The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 11:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for the levity admirer! To add, I am always astounded when people are shocked when boys are put into christening gowns. Why are boys and men allowed so little sartorial leeway

Old 09-26-2016, 11:42 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
And we are unable to cede an inch of ground on the subject of little boys socks. In some families they are simply happy to have shoes and socks. IMO, sock-gate does not have a leg to stand on.
True, there length of G's socks is irrelevant to the whole trip.
Doesn't mean I may not like them.

Old 09-27-2016, 05:41 AM
Heir Apparent

I absolutely hated what Lady Louise was wearing on Sunday! I had thought the white tights were behind her as she hasn't worn them to any public event since Easter 2015. She has been wearing lovely grey tights or nude ones, which we saw her wear to all the Queen's 90th birthday celebrations in June. I get that perhaps Ed and their nanny (as Sophie obviously wasn't there) thought as it was a Sunday and she was probably at church in the morning and then heading to BP after that she needed to look appropriate and well presented. It's just a shame as she's so tall (..)yet she still has to wear white tights like a 4 year old. I am sure she has lovely dresses she could have worn without those tights. I can't get over how grown up she's getting though. She's going to be so tall as she's just slightly taller than Sophie and hasn't stopped growing. Her legs are so long!

James look lovely in his little jacket and shirt. It's so much easier to dress boys as shirts and jackets look good no matter what the occasion is. I was also happy to see him in lovely smart shoes.

George looked cute but I have to say I am fed up of the "blue uniform" he always seems to have on. Those socks are terrible and I don't see why he is still wearing them. I do agree that the British upper class do dress their children in shorts and smart shoes for years, but not many of them wear those knee high socks. James was NEVER seen in knee high socks.

James 2.5 years old - in shorts and the same canvas shoes George had on previously but with ankle socks and a similiar jacket we've seen George in.
James 4.5 years old - shorts and white ankle socks.
James 4.5 years old - ankle socks.

Shorts are completely appropriate and they look lovely, but those knee high socks are ridiculous.

Charlotte looked lovely. I love smocked dresses on little girls and those lovely shoes are perfect for a toddler just beginning to walk. I am all for the Swedish Princesses wearing cutesy shoes, but in reality they will do nothing to support their feet. Charlotte's shoes, although beautiful to look at, are also very suitable for her feet and supports them. (I can't stand seeing toddlers in bad shoes as they will pay for it when they're older with flat feet due to badly supported arches as children.)
Old 09-27-2016, 08:01 AM
Heir Apparent

George is in a different position than James. George is a future King making an official visit to a country that he will be King of for the first time. It's not a casual occasion with sneakers . He has dress shoes on and dress socks. That moment will be shown again and again every time he goes back to Canada.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 09-27-2016, 08:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
George is in a different position than James. George is a future King making an official visit to a country that he will be King of for the first time. It's not a casual occasion with sneakers . He has dress shoes on and dress socks. That moment will be shown again and again every time he goes back to Canada.

I get that George is who he is but William was never seen wearing hideous knee high socks when he was on official visits with his parents. They're very dated and I don't see why Kate continues to put them on him. Ankle socks would be just as appropriate.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:50 AM
Serene Highness

William wore Knee socks on occasion and Charles did as well. All part of the Royal "uniform" for little boys. Kate has never shown any inclination to fight that style and judging by how much G wears them as opposed to regular socks she just probably just thinks their cute on her little man.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:58 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't want to write over and over again about the "Lord Fauntleroy"'s look. I think I have already voiced my opinion several times. I don't like it, but I'm starting getting used to it.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:20 AM
Serene Highness

I must say Georges knee socks are far far from the worst trends in Roysl children's fashion.... Young ladies who should not be dressing like alternativly on any given day 8 year olds or 40 year olds, little girls in dresses that are way to short and informal for formal events, usually formal dresses of the Dutch sisters, when the "Mommy and me" goes over board.

I will take the Knee socks :)
Old 09-27-2016, 09:29 AM
Heir Apparent

I do agree that George's socks are not the worst royal children's fashion. Louise's white tights are by far the worst. I had thought we'd seen the last of them but sadly not. I'm still going with the idea that the nanny dressed her on Sunday. I just find it odd that James is dressed like a normal little boy, whereas his sister is constantly babied.

I guess I just don't like the knee high socks look with shorts. I think they look much nicer with ankle socks but that's just me.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:37 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
Louise's white tights are by far the worst. I had thought we'd seen the last of them but sadly not. I'm still going with the idea that the nanny dressed her on Sunday. I just find it odd that James is dressed like a normal little boy, whereas his sister is constantly babied.
I agree about those white tights, but I can't imagine a nanny dressing a 12 year old. But if she does indeed, I don't want to get into what that says about Louise. You can always say 'no' to staff.

I can only imagine that she has an old fashioned taste and likes them. I can't imagine Sophie either saying 'you'll wear that' to make her daughter look dowdy while the brother gets away dressing like a normal boy of his age.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:39 AM
Serene Highness

Thing is Louise is more than old enough to pick her own clothes and style and not have Nanny dress her. If that is the case there are far bigger issues than white tights.The old saw about how she maybe like this style and wants to dress like this is getting weaker by the year. No preteen really desires to look like her toddler relatives :)
Old 09-27-2016, 09:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Fashion for the little and teenage royals Part 9: April 2016 -

The thing with Louise is that Sophie is such a sophisticated dresser. If Louise's mom was Anne who doesn't care anything about fashion, maybe it doesn't catch are eye that Louise is a Hermes headscarf away from looking like her granny. It's such the contrast between mom and daughter style wise.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:55 AM
Heir Apparent

I agree that Louise is too old to be dressed by her mother, but I also think that she have some input for these occasions. I imagine Sophie allows her to choose her own clothes for every day wear but for formal occasions Louise is given something to wear that is deemed "appropriate".

The outfit itself isn't THAT bad but with the tights it just looks ridiculous. She doesn't seem to have worn white tights in a long time. Easter - she has grey tights on and I believe she had black tights on for Christmas.

Granny's 90th - nude tights which are perfect for her age.

Patron's lunch - she looked lovely for the walk-about.

In other non-formal engagements Louise has attended she looks like a normal 12 year. old. Zoo in April

It just surprised me that she was wearing white tights considering she hasn't worn them in public for well over a year, which is why I joked that perhaps her Nanny picked them as Sophie was not there to see what she was wearing.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:02 AM
Serene Highness

IKR? Even if Louise will be a minor adult Royal at best she will be still in those aristocratic circles her entire life. No matter what people claim dress and appearance count and color the way people judge you. And are cruel.Always have and always will. IMO Sophie Should be at least start encouraging her girl to get her feet wet sartorially.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Well, a lot of us did not dress like our Moms. She's only 12, and if she is at all like I was - she will go through a lot of style transitions in the next two decades. Many of them questionable.
I don't think adults should aspire to critiquing the style of 12 year olds. The playing field just seems a bit un-level to me. But when we do feel a need to comment, I just think we need to be more patient. The idea that she must never again wear this or that ever again is probably a bit limiting.
Finally, I want to be generous enough that if Louise turns out to be someone completely unconcerned with fashion, that I give her that choice. Some of the most beautiful young people I know have a very quiet fashion muse, but I still find them delightful, productive and completely worthy.
I get it that some of us think that because she has royal blood she should naturally be engrossed in Vogue magazine at this point. But I don't think that's how genetics or young people's inclinations always work.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:30 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
The thing with Louise is that Sophie is such a sophisticated dresser. If Louise's mom was Anne who doesn't care anything about fashion, maybe it doesn't catch are eye that Louise is a Hermes headscarf away from looking like her granny. It's such the contrast between mom and daughter style wise.

Exactly, and the event of receiving her mother on her bike was not very formal but kind of leasure event.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Well, a lot of us did not dress like our Moms. She's only 12, and if she is at all like I was - she will go through a lot of style transitions in the next two decades. Many of them questionable.
I don't think adults should aspire to critiquing the style of 12 year olds. The playing field just seems a bit un-level to me. But when we do feel a need to comment, I just think we need to be more patient. The idea that she must never again wear this or that ever again is probably a bit limiting.
Finally, I want to be generous enough that if Louise turns out to be someone completely unconcerned with fashion, that I give her that choice. Some of the most beautiful young people I know have a very quiet fashion muse, but I still find them delightful, productive and completely worthy.
I get it that some of us think that because she has royal blood she should naturally be engrossed in Vogue magazine at this point. But I don't think that's how genetics or young people's inclinations always work.
Yes, we need to be careful about criticizing such young people, I agree. Btw, her brother was wearing saddle shoes at age two and a half, the proper dress shoe for young boys on formal occasions, IMO. I had been wishing George would wear them too, there is still hope.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:10 PM
Serene Highness

Then why have a section for Children's fashion in first place if can't reasonably discuss our likes and dislikes? We aren't talking personally of the kids themselves after all.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:19 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I like Charlotte's dress but George ... I start feeling sorry for the kid with his long socks and strange shoes for his age, always in a blues sweater with grandpa shirt underneath.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...5178643202.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...5171224966.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...5178621730.jpg
Old 09-29-2016, 07:06 PM
Heir Apparent

I think they are dressed wonderfully....

Closed Thread