Crown Princess Mary's Eveningwear Part 7: May 2010 - July 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The back view is very, very unflattering - Mary outfit standards have clearly dropped since the twins were born.

The dress goes back a few years, the lace/embellished jacket/bolero not sure if vie seen it before.

I love the lace bolero/shawl by itself, not a good look with the dress.

This ˝panel˝ on the front of the dress is very strange-looking. I like bolero but not with that gown. She previously paired it with little white dress, am I right? For me this hairstyle is too serious.

The back view is very, very unflattering - Mary outfit standards have clearly dropped since the twins were born.
I remember the time after I had given birth to my 4th child and I realized that however much I worked out, my body will never be the same. Sometimes when you are at a certain age and have had multiple births, it's very very hard to go back to what you used to be:sad:

I remember the time after I had given birth to my 4th child and I realized that however much I worked out, my body will never be the same. Sometimes when you are at a certain age and have had multiple births, it's very very hard to go back to what you used to be:sad:

While this may be true (as nobody knows how it is in Mary's case), she should have chosen a dress that fits her new body frame / type, instead of picking a dress that is clearly too tight. It would have been a better choice.

I don't think it's a question of having had children. To me this is a perfect time to do a Pippa/Mary comparison. While I think both chose dresses for weddings that highlighted their backsides, Pippa managed to be tailored and fitted without it hugging inappropriately. Mary walks straight into the "I should have had my husband look at this before committing to this gown."

Mary's got a lot of ball gowns. She would have been much better served by picking one not too clingy. She still has a great figure to be sure. But showing off your assets is not a good thing.

I agree with others that her hair is pulled way too tight. I've been noticing she doesn't have great ears and showing some softness is much more flattering on almost any woman.

I don't think it's a question of having had children.

Mary's got a lot of ball gowns. She would have been much better served by picking one not too clingy. She still has a great figure to be sure. But showing off your assets

I agree. She has a great figure, she was really too fashion model stick arms thin before. However, just let the tailer take a look and take them out a little or choose another dress.:flowers:

I think the lace bolero is beautiful, just a shame that it was paired with an odd gown. I do not like the panel of bubble in front of the smooth panel at all. It just looks like a separate piece of dress. The top half looks unbalanced and out of shape too.
Her hair for me is lovely, anything else would have complicated the overall look of this ensemble. Clean, elegant hair and makeup and stunning jewellery is my favourite part of this.

It looks like she needs "Spanx" for this gown. Mary has looked very tired since the twins were born, but I guess that is to be expected! I hope she is not suffering from post-partum distress. At the first State dinner that she attended (in the black dress with the new pearl embellishments to her wedding tiara), she looked dazed and sort of catatonic, and the tiara was on slightly crooked, too. She looked more cheerful at Princess Nathalie's wedding at least.

Quite right, auntie. Mary has long maintained her athletically svelte physique and certainly, she's looking terrific, but I would not be surprised if her body's ability to reform and reshape itself has been altered long term and would require an upping of the ante, fitness wise. That wouldn't surprise me at all and not that she doesn't have a wonderful figure as it is.

Also, if she's still breastfeeding, be it that she's probably started to wean the children, then her body is trying to regulate itself as well from being a living food source.

I'd also be surprised (though some will protest no doubt) if Mary has had as much of an opportunity (or interest?) to consistently exercise over the past 4 or so months. Though I'm sure she's gradually increasing the intesity of her workouts and the frequency in which she does them.

Personally,I think it comes down to tone more than anything. By September/October I'm sure she'll have regained her post pregnancy tone for the most part. She didn't appear to put on much weight at all during the twins pregnancy so that will certainly help in achieving a pre pregnancy weight and shape.

Last edited:
Its not about mocking a woman who has given birth to 4 children by now but about wearing clothes according to body shape/taking precaution when wearing clothes that used to be worn pre-twinpregancy.

Understood, though what some people have evidently failed to take into consideration also is that the photo with her back facing the lense was taken outside, thus the nuisance of natural light combined with flash photography impressioned the royal posterior. It happens. The nude colour of the evening dress unfortunately highlighted it.

Furthermore, has anyone contemplated the possibility of a breeze?

Sure, Mary probably would have been best to have worn a different evening dress of a different colour but by all accounts, the dress appears to fit well. It is by no means a favourite of mine, but if it didn't fit I'd certainly state as such.

Last edited:
Understood, though what some people have evidently failed to take into consideration also is that the photo with her back facing the lense was taken outside, thus the nuisance of natural light combined with flash photography impressioned the royal posterior. It happens. The nude colour of the evening dress unfortunately highlighted it.

Furthermore, has anyone contemplated the possibility of a breeze?

Sure, Mary probably would have been best to have worn a different evening dress of a different colour but by all accounts, the dress appears to fit well. It is by no means a favourite of mine, but if it didn't fit I'd certainly state as such.

:lol: blame the breeze.

It wasn't the most flattering colour. I adore the little jacket though.

:lol: blame the breeze.

It wasn't the most flattering colour. I adore the little jacket though.

or the light ;)

Well, especially female royals must be - and certainly are - aware of all these little traps that can cause some unflattering pictures that make the whole gossip circle (visible bras through flashlight, flashing underwear a la Marilyn Monroe, sweaty armpits etc etc)

Again, Mary has a great body for a woman who has had a twin pregnancy and given birth to 4 children in total - there are many women out there who dont have children at all and look worse - but since she is in the public eye she needs to be aware of dress malfunctions caused by a changing body shape and age.

I don't disagree, I just think people are too quick to suggest the evening dress doesn't fit well when there are a number of reasons that are likely to have contributed to the eye drawing photo ;)

Last edited:
The dress and the lace jacket are very lovely and she looks great for me.

i love that dress since the first time i saw it, back in 2006. mary always shows that she can recycle with style.

i like the whole style, i'll give her a 10. i was wishing give her a 10 since long time ago, and her 2 latest evening performances(both in pink, the color i hate most) deserves it.

All I can say is that her bum certainly doesn't look big in that dress! She has a lovely figure and always looks nice to me.

Not liking Mary's hair down with this dress. She and Maxima should have pulled their hair back. The color is nice, but overall, the look is just okay.

Great color on Mary! But I know I'll be in the minority when I say that I like her down with the dress.

i love that dress since the first time i saw it, back in 2006. mary always shows that she can recycle with style.

i like the whole style, i'll give her a 10. i was wishing give her a 10 since long time ago, and her 2 latest evening performances(both in pink, the color i hate most) deserves it.

I don't remember seeing this dress before. Do you have a picture? :)

Great color on Mary! But I know I'll be in the minority when I say that I like her down with the dress.

We'll be in the minority together because I like her hair down with this dress too. Gorgeous color!

We'll be in the minority together because I like her hair down with this dress too. Gorgeous color!

Agreed. Her hair looked great worn down last night. Beautiful cocktail dress as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom