The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 06:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

I sorta agree with DoM, at least in terms of the coverage i.e. wearing her fur in a stole or wrap fashion. I don't think it provides adequate coverage. She is wearing sleeveless, in previous years, she wore full sleeves, or covered herself up with a cape or fur jacket such as the one Marie wore this time. I think the primary purpose of wearing the fur is to provide warmth against harsh winter and if it isn't worn correctly, well then that defeats the purpose. I liked the jacket Marie wore, I think that provided better coverage than the fur stole worn by Mary.

As for the comparison with Margrethe, there is a bit of difference. I don't think this has anything to do with old or new generation. Covering yourself up against cold is always of paramount importance, whether it be the older generation, the present, or the coming one. Margrethe is wearing a bigger stole than Mary's, also she is covered at least till her elbows, as she's wearing 3/4 sleeves.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

I like the orange gown and how the material sort of gathers to one side. The brown fur stole compliments the orange beautifully. I don't think she has a choice about wearing the gold Order. She should've used a gold clutch instead of a silver one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
When looking through the years, this is my least favourite outfit of Mary. In previous years, she opted for simple but very regal (almost matronly) elegance, very suitable for this gala. This year, everything is over the top, almost flashy, too much of everything, a mismatch in style and colours.

Sorry to say this but compared to the years before this appearance was Hollywood starlet going royal, too loud and extrovert.

http://www.seegerpress-online.de/top...ER00215770.jpg
http://www.seegerpress-online.de/top...R_00194851.jpg
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Jan2007/07010115.jpg
http://www.seegerpress-online.de/top...ER00153188.jpg

(2005 cancelled out of respect for Tsunami victims)
Out of these past gowns I only like the top gray one. In the bottom one (blue) the overall look is a bit too matronly for me. She's too young to look that way imo.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:31 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
... and maybe Margrethe's oddities are starting to rubb off on Mary
http://picture.belga.be/belgapicture...v/17698905.jpg
Or maybe this is just the way you invariably adjust your fur stole (unfortunately I have never had to adjust a fur stole myself)
Old 01-02-2010, 08:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

http://picture.belga.be/belgapicture...v/17698905.jpg

Love the picture... She and Fred look like they're having so much fun together.
As for the dress, she doesn't pull off orange like Maxima does but she looks good. Happy, healthy Mary.

Are there any other tiara's Mary can wear other than this one and her wedding tiara?
Old 01-02-2010, 09:01 PM
Courtier

CP Mary is not as thin as Princess Letizia! Now that is thin...but they also happen to be 2 healthy women!
And no, CP Mary has no other tiara to wear - just the ruby and diamond tiara and her wedding tiara. She did borrow a tiara, earrings and brooch set for the gala dinner to celebrate Prince Henrik's 75th birthday in June 2009. It was called the 'Midnight' tiara but it was only on loan for the night.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:59 PM
Royal Highness

Princess Mary has evolved in her style over the years. To me she was matronly at first and little by little Mary has found her way to a style that suits her as a royal. She has put her coloring, makeup, the gown, jewels and purse together very carefully to enhance the total effect. I believe Princess Mary could have had another tiara on loan from the vault, but she seems to feel comfortable with this ruby tiara. Maybe it just feels right on her head. Her hair style goes with the tiara. The orange gown and ruby necklace in my opinion compliment each other and do not clash. The purse in silver was just the right contrast to her gown. To me Princess Mary has really come into her own in style this last year. Maybe she is starting to feel comfortable in her life and role.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:39 AM
Aristocracy

At first I cringed when I saw the dress. But now I actually don't mind it. I think what detracts from the dress is the ruby parure set and the brown fur stole. I think the color of last year's stole in this year's style would have been better and I think diamond-only jewelry would have enhanced the whole ensemble. It seemed like there were too many colors competing with the orange rather than complementing or accentuating it. She should be given greater access to other tiaras.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:51 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by laduchesse View Post
At first I cringed when I saw the dress. But now I actually don't mind it. I think what detracts from the dress is the ruby parure set and the brown fur stole. I think the color of last year's stole in this year's style would have been better and I think diamond-only jewelry would have enhanced the whole ensemble. It seemed like there were too many colors competing with the orange rather than complementing or accentuating it. She should be given greater access to other tiaras.

Mary looks lovely in that gown and she can pull off the color orange although as noted, not like Maxima. To me, the ruby tiara and jewelry clashed with the orange of the dress and I agree that diamond-only jewelry and tiara would have looked much better. It appears that this is a grand occasion so I can understand the ruby tiara and jewels.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

Maybe not the best color for her but the gown itself is beautiful. I like the taffeta around her waist. It gives it a nice variation. And I love how the back of her hair looks in this pic. http://picture.belga.be/belgapicture...v/17700499.jpg
Old 01-03-2010, 07:51 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri Terri View Post
I was surprised at the choice of color, Mary didn't wear orange too often. Nice to see a new dress, but: I would like to change the lower part of the dress (taffeta looks like it was pinned to her dress at the last moment), it looks a little underdeveloped. Anyway, I like the fur and the clutch bag. Orange looks fantastic with the rubies. The hairstyle is ok. I would like to see the necklace from the set, but I understand that it could be 'too much". So far this is the most eye-catching outfit from New Years Galas.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:22 AM
Nobility

It's nice to see a new dress. The dress itself is beautiful, but not the best color on Mary.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by laduchesse View Post
... She should be given greater access to other tiaras.
I agree. The Rubies Tiara is nice but it limits what she can wear with it.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

In general it's better not to use shiney taffetta when dealing with such a bright color, but overall the gown looks nice. Very princessy. And Frederik is handsome in his uniform.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

I concur she should be given a new tiara that goes with everything. I think she's earned it.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:52 AM
Royal Highness

Is it just me or does it looke like Mary and Marie swapped furs from what they wore in 2009? Is there a communial fur vault in the palace?

I think Mary might also be limited by the Ruby Parure (ie, it's necessary to wear it on certain occassions, like when orders are worn, etc.). It certainly is unconventional to wear them with an orange gown, but red and orange are next to each other on the color wheel so...........

I think Orange is a tough color to wear - very few people look good in it, in any shade. While it's not bad on her, it's not her best color either, but she did her best to look great in it.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:05 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

All posts from the Jan 5, 2010 event
New Years reception for the Corps Diplomatique at Amalienborg in Copenhagen
have been moved to the
Princess Mary's Daytime Fashion thread
since it was a morning event.

Thanks
Old 01-06-2010, 05:08 AM