Crown Princess Maxima's Fashion & Style Part 2: March - July 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love her hair in the first photo, and the color of her top is very pretty against her skin. I like the brooch. The stone in the center is really pretty.

I really love this beige jacket. And yes, her hair seems to be messy a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love her hair in the first photo, and the color of her top is very pretty against her skin. I like the brooch. The stone in the center is really pretty.

Today I took a look in the dutch magazine 'Royalty', and coinsidently they had an article about jewels with animals of the dutch RF. Els Smit, who is becoming an authority on dutch royal jewels and who wrote a book about the Dutch jewels and fashion designes, started her article with the brooch that we are discussing. It is a 'common kingfisher' (in Dutch we say IJsvogel, which translates to ice bird) and it has a highly symbolic value for the house of Orange. There was a myth that the nest of the ice bird floated over waves in the sea, which could'n't sink, even with during the biggest storms. William of Orange, father of the fatherland as we say, used that symbol to show that dispite all the setbacks he stayed 'floating'. He used the motto Saevis tranquillus in undis, which means 'tranquil in the middle of heavy storms'. Added to that the colours of the bird are orange, white and blue... the same as the principality of Orange, and later of the Dutch revolt. In many drawings you see sun rays shining on the bird and the nest, with in the sun a monogram of Jesus Christ. William's 3rd wife, Charlotte of Bourbon-Condé, had a special coin made with the bird.

Queen Wilhelmina, grandmother of queen Beatrix, was fond of the symbol and had a minuature statue of the bird on her desk. When she wrote her memoirs 'lonely but not alone' she also draw the bird and a nest for the cover.

According to Els Smit the brooch that Máxima wears was previously worn by Queen Beatrix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom