Hereditary Grand Duchess Stéphanie's Fashion & Style, Part 1: Oct. 2012 - April 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just me, or is that dress made out of tinfoil?

I quite like Stephanie's dress, the colour is nice and I think that the shawl is practical for when she's outdoors, as it might be cold (I don't live in Amsterdam and I don't know what the evening weather's like, so I'm just guessing here). I also think that this shade of blue suits her. The only thing I don't like about her outfit is the tiara.

The shawl was used outside AND inside. On the bottom of the Daily Mail article you can see the back of Stephanie during dinner ... WITH shawl. If she is freezing this much, I'd recommend a long sleeved dress. :flowers:

Charles attends Queen's abdication party... but unfortunately for him it's not his mother! European Royals at ball to celebrate Beatrix of Holland before her resignation tomorrow | Mail Online

Is it just me, or is that dress made out of tinfoil?

Heaven forgive me, but no, you're not alone. I think Stephanie has a lot of potential as a person and royal, but in this case, a little less sparkle would have done wonders. She may not ever be a fashion icon, and that's fine. Maybe that'll help get better promotions for her charities, and if she's comfortable around children, she may very well be choosing what she's choosing so that she could bend down, and not feel restricted. I give her props anyway, because in many ways, I dress to be comfy also.

I am amazed to have so few agree with me that Stephanie looked regal in that dress and tiara, and Guillaume looked proud as a peacock. It seems odd that Stephanie is criticized for being too casual or sloppy in her "pants and tops" outfits, or her wrinkled pink skirt, and then when she really goes regal she is also said to have bad taste in clothes. The only slight criticism I have is that, yes, the dress does actually reflect the red carpet she's walking on, it's that shiny. But I think shiny is fine for this kind of occasion.
She has been criticized for wearing this sea green color before, at the Habsburg wedding, but I think it her best pastel color (I love her in dark colors most of the time). It brings out the joy in the Nassau sapphire tiara--perfect, not too "tall" not too ostentatious, just perfect.
Keep grinning, Guillaume, you got the prize!
Anyway, I grew up in a ballet school so maybe I am just fascinated with glitter when it is done right. Especially the neckline is elegant.

Looks like what Catherine Zeta Jones wore in Chicago. More like a costume than a dress.
Her hair is not styled well for the tiara which looks interesting to me.

I love her dress! It's lively and plays very well with her eyes. The lightness of the color is probably what makes her hair look darker.

I was all prepared to avert my eyes in horror when I read the comments and clicked on the photos, but I liked what Stephanie wore! Maybe it was a bit glittery, but the aqua was beautiful, so was the style of the dress and that tiara was smashing with a good tiara updo. So appropriate for the grandness of the occasion. I didn't see anything wrong with the color of her hair; perhaps because it was styled up or due to the lighting it looked darker. In this case, I can see her wearing a light shawl over her bare shoulders since the venue may have been chilly.

And Guillame looked very happy to have his lovely wife on his arm.

Last edited:
Join the club BoB. From reading the comments I was prepared to see an outfit that Cher would have worn circa 1975...but I think Stephanie's gown was beautiful and glamorous, perfectly appropriate.

As usual I did not like her accessories and I wish to heaven she would cut it with the silly shawls. Her makeup also needed to be more intense. But overall I thought she looked great. Sea green is her color, and it went perfectly with the Nassau tiara.

She did not embarrass herself, far from it.

Last edited:
I was all prepared to avert my eyes in horror when I read the comments and clicked on the photos, but I liked what Stephanie wore! Maybe it was a bit glittery, but the aqua was beautiful, so was the style of the dress and that tiara was smashing with a good tiara updo. So appropriate for the grandness of the occasion. I didn't see anything wrong with the color of her hair; perhaps because it was styled up or due to the lighting it looked darker. In this case, I can see her wearing a light shawl over her bare shoulders since the venue may have been chilly.

And Guillame looked very happy to have his lovely wife on his arm.

I like her outfit. She looks good in sparkly!

I am amazed to have so few agree with me that Stephanie looked regal in that dress and tiara, and Guillaume looked proud as a peacock. It seems odd that Stephanie is criticized for being too casual or sloppy in her "pants and tops" outfits, or her wrinkled pink skirt, and then when she really goes regal she is also said to have bad taste in clothes.

Just because she dresses up, doesn't mean that her style changes. To me, her clothes always look dowdy. Whether she's going casual or regal.

The dress isn't horrible, but the way Stephanie styled it (with the necklace, scarf and hair) just ruined the whole dress for me.

The dress would have looked much better if she had kept it simple.
http://www.vogue.it/en/shows/show/fw-12-13-pre-fall/elie-saab/collection/450013

Last edited:
Hmmmm...wow. I honest to God think that gown looks better on Stephanie than the model, who has no hips or bustline to speak of.

Stephanie should have ditched the shawl though, absolutely.

It's not about her body shape, but how it's styled. The necklace and the scarf, just didn't add anything to the dress and made Stephanie look really dowdy. Sometimes less is more and I think this dress definitely looks better with minimal accessories. Plus, I thought her hair pulled back like that, looked too severe for the dress.

Last edited:
Yes, I think Stephanie rocked the gown better than the model since she filled it out better. But the fixation with shawls can downgrade a nice look.

Her dress is good. She dresses decently, her face and body are good, she has a beautiful smile, she seems to be a nice, educated, polite and intelligent woman but she lacks a kind of "je ne sais quoi" in relation to fashion. Just that. And that doesn't mean that sometimes she will look beatiful and appear with a wonderful dress. And you know what - she is very lovable the way she is.

It's not about her body shape, but how it's styled. The necklace and the scarf, just didn't add anything to the dress and made her look really dowdy. Sometimes less is more. Plus, I thought her hair pulled back like that look too severe for the dress.

Sometimes it is very much about body shape because it affects the way a gown hangs. But you are absolutely right about the too severe hairstyle. She should have worn the same gorgeous soft chignon hair she had for her wedding day.

True, but in this instance I was more focused on how much better the dress looked without all that extra stuff. I thought the dress was horrible when I first saw it, but seeing the original made me realize that the dress is actually nice. It's Stephanie's styling that ruined it for me.

Last edited:
IN this case simple would have been better too many added things ruined the look of the dress.

The color is gorgeous but the dress is a little too much for me.

I always love a bit of Elie Saab in my life but that dress is not for her. Especially the top part just doesn't look right for her body type.

The tiara and hair are not right for the dress either. You either go full out with that kind of dress, or you don't.
I have to agree. She'll figure out her own style in the future.

True, but in this instance I was more focused on how much better the dress looked without all that extra stuff. I thought the dress was horrible when I first saw it, but seeing the original made me realize that the dress is actually nice. It's Stephanie's styling that ruined it for me.

The only thing "extra" she had on was the dumb chiffon shawl.:bang: Everything else...tiara, necklace etc was perfectly appropriate.

She still has a ways to go, but I still say it's early in the game for her and I see her trying at least. She has come a long way from the girl who wore that awful(imo) red engagement dress, that supershort white dress to Princess Estelle's christening, and then showed pantylines at Berg Castle a few weeks later. :eek:

I want to see how she manages tomorrow's events, then next weekend's Octave ceremonies in Luxembourg, and then that business dinner in NYC that she is scheduled to attend with Guillaume in July. ;)

The problem has never been her shawls but the way she carries them. Just have a look at Mrs Annan - one of the most ellegant ladies of the night IMO!

Mrs Annan is also much more seasoned at this sort of thing and has about 30-35 years on Stephanie. She also might have a natural knack for wearing clothes that Stephanie does not have and may never acquire...which is fine.

As long as she does not embarrass herself or her country-which so far she has never done-she will be fine.

She has time to find her style.

Last edited:
Several commented that her hair looked darker. Maybe it actually is darker and she has decided not to lighten it. Slightly darker hair will frame her pale face nicely. I can't imagine her coming to this gala with dirty hair.

I have read that securing a tiara is easier on hair that has not been washed. Anyway I hope she has not darkened her hair. The honey blonde color is perfect for her complexion.

I love it the whole look and adore the bag love the shoes just love it.....
Couldn't agree more! She looks beautiful! Absolutely adore the look. She looks lovely.

She is wearing the Nassau Sapphire Tiara.

It looks great on her -I think she looks beautiful all together!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom