Hereditary Grand Duchess Stéphanie's Fashion & Style, Part 1: Oct. 2012 - April 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stephanie looks stunning, as usually. She pulls off the older look very well.

She's a prime candidate for What Not To Wear. Trinny and Susannah need to get hold of her, toss those pants in the trash bin on live TV.

I think she has been taking fashion advice from her MIL and possibly wearing some of her hand me downs. Saying she dresses like a conservative aristocrat doesn't explain it away because you can be that and still dress elegantly in clothes that fit properly and many do.
Now it is possible that her family may have not had a lot of extra money for items like fashionable clothes so she is still learning that part of royal life. Being from an arstocratic family does not always mean there was a lot of money around.

I like the scarf and as she is seated it is hard to say anything about the rest of the look ... but the Alzhiemer's outfit ... the trousers are way too long and the jacket is too long forthat cut of trouser ... IMO horrible.

She may have not grown up with a lot of money , but she has held job earned her own . I would think she could buy some nice pieces for herself. The pants outfits do look like something her mother in law has worn.

She's a beautiful lady, why she's insisting to dress matronly? I understand she comes from an aristocratic family but now she's representing a country; therefore dress age (and body type) appropriately.
Hopefully she gets the memo soon.

For her and probably her family as well, she is dressing appropriately. I'm sure her husband is rather glad that she is not putting herself on display.

LaRae

Wearing clothes that fit properly is not the same as "putting herself on display".

No and I never meant that it was.

LaRae

I think she meant as a "clothes horse." Like a fashion plate. The Grand Ducal family is very conservative and Stephanie seems to be as well. I think she can maybe look to Queen Rania who is fashionable and conservative at the same time. If she's open to changing her style.

I think she meant as a "clothes horse." Like a fashion plate. The Grand Ducal family is very conservative and Stephanie seems to be as well. I think she can maybe look to Queen Rania who is fashionable and conservative at the same time. If she's open to changing her style.

Oh I dont think we ever have to worry about Stephanie becoming a clothes horse or a fashion plate but one can be conservative and wear nice clothes that fit properly and make the wearer look good. By wearing clothes that are too big or too long she still draws attention to herself, just not in a positive way. Mathilde also came from a Catholic, aristocratic, Belgian family but she still manages to wear well fitted clothes and look elegant most of the time while Stephanie looks like she wears casts offs from her mother or mother in law and is old before her time.

Well,why I agree that her fashion choices haven´t always been the best ones,I must say that her primary function is not to be beautiful ( that would be the case if she was a beauty pageant,model or face for a cosmetic company) but to be a dutiful wife and represent Luxembourg in a positive way.She seems to have a very dignified manner and demeanor,her behaviour is impeccable and she has a sharp intellect and good working ethos.That is something that many people are trying to attain but can´t manage to reach this goal.I sincerely believe most people who meat the Duchess are pleased by her kind and gentle personality and don´t focus so much on her clothes.

However,I also agree with NGalitzine and other posters who suggest she might try to improve her style by chosing patterns and cuts that fit her better.She does not need to become a "clothes horse" and I hope she won´t turn into something like a "fashionista",but maybe she can find a way to wear comfortable clothes that look elegant and also flatter her look and figure.

Let´s not forget that she is still adjusting to her role and I am sure she will improve in the future!

Princess Mathilde is a good reference point IMO,she is also a level-headed woman with great education,manners and intellectual zeal but she also looks fine for her official events.To me,she has a "normal" (meaning,like me and you,not the artificial beauty of a model) figure and doesn´t care too much about superficial things while she is also aware of the expectations that are set in her,like representing her country and wearing elegant clothes that are decent and beautiful at the same time.

Last edited:
I think the only Princess that has never cared about fashion is Princess Anne. A few care more than others but they do all seem to care . I don't want her to get a stylist I would like her to get a good tailor so her clothes fit properly and some color would be nice.

I agree with you,Princess Carmen! The Princess Royal does not care about fashion at all,though I found her quite attractive when she was young and also today she has an interesting personality and style.I like that she is not superficial and doesn´t care what other say ;-)
However,when you are in an important position appearance is important,especially in our world where tv and magazines constantly need new pictures.A good tailor would do the deal,just like Queen Elizabeth II relies on a tailor (who recently brought out a book) and her clothes are fitting her figure & personal style.
I don´t want Stéphanie to change her attitude or become a fashionista-I love her the way she is! Just maybe from time to time she might find it useful to have a tailor who can adjust the outfits to her body and tell what works and what doesn´t look so nice:)

I agree with you,Princess Carmen! The Princess Royal does not care about fashion at all,though I found her quite attractive when she was young and also today she has an interesting personality and style.I like that she is not superficial and doesn´t care what other say ;-)
However,when you are in an important position appearance is important,especially in our world where tv and magazines constantly need new pictures.A good tailor would do the deal,just like Queen Elizabeth II relies on a tailor (who recently brought out a book) and her clothes are fitting her figure & personal style.
I don´t want Stéphanie to change her attitude or become a fashionista-I love her the way she is! Just maybe from time to time she might find it useful to have a tailor who can adjust the outfits to her body and tell what works and what doesn´t look so nice:)

You are right abour Pcs Anne. In undestand someone does not really has a passion for appearance, but as far as being a fashion victime is not a nice extreme, the same way steppinng out as Pcs Royal does is also a bad extreme. She is a public figure, she should make a little effort to have a better hairdo that this "tired housecleaner" look and some less sad outfits that this image of 90 year old Miss Marple, valid for the last 35 years.
Her mother the Queen has a really really better look, while staying classy and regal, and her granma the Queen mum was lovely, a pleasure to see.

Now for Stephanie, she does not seem a personnality "clothes horse", She comes from a great family and I think these families dress very conservative anyway. I do not think Stephanie dresses conservative because she is now an Hereditary Grand-Duchess, she was already dressing this way, and I think it is fine, it is herself.
The only thing she should pay attention is the fitting of her clothes, she might bear the "overweight syndrom" even if her figure is fine, she gives the impression willing to hide her figure with clothes which do not follow the line of her body.
I think when she is more sure for herself, she will improve, she is a lovely person.

Well put blauerengel. She doesn't need to be a clothes horse, but as it is, she actually comes across as sloppy.
Her husbands suits are beautifully tailored, she needs the same tailored look otherwise she will come across in a different way than I'm sure she intends.

On April 12, 2013 HGD Stéphanie was present at the 90th anniversary celebration of Chaux de Contern:
http://www.wort.lu/img/d5bddb0de3ec9db85ea18a5fef486375/560/360/0/22/700/472/75/b8384e0127dfad4a25b7ca8c7f928f0dea33badd.jpg (full view)
http://www.wort.lu/img/a441c696b020ce7f4fe215179b91ecbe/560/360/0/32/590/411/75/0c1827e4475188af50dfc1e87afff5ce80fb02b6.jpg (upper part, front view)
http://www.wort.lu/img/a64a3ad6997984300f6f86b28592db5e/560/360/0/112/670/543/75/d38031875401435dd1f71a720c8be987847d735e.jpg (upper part, side view)
She looks quite charming in that white jacket -notably its slightly fringy material and four pocket design appeal to me, yet a skirt would have complemented it better i.m.o..

Today during a visit to the European Parliament in Strasbourg:
http://images.newmedia.lu/rtl.lu/cms/imagegallery/2013/04/17/20626//520//bef305aaa5c452bea17ffab3c46db215.jpg (standing)
http://images.newmedia.lu/rtl.lu/cms/imagegallery/2013/04/17/20626//520//41187442515a4d98605a2cc1fb70ca4c.jpg (sitting)
Crown Princess Mathilde owns this dress in blue: http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/3387/bild159.png :)

Last edited:
That dress is the most age appropriate thing I've ever seen her wear. The color looks great on her.

It's a nice change from the dreadful jacket and pants from the other day, which would have looked nice on a woman three times her age.

A nice business suit would have been more appropriate for the visit to the European Parliament.

At Chaux de Contern the pants ruin everything in her outfit.

i don't like this purple dress very much but it's nice to see her wearing a summer dress after all the suits she wore recently...

Of course, it was probably too much to hope that she'd leave the scarf at home, but at least she's carrying it instead of wearing it.

The outfit she wore at the Chaux de Contern's anniversary was a good one. The pants still have the fit problem but the jacket is amazing and made the whole outfit.

The dress she wore to the European Parliament is horrible and looks way to casual for the type of the visit. Worst I saw on her.

The outfit she wore at the Chaux de Contern's anniversary was a good one. The pants still have the fit problem but the jacket is amazing and made the whole outfit.

The dress she wore to the European Parliament is horrible and looks way to casual for the type of the visit. Worst I saw on her.

I disagree. The jacket to me, was far too fussy and bulky for someone of her years, and the fit made her look wide, which she most certainly is not.

Last edited:
I like both. She still needs to inprove on clothes fiting, but it is better.
Stephanie is by far not the most beautiful, nor the most stylish, but she has a natural elegance and freshness.

Not crazy about either of the outfits, but the shade of purple is lovely for Stephanie. The dress would have looked better if it were in a solid shade, and didn't have that annoying print on it, and perhaps a simple black, or beige jacket over it would have looked nice as well. No comment on the slacks and jacket, because other have stated my feelings already.

Not crazy about either of the outfits, but the shade of purple is lovely for Stephanie. The dress would have looked better if it were in a solid shade, and didn't have that annoying print on it, and perhaps a simple black, or beige jacket over it would have looked nice as well. No comment on the slacks and jacket, because other have stated my feelings already.

Yup- the purple dress isn't perfect, but at least it fits her, flatters her body, and the color looks great on her. It doesn't look like it was made for her grandmother, which is a huge improvement.

I love this dress on Stephanie. She really does look better in COLOR! The design also makes her look thinner. See what proper tailoring can do for ones figure. Also, the pulled back neat hair allows her face, and more importantly, her smile to shine. Good day for Stephanie sartorially.

That's right that the DVF dress is not tied properly, I was wondering why the nice sash was not hanging down the way CP mathlide has it on her dress. I also prefer the collar on mathilde as more flattering.
However, the European Parliament video shows Stephanie walking and it really is appalling, she needs help with her "cowboy" gait!

That's right that the DVF dress is not tied properly, I was wondering why the nice sash was not hanging down the way CP mathlide has it on her dress. I also prefer the collar on mathilde as more flattering.
However, the European Parliament video shows Stephanie walking and it really is appalling, she needs help with her "cowboy" gait!

She really does walk like John Wayne after a long day in the saddle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom