Crown Princess Mary's Eveningwear Part 3: January 2009 - May 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the same for me her pre-wedding gala looking is the one i most love! if she would have a new tiara made who would pay for that? her husband? or the goverment money? just curious!......i wonder why des she use alwasy the same 2, why she doesn't sahre the otherones like maxima does?

I like the wedding tiara much more than the ruby one, as evening dress, make up, jewels put together, it is already so heavy to her, ,make her shorter and older. She is not old! The wedding tiara make the overral appearance a fresh look!

the same for me her pre-wedding gala looking is the one i most love! if she would have a new tiara made who would pay for that? her husband? or the goverment money? just curious!......i wonder why des she use alwasy the same 2, why she doesn't sahre the otherones like maxima does?

The government would not get her a new tiara. The DRF would pay for it themselves. But when you look at all the times she has worn a tiara, she really has no need for one. She will get a few more when she is Queen. Marie doesn't even have a tiara!

The Dutch royal family has many, many, many more tiara's and jewels than the danes do. They are also much, much wealthier. Althought the Danes are not in any way poor either! Also, imo, the danes are much more laid back in terms of formal occassions than the dutch. I also don't think that the danes have a family foundation for jewels like the dutch and swedes do to maintain jewels. Perhaps someone with more knowledge in that area can answer.

Also, I am not sure on the history, but I am guessing the danes lost a lot of jewels for wedding like they did to Alex, and the dutch gained more. But this is just a guess on my part.

My favorite evening dress with her in her wedding tiara is Henrik's birthday when she wore the 3 strand pearl and bead necklace and a long black dress. I also like her engagement dinner in the icy blue dress with the black ribbon on the train and the ruby tiara.

There will be lots of opportunities to get inspiration for a new tiara for Mary - if Frederik should be contemplating a serious birthday gift, say for her 40th :) From March 3 till August this year, there will be an exhibition at the Amalienborg museum on tiaras (Rosenborg Slot - De Danske Kongers Kronologiske Samlinger), focusing on new design but also with pieces made available by the royal family. The exhibition should show how the tiara is interpreted as a contemporary piece of jewellery and also show some of the workmanship behind tiaras.

Fashionista100, the Danish royal family does have a family foundation. There are the crown jewels - for the queen's sole use - kept at Rosenborg, a family foundation which I think is also reserved for the queen - and then privately owned jewellery.
I still think it was a pity that countess Alexandra's tiara was allowed to follow her once she left the family. I suppose it is enevitable that pieces should leave the family, but still..... I would also have loved to see the Khedive tiara (the "wedding tiara") still in the royal collection - instead it went to queen Anne Marie from her mother.

Thanks UserDane, I knew about the royal jewels, but I didn't realize they also have a foundation. I wasn't sure.

thank you UserDane and Fashionisa100 for your explanation , it is a version in english for your link "tiaras"?
so the foundation takes care of having the pices clean, repair, etc,etc...? so evrytime they want to use them they have to drive to the vaults to get them? it must be amzing to see that vault!

thank you UserDane and Fashionisa100 for your explanation , it is a version in english for your link "tiaras"?
so the foundation takes care of having the pices clean, repair, etc,etc...? so evrytime they want to use them they have to drive to the vaults to get them? it must be amzing to see that vault!

No sorry Ashelen, the link is in Danish but is shows an example of a modern tiara.

If you come to Copenhagen, you should definitely visit the Rosenborg Castle and see all the fantastic jewellery (and the silver lions in the knights' hall :)). I don't know who exactly takes care of the jewellery and repair them. Bjarne at the Royal Jewels of the World board will know that - he's an expert:)

It was Queen Margrethes' paternal grandmother, Queen Alexandrine who had the jewels transferred from Amalienborg to Rosenborg - which made them available to the public. Alexandrine was said to be not very interested in jewellery and preferred to let Rosenborg take over the management of them apparently.

I still think it was a pity that countess Alexandra's tiara was allowed to follow her once she left the family. I suppose it is enevitable that pieces should leave the family, but still..... I would also have loved to see the Khedive tiara (the "wedding tiara") still in the royal collection - instead it went to queen Anne Marie from her mother.

wasn't alexandra's tiara supposed to come back to the family once she is deceased? i thought that was what i read. in any case, i think it was a nice recognition from the queen of the spotless work of alexandra when she was a princess of denmark.

i agree ashelen, the vault must be a great sight!

Also, imo, the danes are much more laid back in terms of formal occassions than the dutch..
I absolutly disagre about that, is it something queen MArgrethe is not laid back about it is gala occasions and IMO it is a good thing, I hate how you never know if a dutch gala dinner with be men in white tie or just business suit, you never have to wonder about that in the scandinavian countires. When Queen B has a birthday it is celebrated with a concert in business suit and short dresses/pants for the women, when Queen Margrethe will have a round birthday I guess the -queestion is if it going to 2 or 3 white tie dinners. :whistling:

Good point Larzen, Queen Margrethe always seems to do up the whole Queen look whenever she needs to which I love. Where as Queen Beatrix seems much more casual about dressing. Also I think the Prince can buy PMary a tiara. She sports very expensive clothes, shoes and bags, he could save up and buy her one!!!!!!!hehe

So, here is a little collection of Mary's State Dinner/Tiara looks: :flowers:

Mary's Tiara Looks
Royals, DRW, Viewimages

Please let me know if I forget any Tiara event. ;)
Thank you her majesty,you have done a great job :flowers:
CP Mary is absolutly stunning.She always looks so perfect.
In my opinion,the only princess/queen of her generation who could compete with her is queen Rania.
Although she has only two tiaras,I am suprised that her look never appears boring.
Both tiaras look nice but her rubies one is absolutly stunning,one of the nicest tiaras in the world in my opinion.
I also think that she deserves another tiara after all she is the crown princess of Danemark.
I agree with al bina,her dresses are always well tailored
I have preference for her red,burgundy and both blue dresses.
These colors bring a nice contrast with her porcelain complexion
If I have to chose one it will be the red one although I never wear red:lol:

Thank you her majesty,you have done a great job :flowers:
CP Mary is absolutly stunning.She always looks so perfect.
In my opinion,the only princess/queen of her generation who could compete with her is queen Rania.
Although she has only two tiaras,I am suprised that her look never appears boring.
Both tiaras look nice but her rubies one is absolutly stunning,one of the nicest tiaras in the world in my opinion.
I also think that she deserves another tiara after all she is the crown princess of Danemark.
I agree with al bina,her dresses are always well tailored
I have preference for her red,burgundy and both blue dresses.
These colors bring a nice contrast with her porcelain complexion
If I have to chose one it will be the red one although I never wear red:lol:

I agree with you soraya in everything you said, especially in the competition thing, both have great style on fashion, but so far I have wide preference for Mary :flowers: than for Rania, as the first one never had a plastic surergy done, while the second had done (at least one, nose job).

My prefered tiara is the one she's wearing with the red gown, with chignon up, very classy, and i am always so empressed by Mary's bearing.

No sorry Ashelen, the link is in Danish but is shows an example of a modern tiara.

If you come to Copenhagen, you should definitely visit the Rosenborg Castle and see all the fantastic jewellery (and the silver lions in the knights' hall :)). I don't know who exactly takes care of the jewellery and repair them. Bjarne at the Royal Jewels of the World board will know that - he's an expert:)

It was Queen Margrethes' paternal grandmother, Queen Alexandrine who had the jewels transferred from Amalienborg to Rosenborg - which made them available to the public. Alexandrine was said to be not very interested in jewellery and preferred to let Rosenborg take over the management of them apparently.
thank you for the explanation i had been in denmark several times but i miss that one, in my next trip, i promised my little daughter to take her there where my father born in svendborg. i really would love to see actually how they mantein the jewellery, i just mayself put a ring in one of this ultrasonic cleaner and one of the little diamonds come off, it was a present from my aunt before she died, she lost amny yearrs ago one of the clow that hold a pink stone, i am not sure if it is topaz and now i am thinking to repair but it is s18 k and here they use 14k so i don't know what to do. probably if i was mary i would not have a problem to have the ring repair!

Anyone out there has a nice photo of the red engagment dress from the back or side where i can sse the detail of the train?

She looked gorgeous in this beautiful gown!!But I have to say that she had put on too many jewels...The dress is impressive in itself,it doesn't require so much in order to shine.

Those photos of the red engagement gown are far and away my favourites still. The jewels the shoes her hair every last detail was perfect. I love the way the gown draped .... thanks for posting those best ones again.

I actually liked the silver gown worn the night before at the pre-wedding banquet much better.
The red dress seems to be a two piece, and I never thought the top of the outfit was 'anchored' well for Mary's body shape - just didn't fit quite right. And although I disagree about her wearing 'too much jewelry', all in all it was just a bit too much RED.
Everything about the silver dress and her overall look that night was sheer perfection though, IMHO.

Those photos of the red engagement gown are far and away my favourites still. The jewels the shoes her hair every last detail was perfect. I love the way the gown draped .... thanks for posting those best ones again.

I totally agree with you!:flowers:

This is my favorite Mary gala look ever. She looks amazing in this dress. I love that shade or red, and the train is very dramatic.

one question? she start to use tiaras actually before the wedding, i was surpprise about when she was pronunce princess?, sorry for my ignorance1

one question? she start to use tiaras actually before the wedding, i was surpprise about when she was pronunce princess?, sorry for my ignorance1
Mary started to wear a Tiara for her 2 pre-wedding events (the gala and the concert). She recieved the title "Crown Princess of Denmark" on her wedding day.

Mary started to wear a Tiara for her 2 pre-wedding events (the gala and the concert). She recieved the title "Crown Princess of Denmark" on her wedding day.

if i recall correctly maxima started wearing a tiara even earlier and not only days before her wedding. letizia had to wait until her wedding day, she attended m&f wedding without and her own pre-wedding event was black tie only and not white tie.

if i recall correctly maxima started wearing a tiara even earlier and not only days before her wedding. letizia had to wait until her wedding day, she attended m&f wedding without and her own pre-wedding event was black tie only and not white tie.
Máxima wore the Pavlovnik pearl tiara without the pearls at the Wedding of Haakon and ette-Marit and the aquamarine tiara at the spanish State Visit to the Netherlands in the autumn of 2001 where she was even given an spanish order.
Contrar both Mary and Mette-Marit attended State Banquets before their Weddings but didn't wore tiaras. I don't think Letizia attended a State Banquet before her Wedding.

Last edited:
wasn't alexandra's tiara supposed to come back to the family once she is deceased? i thought that was what i read!
I don't know whether it has ever been established as a fact or just guessed. Most guesses I have seen is that the tiara will have to stay in the family line and that probably we will see a wife of prince Nikolai wearing it.
Still wish it had reverted back to the 'main' royal family though. It would be fine if they built up a collection of jewellery, tiaras, which the royal women other than the queen could share - just as it seems to be the case in Holland. Wonder if it would be possible to dispense with the rule that the tiaras in the family foundation, for example, is only for the queen's use.
Perhaps we should cross our fingers and hope that Mr. Mærsk McKinney-Møller feels like donating a tiara to the DRF;)

Máxima wore the Pavlovnik pearl tiara without the pearls at the Wedding of Haakon and ette-Marit and the aquamarine tiara at the spanish State Visit to the Netherlands in the autumn of 2001 where she was even given an spanish order.
Contrar both Mary and Mette-Marit attended State Banquets before their Weddings but didn't wore tiaras. I don't think Letizia attended a State Banquet before her Wedding.

thanks stefan, i forgot about mette-marit! no, letizia did not attend a state banquet before her wedding. it would have been nice if she had been allowed to wear one at the m&f wedding that only took place 2 weeks before her own wedding. on the other hand, technically she wasn't a member of the family as yet so they were only following the rules. disappointing but consistent.

We are going slightly off topic talking about tiara's & other Crown Princess's. Can we please get back on topic & discuss Crown Princess Mary's Eveningwear.

Thank you:flowers:
Dazz

This is the greatest collection ever :flowers: My top 3:a).the pink/black dress,b).the brown dress(No7) and c).the black/white dress :rose:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom