The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 09:11 AM
Courtier

I don't think the inappropriate applies to Stephanie I think dressed too old applies also not fitted properly. I think she just needs to stop dressing like her mother in-law. I would love to see how she dressed before she married was her style always so old and not tailored properly.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:12 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danishla View Post
This scarf is serious business . . . (it also looks like the Priest Stole)
Actually, that's an interesting observation. Stephanie's sister, Countess Gaelle de Lannoy, is in a Catholic religious order. Here she is attending Guillaume & Stephanie's wedding, wearing a shawl.
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/C...juOdfwVyql.jpg

Stephanie's frequency of scarves and shawls may be more about her spirituality and faith and less to do with fashion. Fashion may continue to take a back seat and not play a big role in her life as HGD, at least for now.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wearing a shawl (or similar) to a wedding is a common thing in catholic countries, specially in the more conservative families. It has to do with the old tradition that women had to cover their head when going to the church, which is not in pratice anymore in 99,99% of the churchs. Still, there are some rules of decorum of what to wear to the church and having a shawl with you is a pratical way of covering some skin that shouldn't be showing in a church. My mother always wears a shawl when she goes to a wedding and if I'm wearing a dress with straps or a deep neck, I'll wear one too.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:02 PM
Courtier

To me I understand the shawls you wear them with sleeveless dresses. The thing is the scarves she simply doesn't wear them well. take the yellow one it covers her jacket and is worn uneven so it doesn't look good.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

In this specific outfit, the scarf is the best thing, IMO, because it makes you concentrate on it and not in the shortness of the jacket or the colour shock between the yellow jacket and the navy pants (which once again have a terrible cut)
Old 11-15-2013, 05:37 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Daly View Post
Actually, that's an interesting observation. Stephanie's sister, Countess Gaelle de Lannoy, is in a Catholic religious order. Here she is attending Guillaume & Stephanie's wedding, wearing a shawl.
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/C...juOdfwVyql.jpg

Stephanie's frequency of scarves and shawls may be more about her spirituality and faith and less to do with fashion. Fashion may continue to take a back seat and not play a big role in her life as HGD, at least for now.
You may well be correct.
I love scarves, shawls and stoles myself and wish I had more occasions to wear them, and more courage to wear them any other time when nobody else does!
Old 11-15-2013, 07:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
November 2012http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-1Yb6dpOCNM...9c873ba143.jpgI think that is both unfair and inaccurate. In this photo she is wearing pants and a blazer, her M-I-L was wearing the same style of ensemble. It may not flatter her but it is by no means "inappropriate".

November 2013
Visite de l'exposition "Le rêve italien de la Maison de Luxembourg" - Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg - Novembre 2013

http://www.monarchie.lu/pictures/pho..._800_thumb.jpg

Here she is in 2013 still following MT lead. I think we need to keep things in proportion. So yes it is time for her to take chance on her own style but once again what she is wearing is by no means "Inappropriate".

When she wears capri pants while standing on a dais reviewing the troops then you can say she is Inappropriately Dressed.

Again, I would like to remind people that she is very, very new to the public eye and has little experience of public appearances, etc. She is going to need more time to "get it together" than other CP's, etc. who have been in the public eye for 5 - 10 years prior to their marriage!
You misunderstood my comment, MARG. When I spoke of inappropriate clothing choices by Royal women I wasn't limiting myself to the Grand-Ducal women in that photo. You are right, there is nothing at all inappropriate about what they were wearing, and I am not sure why you concluded that was my meaning.

I was referring to the fact that there are a few Royal women in general who have indeed dressed inappropriately, and that Stephanie with her sometimes unflattering outfits is in good company.

And sorry there is nothing "unfair and inaccurate" about that statement...it's simply the truth, imo.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:05 PM
Heir Apparent

To me unflattering refers to taste, whilst inappropriate refers to temperament. So I get your distinction and thank you for providing it.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

I would further say that inappropriate refers to manners, not temperament. For example, a dress with sleeves in a cathedral is appropriate, a strapless dress is not. That is simply manners, imo.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Nothing is wrong with the way Stephanie dresses. She's always dressed appropriately for the occasion.

Could she use better tailoring? Yes. Could she be more stylish? Yes. But Stephanie hasn't put a wrong foot forward as far as the dress code is concerned.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Pam View Post
Nothing is wrong with the way Stephanie dresses. She's always dressed appropriately for the occasion.

Could she use better tailoring? Yes. Could she be more stylish? Yes. But Stephanie hasn't put a wrong foot forward as far as the dress code is concerned.
Absolutely correct. The only think she absolutely needs is to fully fit (tailor) each cloth to her body.
Hes clothes are fully tastefull, appropriate to her rank and to each circumstance.
As for dressing more stylish and trendy, i think it is her choice not to do it, it does not fit her calm personnality. Each woman has not thd mind of a top model!
I would compare Stephanie only to Q.Mathilde, as both are Belgian from old families, with similar mentality and education, It should be interesting to see how was dressing QM at her early years.
ALL the other CP come from the mibble people's class and have other mentality, we should not ask Stephanie to be like them.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:25 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Pam View Post
Nothing is wrong with the way Stephanie dresses. She's always dressed appropriately for the occasion. Could she use better tailoring? Yes. Could she be more stylish? Yes. But Stephanie hasn't put a wrong foot forward as far as the dress code is concerned.
You couldn't have said it better! At the end of the day, it comes down to modesty, dressing like a lady and dressing how you choose to. She is always dressed appropriately. Her skirts are a modest length. This is just who she is. I think in general she possible has different standards for herself.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
Absolutely correct. The only think she absolutely needs is to fully fit (tailor) each cloth to her body.
Hes clothes are fully tastefull, appropriate to her rank and to each circumstance.
As for dressing more stylish and trendy, i think it is her choice not to do it, it does not fit her calm personnality. Each woman has not thd mind of a top model!
I would compare Stephanie only to Q.Mathilde, as both are Belgian from old families, with similar mentality and education, It should be interesting to see how was dressing QM at her early years.
ALL the other CP come from the mibble people's class and have other mentality, we should not ask Stephanie to be like them.
LOL!! I said this when the engagement was first announced and was accused of exalting Stephanie because she is from the nobility. But yes you are right, it's the truth. Those women tend to have different ideas about clothes and the importance of being in vogue fashion wise.

Lady Diana Spencer was the exception here, not the rule.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
LOL!! I said this when he engagement was first announced and was accused of exalting Stephanie because she is from the nobility. But yes you are right, it's the truth. Those women tend to have different ideas about clothes and the importance of being in vogue fashion wise.

Lady Diana Spencer was the exception here, not the rule.

Snobbery. There are women of royal blood who dress appallingly and there are noble women who are just as bad. And there are a vast number of ordinary people who also dress appropriately and with an eye to fashion whether they hold an exalted position or not.

This is a blanket statement of the worst kind, as it uses "class" as a denominator.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 11-17-2013, 04:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

People tend to dress similar to their group (their group being the people they hang out with, which isn't exactly the same thing as their class, whatever a class is). Of course, there are always people who stand out from their group, but they stand out exactly because the rest of the group dresses similarly. The kind of people Stephanie dealt with all of her life (noble and conservative families of Belgium and Europe) tend to dress this way: simply, modestly, conservatively, not paying much attention to fashion, etc. And this obviously reflects on the way Stephanie dresses.
With time, as she deals with different people and a new world will be open to her, she may or not change her way of dress.

This said, I do agree that she needs a tailor and could do much better than she sometimes does. But I don't believe her style will change dramatically
Old 11-17-2013, 04:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Snobbery. There are women of royal blood who dress appallingly and there are noble women who are just as bad. And there are a vast number of ordinary people who also dress appropriately and with an eye to fashion whether they hold an exalted position or not.

This is a blanket statement of the worst kind, as it uses "class" as a denominator.
I disagree cepe. It's my own very subjective opinion based on what I have seen with my own eyes after almost 30 years of Royal watching. There is nothing snobbish about what I said. I didn't say the nobility's priorities were better after all-in fact I definitely don't- just different.

You disagree, but your opinion is not more valid than mine as it's equally subjective so please don't use your own sensitivities and resentments about class differences to label me a snob. It's untrue, and I resent it.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by julliette View Post
. . . The kind of people Stephanie dealt with all of her life (noble and conservative families of Belgium and Europe) tend to dress this way: simply, modestly, conservatively, not paying much attention to fashion, etc. And this obviously reflects on the way Stephanie dresses . . .
Stephanie's parents are more of an age that probably equates to that of her contemporaries grandparents. That and the fact that being the youngest of eight children means there is a significant age spread.

IMO those factors have influenced the way she lived and, let's face it, what looks good on a 50 year old woman looks way to old for a 30 year old but it is modest. Give her time to find her own distinct (hopefully tailored) style.

Just so long as she gets to keep her serene smile and gracefully dignified air.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Stephanie helps welcome the Belgian King and Queen to Luxembourg for their introductory visit.

Her hair looks nice. The dress is fine though so drab and ages her so much. She needs a fitted jacket or belt to make it look less like a sack. Queen Mathilde has a similar background as Stephanie and she manages to present herself well (though I don't love what she's wearing today). I hope Stephanie learns to refine her style.

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/7386/gau7.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/20o1hv.jpg
Old 12-03-2013, 11:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Both the style and colour of the outfit look dated on a young woman like Stephanie. I would like to see her dare more in this department.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

I have to agree the brown does nothing for her at all very aging actually on her at least she doesn't have a shawl!!!!

Tags
grand duchess stéphanie fashion, princess stéphanie's daytime outfits, princess stéphanie's evening gowns, princess stéphanie's fashion & style