The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 08:15 AM
Courtier

I agree. I do not like the pearls on the earrings at all. They do not seem to 'fit'. The rest is, one word, sublime.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady74 View Post
I love the Danish Royal Family they look so regal, beautiful gowns and jewels and the men look like they just stepped out of a fairytale. Yet they can be so down to earth and normal. I love following them
You are right!

A perfect combination of tradition and modernity!

I love them also.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:00 AM
Courtier

Gorgeous dress. Love the hairstyle also. I like this version much more than the first one!
Old 01-02-2012, 10:29 AM
Nobility

the dress is fabulous!! I just don't like the hairdo and the earings.

Queen Mathilde
Old 01-02-2012, 11:00 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – The Netherlands

Mary was really elegant yesterday. The velvet dress is really beautiful: nice colour and style. The purse is Prada, she already use it.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:33 AM
Royal Highness

I must say I like the newer version of the dress.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
The pearls looked altogether too dreary for words. Mary needs to remember the old adage, "Just because you can doesn't mean you should!"
There's a fashion adage that states one should stand in front of a mirror and remove at least one accessory so as not to overdo your look. I think Mary should have removed the pearl drops on her earrings and brooch; they weren't necessary and the rubies are outstanding on their own merit. But otherwise, I thought she looked lovely.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane View Post
You'll have a hard time convincing med that the hairpiece is fake - no way do I belieive it is not real gems, probably from the reworking of the tiara when it seems that the top piece(s) was taken out and the rest made more dense to accommodate Mary's smaller headsize.
I agree about the neckline, not least because it does not allow Mary to wear the grand necklace that goes with the parure - and it is a bit heavy with the chain of the order of the elephant (and I am aware that these New years cours are not about being esthically beautiful or even fashionable - it's about bringing all the heavy artillery out, jewel-wise, but still...).
When the Duke of Marmalade refers to the fake hairpiece, I'm assuming he means added fake hair for the hairdo, not fake jewelry, or have I misinterpreted what fake hairpiece means?
I doubt that neither the hair, nor the jewels are fake. It is pretty amazing what hairdressers can do with a comb and a can of hairspray!
As far as fake jewlery, the tiara is much smaller and fits Mary much better now, imo. Can't just leave those leaves lying around!
Old 01-02-2012, 12:20 PM
Heir Apparent

I can't speak for the Duke, but I'm pretty sure he's referring to fake hair not fake jewelry. Those pieces are definitely from the parure. I took a closer look at the side view of Mary's hair and I do detect a darker portion of hair below the jeweled ornament where it doesn't quite match with the rest of her hair. That may or may not mean anything, and if it's padded it wouldn't be the first time ladies used extensions to add volume to tiara hair.

There's been a lot of discussion here about whether or not this is a reworked dress of Mary's so here's a link that refers to it. Just scroll a bit down where her gown is discussed:

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor
Old 01-02-2012, 12:37 PM
Royal Highness

Thank you Frelinghighness and Baroness of Books - you're right I misunderstood Duke's of Marmalade's message.

Sorry Duke - like the magpie I am, I didn't even contemplate whether you meant the hair itself - just the jewellery!
Old 01-02-2012, 12:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
I can't speak for the Duke, but I'm pretty sure he's referring to fake hair not fake jewelry. Those pieces are definitely from the parure. I took a closer look at the side view of Mary's hair and I do detect a darker portion of hair below the jeweled ornament where it doesn't quite match with the rest of her hair.
Well, "only her hairdresser knows for sure", and I'm not a hairdresser, but i also noticed the underneath dark part. Most hair is lighter on top, either naturally bleached by the sun, or with aid from some chemicals
Old 01-02-2012, 01:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, that's why it may not mean anything because hair can be darker underneath and Mary certainly seems to have an abundance of it! Either way, it looks fabulous and gets high marks from me for tiara hair.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane View Post
Thank you Frelinghighness and Baroness of Books - you're right I misunderstood Duke's of Marmalade's message.

Sorry Duke - like the magpie I am, I didn't even contemplate whether you meant the hair itself - just the jewellery!
No probs UserDane, of course I meant the hair and I didnt realize that you were talking about the jewellery

So again, hairy hairpiece = fake, jewel hairpiece, jewel hairpiece = real jewel parts from the parure (in my opinion).
Old 01-02-2012, 03:43 PM
Royal Highness

Thanks Duke It may be a fake hair piece; I'm not very good at discerning this sort of things. The only times I have been able to tell for certain is for some of queen Silvias elaborate Nobel creations.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

I am not sure in this case but in an otehr heairdoes i think they use some fake hair but like inside to fill in and on top they use her own hair, still would be nice to know how to get that perfect updo in such evening ware!!

i think is someone whats to have a dress like this you can buy the velver:
Online Fabric Store | You Searched for: velvet
and have a good dress maker make it!
i think it is stuning the dress very classy jjust the only problem is to get the jewellery that make it so special!!!!!!and of course to havea shpe of body like her super after 4 babies!
Old 01-02-2012, 04:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Actually, the Soho Velvet Wine swatch looks very similar to Mary's material. With this color, you can wear ruby jewelry (which Mary has, of course) or amethysts.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Crown Princess Mary looked splendid. However I wish she wore less jewellery.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Agreed, I think she could have done without the brooch at her waist.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:51 PM
Royal Highness

She left out the necklace that goes with this set this year - and isn't it the first time she has done that for a New Year's court when she has worn the ruby set?
Perhaps she - or others? - felt that some 'compensation' was needed. IMO, the New Year's court is not about presenting the jewellery as esthically beautiful as possible. At any other event I agree that it would be too much - and Mary would never pile on the jewellery in that amount. But this traditional New Year's court is something special.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Also, Mary's necklace wouldn't have looked good with the design of that neckline. It would be better displayed with a lower or scoop bodice, so she was right to leave it off.