Hereditary Grand Duchess Stéphanie's Fashion & Style Part 3: June - December 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, there's no such a person as Crown Princess Sibilla. French version says about S.A.R. Princess Sibilla(Her Royal Highness P.css S.)

Thank you so much for correcting me. I believe I was reading this from an article that had been auto translated into English. I should have picked up on that.

Last edited:
I don't like the scarf she never adjusts them so they look good. I wish she would try using jewelry as accessory's that might be better. As for cutting her some slack she has had a year. I think that this is her style and it won't change it is hit but a lot of the time miss.

Stephanie is so beautiful, but imo she looks too simple for a princess. really hope that she can dress like Maxima or Mary :D

Stephanie is so beautiful, but imo she looks too simple for a princess. really hope that she can dress like Maxima or Mary :D

I get what you mean, and without denigrating other royal ladies, Stephanie can only dress like herself. I agree that she could take a cue from other crown princesses about figuring out what works on her figure (and with her coloring), and looking her very best as the second royal female representative of Luxembourg. Maxima dresses to suit her personality as does Mary. I hope Stephanie will refine her style to suit what's best for her.

Maybe the way she dresses is reflecting her personality or she just isn't into being fashionable. And to be fair there is no reason she has to be. I feel like we all want her to look like what we imagine or think a princess should but really there is no ideal to me any way. We have Mary who loves clothes and on the other end Anne who could care less. They all get their jobs done and I don't think the people that meet them care it seems like the experience of meeting them is more important than what their hair looks like or what length their dress is.

Maybe the way she dresses is reflecting her personality or she just isn't into being fashionable. And to be fair there is no reason she has to be. I feel like we all want her to look like what we imagine or think a princess should but really there is no ideal to me any way. We have Mary who loves clothes and on the other end Anne who could care less. They all get their jobs done and I don't think the people that meet them care it seems like the experience of meeting them is more important than what their hair looks like or what length their dress is.

I disagree, Stephanie doesn't have to become a fashionista but she does represent more than just herself as future Grand Duchess. Princess Anne allows her good works to speak for her rather than her fashion. I would still say Anne's clothes are always well-fitted if oft-repeated. Stepanie just needs to find a style the suits her and be done with it. I also don't agree that being well-appointed and well groomed makes no difference when one is meeting royalty.

dharn67n, maybe she feels what she wears suits her and this is her style. I think maybe I assume she should wear different things because I feel she would look better but she obviously feels she looks fine and is comfortable in what she wears. I also agree being well groomed and tidy is important didn't mean to imply anything else. I think that all of them do look well groomed and put together most of the time.

dharn67n, maybe she feels what she wears suits her and this is her style. I think maybe I assume she should wear different things because I feel she would look better but she obviously feels she looks fine and is comfortable in what she wears. I also agree being well groomed and tidy is important didn't mean to imply anything else. I think that all of them do look well groomed and put together most of the time.

Agree:) that her current style may be her style. I just think she needs to refine her style into something that is befitting her public role. It's all about tailoring and proportion IMO.

Stephanie is young and has a wealthy husband and has shown at least a couple of flashes of real fashion success since her wedding so I am not quite giving up hope yet. Maybe she is going to be a late bloomer.

But seriously, if there was a way to bribe one of the staff at her home to break into her closet and destroy all those %$*#ing scarves and slacks I'd work hard to find a way to do it!:bang:

I like your idea of getting rid of all those scarves, and oversized slacks. If you get a chance to do this, please bring me along. I'd love to give a helping hand to a good cause :D. As to the latest outfit, Im not loving it. The slacks are too loose, and that scarf obscures everything. If she were to wear a different colored top (beige perhaps), the scarf would have looked better.

Two things:

1. The scarf is nice, but it's completely covering the rest of the outfit, which probably is a good thing because...

2. The jacket is too short and hits her at the widest part of her pants, which makes her look really big.

Stephanie is young and has a wealthy husband and has shown at least a couple of flashes of real fashion success since her wedding so I am not quite giving up hope yet. Maybe she is going to be a late bloomer.

But seriously, if there was a way to bribe one of the staff at her home to break into her closet and destroy all those %$*#ing scarves and slacks I'd work hard to find a way to do it!:bang:

Maybe they can do a celebrity / royal TV special of "What Not to Wear."

Another unattractive outfit. At least her hair is looking better. But she is no worse than the other women in the group, especially her mil with her ill fitting suit.

Great idea, QueenJen! And lord knows, Stephanie would not lack for company in the "Royal Women Badly/Inappropriately Dressed" section!:cool:

I just spent considerable time looking over forum threads related to Stephanie, from the time of her engagement announcement until today. Overall, not a lot has really changed. This pic was taken about a year ago, November 2012

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-1Yb6dpOCN.../602560b8a9aca2d9a93f831ba002ad9c873ba143.jpg

Big pants with jacket minus scarf. I think this is Stephanie's "style" and apparently I've become acclimated to it for better or worse. I recently read a comment posted on Queen Noor's fashion thread that the Queen was "channeling Stephanie of L" regarding the use of scarves which I didn't take as a compliment to Queen Noor. To me it appears Stephanie has developed a style (uniform).

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the slacks are poorly fitted in that photo above(as usual!:bang:) but I do love the black, burgundy, white color combination, it's perfect.

And best of all....NO SCARVES!;)

Stephanie attending an exhibition with Grand Duchess Maria Teresa and Princess Sibilla. I think Stephanie may be slowly coming into her own style. She is still wearing shawls but this time I think the shawl compliments her yellow jacket by not washing her out. I also like the royal blue pants (for awhile it seemed the only pants we saw her in were those greyish coloured ones). Anyway, I thought Stephanie's look was a good one. Visite de l'exposition "Le rêve italien de la Maison de Luxembourg" - Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg - Novembre 2013 http://www.monarchie.lu/pictures/photos/actualites/2013/11/05112013-GDsse-GDHre-ExpoNeumunster/02-_c_Courgrand-ducale_800_thumb.jpg
She used great colors but the scarf and the shortness of the jacket is disappointing.

I don't watch this show, but if Stephanie were on it, I would. It would be very interesting to see what suggestions the 'experts' would come up with. I think she's a conservative dresser, which is great, but needs a little bit of guidance in the fitting department (especially with the slacks).

Great idea, QueenJen! And lord knows, Stephanie would not lack for company in the "Royal Women Badly/Inappropriately Dressed" section!:cool:

Oh, boy…I can only imagine...:eek:.

I get what you mean, and without denigrating other royal ladies, Stephanie can only dress like herself. I agree that she could take a cue from other crown princesses about figuring out what works on her figure (and with her coloring), and looking her very best as the second royal female representative of Luxembourg. Maxima dresses to suit her personality as does Mary. I hope Stephanie will refine her style to suit what's best for her.

I agree with you. I think Stephanie is a person who doesn't care enough about fashion and she likes to wear something she feel comfortable with. I mean, she looked fantastic and great on her wedding dress that make me think she would have a style like another European crown princesses :whistling:.

November 2012http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-1Yb6dpOCN.../602560b8a9aca2d9a93f831ba002ad9c873ba143.jpg
I think that is both unfair and inaccurate. In this photo she is wearing pants and a blazer, her M-I-L was wearing the same style of ensemble. It may not flatter her but it is by no means "inappropriate".

November 2013
Visite de l'exposition "Le rêve italien de la Maison de Luxembourg" - Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg - Novembre 2013

http://www.monarchie.lu/pictures/ph...umunster/02-_c_Courgrand-ducale_800_thumb.jpg

Here she is in 2013 still following MT lead. I think we need to keep things in proportion. So yes it is time for her to take chance on her own style but once again what she is wearing is by no means "Inappropriate".

When she wears capri pants while standing on a dais reviewing the troops then you can say she is Inappropriately Dressed.

Again, I would like to remind people that she is very, very new to the public eye and has little experience of public appearances, etc. She is going to need more time to "get it together" than other CP's, etc. who have been in the public eye for 5 - 10 years prior to their marriage!

I don't think the inappropriate applies to Stephanie I think dressed too old applies also not fitted properly. I think she just needs to stop dressing like her mother in-law. I would love to see how she dressed before she married was her style always so old and not tailored properly.

This scarf is serious business :ermm: . . . (it also looks like the Priest Stole)

Actually, that's an interesting observation. Stephanie's sister, Countess Gaelle de Lannoy, is in a Catholic religious order. Here she is attending Guillaume & Stephanie's wedding, wearing a shawl.
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/...noy+Wedding+Prince+Guillaume+7njuOdfwVyql.jpg

Stephanie's frequency of scarves and shawls may be more about her spirituality and faith and less to do with fashion. Fashion may continue to take a back seat and not play a big role in her life as HGD, at least for now.

Wearing a shawl (or similar) to a wedding is a common thing in catholic countries, specially in the more conservative families. It has to do with the old tradition that women had to cover their head when going to the church, which is not in pratice anymore in 99,99% of the churchs. Still, there are some rules of decorum of what to wear to the church and having a shawl with you is a pratical way of covering some skin that shouldn't be showing in a church. My mother always wears a shawl when she goes to a wedding and if I'm wearing a dress with straps or a deep neck, I'll wear one too.

To me I understand the shawls you wear them with sleeveless dresses. The thing is the scarves she simply doesn't wear them well. take the yellow one it covers her jacket and is worn uneven so it doesn't look good.

In this specific outfit, the scarf is the best thing, IMO, because it makes you concentrate on it and not in the shortness of the jacket or the colour shock between the yellow jacket and the navy pants (which once again have a terrible cut)

Actually, that's an interesting observation. Stephanie's sister, Countess Gaelle de Lannoy, is in a Catholic religious order. Here she is attending Guillaume & Stephanie's wedding, wearing a shawl.
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/...noy+Wedding+Prince+Guillaume+7njuOdfwVyql.jpg

Stephanie's frequency of scarves and shawls may be more about her spirituality and faith and less to do with fashion. Fashion may continue to take a back seat and not play a big role in her life as HGD, at least for now.
You may well be correct.
I love scarves, shawls and stoles myself and wish I had more occasions to wear them, and more courage to wear them any other time when nobody else does! :flowers:

November 2012http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-1Yb6dpOCN.../602560b8a9aca2d9a93f831ba002ad9c873ba143.jpgI think that is both unfair and inaccurate. In this photo she is wearing pants and a blazer, her M-I-L was wearing the same style of ensemble. It may not flatter her but it is by no means "inappropriate".

November 2013
Visite de l'exposition "Le rêve italien de la Maison de Luxembourg" - Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg - Novembre 2013

http://www.monarchie.lu/pictures/ph...umunster/02-_c_Courgrand-ducale_800_thumb.jpg

Here she is in 2013 still following MT lead. I think we need to keep things in proportion. So yes it is time for her to take chance on her own style but once again what she is wearing is by no means "Inappropriate".

When she wears capri pants while standing on a dais reviewing the troops then you can say she is Inappropriately Dressed.

Again, I would like to remind people that she is very, very new to the public eye and has little experience of public appearances, etc. She is going to need more time to "get it together" than other CP's, etc. who have been in the public eye for 5 - 10 years prior to their marriage!

You misunderstood my comment, MARG. When I spoke of inappropriate clothing choices by Royal women I wasn't limiting myself to the Grand-Ducal women in that photo. You are right, there is nothing at all inappropriate about what they were wearing, and I am not sure why you concluded that was my meaning.

I was referring to the fact that there are a few Royal women in general who have indeed dressed inappropriately, and that Stephanie with her sometimes unflattering outfits is in good company.

And sorry there is nothing "unfair and inaccurate" about that statement...it's simply the truth, imo.

Last edited:
:previous: To me unflattering refers to taste, whilst inappropriate refers to temperament. So I get your distinction and thank you for providing it.

I would further say that inappropriate refers to manners, not temperament. For example, a dress with sleeves in a cathedral is appropriate, a strapless dress is not. That is simply manners, imo.

Nothing is wrong with the way Stephanie dresses. She's always dressed appropriately for the occasion.

Could she use better tailoring? Yes. Could she be more stylish? Yes. But Stephanie hasn't put a wrong foot forward as far as the dress code is concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom