Fashion for the little royals Part 7: January 2015 - July 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the outfit George was wearing, though very similar to William's, is new:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CJLF7b4WEAAmdP9.jpg:large
At first I thought it had been modified, but then I changed my mind...

I have to say it: I don't like this way of dressing children... too old fashioned and IMO not flattering for the kid...

I have to disagree with you. George's outfit is perfect for a little boy his age. He looks very comfortable, and very sweet. Beats what kids at my preschool are wearing, that's for sure. Classy, and elegant clothing never goes out of fashion, and what George is wearing will be appropriate for his age-group ten years from now as well.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I have to disagree with you. George's outfit is perfect for a little boy his age. He looks very comfortable, and very sweet. Beats what kids at my preschool are wearing, that's for sure. Classy, and elegant clothing never goes out of fashion, and what George is wearing will be appropriate for his age-group ten years from now as well.

I like it for the occasions where he's at formal royal events- it's almost like a costume, or a uniform. (I think the Duchess's coat dresses are also her working uniform)

Maybe it's a good way to help distinguish the role from every day life. We see him dressed in more casual clothes when he's out playing.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Well, different tastes and different opinions... But I have enough of old styled clothes... especially on a little boy...

The Japanese and European Royal families have always had a very distinctive manner of dressing their children. The Scandinavian and Benelux Royals are not quite as throwback as the Brits, but even so.

You will never see any Royal child dressed similar to Maddox Jolie-Pitt or Suri Cruise....never.:cool:

The Japanese and European Royal families have always had a very distinctive manner of dressing their children. The Scandinavian and Benelux Royals are not quite as throwback as the Brits, but even so.

You will never see any Royal child dressed similar to Maddox Jolie-Pitt or Suri Cruise....never.:cool:

And thank heaven for that! Hopefully the trends for more conservative children's clothing will make a comeback soon. I'm tired of children being dressed like advertisements for this or that movie/character/superhero.

Well, baby and infant clothes were intended to be soft and comfortable. You will notice that the little red shorts button onto the shirt. No elastic to squeeze the stomach. The "old-fashioned" styles allowed the little one to be comfortable and have freedom of movement. It also was considerate of their soft skin. I love seeing little ones dressed in this way. To me, it's so much more sensible than dressing them in the latest styles...as though they are just short adults. When I was a child, we were dressed in this style and my children and grandchildren as well. I like to see them looking sweetly childlike and physically free. And, Princess Estelle is another one who is dressed like a child.

I'm not a fan of this outfit as it's a bit too old fashioned for me and the shoes are a bit girly, I had shoes similar to George's when I was a toddler. But that seems to be the traditional way of dressing children in the BRF.

The way she dresses George is not "old-fashioned" it is "classic" and the way royals have always dressed their children for public occasions. There are many photos of George dressed in play clothes that look like other toddlers when he is in the park are at a playground. The Duchess dresses her son appropriately for the occasion, in my opinion.

And thank heaven for that! Hopefully the trends for more conservative children's clothing will make a comeback soon. I'm tired of children being dressed like advertisements for this or that movie/character/superhero.

And, I agree with both you and MoonMaiden. I dislike seeing children dressed like little rock stars or some Disney character. In a way, it seems disrespectful of the child. Let them be children.

Fashion for the little royals Part 7: January 2015 -

The way she dresses George is not "old-fashioned" it is "classic" and the way royals have always dressed their children for public occasions. There are many photos of George dressed in play clothes that look like other toddlers when he is in the park are at a playground. The Duchess dresses her son appropriately for the occasion, in my opinion.

I was just stating my opinion (which I'm entitled to). My post was not meant to be worded in a factual way, as I did say "for me". We all have different opinions - what's old fashioned to me may be classic for you, and what's classic for me may be old fashioned for you.

I have seen a number of photos of George in casual wear. I know that the more formal clothes he wears are not his usual, everyday outfits. It is the same with Lady Louise Windsor, her casual wear is very different to her formal wear.

Well, different tastes and different opinions... But I have enough of old styled clothes... especially on a little boy...

I agree, but he's not our son so we don't have a say. But imo on George the clothes look particularly silly. You don't have to dress him in Superman t shirts and Iron man shorts, but the 19th century look is just :bang:

Has it ever occured to you that these children like these characters and wearing clothes with Hulk or Elsa on them makes them happy? I highly doubt they or their parents care about advertising anything.

Fashion for the little royals Part 7: January 2015 -

Has it ever occured to you that these children like these characters and wearing clothes with Hulk or Elsa on them makes them happy? I highly doubt they or their parents care about advertising anything.

Just stating my opinion. No need to jump on me. If dressing like that makes them happy, then more power to them. I'm not their parent, but as an observer, I'm allowed to make a statement, just like you. I also know that when I become a parent, I will not have any character-themed clothing in my children's closets. They can have them as toys, but not as designs on clothing, backpacks, etc.

I agree, but he's not our son so we don't have a say. But imo on George the clothes look particularly silly. You don't have to dress him in Superman t shirts and Iron man shorts, but the 19th century look is just :bang:

But it's not really a "19th century look" if late 20th century William and Harry were dressed that way too. Princess Caroline of Monaco dressed Andrea that way when he was a toddler. (check out Charlotte Casiraghi's christening photos)

First Lady Jackie Kennedy dressed Caroline and John Jr. in the 1960's White House exactly the way George Cambridge and Estelle Bernadotte dress today.

It's a timeless, very distinctive upper-class look for children. It will never truly go out of style.

Yeah us peasants just dress our kids in teeshirts with superhero's on them.

LaRae

Just stating my opinion. No need to jump on me. If dressing like that makes them happy, then more power to them. I'm not their parent, but as an observer, I'm allowed to make a statement, just like you. I also know that when I become a parent, I will not have any character-themed clothing in my children's closets. They can have them as toys, but not as designs on clothing, backpacks, etc.

Ha! Good luck with that :) I know a lot of people who intended to set hardline rules like that, and then realized arguing with a toddler over trivial things isn't worth the time.

But it's not really a "19th century look" if late 20th century William and Harry were dressed that way too. Princess Caroline of Monaco dressed Andrea that way when he was a toddler. (check out Charlotte Casiraghi's christening photos)

First Lady Jackie Kennedy dressed Caroline and John Jr. in the 1960's White House exactly the way George Cambridge and Estelle Bernadotte dress today.

It's a timeless, very distinctive upper-class look for children. It will never truly go out of style.

I agree. In fact, while I wouldn't consider myself upper class like that at all, I tended to be dressed quite traditionally as a child, particularly for special occasions. My everyday clothes may have been a bit more modern, but not in a trendy way.

Personally, I love to see children dressed in more traditional/conservative clothes, because to me children look more like children when dressed that way. So many of the trendier clothes that children wear today look like miniature versions of trendy adult clothes. I just don't like seeing little kids dressed up like they're supposed to be "cool."

Ha! Good luck with that :) I know a lot of people who intended to set hardline rules like that, and then realized arguing with a toddler over trivial things isn't worth the time.

All I will say, is that it's up to the parent to set an example for what is appropriate, and acceptable. They can tantrum over a t-shirt, but it's my choice to simply remove the child from the situation. I run my classroom like a tight ship, and kids listen. I'm not worried about being outsmarted by a toddler.

i

And I would never expect to. However, it does seem odd that the style from 30 years ago is being used today. I suppose it is indicative of the class or Royal status in the U.K. But as someone who is from Midwest United States, it does look a little prissy to me.

Exactly. You don't argue with young children because you are not going win. say you are going to do something, do it and most certainly never give in to tantrums.

Eventually That way the child will realize a melt down over being told no about the Elsa or transformers shirt or shoes will only have negative consequences.

Anyhow, George is growing up in a family that is still very conservative and traditional and all his life he will be wearing suits or uniforms Like his father and grand father and great grandfather and...He will never be a fashion plate or a trendsetter and will almost certainly not have a thought about.

Last edited:
I agree. In fact, while I wouldn't consider myself upper class like that at all, I tended to be dressed quite traditionally as a child, particularly for special occasions. My everyday clothes may have been a bit more modern, but not in a trendy way.

Personally, I love to see children dressed in more traditional/conservative clothes, because to me children look more like children when dressed that way. So many of the trendier clothes that children wear today look like miniature versions of trendy adult clothes. I just don't like seeing little kids dressed up like they're supposed to be "cool."

I did the same for mine when they were younger and we had a special event to attend ie: Christmas or Easter Mass, baptisms, their First Communions etc...My then 30 month old daughter daughter wore a robin's egg blue smocked romper which looked very similar to the ones seen on royal children to her brother's baptism. She only wore it once but it was just perfect for that special occasion.:)

Now at 15 and 13 they're good at choosing appropriate outfits for special events, but they make their own selections.

i

And I would never expect to. However, it does seem odd that the style from 30 years ago is being used today. I suppose it is indicative of the class or Royal status in the U.K. But as someone who is from Midwest United States, it does look a little prissy to me.

It's the style from much longer than 30 years ago. Google childhood photos of Prince Charles from the 1950's or the late King Baudouin and his siblings from the 40's.

They were all at some point dressed pretty much the same way George is today.

Again, it's a "look"-and not only from the UK and Europe. It's a way upper class moneyed parents and even some who are not like to dress their children.

My ex comes from a family as middle-class as it gets and most of his childhood photos have him looking like a sort of Midwestern version of Little Lord Fauntleroy.

Last edited:
July 5: Prince George of Cambridge wearing a Rachel Riley outfit similar (but not the same) to the outfit Prince William wore whilst visiting his younger brother Prince Harry at the hospital in 1984:

George, 2015 and William, 1984

I'm not a fan of this outfit as it's a bit too old fashioned for me and the shoes are a bit girly, I had shoes similar to George's when I was a toddler. But that seems to be the traditional way of dressing children in the BRF.

Princess Charlotte in a replica of the British royal christening gown:

Charlotte

George and Charlotte both look adorable. I especially like George's outfit.

In another 20 years, when Prince George is wearing his dad's old navy blue suits and red ties, we'll long for the days when he wore red Mickey Mouse shorts and frilly little smocked blouses!

And, I think we would all have been disappointed if Prince George had appeared yesterday in a pair of jeans, t-shirt and sneakers. Great for the backyard. Smile...

My kids were dressed up for special events...past that it was casual wear. They were pretty rough and tumble on a day to day basis no sense getting nice clothes destroyed.

LaRae

I’ve said before the way George (or any child in the BRF) is dressed is just not my thing. You could transport him to the ’50 and he wouldn’t stand out. There are plenty of ways to dress a child that’s semi-formal (a little less formal than a suit and tie) that’s not this old-fashioned but more modern.
Bonpoint comes to mind, but there a many other brands.

In the 19th century royal little boys George's age wore lacy dresses :flowers: They didn't wear trousers until they were five or so - it became a rite of passage to graduate from their skirts. :)

I don't know why, but I really like little boys dressed with old styled clothes, however, I absolutely dislike girls with old-fashioned clothes.

I'm not pointing out for the clothing style the celebrity kids wear which is sometimes silly. But little girls have dresses fashionable that don't look hideous, but "clean" and appropriate, for example, some clothes and style that Princess Elisabeth of Belgium and her brothers and sister wore, or also Princess Leonor and Infanta Sofia clothes. I still remenber those baby and toddler clothes Leonor and Sofia wore when they were younger and I love them so much. I hope for Charlotte, Catherine has a similar style.

Thank you:flowers:. It's not like there aren't other options but the old style look in order to appear elegant. This: the part in bold is my thought too but I thought I would never say this: George is a boy... and I am not a fan of some frills which would look more appropriate on a girl... :flowers:

The 19th century is the 1800s so that is the regency period of Jane Austen movies and the Victorian era.

What George wore at the Christening and Trooping is at least post WWII 20th century. Something that we have seen Charles in the late 40s, JFK jr in early 60s, William is early 80s.

He is two. He shouldn't be dressed like a mini adult in a suit and tie. Kids that age are growing so fast. Trying to put him in long pants would be a never ending battle with the hems.

I think what puts people off is the buckle shoe. They think it's girly. But what type of shoes do little kids need - one that will stay on. In casual shoes that is usually done with Velcro. But in a dress shoe, do you want Velcro? Most likely no, so you need a buckle. We have see boys wearing that type of shoes in upper class Europe for the last 100 years.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom