as soon as they've shaken it.

I'd have to see it on video to be certain. But in still photos, it looks graceful and perfectly executed imo.

Last edited:
Some of Stephanie's outfits are very nice for the trip to Japan, whilst others are a little ill-fitted. Empress Michiko looked very nice as usual though, I like the detailing on her outfit.

Everything she had on, with the exception of the blue dress which was too short, did not fit her at all. Either too tight, all the jackets looked as if the buttons would pop off, or too loose, the trousers, the coat, the white blouse. Also, the white coat looked too big and blah.She also seems to favor linen which is very hard to wear.
Her hair looks nice, the color is more even and the cut is more flattering.
Having a nice smile is no excuse for wearing ill fitting clothes, nobody would give her husband that pass.
Also, I can now see that she must be pretty short as she is not much taller than the emperor,empress. That is why the long jackets she favor, and many of the cut up fussy pants or skirt combos she favors are no good. The one color long line of the dark blue dress is the direction she should be moving
Actually, I can't see any difference to her hair. It looks as if she had the ends trimmed and that's it. The saving grace is that her updos are never boring but I don't see much 'style' when she wears it down.

The Japan tour outfits:
None of them caught my eye but she hasn't been in her worst either.

White coat: She looks good. The coat is nice and the fit isn't that bad. The lenght is appropriate.
Grey coat/trousers: Her worst so far. The trousers are ill-fitting and way too long. The jacket doesn't suit her. It seems too small, there is another photo seen from the back where it looks even worse.
Meeting the emperors: I like it. The colour looks fantastic on her and the dress fits her well. It should have just been a little bit longer.
Meeting CP: Again, a tad too short. But the coat is beautiful and looks great on her.
You hit the nail on the head. I didn't like anything but the blue dress, which is probably why I gave it a pass even though it should have been longer.

Have to agree the pants need to go!

BTW :flowers: I see something a tad different from what others are seeing in the curtsy pictures. To execute a curtsy like that one needs the 'cooperation' of the person one is curtsying before and needs to maintain physical center. The handhold is key to balance (or one's own core strength). I do believe Stephanie and the Empress were having a bit of an in-joke at that moment as the Empress (may have) (significantly) helped steady Stephanie in the maneuver which was perilously 'off-center' and in danger of a 'pitch forward', which the Empress deftly helped to avoid. JMO. ;)
It is very possible you are correct, in which case both ladies pulled off a wonderfully elegant recovery with perfect grace and shared a wonderfully knowing smile.

You make a very valid point here. Stephanie is not getting a free pass and I don't think I saw a scarf on the Tokyo visit (but I could be wrong). Like you i think this thread has remained a bit like Stephanie herself, cringe at the fashion but admire the way she handles herself with a grace and dignity beyond her years.

I like Stephanie but her fashion sense falls mainly in the "miss" category, which is probably why I appreciate her personal style, gracious manner and beautiful smile. But I have to admit, on the rare occasion she gets it totally right, the whole package blows you away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom