Fashion for the little royals Part 7: January 2015 - July 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it is unkind and Louise isn't the first royal girl to be subjected to this criticism. It was the same with Beatrice and Eugenie in particular when they were that age but with the internet it is way over the top and will only get worse for those in the public eye - which is one reason why William and Kate are determined to keep their children out of the public eye for as long as possible, which could easily extend to 10+ years - given this criticism of Louise I can see William saying 'no public appearances' or Charlotte until she is 18 or even older.

No one is criticizing Louise, she is a child.

Her parents pay for her clothes and her parents should not be buying inappropriate adults clothes for a child.

Her parents should have reviewed her outfit before allowing her to appear in public wearing tight fitted jeggings.

A child can select their daily attire from any clothes purchased by their parents, however it is the parent's job to ensure all the clothes are appropriate for the the child.

Louise would not be wearing the clothes if her parents hadn't purchased them.

There is nothing wrong with what she is wearing for the event she attended - a horse show. She is wearing what many other girls her age would wear to such an event. They look like the modern type of jodhpurs that are available - which are tight to the body rather than the old fashioned baggy ones - just what people wear when riding. Her boots also look like they are a type of riding boots.

A google search for 'kids jodhpurs' came up with http://tinyurl.com/k2nrcypincluding this picture: http://tinyurl.com/m32vn2r which shows a girl looking very like Louise (not her of course as this was an advertising page) wearing similar clothes to what Louise is wearing to a horse show.

I ride every weekend. There is a children's class immediately before mine and the kids are dressed just like Louise in jodhpurs, riding boots & shirts or r-shirts. If they were in a competition the jacket would be correct wear.

I agree with those who think she was dressed ideally for a horse show.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Poor Louise, she can't please anyone! One minute people say she is dressed like a child and now she is dressed too much like an adult. What she is wearing is completely appropriate for the Windsor Horse Show and for a little girl who loves horses.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: I agree with you Molly! When I first saw a photo of Louise I thought that she looked her age at last! She is turning into a tall and lovely girl!:flowers:

No one is criticizing Louise, she is a child.

Her parents pay for her clothes and her parents should not be buying inappropriate adults clothes for a child.

Her parents should have reviewed her outfit before allowing her to appear in public wearing tight fitted jeggings.

A child can select their daily attire from any clothes purchased by their parents, however it is the parent's job to ensure all the clothes are appropriate for the the child.

Louise would not be wearing the clothes if her parents hadn't purchased them.

I appreciate that you have clarified that you weren't criticizing Louise--who is a beautiful young lady--but I question whether any comment about Louise's clothing is appropriate. First, I will echo what others have already pointed out: she is wearing modern jodhpurs (or riding britches as they are known in the Midwest U.S.) and riding boots.

But the more important point is that she is an pre-teen. I understand your point that her parents purchase her clothes but she is also old enough to have input into what she wants to wear. It's only natural for children to want to dress like their friends--whether her parents like it or not.

Sometimes parents wisely decide to pick their battles and give their kids more independence. Obviously there have to be some parameters, but it is not like Louise was wearing a mini skirt, high heels, and a low cut top.

It is also possible that she is choosing to wear things given to her by her grandmother or another family member, even if she and/or Sophie don't really like them. My daughter doesn't always like what my mother gives her, but she usually wears them a couple of times. (mom's lucky, my daughter usually just returns anything I give her). Some things are more important than clothes.

Is it really necessary to criticize virtually everything about their lives? Why can't she be allowed to experiment and have fun? I think critiquing the style of the adults is fair game, as long as it is respectful. Let's keep some perspective; we are talking about clothes and our opinions are reflections of our personal tastes--not proof of our moral superiority.

Last edited:
Poor Louise. At Easter she was dressed like a 6 year old, and now at the horse show she is dressed like a 60 year old. Can they not get her some fun age appropriate clothing!?!?

Louisa's clothing was very normal for the horsey set. She probably picked out what she wanted to wear. In the one photo where she was playing with her cousins she just had her leggings/stretchy jeans and long sleeved shirt on running around...totally appropriate. As far as big shoes go...she probably has big feet. She's going to be a tall girl. She's at that gangly awkward stage. LaRae
I can see that many think she is dressed far too young at family photo ops but the horsey set and 60 years old? She is dressed exactly how I would expect and "in fashion" for the time, place and occasion.
Am I the only one who thinks it's unkind to be criticizing what an 11 year old girl wears? If this is the type of comment generated towards the 10th in line to the throne at a casual outing to an annual event held on the grounds of her home, I dread what Princess Charlotte will be subjected to in the future.
No, you are by no means the only one. As stated earlier, Beatrice and Eugenie's teenage years were a media nightmare and, if you think the press is nasty now, they were poison then. How those girls survived without developing eating disorders or stress-induced depression I will never know, but I think it came down to positive parenting by Sarah and Andrew.

Sophie and Edward learned from their experience and, for the most part, we only see Louise at family photo ops. Easter, Trooping of the Colour, etc. and Sophie has taken pains to ensure that Louise is only ever dressed in a recognised royal old fashioned way. White tights and Mary Janes? I wonder how they manage to even get her to wear them but, I have a suspicion that both she and her parents see them as a sort of disguise. She wears them "On Parade" and dresses like a kid her own age when there are no cameras around. The longer she is perceived as a child, the longer her childhood will be.

It is worth noting that the press article was quite positive and referred to Lady Louise as a kid happy playing with her 'cousins'.

My comment was mainly relating to the olive green blazer she was pictured in. Once that was taken off (when she was playing with Peter's kids) I agree the outfit was fine (in a functional way.)

My comment was mainly relating to the olive green blazer she was pictured in. Once that was taken off (when she was playing with Peter's kids) I agree the outfit was fine (in a functional way.)

I think the blazer was part of her riding habit and she was going to be a grannys for the horse show and wanted to show she had the real goods. overall i thought she looked great - with really long legs :)

People get worked up over the strangest things. As someone who has worked around horses I think Louise looked perfect. She's 11, she's playing with her young cousins, she's at a horse show... what the heck is the problem?!?!?!?!?

People get worked up over the strangest things. As someone who has worked around horses I think Louise looked perfect. She's 11, she's playing with her young cousins, she's at a horse show... what the heck is the problem?!?!?!?!?

I have the same question with you. What the problem?

Apparently some people have just discovered what equestrian clothings look like...

I can see that many think she is dressed far too young at family photo ops but the horsey set and 60 years old? She is dressed exactly how I would expect and "in fashion" for the time, place and occasion.
No, you are by no means the only one. As stated earlier, Beatrice and Eugenie's teenage years were a media nightmare and, if you think the press is nasty now, they were poison then. How those girls survived without developing eating disorders or stress-induced depression I will never know, but I think it came down to positive parenting by Sarah and Andrew.

Sophie and Edward learned from their experience and, for the most part, we only see Louise at family photo ops. Easter, Trooping of the Colour, etc. and Sophie has taken pains to ensure that Louise is only ever dressed in a recognised royal old fashioned way. White tights and Mary Janes? I wonder how they manage to even get her to wear them but, I have a suspicion that both she and her parents see them as a sort of disguise. She wears them "On Parade" and dresses like a kid her own age when there are no cameras around. The longer she is perceived as a child, the longer her childhood will be.

It is worth noting that the press article was quite positive and referred to Lady Louise as a kid happy playing with her 'cousins'.

To me, the fact that people think that Louise is dressed "too young" or "too old" just highlights the fact that, at 11, she's in those tricky "tween" years where she's no longer a (young) child and not yet a teenager. She also seems to have gone through a growth spurt recently. For many girls, that can just be a tough age for buying clothes, because frequently you're growing out of children's sizes, and yet clothes that are big enough might be too mature. And, of course, many girls start to assert themselves more with regard to fashion at that age (I remember one Easter when I was about 10 or 12 and having quite a battle with my mother because I'd finally had enough of the traditional girly Easter dresses and hair bows that she always had me wear, and I insisted on wearing something a tad more grown up and stylish. At the time I thought she was just being annoying, but now I better understand her protective instinct.) Sometimes I look back at pictures of myself at that age and cringe a bit at what was clearly an attempt at finding a style identity. So, personally, when I see girls that age, I tend to feel a bit sympathetic rather than critical about what they're wearing, because usually they and their parents are all just doing the best they can. Luckily, Louise seems to be a happy, confident girl no matter what she's wearing, and I hope that continues.

Today both Estelle and Leonore wore Marie Chantal to the marriage ban ceremony of their uncle. The wore matching coats and then very similar dresses underneath the coats.
Swedish Royal Clothing ID's: Marriage Bans for Sofia and Carl Philip

The baby Swedish princesses both looked exquisite at the Banns ceremony.
Marie-Chantal seems to be the go-to place for dress up children's clothing and I must say she has some beautiful things.

Estelle is a dream child.:whistling:

Last edited:
^^^ Marie-Chantal is definitely a favourite with the royal mothers. Lady Louise has worn Marie-Chantal things as well as the Swedes.

I love that the Princesses wore the same jacket, what a nice touch. Their shoes were also lovely. :D

I think Louise looked great at the horse show. The outfit is appropriate and comfortable for running around with her cousins. I don't think it's aging her in the least. Girls her age can be seen wearing things that are a lot more 'grown up', and I'm happy to see her leaning towards a more classy and conservative look. I loved the blazer too. It gave the whole look a more sophisticated touch. The two Swedish princesses looked precious in their little outfits. I love seeing Estelle with longer hair.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

They both look lovely, but with that white frock it looks like it is Sofìa the one who has to receive the Communion!

I thought the same Marty91charmed. Leonor is wearing a tiny rosary around her neck today in addition to her school uniform.

:previous: Yes TLLK I saw that too... But at least she didn't have any privilegies and was able to mingle with her friends:flowers:

Which IMO was the right decision for Leonor. She was with her friends and their families for this special day plus had a family celebration at home.

I see nothing inappropriate with what Louise is wearing she is dressed for a horse event she appears to be comfortable and having a good time. Inappropriate is what we have in America ll year old in booty shorts, crop tops looking 20 instead of looking like an 11 year old. She is dressed in a traditional way very nice.

They both look great. Sofia's dress is beautiful.

I have read that Lady Louise is a good horsewoman already and that she has ridden with the Queen, as have most of the other grandchildren. She was wearing riding clothes, including the blazer!

Lady Louise looked appropriate given the setting. My goodness, she's almost as tall as Sophie!!

Leonore and Sofia at Leonor's communion both look sweet. I'm guessing Leonore is in her school uniform because communion took place at school/during school?!?!

Leonor and Sofia look lovely, as usual. I love Sofia's dress.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom