Crown Princess Mary's Eveningwear Part 9: January 2012 - May 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dazzling

Former Moderator
City
-
Country
France
Welcome to Part 9 of
The Crown Princess Mary's Eveningwear

You can find the old thread here

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs!

· Only pictures you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· No more than 20% of the text of an article can be posted, along with a link to the original article.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles.
· We expect our members to treat each other and the royals and persons in these threads with respect.
· Opinions should be backed up by reference to published reports.
· Off topic and empty posts will be deleted without notice.
· Please be careful not to write in capital letters.

Happy Posting!
:flowers:
Royal House of Fashion Moderators

ok here is the tailor for the velvet dress!'
Birgit Hallstein

Well Mary looks boring, for a celebration I thought she'd wear something new.

I like the dress.
But she certainly has been wearing some sad colors today.

I can understand if Mary didn't want to take the limelight away from the Queen, but she could have dressed in a brighter color that I'm sure wouldn't have detracted from anything. Even a tone similar to the beautiful plum velvet gown she wore recently. It is a celebration, after all.

Last edited:
Well, I'm basing my opinion on post #5's picture, and all I can see is one solid wall of black. I can barely see the top in that. Other royal ladies are certainly wearing bright colors.

Last edited:
This dress is boring.I wish she wore a brighter color.At least a nice repeat like that pink dress she wore at the Monaco wedding ball.

I think the dress is gorgeous, especially with the fur/cape/robe/thing she wore when she arrived.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say this is a good look for her. Her previous outings in this ensemble were better. The tiara looks at odds with this outfit.

IloveCP said:
This dress is boring.I wish she wore a brighter color.At least a nice repeat like that pink dress she wore at the Monaco wedding ball.

That dress would have been lovely.
And I don't think there should be any talk of upstaging, everybody attending this event and reading about it knows why it's going on. Mary wearing bright clothes won't change Margrethe celebrating 40 years on the throne.

That dress would have been lovely.
And I don't think there should be any talk of upstaging, everybody attending this event and reading about it knows why it's going on. Mary wearing bright clothes won't change Margrethe celebrating 40 years on the throne.
Maybe not to you, but there are many who would criticize Crown Princess Mary for doing just that!:whistling:

The reporters (and especially fashion designer Jesper Høvring) on DR commenting the evening seems to be certain that tomorrow will be a lot more exciting (and bright) dress wise.

The reporters (and especially fashion designer Jesper Høvring) on DR commenting the evening seems to be certain that tomorrow will be a lot more exciting (and bright) dress wise.
Interesting....I wonder if he has designed a dress for Crown Princess Mary to wear tomorrow! He did design the orange dress from the 2010 New Year's Court and the dress from Crown Princess Victoria's wedding (modified for the November 2011 Australia visit) didn't he?

Terri Terri said:
Maybe not to you, but there are many who would criticize Crown Princess Mary for doing just that!:whistling:

Then whoever those people are, would go down as ridiculously petty and childish in my book. Looking like you're attending an upmarket funeral is better than wearing a bright dress? I think not. If other Queens manage to wear bright colours and not be criticised, I don't see why Mary would. Even Alexandra wore red.

Then whoever those people are, would go down as ridiculously petty and childish in my book. Looking like you're attending an upmarket funeral is better than wearing a bright dress? I think not.
I would agree with you on that!:lol::whistling:

Interesting....I wonder if he has designed a dress for Crown Princess Mary to wear tomorrow! He did design the orange dress from the 2010 New Year's Court and the dress from Crown Princess Victoria's wedding (modified for the November 2011 Australia visit) didn't he?

If he has, he's keeping it a secret ;) But earlier he said that he has designed a few of the dresses tonight (but not any royal dresses, sadly).

I don't like this look at all.Although this cape or robe is one of my favorite pieces Mary owns,It doesn't look good with this black dress which itself isn't suitable for a tiara event.I don't like the difference in black shades between the top and the bottom of the dress also navy and black colours are not good combination here.

Last edited:
The dress isn't navy and black...the top is in a glittering black material while the skirt appears to be black tulle or chiffon? It looks good with the tiara IMO. The cape is purple velvet and she was wearing diamond and amethyst (purple) earrings

I mean the navy cape as it appears on my computer and the black dress colour combination is not good But I changed my mind about the dress with the tiara after seeing better pics, the dress is looking good with the tiara.

Then whoever those people are, would go down as ridiculously petty and childish in my book. Looking like you're attending an upmarket funeral is better than wearing a bright dress? I think not. If other Queens manage to wear bright colours and not be criticised, I don't see why Mary would. Even Alexandra wore red.
But the Queens wouldn't be criticised. Mary would have been.
Perhaps Alexandra wants to be noticed. ;)

But the Queens wouldn't be criticised. Mary would have been.
Perhaps Alexandra wants to be noticed. ;)
Exactly! Crown Princess Mary for some reason or other, attracts a great deal of negative comment from some royal watchers. And this is the first time in 5 years that Alexandra has been invited to a royal event where she can wear her tiara! It is not as if she gets invited to royal gala events that often.
Crown Princess Mary...on the other hand...attends many Danish and foreign royal events where she can wear tiaras and dress glamorously!:flowers: So if she had decided to be more subdued and allow her mother-in-law to have the 'fashion' limelight for a couple days...then so be it!:)

I have no issues with the dress. It's simple enough to allow some nice jewelry, and the pieces Mary chose complete the look well. I like the contrast between the top and the bottom of this gown; provides balance and prevents the dress from looking too boring or too sparkly.

I adore Mary in black (rather, charcoal this evening) and thankfully, she does too! ;):p

Well put, Terri Terri. When it comes to Gala's it is usually all about Mary, but to be honest, Queen Margrethe can and does more than hold her own. That being said, if Mary has decided to hold back a little and let her Mother-in-Law stand alone in the spotlight for a celebration in her honour, I can only applaud her.

Nevertheless, it is not as if she wore cinders! I think the diamond tiara and the diamonds on the drop earrings complimented the bodice of the dress perfectly . The the flowing softness of the chiffon skirt gave the dress an elegant femininity. But the cape? Oh how I adore the lush richness of the purple velvet and how it's colour enhanced the Amethyst? drops on the earrings making them seem even more lustrous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom