Fashion and Style of Royal Men, Part 2: April 2016 - October 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haakon looked good in an all grey morning suit. Excelent tie, love the bold blue color
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/05/27/13/34AFF1BB00000578-3612575-image-a-57_1464350458618.jpg

Frederik in a morning suit for Oscar's baptism. looking more handsome as ever.
excellent tie selection that really stands out
http://us.hellomagazine.com/imagene...istening/0-155-474/princess-mette-marit-a.jpg
http://media.shootitlive.com/LAVggZn1PbREykehlW4gpKAwLmB/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/2217

WOW Haakon is very elegant!!!
Ok and Frederik too!! But only for you dear Polyesco!!! :D

Fred is pretty dashing, but Haakon is in a whole other league :cool:But I wouldn't mind having either on my arm. They both looked great today, and very handsome.

I agree about Haakon. I think men who are very tall and slender look especially good (as Haakon did) in morning suits. I wasn't so sure about Frederik. It wasn't any one thing or the morning suit itself, just an overall impression that he didn't look as nice as he does when wearing one of his sharp suits.

WOW Haakon is very elegant!!!
Ok and Frederik too!! But only for you dear Polyesco!!! :D

Fred is pretty dashing, but Haakon is in a whole other league :cool:But I wouldn't mind having either on my arm. They both looked great today, and very handsome.

;)
I think i favor the black jacket use over all grey. a black jacket makes it stand out more, but both look very handsome.

although I missed Frederik's beautiful vest that he has used in other morning suit occasions :cool:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ebXBRv2_w...sk/stnlhuF018s/s1600/mary-de-dinamarca01a.jpg

I agree that Harry should have worn a tie. Great pictures, though. Harry enjoys these sort of events and does them well. It's wonderful that so many aged veterans who took part in the D-day landings are still with us and looking spry.

Prince Harry is told off by a D-Day veteran after joining a Normandy reunion WITHOUT a tie | Daily Mail Online

Harry a bit under-dressed without a tie, at this event to meet WWII veterans
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/06/02/19/34DC563E00000578-0-image-a-7_1464893292906.jpg
not only do i think a tie is needed for this type of event but it would also help this "boring" blue suit ;) lol

now here we have Frederik with a vibrant purple tie to help his blue suit :p
https://scontent.fsan1-1.fna.fbcdn....=89523bd12a3c5fb871353480fd112059&oe=580CA917

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Harry should have worn a tie. It's a pity he or his aides didn't think of slipping a spare into a pocket. Harry used to have quite distinctive ties, with tiny rabbits and with sheep or pigs on them, if I remember correctly. Ties can be vibrant and fun and expressive of personality, and it's a pity Royal males (with the exception of Henrik of course,) aren't more adventurous, because men wearing suits don't have much else.

Harry a bit under-dressed without a tie, at this event to meet WWII veterans
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/06/02/19/34DC563E00000578-0-image-a-7_1464893292906.jpg
not only do i think a tie is needed for this type of event but it would also help this "boring" blue suit ;) lol

now here we have Frederik with a vibrant purple tie to help his blue suit :p
https://scontent.fsan1-1.fna.fbcdn....=89523bd12a3c5fb871353480fd112059&oe=580CA917

I like Prince Harry i don't mind at all who he don't wore tie!

For Prince Frederik i don't think this vibrant tie much very with the suit!

While I usually don't mind Harry's more casual style, I think he needed a tie for this. It was an event honoring WWII events and the veterans were all dressed up. It seems appropriate he wear a tie as well. Certain events call for a certain level of formality in dress, and I think this is one.

This was an event that required a tie. Harry is a friendly and no-fuss fellow, and that's great and his informality works well at Invictus events, but this was a formal occasion to honour WWII veterans. He is an officer and on occasions such as this he ought to dress like an officer, not like their pal.

He made a wrong call on this, but its not a huge deal and I don't think anyone's going to hold it against him for very long. It's not as though he wore his Afrika Korps shirt and swastika armband!

Last edited:
:previous: He made a "wrong call" that I doubt he would have made a year ago. That's what is surprising. After all, it's not all about 'Harry', but rather the engagement.

I can understand if he was visiting younger veterans that are in their 20s and 30s but these are D-Day veteran so they are Philip's age. They dress up for things like this. Harry should have wore his regimental tie even though he was told that he didn't need one. You don't have to always listen to your advisors.

Speaking of Philip, he was rocking the bowler hat at beating the retreat.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I am quite a fan of not wearing a tie with a suit and shirt but I do agree with others that on this occasion, Harry ought to have worn one.

He said he was told not to wear a tie so I don't think it's his fault. However, I wonder why someone would tell him not to wear one.

I read on twitter that it was a misshap by KP... but I could be wrong:

Emily Andrews ‏@byEmilyAndrews 17 h17 ore fa
Harry got ticked off tonight by a war hero for not wearing a tie.Bit of a fail by KP telling him he didn't need one.

^^^Yes, it seems so. A bit odd indeed. Emily Andrews blames the palace:

Emily Andrews ‏@byEmilyAndrews 18 h18 ore fa
Harry got ticked off tonight by a war hero for not wearing a tie.Bit of a fail by KP telling him he didn't need one.

Last edited by a moderator:
He said he was told not to wear a tie so I don't think it's his fault. However, I wonder why someone would tell him not to wear one.

I don't know. A former officer in the Household Cavalry should know these things. Blaming his staff was poor form.

I think it was simply an oversight on his part.

Last edited:
Well, no tie is hardly a hanging offence and the veterans seem to have forgiven him. They're laughing, joking, and smiling in all the photos. Everyone appears to be having a ball and Harry as usual is enjoying himself and spreading good cheer.

Harry is a grown man at the end of the day the responsibility lies with him

I think it wa sa faux pas for him. For the veterans it must have felt as something out of respect. Hope he will be more careful in the future.

But I'm wondering why he was told that it wasn't necessary. They shouldn't have said anything and then he would have probably chosen a tie to be on the safe side, but he was told he didn't need one for some strange reason.

Harry told a veteran he was out sailing earlier in the day. Maybe he just forgot but I doubt he was specifically told not to wear a tie.

Harry's private secretary, Edward Lane Fox, is like Harry, a former officer in the Blues and Royals. An officer and a gentleman knows when to wear a tie.

I think Harry was trying to save face and blamed it on his staff.

Last edited:
Do you?

Well, I doubt whether the veterans gave a monkeys really, as they all looked as if they were thoroughly enjoying themselves. If Harry makes a habit of it, it will be different.

I'm sure that the veterans that were there hardly paid it any mind. Harry was in his "civvies" and, as was said, he was out sailing earlier and I would bet these tough and hardened vets were more interested in hearing about that than wondering just why he didn't wear a tie.

I thought even uniforms would be worn on events like these..?! I mean, this was a purely military thing, wasn´t it?

Harry told a veteran he was out sailing earlier in the day. Maybe he just forgot but I doubt he was specifically told not to wear a tie.

Harry's private secretary, Edward Lane Fox, is like Harry, a former officer in the Blues and Royals. An officer and a gentleman knows when to wear a tie.

I think Harry was trying to save face and blamed it on his staff.

I don't really see that considering the vet was joking with him over it though.

Yes Harry could and maybe should have worn a tie. It was clear the veteran who picked up on it was joking and Harry did say he felt underdressed and seemed embarrassed by it, its not like he snapped back or said something inappropriate. I don't think Harry has form in blaming staff, so I suspect somebody did say he didn't need a tie (probably as they were trying to go for a more informal, friendly approach).
Whilst I suspect we will see Harry in tie at events like this in the future I don't actually thing its a massive deal.

It is interesting though. Usually it's the females having to field questions about whether their outfits are appropriate or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom