The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 08:29 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneugeba View Post
Poor Louise. At Easter she was dressed like a 6 year old, and now at the horse show she is dressed like a 60 year old. Can they not get her some fun age appropriate clothing!?!?
Oh I don't think she looks like a 60 year old at all. Her clothes are extremely appropriate for the event and age group.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:32 PM
Heir Apparent

I think Louise was dressed perfectly for the occasion. I also think that she is of an age where she is making decisions about what she is going to wear and not just putting on what her mother lays out on her bed without question.

Old 05-16-2015, 10:17 PM
Royal Highness

I think the clothes are too grown up for her. The jeans are way too tight. The boots are too adult for a child of eleven. The blazer looks like it is a hand me down from her mother. The blouse looks like it is from the 1950s, probably a hand me down from the Queen. A regular pair of jeans not jeggings, a pullover sweater with a T-shirt or polo shirt underneath would have been more appropriate.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Louisa's clothing was very normal for the horsey set. She probably picked out what she wanted to wear. In the one photo where she was playing with her cousins she just had her leggings/stretchy jeans and long sleeved shirt on running around...totally appropriate. As far as big shoes go...she probably has big feet. She's going to be a tall girl. She's at that gangly awkward stage.

LaRae
Old 05-16-2015, 10:56 PM
Nobility

The Royal Windsor Horse Show 2014-2015

I presume Louise chooses her own clothes as apart from special occasions like weddings it would be a bit odd if her mum is still choosing them.

To me she looks like a normal eleven year old, my 10 year old daughter and her friends live in leggings/skinny jeans and looser tops. The jacket was a bit big but typical attire for a horse show. Most 11 year olds have very definite ideas of what they will or won't wear based on what their friends are wearing (as long as not too short, see through etc it's a battle not worth fighting) and I would presume Louise is like every other typical 11 year old.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:56 PM
Heir Apparent

It looks to me as though Louise is wearing these Southwind Riding Boots Paddock Black Boston Black YKK Zipper Front | eBay or something very similar. I cannot imagine anything more appropriate for a girl her age, who is known to be a keen rider and has her own pony (or at least she was, and she did, as at 2012 when she had a fall from it and broke her arm) to be wearing to a horse show. Looking at the boots and leggings she's wearing I wouldn't be surprised to see her hop up onto a pony herself.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

Exactly - she is wearing clothes that girls who ride horses wear to a horse event.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:30 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
It looks to me as though Louise is wearing these Southwind Riding Boots Paddock Black Boston Black YKK Zipper Front | eBay or something very similar. I cannot imagine anything more appropriate for a girl her age, who is known to be a keen rider and has her own pony (or at least she was, and she did, as at 2012 when she had a fall from it and broke her arm) to be wearing to a horse show. Looking at the boots and leggings she's wearing I wouldn't be surprised to see her hop up onto a pony herself.
Yeah, I was about to say - I'm pretty sure those are just a pair of riding boots, nothing inappropriate there! In fact, almost everyone in the pictures is wearing boots or thick-soled shoes of some kind (even little Isla has cowboy boots on), as they're walking around in grass and dirt. It's a horse show, not a catwalk. And Louise and Sophie appear to be wearing the same kind of leggings, which seem suited for riding and, indeed, I believe they're both keen riders. The whole outfit seems quite practical (and appropriate), and a strange thing for some to get worked up about.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:10 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
I think the clothes are too grown up for her. The jeans are way too tight. The boots are too adult for a child of eleven. The blazer looks like it is a hand me down from her mother. The blouse looks like it is from the 1950s, probably a hand me down from the Queen. A regular pair of jeans not jeggings, a pullover sweater with a T-shirt or polo shirt underneath would have been more appropriate.
For all we know, she could have picked out her own outfit that she wanted to wear and at the last minute told "NO". Perhaps she was subdued by the parental units to "fit" in. Later she gets on her connects and says "dang.. they are SO lame". KIDS! They have minds of their own. She has one and at her age, she's not a doll to dress.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:18 AM
Courtier

Am I the only one who thinks it's unkind to be criticizing what an 11 year old girl wears? If this is the type of comment generated towards the 10th in line to the throne at a casual outing to an annual event held on the grounds of her home, I dread what Princess Charlotte will be subjected to in the future.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

Yes it is unkind and Louise isn't the first royal girl to be subjected to this criticism. It was the same with Beatrice and Eugenie in particular when they were that age but with the internet it is way over the top and will only get worse for those in the public eye - which is one reason why William and Kate are determined to keep their children out of the public eye for as long as possible, which could easily extend to 10+ years - given this criticism of Louise I can see William saying 'no public appearances' or Charlotte until she is 18 or even older.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:44 AM
Royal Highness

No one is criticizing Louise, she is a child.

Her parents pay for her clothes and her parents should not be buying inappropriate adults clothes for a child.

Her parents should have reviewed her outfit before allowing her to appear in public wearing tight fitted jeggings.

A child can select their daily attire from any clothes purchased by their parents, however it is the parent's job to ensure all the clothes are appropriate for the the child.

Louise would not be wearing the clothes if her parents hadn't purchased them.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

There is nothing wrong with what she is wearing for the event she attended - a horse show. She is wearing what many other girls her age would wear to such an event. They look like the modern type of jodhpurs that are available - which are tight to the body rather than the old fashioned baggy ones - just what people wear when riding. Her boots also look like they are a type of riding boots.

A google search for 'kids jodhpurs' came up with http://tinyurl.com/k2nrcypincluding this picture: http://tinyurl.com/m32vn2r which shows a girl looking very like Louise (not her of course as this was an advertising page) wearing similar clothes to what Louise is wearing to a horse show.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:50 AM
Courtier

I ride every weekend. There is a children's class immediately before mine and the kids are dressed just like Louise in jodhpurs, riding boots & shirts or r-shirts. If they were in a competition the jacket would be correct wear.

I agree with those who think she was dressed ideally for a horse show.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 05-17-2015, 07:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Poor Louise, she can't please anyone! One minute people say she is dressed like a child and now she is dressed too much like an adult. What she is wearing is completely appropriate for the Windsor Horse Show and for a little girl who loves horses.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:37 AM
Majesty

I agree with you Molly! When I first saw a photo of Louise I thought that she looked her age at last! She is turning into a tall and lovely girl!
Old 05-17-2015, 08:06 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
No one is criticizing Louise, she is a child.

Her parents pay for her clothes and her parents should not be buying inappropriate adults clothes for a child.

Her parents should have reviewed her outfit before allowing her to appear in public wearing tight fitted jeggings.

A child can select their daily attire from any clothes purchased by their parents, however it is the parent's job to ensure all the clothes are appropriate for the the child.

Louise would not be wearing the clothes if her parents hadn't purchased them.
I appreciate that you have clarified that you weren't criticizing Louise--who is a beautiful young lady--but I question whether any comment about Louise's clothing is appropriate. First, I will echo what others have already pointed out: she is wearing modern jodhpurs (or riding britches as they are known in the Midwest U.S.) and riding boots.

But the more important point is that she is an pre-teen. I understand your point that her parents purchase her clothes but she is also old enough to have input into what she wants to wear. It's only natural for children to want to dress like their friends--whether her parents like it or not.

Sometimes parents wisely decide to pick their battles and give their kids more independence. Obviously there have to be some parameters, but it is not like Louise was wearing a mini skirt, high heels, and a low cut top.

It is also possible that she is choosing to wear things given to her by her grandmother or another family member, even if she and/or Sophie don't really like them. My daughter doesn't always like what my mother gives her, but she usually wears them a couple of times. (mom's lucky, my daughter usually just returns anything I give her). Some things are more important than clothes.

Is it really necessary to criticize virtually everything about their lives? Why can't she be allowed to experiment and have fun? I think critiquing the style of the adults is fair game, as long as it is respectful. Let's keep some perspective; we are talking about clothes and our opinions are reflections of our personal tastes--not proof of our moral superiority.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:09 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneugeba View Post
Poor Louise. At Easter she was dressed like a 6 year old, and now at the horse show she is dressed like a 60 year old. Can they not get her some fun age appropriate clothing!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Louisa's clothing was very normal for the horsey set. She probably picked out what she wanted to wear. In the one photo where she was playing with her cousins she just had her leggings/stretchy jeans and long sleeved shirt on running around...totally appropriate. As far as big shoes go...she probably has big feet. She's going to be a tall girl. She's at that gangly awkward stage. LaRae
I can see that many think she is dressed far too young at family photo ops but the horsey set and 60 years old? She is dressed exactly how I would expect and "in fashion" for the time, place and occasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
Am I the only one who thinks it's unkind to be criticizing what an 11 year old girl wears? If this is the type of comment generated towards the 10th in line to the throne at a casual outing to an annual event held on the grounds of her home, I dread what Princess Charlotte will be subjected to in the future.
No, you are by no means the only one. As stated earlier, Beatrice and Eugenie's teenage years were a media nightmare and, if you think the press is nasty now, they were poison then. How those girls survived without developing eating disorders or stress-induced depression I will never know, but I think it came down to positive parenting by Sarah and Andrew.

Sophie and Edward learned from their experience and, for the most part, we only see Louise at family photo ops. Easter, Trooping of the Colour, etc. and Sophie has taken pains to ensure that Louise is only ever dressed in a recognised royal old fashioned way. White tights and Mary Janes? I wonder how they manage to even get her to wear them but, I have a suspicion that both she and her parents see them as a sort of disguise. She wears them "On Parade" and dresses like a kid her own age when there are no cameras around. The longer she is perceived as a child, the longer her childhood will be.

It is worth noting that the press article was quite positive and referred to Lady Louise as a kid happy playing with her 'cousins'.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:19 AM
Courtier

Today both Estelle and Leonore wore Marie Chantal to the marriage ban ceremony of their uncle. The wore matching coats and then very similar dresses underneath the coats.
Swedish Royal Clothing ID's: Marriage Bans for Sofia and Carl Philip
Old 05-17-2015, 10:40 AM
Gentry

My comment was mainly relating to the olive green blazer she was pictured in. Once that was taken off (when she was playing with Peter's kids) I agree the outfit was fine (in a functional way.)

Closed Thread