The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 11:23 AM
Aristocracy

I've been thinking the same thing, that Mary hasn't been wearing hats as often as she is used to. On the other hand, I think she tends to wear hats more in the summer.

I think she looks great in hats. Has the perfect face/head for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyS
I don't know if this is in the wrong thread but I would like to know when does Mary have to wear a hat (for which occasions?).
I noticed that when she was first doing her engagements she wore hats quite often but she doesn't seem to anymore.

Is it just up to her on the day?

Thanks

Old 03-28-2007, 11:59 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margrethe II
It was a floral aigrette, supported on a head band.

"MII"
Where can one fine these floral aigrette's? At any hat shop?
And I also think that Mary has the right face shape (and head shape) to wear hats. Not to mention that she has a nice long neck! Yes, I'm jealous of her long neck....

Old 03-28-2007, 01:39 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelD
Where can one fine these floral aigrette's? At any hat shop?
And I also think that Mary has the right face shape (and head shape) to wear hats. Not to mention that she has a nice long neck! Yes, I'm jealous of her long neck....
I would consider the headpiece that Princess Mary wore at Prince Christian's christening as simply a floral headband.

Aigrettes are defined as:1 : a spray of feathers (as of the egret) for the head
2 : a spray of gems worn on a hat or in the hair

and looks more like the cover of this book:
Barnes*&*Noble.com - Books: Timeless Tiaras, by Diana Scarisbrick, Hardcover
or what Cate Blanchett wore in 'An Ideal Husband' movie:
pdvd_012 pictures from hobbies & interests photos on webshots (Hit refresh if it opens to a blank window)

As for Princess Mary's floral headband at the christening, I recently copied it for a friend's daughter having her first communion just using fake flowers from a crafts store and a glue gun:
Lying flat without the headband
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...M/fullview.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...PM/right-1.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...PM/topview.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...M/headband.jpg

The mounting on black headband wasn't so good when this photo was taken but has now been fixed. The headband was temporary because this particular headband was way too big for a 7-yr old.

-Ayvee
Old 03-28-2007, 01:46 PM
Serene Highness

Ayvee, that's quite beautiful! How were you able to glue all the flowers on such a thin headband? Or did you glue the flowers on a separate base and sew the headband on? I really want this aigette.

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" Pride and Prejudice
Old 03-28-2007, 01:48 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldt20
I've been thinking the same thing, that Mary hasn't been wearing hats as often as she is used to. On the other hand, I think she tends to wear hats more in the summer.

I think she looks great in hats. Has the perfect face/head for it!
I think it's to protect that beautiful porcelain skin in the summer.

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" Pride and Prejudice
Old 03-28-2007, 03:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayvee
I would consider the headpiece that Princess Mary wore at Prince Christian's christening as simply a floral headband.

Aigrettes are defined as:1 : a spray of feathers (as of the egret) for the head
2 : a spray of gems worn on a hat or in the hair

and looks more like the cover of this book:
Barnes*&*Noble.com - Books: Timeless Tiaras, by Diana Scarisbrick, Hardcover
or what Cate Blanchett wore in 'An Ideal Husband' movie:
pdvd_012 pictures from hobbies & interests photos on webshots (Hit refresh if it opens to a blank window)

As for Princess Mary's floral headband at the christening, I recently copied it for a friend's daughter having her first communion just using fake flowers from a crafts store and a glue gun:
Lying flat without the headband
The mounting on black headband wasn't so good when this photo was taken but has now been fixed. The headband was temporary because this particular headband was way too big for a 7-yr old.

-Ayvee
Wow!
Excellent work! Maybe you should open up your own shop???
My sister is very good with arts and crafts...maybe I'll have her make me one!
So, back to subject, IMO, Mary definitly has a large number of lovely hats!
And I think it's safe to assume that her reason for wearing more hats during the summer is to protect her skin from the hot sun. And even with the hats on, in some of her pictures you can see a light tan and freckles. Does it get really hot in Denmark?
Old 03-28-2007, 04:21 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelD
Wow!
Does it get really hot in Denmark?
It differs; we can have summers which are more aptly referred to as green winters - and then once in a while we have some - lovely - hot summers like last year. Probably nothing compared to what Mary is used to in Australia though.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane
It differs; we can have summers which are more aptly referred to as green winters - and then once in a while we have some - lovely - hot summers like last year. Probably nothing compared to what Mary is used to in Australia though.
Yeah, I bet for Mary the Danish summer is like an Australian spring/winter for her! Wow, very interesting!
Old 03-30-2007, 02:30 PM
Courtier

Bob haircuts can be done differently. Cut straight across or a little layered (at the bottom). We see more layers now probably because she emphasizes them by curling, blow-drying, styling the ends outwards instead of inwards, or just straight, the way she wore it on her first appearance with the bob haircut. Also, another thing that can make hair look shorter is the neckline of blouse/dresses/coats your wearing. If the neckline is low the hair looks shorter, if it's a high neckline, the hair looks longer. Sort of like when you wear a short dress/skirt and you wear really high heels, it's makes the dress/skirt seem shorter. But, if she did get more layers, cool! To me it still looks great on her.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:38 PM
Courtier

Looking back at the first pictures after cutting her hair, it actually doesn't look very flattering .. But it got better and better, and I really like it now.

Anways, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE her hair here:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...07FM1-1-07.jpg

sourceanish royal watchers
Old 05-05-2007, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSaga
Looking back at the first pictures after cutting her hair, it actually doesn't look very flattering .. But it got better and better, and I really like it now.

Anways, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE her hair here:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...07FM1-1-07.jpg

sourceanish royal watchers
Thats a great length, looks beautiful. I think its nicer than the length it is at now. anyways hair always grows, change is also good sometimes
Old 05-13-2007, 11:59 PM
Aristocracy

That picture of her is very beautiful. I loke her hair both long and short.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:46 AM

i love her!!!
She is always very well dreesed with style...and for every occasion...
Old 07-12-2007, 12:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

I really love Mary as well but am still in shock that see cut her hair it's a bit average however I do need to get over it as she appears to be growing it. And yes Mary always looks great.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:50 PM
Heir Apparent

One of my favorite blogs complied a short collection of Mary's hats.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:38 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras View Post
One of my favorite blogs complied a short collection of Mary's hats.
That first hat is the ONLY hat I've seen on Mary that I don't like. Otherwise, she has amazing taste in hats.

Old 07-28-2007, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurberryBrit View Post
That first hat is the ONLY hat I've seen on Mary that I don't like. Otherwise, she has amazing taste in hats.
Is it the color or shape that you didnt like?
I thought the hat was a great choice with the outfit worn with it, but im guessing if she wore it with something else im not sure how it would look. The hat seemed to be abit dull, it worked with the outfit because the skirt had alot of white (meaning that the outfit was colorful in a way)
The hat that i did not like at all was the purple one which i think should not be worn again, ill look for the picture & post it soon. I think it was such a string shade of purple.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

I didn't like it either- I think it was the shape and proportion.

Old 07-29-2007, 12:22 AM
Heir Apparent

For me it was the bucket shape and the proportion as well. The color, dark forest green, looks great against her skin color, but the style was a big no-no in my book.

Old 07-29-2007, 03:53 AM
Serene Highness

I agree: color GREAT, shape NOT. But Mary has wonderful hat taste. Even the fur hat she wore to a christening may not have worked on someone else, but was really cute and young on Mary.

Closed Thread

Tags
crown princess mary, crown princess mary of denmark, hair, hairstyle, hats, headwear, mary donaldson, mary: crown princess of denmark