The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 10:09 AM
Administrator

The Norwegian children during the celebrations for the Golden Wedding Anniversary of King Harald and Queen Sonja today, August 29:

** Photo 1 ** Photo 2 ** Photo 3 **

Old 08-29-2018, 10:31 AM
Aristocracy

As much as I like Ingrid - give that girl some new shoes. The dress looks like one from Mette, but it's okay (still her mothers daughter also in this way it seems). I like it more than the pink one she wore recently.
What came across very strange to me were the shoes the little one (is it Tallulah? I always mix them up) wore on the groups picture. She obviously changed them later.

Old 08-29-2018, 10:45 AM
Aristocracy

I really love Ingrid Alexandra's shoes Looking great with the dress.
I hope more girls/women begin to wear nice sneakers or sneaker like shoes with formal dresses.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:21 PM
Royal Highness

Yikes, I really don’t think the shoes are appropriate for that sort of occasion.

The dress is cute, though, and IA is certainly a very pretty, cheerful looking girl.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:10 PM
Majesty

That dress is awful on a pretty young girl like IA and the sneakers/trainers just make the entire getup seem bizarre.

Unless she has some problem with her lower back, that is just a really unfortunate choice.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 08-29-2018, 02:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think Ingrid Alexandra looked just fine and good for her for choosing a comfy pair of shoes instead of confirming to the image we have of women suffering in heels or ballerinas that kill your back. You go girl!
Old 08-29-2018, 02:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iolanthe View Post
I really love Ingrid Alexandra's shoes. Looking great with the dress. I hope more girls/women begin to wear nice sneakers or sneaker like shoes with formal dresses.
I am agreeing here. I think the era of tippy-tippy heels needs a death knell. One still can be classy with flats, and designers need to start paying attention. No need for women to even be in pumps, though I certainly wear them (happily).
Old 08-29-2018, 02:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Keep an eye on the red carpets. More women are starting to wear sneakers and other comfortable shoes.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-29-2018, 03:19 PM
Majesty

I don't like high heels and I am far from a teenager. At my height of 5'10 I don't need them. Ballet flats would be perfectly acceptable, comfortable and even pretty with a dress like that.

But sneakers? With a cocktail dress or a formal?

Just...no. Not for me.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 08-29-2018, 04:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Today, in Venice, Vanessa Redgrave accepted the prestigious Golden Lion award at the Venice Film Festival. Ms. Redgrave wore an elegant black floor-length gown and a pair of black Keds* with white soles. Her posture was notably immaculate, her stride was confident, and she had no fear of stumbling or slipping.

*I can’t be certain of the brand.

This is the future. Many women are tired of aching feet, bunions, and fear of falling.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-29-2018, 04:46 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Ingrid Alexandra should wear ultra high heels or anything of the sort; she's still a young girl after all. Though, and call me old fashioned, but I do agree with those who say that IA seems a little out of place at this particular event given that everyone else is wearing pumps or a similar style footwear. Whilst her trainers are subtle and don't necessarily look much like trainers from a distance, they do seem like the sort of shoes one would wear on a run in the local park rather than at an official event. Unless the individual in question has problems with their feet such as bunions or back pain that affects the feet as well; I still think that trainers are just a little too casual for official events (and I think the same about celebrities who wear them on the red carpet too). I'm not asking for any woman to wear uncomfortable or ridiculously high heels as I'm sure there are shoes out there that are comfortable for the feet that don't look like sports wear. Flats or pumps would've been fine, unless of course, as I mentioned, Ingrid Alexandra might have any problems with her feet at the moment.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 08-29-2018, 05:47 PM
Courtier

I agree with all those who think IA should have worn a different pair of shoes. That dress is pretty, but it's completely ruined by those sneakers/trainers. And in no way I believe she needs to wear heels, she'll do that only if and when she feels like it, but trainers are best left for every day life, not for a formal ceremony. Ballet flats would have been perfect.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think this is not the first time IA wore sneakers to formal events. I wonder if she dislikes other pair of shoes, it seems she perfers sneakers. But for formal events, and even more when wearing a dress, ballerinas would be the best fashion choice for a young woman like her. It was a weird choice of outfit.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:41 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Today, in Venice, Vanessa Redgrave accepted the prestigious Golden Lion award at the Venice Film Festival. Ms. Redgrave wore an elegant black floor-length gown and a pair of black Keds* with white soles. Her posture was notably immaculate, her stride was confident, and she had no fear of stumbling or slipping.

This is the future. Many women are tired of aching feet, bunions, and fear of falling.

I am all about comfort. But elegant ballet flats with a formal gown will solve the problem of aching feet and bunions.

Why ruin a beautiful dress with footwear that is meant for walking the dog or exercising?

I am just missing something I guess.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:43 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
I think this is not the first time IA wore sneakers to formal events. I wonder if she dislikes other pair of shoes, it seems she perfers sneakers. But for formal events, and even more when wearing a dress, ballerinas would be the best fashion choice for a young woman like her. It was a weird choice of outfit.
I guess it’s possible she actually does have some sort of back or foot problem.

I actually think it’s a cute and quirky look, well suited to someone her age, and it’s great she’s developing her own sense of style. I remember my friends and I doing the same back in the dark ages of the 90s with dresses and Doc Martens.

But I agree different events and situations call for different standards of dress.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I am all about comfort. But elegant ballet flats with a formal gown will solve the problem of aching feet and bunions.

Why ruin a beautiful dress with footwear that is meant for walking the dog or exercising?

I am just missing something I guess.
My guess is you’re missing the correct age to ‘get’ this look. I work with teenagers and dresses with sneakers are all the rage . I’m hoping it’s a short fad.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:03 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post

But fashion tastes differ. E.g. to me most ballet flats don't look elegant at all (and I don't find them comfortable and can't walk in them long) and I would always prefer IAs shoes with the dress:
I think IA looks more fashionable than her cousins in their flats.

(And the shoes that I wear for walks or sport look much different than IAs shoes...)

But that's just my taste - I don't think that there is a right or wrong here - it's just a question of personal style.
IA isn't barefoot or wearing rubber boots, her shoes are clean and match her dress. So I think they are appropriate for the occasion - like her cousins' shoes that I personally don't like.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Times they are a-chaingin'. And high time! High heels were a mistake from the get-go, having to do with a false interpretation of the heeled shoes (boots) the horsemen were wearing centuries ago in the East (Constantinople, the stirrup riders) that got carried West and translated into King Louis of France wearing the darn things, and we were off on centuries of a kind of western 'foot binding'. Plain and simple: too much damage is done to the foot and spine: doctors have known that for decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post

Like dress lengths now being pretty much up to the discretion of the wearer (and not the dictates of Paris fashion houses) so will foot wear be up to each wearer methinks. When this proclivity starts to settle in, designers will start to design for the 'sensible shoe' crowd.

It will all look fine, in a brand new way. I welcome it!
Old 08-29-2018, 11:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Times they are a-chaingin'. And high time! High heels were a mistake from the get-go, having to do with a false interpretation of the heeled shoes (boots) the horsemen were wearing centuries ago in the East (Constantinople, the stirrup riders) that got carried West and translated into King Louis of France wearing the darn things, and we were off on centuries of a kind of western 'foot binding'. Plain and simple: too much damage is done to the foot and spine: doctors have known that for decades.

Like dress lengths now being pretty much up to the discretion of the wearer (and not the dictates of Paris fashion houses) so will foot wear be up to each wearer methinks. When this proclivity starts to settle in, designers will start to design for the 'sensible shoe' crowd.

It will all look fine, in a brand new way. I welcome it!
As do I! The very elegant Princess Caroline of Monaco wore spangly sneakers for a few occasions a year or so ago.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-30-2018, 02:28 AM
Courtier

Sorry to sound a bit extremist, but if designers think they are bold in mixing up formal and informal looks, this does not mean we have to follow their rules. Caroline looked a shadow of her former self in those ludicrous silver sneakers...she should follow less Lagerfeld's antics - woe Chanel, being once the epitome of chic. Comfort does not have to equal sloppiness (not accusing IA, she is a girl and has all the rights to experiment): high heels can be very uncomfortable, I wear them rarely as the shape of my feet is odd and being also overweight my feet can't handle the weight of my body in that position. That's why if I want to wear heels I always pick square heels pumps or PLATFORMS. Call me outdated or conservative, but I strongly believe there's a time and place for everything. And that's why I also find odd to see Emma Tallulah in pumps when her sisters, who are older, are wearing flats.

Closed Thread