The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 01:07 PM
Royal Highness

this dress is really lovely, but I don't like this shoes (especially with this shinning thights)

Old 03-23-2009, 11:00 PM
Gentry

Totally agree, sandals with tights..!!! a no-go

Old 03-24-2009, 12:24 PM
Heir Apparent

http://i42.tinypic.com/1fuuef.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/2i8eyxh.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/10eegls.jpg
(originally posted by iceflower)
The overall look is just adequate. I like a bright yellow top and its asymmetrical design. The beige skirt looked somewhat all right. However, I am not sure whether the beige and yellow match each other well. Additionally, I find tights too shiny. Less shiny or almost invisible tights would have been much better.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well, I quite like this look. I dont know why, but she looks really beautiful. I like the top, the skirt and the shoes are wonderful. The yellow-beige combination looks a bit strange, but its pretty, IMO.
If I have to say any thing I dont like in this look, it would be the earrings or maybe the tights, but the whole outfit looks amazing.

Proud admirer and supporter of the Princess of Asturias, Viana and Gerona (2005 - ) :)
Old 03-24-2009, 01:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Picture details
(originally posted by Emeralds and Opals)
Tights and sandals ... I am not sure ... On one hand, some members have said on many occasions that it is "no-no". On the other, I have been told that true ladies do not show bear legs and wear tights irrespective of seasons... Could anyone, please, tell what is acceptable in such situations?
Old 03-24-2009, 02:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think by saying only "true ladies" do something, you're denigrating the women who don't do those things. We're all ladies, even if we don't wear pantyhose. I don't wear it, regardless of the weather. I hate it. I don't really think there's one good answer to the question. Some women live in warm climates where pantyhose isn't necessary. Others live in very cold climates where it is. It's personal preference really, not a hard and fast rule. You're no less of a lady for not wearing it than you are for wearing it.

BTW, those aren't sandals she's wearing. Those are strappy heels. Sandals are flat shoes you usually wear in casual situations, like to the beach or on the boardwalk.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 03-24-2009, 02:49 PM
Heir Apparent

It has not been my intention to denigrate women, who do not wear tights. That is what my grandmother used to tell me. I have heard that the rule "Tights should be worn irrespective of seasons" applies to businesswomen from Wall Street and women employed by the UN.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:29 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
I think by saying only "true ladies" do something, you're denigrating the women who don't do those things. We're all ladies, even if we don't wear pantyhose. I don't wear it, regardless of the weather. I hate it. I don't really think there's one good answer to the question. Some women live in warm climates where pantyhose isn't necessary. Others live in very cold climates where it is. It's personal preference really, not a hard and fast rule. You're no less of a lady for not wearing it than you are for wearing it.

BTW, those aren't sandals she's wearing. Those are strappy heels. Sandals are flat shoes you usually wear in casual situations, like to the beach or on the boardwalk.

Actually sandals can have high heels like the ones Mathidle has been wearing in Mexico - she has this pair in red and beige

Mexico

Old 03-24-2009, 04:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Al_Bina you are right, according to the Bon Ton ( Etiquette) "real ladies" should always wear tights. Older real ladies do always wear tights. They wear also sandals with tights and I agree they don't look nice at all.
I have read that Jackie Kennedy was criticized because she went to the Easter mass in Palm Beach without wearing tights, though it was warm.

I think that times have changed and the majority of “real ladies” do not follow this rule anymore, tough all women wear thights on high class (religious) weddings, even in Summer in Italy, but in the very last years less and less young women do.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't really think the wearing of pantyhose is an important thing. It should be up to the woman whether or not she wants to wear them, archaic fashion rules based on what does or does not make a "real lady".....I just don't think apply to a 21st century society.

BTW, I keep seeing the word "tights" used when pantyhose would be more applicable. Tights are usually a thicker material and are worn by little girls or pre-teen girls. Tights are usually opaque and not sheer. Pantyhose are worn by grown women, tights by little girls.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 03-24-2009, 04:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for the information! Although it looks a bit awkward, it is acceptable to wear tights with open-toe shoes, peep-toe shoes, or sandals of a certain design (e.g., Louboutin's Etrier Patent sandals).
As for tights and pantyhose, I think it depends on where one lives. According to Longman Dictionary,
Quote:
Tights is a piece of women's clothing made of very thin material that fits tightly over the feet and legs and goes up to the waist [= pantyhose American English]
Old 03-24-2009, 04:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
archaic fashion rules based on what does or does not make a "real lady".....I just don't think apply to a 21st century society.
I agree, though all the etiquette's rules look archaic and, believe me, many people still follow them.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:37 PM
Serene Highness
TRF Author

Quote:
I don't think Al_bina or giov wanted to say that Mathilde is a true lady and other women who don't wear tights are vulgar. It's quite clear that the meaning was "true classy ladies" wear tights. You, and anyone else is free to wear whatever they like, but all etiquette books refer that elegant ladies wear tights at formal events. That's a golden rule in fashion.

I love the dress, very pretty on her.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:09 PM

I believe the yellow-beige dress is wonderful. It's Nathan, again, of course. I think that the bright yellow suits her, and the asymmetrical neckline works wonders to emphasize her face. An all yellow dress would have been over the top though. It would drag away the attention from her face, because yellow is such a dominant colour.

About the tights discussion: she probably wears them because she doesn't want blisters because of the heat. Of course there are better choices than shiny tights and open-toed shoes (regardless of the precise defenition of sandals), but she's probably just being practical.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLeana View Post
I believe the yellow-beige dress is wonderful. It's Nathan, again, of course. I think that the bright yellow suits her, and the asymmetrical neckline works wonders to emphasize her face. An all yellow dress would have been over the top though. It would drag away the attention from her face, because yellow is such a dominant colour.
Well I completely agree. I seem to be surprising myself a lot lately, as the yellow would not normally be a colour I would like, even less on Mathilde.
mathilde has a great body and I love it when she wears something like this that shows it off, and less shiny tights would show her legs off better as they would look less like an extension of her dress (did that make sense?)
Old 03-25-2009, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger

Official Reception
http://picture.belga.be/belgapicture...v/13137194.jpg
http://picture.belga.be/belgapicture...v/13137184.jpg

Details
http://picture.belga.be/belgapicture...v/13137228.jpg
http://picture.belga.be/belgapicture...v/13137224.jpg

Old 03-25-2009, 06:29 AM
Commoner

Thumbs up

I missed Mathilde's elegant look with her hair done up.
It makes her look very stylish
Lately her hair looked a bit messy ....
Old 03-25-2009, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger

Watermark-free pictures http://royals.web-log.nl/photos/unca...mathilde_2.jpg

Old 03-25-2009, 08:45 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
I don't think Al_bina or giov wanted to say that Mathilde is a true lady and other women who don't wear tights are vulgar. It's quite clear that the meaning was "true classy ladies" wear tights. You, and anyone else is free to wear whatever they like, but all etiquette books refer that elegant ladies wear tights at formal events. That's a golden rule in fashion.

I love the dress, very pretty on her.
agree...bye the way i think its about evening the skin tone too...often looks better with pantyhose..just depends on the color andthickness you choose...if they were worn in royal surounding only for weather protection letizia and rania and lalla salma would not wear most time...and mind that very thin nylon is not a very good insulation...just reminds me of ball season when girls i know complained that wearing tights made them feel more cold..and i think that nylon and open toe shoes is pretty open thing..celebs and royals often show that way...guess it should be free to choos and not an special etiquette...would not want to force someone to wear something he/she does not like...
nice Mathilde pics too...
by the way the blue dress seems bit wide aroundthe waist..does not charm her figure much (IMHO)...greetings
steve
Old 03-25-2009, 10:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

I really have liked Mathilde's look this whole state visit. Even if some outfits weren't my favorite, she has really hit the princess mark IMO and I think she looks great. Better than alot of other state visits by the princess's this year!!

Tags
crown princess mathilde, eveningwear, fashion