The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 03:34 PM
Commoner

Prince Charles 60. birthday
royals.web-log.nl

Old 11-14-2008, 03:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Honestly, I don't like her dress but I love her hairstyle & make-up.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

I do agree with most of you guys, this was not Mary's best evening outfit. The top is lovely but not with that skirt and vice versa. The fabrics don't look like they match therefore the blacks don't match.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

Not her best look and I was hoping for something gorgeous. The whole thing as an outfit is witchy wonder if the photos don't do the thing justice. Amazing she should have agreed this was a good choice.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Why though? Because you and whoever else doesn't like it?...

It's Mary's taste and clearly she wanted to wear it. And wear it well she did, imo.

When we have a preference to wear something, we feel comfortable and happy to wear it, don't we? Surely it's the same for Mary.

Of course it's not to everyone's (certainly not everyone's..lol.) liking and that's entirely understandable....but then again I wonder how many "here" could succesfully wear what Mary wore...

I would have preferred her to have worn a singular cut dress, but she didn't. Though what she wore was, imo, delightfully elegant all the same.

The above aside...

Initially, I was actually hoping to see the evening dress she wore to the Sydney State Dinner of '05'.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 11-15-2008, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Gosh, look at Fred's suspenders His dark blue / black combo suit only adds to the horror of Mary's addams family outfit. One of the biggest occasions in international royalty and both of them get it wrong, big time!
"The most elegant tux is not black at all, but midnight blue," advises former GQ Senior Editor Steve Friedman in "The Gentleman's Guide to Life." "Midnight blue actually looks blacker than black at night. Black can take on a sickly green tint under harsh indoor lights."
Old 11-15-2008, 06:23 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
It's Mary's taste and clearly she wanted to wear it. And wear it well she did, imo.
I would have preferred her to have worn a singular cut dress, but she didn't. Though what she wore was, imo, delightfully elegant all the same.
You put it so well, Madame Royale. That's what I thought, too.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:23 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
Why though? Because you and whoever else doesn't like it?...

When we have a preference to wear something, we feel comfortable and happy to wear it, don't we? Surely it's the same for Mary.

Of course it's not to everyone's (certainly not everyone's..lol.) liking and that's entirely understandable....but then again I wonder how many "here" could succesfully wear what Mary wore...

The above aside...

Initially, I was actually hoping to see the evening dress she wore to the Sydney State Dinner of '05'.
This is so true and as I said in a previous post, we haven't actually seen the gown in all it's beauty, standing in a pose with the skirt down, (not hooked up against the inclement weather) It is impossible to make a comment about the gown without seeing it in all it's glory.
As Madame Royale states, how many of us would carry off such a gown with such confidence. I wouldn't, thats for sure.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Wow! Love the 30's - 40's updo, and would really love to have seen the outfit in all it glory. . . . . . but such is life!
Old 11-15-2008, 07:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Joining the love boat for the outfit here.
It's not 30s-40s though, but definitely an early 20s overall look - very much a 'Lulu' style, the femme fatale character from the Wedekind stage play and later the Louise Brooks silent movie.
It takes guts and sophistication to wear it for this occasion, and Mary certainly has both.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:27 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
very much a 'Lulu' style, the femme fatale character from the Wedekind stage play and later the Louise Brooks silent movie.
You are absolutly right.

Actually - when I first saw the outfit I didn't know whether to like it or not. But as I turn back to look at it again and again I have begun to like it more and more. With your remark above I have made my mind up. I simply adore the outfit - even with the belt which I didn't like the first time I saw it.

She really does look like a femme fatale caracter from the Louise Brooks silent movies. The outfit is extremly elegant and daring.....and she looks incredibly beautiful wearing it.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

CP Mary was even wise enough to leave out the one accessory which would have been completely in style with the rest of the outfit, but which would have turned it almost into a 'Lulu' costume: A looong single white row of pearls.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:10 AM
Courtier

I have just looked at the outfit again imagining her with a long single white row of pearls. Actually I think that could be ok with the outfit - but not in combination with the belt.

I do prefere the belt to a long string of pearls though.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:51 AM
Courtier

Horrible dress.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:07 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I liked her Hairstyle too...
Old 11-15-2008, 12:42 PM
Gentry

Wow! I simply adore this look! The combination of dress, hairdo and makeup makes her look stunning! Love the curls and the red lips! I think this is the most beautiful I've ever seen Mary (and I've been following her a looong time).

I'm so happy she didn't go for a classic gala dress. Often they are only variations on the same theme, quite predictable. This dress is so cool and edgy!
Old 11-15-2008, 01:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
Joining the love boat for the outfit here.
It's not 30s-40s though.
The ensemble, no. But her hair was definitly styled in a predominately 1940's vogue...

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 11-17-2008, 05:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Well said Empress. When times are tough we all get a vicarious thrill seeing the Royals dressed to knock your socks off! It makes us feel proud and it doesn't bust the bank account.

The only "Economy" I would recommend in these straitened times is a moratorium on the purchase of new jewelry and a concious effort to recycle the "heavy artillary" of historical jewelry.

There is no sense of conspicuous consumption when wearing "history" but there is a great sense of stability and national pride in seeing the royals hold the line.

On a personal note. I don't see the point in whining about new clothes etc. What are our expectations in the real world? Do we want all the female members of the various royal houses stomping around in sackcloth and ashes? Swop Doc Martins for the stillettoes? Now wouldn't we all feel just peachy looking at that. Not to mention the horrendous hit the entire fashion industry would take. And, oh? Did I mention that it is just us plain old working stiffs who make the shoes and sew the dresses.

Unemployment anyone?

I have to laugh about the new clothes. Didn't we have a 6 pages "discussion" on Isabella's shoes having a hole in them. And "how dare she" put her child in that." Damned if you do, Damned if you don't. She recycles very, very often. She also gets gifts and loans. She has a budget and sticks to it.

Honestly, I usually like 98% of the things Mary wears. She has the best style. No one can do it 100% of the time. No one. I love the outfit for Charles' Birthday from the waist up. Fantastic. The waist down? NO thanks.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

I really liked this. A little more colour would have been great, but this is an amaxing look.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:17 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionista100 View Post
I have to laugh about the new clothes. Didn't we have a 6 pages "discussion" on Isabella's shoes having a hole in them. And "how dare she" put her child in that." Damned if you do, Damned if you don't. She recycles very, very often. She also gets gifts and loans. She has a budget and sticks to it.

Honestly, I usually like 98% of the things Mary wears. She has the best style. No one can do it 100% of the time. No one. I love the outfit for Charles' Birthday from the waist up. Fantastic. The waist down? NO thanks.
I agree with every word you say!, what makes me crack up is how some people won't let anyone say something they don't beleive in, and will try to have the last word!