Hereditary Grand Duchess Stéphanie's Fashion & Style Part 3: June - December 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
True Eloise. I just think she needs a little more color in her life. She is a lovely girl and very modest Im sure, I would just like to see her have more confidence in herself and maybe step out of the box a little.

The peach dress is very sweet on Stephanie, and I really love the red and white combination. She looks elegant, and her hair is gorgeous.

The cut and style of the dress are becoming to Princess Stephanie, however, I'm not too fond of the color. I agree, she needs brighter or deeper colors. Her hair looks better, but,
the dreaded scarf has reared its ugly head again. :bang:

But, she's sweet, and seems genuinely gracious, kind and in love with her husband - and that all shines through. I'm still impressed with her.

I do not see Stephanie as plain. She is not a cookie-cutter copy of other women, but I think she is beautiful.

She seems to like plain outfits and thats fine with me. This one works well for her. Its a nice cut and the belt from the same fabric also works very well. The colour is nice, young and fresh. She could've worn a nice necklace to dress it up a bit so its not so bold looking.

Stéphanie looked very pretty in the peach dress and her latest appearance in the red & white combination! Great to see her out and about, she is such a charming lady and I am very happy to see that she seems to adjust well to her new public role.
I would not call her style "plain" because to me it has a rather negative connotation similar to boring or dull, maybe it could be called simple or demure :)
Audrey Hepburn also used to wear very minimalistic, refined outfits without too many fussy adornments or too many different colours and I believe that Stéphanie is doing well by chosing elegant,well-tailored pieces.
As someone has written "elegance is simplicity devoid of all unnecessary elements" :flowers:

Last edited:
She dresses way to old, IMO. It's like she borrows clothes from her MIL. the duchess of cambridge dresses appropriately, but less old ladyish.

:previous: I too think she takes a lot of her fashion cues from her M-I-L. Don't get me wrong, I think M-T dresses very well and is obviously a very affectionate M-I-L, however, Stephanie can wait a couple of decades before she settles into the same style.

I just think Stephanie is gently feeling her way in most areas but, lacks confidence in the Gala arena and leans toward M-T for advice. One thing both she and M-T seem to have in common is their devout faith and that is always going to impact on their personal style.

She dresses way to old, IMO. It's like she borrows clothes from her MIL. the duchess of cambridge dresses appropriately, but less old ladyish.

I agree with you, I think Stephanie is probably dressed in clothing that is either for an older woman, or perhaps just a bit "plain". The Duchess of Cambridge appears to get it right most times.

This is hardly a major criticism. IMO, it will take her a little while to find her feet sartorially, and I am sure she will get there as she gets more comfortable in her public role.

I think 'we' just may have to accept that this is her style and her comfort level. She will probably never be as trendy/hip (whatever word) as the DoC. She seems very conservative so it's unlikely she will change her style much.

LaRae

I like her look at the Merode wedding far better than the J-C Memorial Concert. The peach dress was not flattering to her figure, imo.

Stephanie herself said during her engagement period that having grown up around people who were significantly older than herself(both parents and siblings) she is most comfortable around older people. I wish her fashion choices were more youthful, but her clothes don't surprise me honestly.

BTW, isn't Stephanie a cousin of the Merodes?

Last edited:
I think 'we' just may have to accept that this is her style and her comfort level. She will probably never be as trendy/hip (whatever word) as the DoC. She seems very conservative so it's unlikely she will change her style much.

LaRae
Definitely comparing apples and oranges there. Stephanie tends toward a more sophisticated style and, IMHO, just needs time to find her fashion feet in what is really a very new environment. I mean, I can't imagine that paparazzi were dogging the steps of the de Lannoy family in general, or Stephanie in particular, to any great extent until her relationship to the Prince Guillaume came to light and even after the engagement it was still relatively low profile.

Definitely comparing apples and oranges there. Stephanie tends toward a more sophisticated style and, IMHO, just needs time to find her fashion feet in what is really a very new environment. I mean, I can't imagine that paparazzi were dogging the steps of the de Lannoy family in general, or Stephanie in particular, to any great extent until her relationship to the Prince Guillaume came to light and even after the engagement it was still relatively low profile.

I agree, Stephanie is in a transitional evolution regarding her new role which is evidenced with her fashion choices.

I think 'we' just may have to accept that this is her style and her comfort level. She will probably never be as trendy/hip (whatever word) as the DoC. She seems very conservative so it's unlikely she will change her style much. LaRae

She doesn't have to be trendy or hip, or even stylish. But she is the Hereditary Grand Duchess of Luxembourg- she should not be representing her country in public looking like she just rolled out of bed.

I don't think it's too much to ask that her clothes be suitable to the occasion, properly fitting/pressed, and that her hair be neatly styled. That is pretty much the minimum standard for professional dress, no matter what your job is.

She doesn't have to be trendy or hip, or even stylish. But she is the Hereditary Grand Duchess of Luxembourg- she should not be representing her country in public looking like she just rolled out of bed.

I don't think it's too much to ask that her clothes be suitable to the occasion, properly fitting/pressed, and that her hair be neatly styled. That is pretty much the minimum standard for professional dress, no matter what your job is.

She hardly looks like she rolled out of bed.

I've not cared for some of her clothing choices but I don't recall ever seeing her look unkempt.

LaRae

I agree. She makes some questionable style choices, but she doesn't look like she rolled out of bed.

I agree. I have never seen her look like that. Ever since her engagement she has represented Luxembourg with great dignity and has never committed any major faux pas. The people of the Grand Duchy are reportedly delighted with her, so if the worst that can be said of her is that she dresses badly then I think she's doing great.

She suffers in comparison to the other Royal princesses who either have a natural knack for clothes or who have hired stylists to help them. Stephanie is a pretty girl who needs some fashion/ grooming fine tuning. She is not a failure because she is not polished...how ridiculous imo.

Last edited:
I agree. I have never seen her look like that. Ever since her engagement she has represented Luxembourg with great dignity and has never committed any major faux pas. The people of the Grand Duchy are reportedly delighted with her, so if the worst that can be said of her is that she dresses badly then I think she's doing great.

She suffers in comparison to the other Royal princesses who either have a natural knack for clothes or who have hired stylists to help them. Stephanie is a pretty girl who needs some fashion/ grooming fine tuning. She is not a failure because she is not polished...how ridiculous imo.

I really like her, she may seem "unglamorous" but she brings a class and dignity to her role, traits sadly lacking on some other royal women

Actually, I would go so far as to ask for an example of:

a. Unsuitable attire for the occasion.

b. Ill fitting or unpressed attire.

c. Hair not neatly styled. And last but by no means least:

d. Representing her country in public looking like she just rolled out of bed.

And that last accusation is pretty dire!

IMO I have yet to see anything that comes even close to "badly". I think the main complaint has been that she dresses far too matronly for her age which, when you consider the age range of her sibling not to mention the age of her parents, is hardly a surprise.

I would agree that Stephanie may be seen in a more negative light than other Royal Princesses but even my favourite fashionista, Princess Mary, had more than a few less than stellar ensembles when she was just starting out. And Max? Well with her personality she can and does wear some totally outrageous ensembles. But, one thing all three of these women have in common is that there is nothing cheap, tacky or with shoddy workmanship.

I agree that with hair as fine as hers the wind may take some diabolical liberties but, she starts out with a style and we can see her face (not to mention her smile) pretty well. Which is more than can be said of some.

:previous: No, I think that is an linen jacket that would have been great for any other occasion but sitting in cars and then getting out for a walkabout . . . not so great.

That´s true, linen can quickly look "unironed" when you wear it for some time, that´s why the material is usually mixed with cotton or other materials in order to prevent it from looking "unpressed" :)
I like the colour of the lime coat/jacket,it suits her! Stéphanie prefers to wear more subdued,conservative clothes but she never looks "derangé", sometimes she has chosen unflattering colours or designs, but there has not been a style that was completely unacceptable...When she meets dignitaries like politicians, business managers and royalty it is better to dress more conservative. There are a few princesses who are more cutting-edge and modern, but I would say that every woman has her own style & personality. I do not want anyone to change into something that does not represent who they are, they should alway wear the type of clothes that makes them feel good! Of course as someone who is representing a country,the royals have make sure to look presentable and neat, but within that frame they can chose the sort of fashion that they feel comfortable with.

Last edited:
It really amuses me how her look upsets people lmao Way to go, Stephanie!

For most crown princesses, "Goodwill" is the notion of benefitting one's future subjects through public appearance and good works. For Stephanie, it's a shopping excursion.

Her smile made up for any wrinkles the jacket may have had. She's classy, and I think with time, she'll figure out what style works for her 'professional' wardrobe. For now, her sweetness should be enough. It certainly makes her husband very, very happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom