Crown Princess Mary's Eveningwear Part 8: July 2011 - January 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: I agree. I do not like the pearls on the earrings at all. They do not seem to 'fit'. The rest is, one word, sublime.:wub:

I love the Danish Royal Family they look so regal, beautiful gowns and jewels and the men look like they just stepped out of a fairytale. Yet they can be so down to earth and normal. I love following them

You are right!

A perfect combination of tradition and modernity!

I love them also.

Gorgeous dress. Love the hairstyle also. I like this version much more than the first one!

the dress is fabulous!! I just don't like the hairdo and the earings.

Mary was really elegant yesterday. The velvet dress is really beautiful: nice colour and style. The purse is Prada, she already use it.

The pearls looked altogether too dreary for words. Mary needs to remember the old adage, "Just because you can doesn't mean you should!"

There's a fashion adage that states one should stand in front of a mirror and remove at least one accessory so as not to overdo your look. I think Mary should have removed the pearl drops on her earrings and brooch; they weren't necessary and the rubies are outstanding on their own merit. But otherwise, I thought she looked lovely.

You'll have a hard time convincing med that the hairpiece is fake;) - no way do I belieive it is not real gems, probably from the reworking of the tiara when it seems that the top piece(s) was taken out and the rest made more dense to accommodate Mary's smaller headsize.
I agree about the neckline, not least because it does not allow Mary to wear the grand necklace that goes with the parure - and it is a bit heavy with the chain of the order of the elephant (and I am aware that these New years cours are not about being esthically beautiful or even fashionable - it's about bringing all the heavy artillery out, jewel-wise, but still...).
When the Duke of Marmalade refers to the fake hairpiece, I'm assuming he means added fake hair for the hairdo, not fake jewelry, or have I misinterpreted what fake hairpiece means?
I doubt that neither the hair, nor the jewels are fake. It is pretty amazing what hairdressers can do with a comb and a can of hairspray!
As far as fake jewlery, the tiara is much smaller and fits Mary much better now, imo. Can't just leave those leaves lying around!

Last edited:
I can't speak for the Duke, but I'm pretty sure he's referring to fake hair not fake jewelry. Those pieces are definitely from the parure. I took a closer look at the side view of Mary's hair and I do detect a darker portion of hair below the jeweled ornament where it doesn't quite match with the rest of her hair. That may or may not mean anything, and if it's padded it wouldn't be the first time ladies used extensions to add volume to tiara hair.

There's been a lot of discussion here about whether or not this is a reworked dress of Mary's so here's a link that refers to it. Just scroll a bit down where her gown is discussed:

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor

Last edited:
Thank you Frelinghighness and Baroness of Books - you're right I misunderstood Duke's of Marmalade's message.

Sorry Duke :blush: - like the magpie I am, I didn't even contemplate whether you meant the hair itself - just the jewellery!

Last edited:
I can't speak for the Duke, but I'm pretty sure he's referring to fake hair not fake jewelry. Those pieces are definitely from the parure. I took a closer look at the side view of Mary's hair and I do detect a darker portion of hair below the jeweled ornament where it doesn't quite match with the rest of her hair.
Well, "only her hairdresser knows for sure", and I'm not a hairdresser, but i also noticed the underneath dark part. Most hair is lighter on top, either naturally bleached by the sun, or with aid from some chemicals:ohmy:

Yes, that's why it may not mean anything because hair can be darker underneath and Mary certainly seems to have an abundance of it! Either way, it looks fabulous and gets high marks from me for tiara hair.

Last edited:
Thank you Frelinghighness and Baroness of Books - you're right I misunderstood Duke's of Marmalade's message.

Sorry Duke :blush: - like the magpie I am, I didn't even contemplate whether you meant the hair itself - just the jewellery!

No probs UserDane, of course I meant the hair and I didnt realize that you were talking about the jewellery :flowers:

So again, hairy hairpiece = fake, jewel hairpiece, jewel hairpiece = real jewel parts from the parure (in my opinion).

Thanks Duke :)It may be a fake hair piece; I'm not very good at discerning this sort of things. The only times I have been able to tell for certain is for some of queen Silvias elaborate Nobel creations.

I am not sure in this case but in an otehr heairdoes i think they use some fake hair but like inside to fill in and on top they use her own hair, still would be nice to know how to get that perfect updo in such evening ware!!

i think is someone whats to have a dress like this you can buy the velver:
Online Fabric Store | You Searched for: velvet
and have a good dress maker make it!
i think it is stuning the dress very classy jjust the only problem is to get the jewellery that make it so special!!!!!!and of course to havea shpe of body like her super after 4 babies!

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:Actually, the Soho Velvet Wine swatch looks very similar to Mary's material. With this color, you can wear ruby jewelry (which Mary has, of course) or amethysts.

Crown Princess Mary looked splendid. However I wish she wore less jewellery.

Agreed, I think she could have done without the brooch at her waist.

She left out the necklace that goes with this set this year - and isn't it the first time she has done that for a New Year's court when she has worn the ruby set?
Perhaps she - or others? - felt that some 'compensation' was needed. IMO, the New Year's court is not about presenting the jewellery as esthically beautiful as possible. At any other event I agree that it would be too much - and Mary would never pile on the jewellery in that amount. But this traditional New Year's court is something special.

Also, Mary's necklace wouldn't have looked good with the design of that neckline. It would be better displayed with a lower or scoop bodice, so she was right to leave it off.

With respect to the fake hairpiece issue, i'm pretty sure it is her own hair. In the pictures of the royal family going to church on Christmas Day, Mary's hair looks a lot lighter on top then it has recently, so maybe she had it lightened a few days ago. Then when it is put up, because the colour is so fresh, the contrast between her hair is more obvious. She does seem to have quite a lot of her own natural hair. I can't imagine a hairpiece would be needed.
For the curious, the pictures from church on xmas day are over on my royals blogspot.

:previous:Yes, I noticed myself how much lighter Mary's hair is now from that same site; almost auburn in tone actually.

:previous:Actually, the Soho Velvet Wine swatch looks very similar to Mary's material. With this color, you can wear ruby jewelry (which Mary has, of course) or amethysts.
\i supposie it is diffiuclt to say becasue of photos but i thought this one was more similar, what you think?
Fairvel Christmas Red Velvet
I was thinking another thing, the condecoration of the elephant must be very heavy and normally stay perfect so I guess mas be sawn to the dress, by now I am sure she knows how to walk and carry them but I am sure first time wasn't easy to keep your head up with the tiara and all the rest of the jewellery on your body you must jeep working out just to curry them!!!!!:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I am almost persuaded that they are two totally different dresses. The neckline on the original was designed to carry the ruby necklace and this one wouldn't fit a choker let alone a piece of serious jewellery.

Mary doesn't seem to be a person who would have 2 dresses that are the same with slight changes made. Same color, same fabric and same cut with just a belt added and different neckline therefore I personally think its just changed from neckline to waist. The aqua dress worn in Australia recently was the same dress worn to Victoria's wedding earlier which had a completely different top part.

About the fake hair discussion, who cares. Many people have extensions or fake pieces put in when they go for certain hair dos. IMO, I don't think she had any in, Mary has thick hair. When one puts their hair up, the bottom back part is usually a slight shade different.

The velvet fabric of this dress is beautiful. Mary looks wonderful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom