The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 06:45 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by biboquinhas View Post
She could economize, recycle and buy less...
Why? She recycles her wardrobe quite proficiently I think which is good - but why would a new dress trigger calls for her to economize???

Old 10-22-2008, 07:20 AM
Heir Apparent

I think evening wear she doesn't recycle mucht and besides she has lots of beautiful dress she could recycle to this event, IMO there was no need to buy a new one!
It just came to my mind a few ones that Mary could have recycle for this event:

-The PRADA one that she wore in luxembourg in 2006
- The silver dress she wore at the Vilhelm Hammershoi exhibition in the Royal Academy of Arts of Londo
- The rikkemai stars dress
- The gold dress from the Cultural Prize

Old 10-22-2008, 08:33 AM
Moderator Emeritus

More pictures of th silver/black ouutfit
royals.web-log.nl: Royale activiteiten

I really like this dress. I love the cut of the lower part.
I don't quite like Mary's hairdo... don't know why.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:22 AM
Gentry

"She could economize, recycle and buy less... "
Why would she? She can afford it!
Old 10-22-2008, 09:46 AM
Nobility

Yes, she can, but many, many people nowadays can't. There is an economic crisis going on and it would look good on her if she dressed down a bit. (But she looks good these days).
Old 10-22-2008, 10:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneeuwklokje View Post
Yes, she can, but many, many people nowadays can't. There is an economic crisis going on and it would look good on her if she dressed down a bit. (But she looks good these days).

Sneeuwklokje tottaly agree with you, 100% thought-transference.
Your message express very well the way I'am felling now towards Mary's new clothes! That's exactlly my thoughts. Even more after her trip to Uganda, she told us that the trip changed her way towards life...I cannot see how...
Old 10-22-2008, 10:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Erm, unless I am sorely mistaken, she recycles her clothes quite often. In fact, I am fairly certain there is a thread just for that subject. I'll have to go find it.

So before we start tearing her to shreds for wearing a new dress, let's bear in mind that A) we all buy new clothes periodically, B) It's not like we know it's new. She might have worn it before and we just haven't seen it. I am fairly certain we haven't seen the entire contents of her closet, and C) we have absolutely no idea when these clothes were bought. I still have things in my closet that I bought 6 months ago that I have not worn yet.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:51 AM
Royal Highness

Biboquinhas, if you are going to make a big deal out of all royal ladies who happen to wear a new dress at an engagement in the coming months, you have your work cut out for you It doesn't make sense to me though.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:06 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress View Post
Erm, unless I am sorely mistaken, she recycles her clothes quite often. In fact, I am fairly certain there is a thread just for that subject. I'll have to go find it.
Well said Empress. When times are tough we all get a vicarious thrill seeing the Royals dressed to knock your socks off! It makes us feel proud and it doesn't bust the bank account.

The only "Economy" I would recommend in these straitened times is a moratorium on the purchase of new jewelry and a concious effort to recycle the "heavy artillary" of historical jewelry.

There is no sense of conspicuous consumption when wearing "history" but there is a great sense of stability and national pride in seeing the royals hold the line.

On a personal note. I don't see the point in whining about new clothes etc. What are our expectations in the real world? Do we want all the female members of the various royal houses stomping around in sackcloth and ashes? Swop Doc Martins for the stillettoes? Now wouldn't we all feel just peachy looking at that. Not to mention the horrendous hit the entire fashion industry would take. And, oh? Did I mention that it is just us plain old working stiffs who make the shoes and sew the dresses.

Unemployment anyone?
Old 10-22-2008, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Again as previously pointed out...we don't know if this is a new dress or not but think of it in these terms 1) due to Mary's job duties...if it is a new dress than she will most likely wear it again 2) yes the economy is in really bad shape...but one of the reasons that it is in bad shape is because those who have money aren't spending it. She bought a dress, this in turns pays the designers and the sewers who in turn puchase items to make the dress and might use their money on food...it goes on and on and FINALLY as Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother said, when criticized for wearing her best finery when visting those bombed in World War II, and I am paraphrasing "Why shouldn't she wear her best clothes they (the victims) would wear their best if they were visting me. That's a wicked job of paraphrasing but hopefully you get the point. Did you see the Danish Olympians...they were all dressed in their best.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:13 PM
Heir Apparent

I was a bit disappointed in this outfit. The top is nice, but I really don't care for the pleated skirt. Pleats are nearly impossible to wear, and this skirt is too wide-looking. Maybe it would look better if the skirt wasn't so pleated. The a-line shape is nice, but it needs to be smoother.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:12 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by biboquinhas View Post
The dress is new, she could have wore something recycle, besides she has wonderful dresses...She could economize, recycle and buy less... That was my opinion and the first one that comes to my mind when I saw the dress sorry...
I've posted this in the forum of DRF (DRFs current activities)

I've searched through all outfit in 2008:
For 106 engagements (official and private outings) she has worn 44 new/never before seen outfits (I've counted them as new when most of the parts were new (shoes are not counted)) and 62 recycled outfits (partially from the last years, partially from earlier in 2008, that means than outfits are counted twice or more)

If anyone is interested I can do a similar evaluation for one of the other crownprincesses, too
Old 10-22-2008, 05:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Jinigirl, thank you for posting this. The math really speaks for itself!
Old 10-22-2008, 10:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yes it does! Remember how long it took from Christian's christening until New Year this year to wear the blue suit skirt?! We have no way of knowing when she acquires anything.

I really like the dress, I haven't seen her in that style skirt recently, and the light cardi was really elegant.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:59 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

royals.web-log.nl: Glamourprinsessen > Prinses Mary lovely pcitures of a dress Mary wore to a wedding back in september 2004 - would like to see her use this one again

Old 10-31-2008, 01:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
royals.web-log.nl: Glamourprinsessen > Prinses Mary lovely pcitures of a dress Mary wore to a wedding back in september 2004 - would like to see her use this one again
Very beautiful dress! It looks like it is heavy due to the beading, but it is so pretty. She should recycle this dress (but definitely NOT that hairstyle, IMO).
Old 10-31-2008, 02:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

i love the dreaa but i most like her skin, she looks great 1
Old 10-31-2008, 03:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

I thought that it was a nice enough design, colour etc, but I remember thinking at the time that it made her look older than she is.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:35 PM
Courtier

I don't think the financial crisis should have anything to do with it. If others could not manage their money correctly, why should Mary be penalized?
Old 11-01-2008, 09:01 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgl View Post
Very beautiful dress! It looks like it is heavy due to the beading, but it is so pretty. She should recycle this dress (but definitely NOT that hairstyle, IMO).
Definitely, absolutely NOT! It made her look older, in fact it made the whole outfit look older. Now a really nice updo would have slayed them in the aisles.