Crown Princess Mary's Daytime Fashion Part 22: January 2014 - August 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like both outfits. They're appropriate for the events, and the weather.

It must be very cold in Greenland at the moment, since both Mary, Frederik and Christian are wearing very thick outfits. It would be interesting to know what the general temperature for summer is there. I love Mary's second outfit, she looks elegant and weather appropriate. I like how she is wearing two shades of green (or at least I think her polo top is green).

Mary's outfits in Greenland have been great so far. From what I can see, today's outfit is elegant and weather appropriate, as usual. I love the shawl.

She has looked really appropiate during this tour of Greenland IMO nothing outstanding but relaxed and comfortable, have loved the cape and pancho [only one of each I think] all in all well chosen

I just want to observe being puzzled by all the 'appropriate' comments, as though Mary is dangerously close to being inappropriate in her dress. :ermm: Puzzling.

Its my bias that what anyone at that public level decides to wear - bar exposing a boob or some unfortunate nether region in a moment of insanity - would be 'appropriate'. Why wouldn't it be?

I can have an opinion about the style, the color, the ensemble - but appropriate? Isn't the person we are watching the one better to decide appropriateness? It's an honest question.

Being 'appropriate' is the equivalent of damning with faint praise imo. There is only one other current female royal that I know of that one breaths a sigh of relief when her dress is 'appropriate'. :ermm: We all know what we mean when we say it in regards that royal. Mary is very far from being in that league imo. She's just too mature and classy overall. God love her if she wears a tacky scarf with a ball gown. I may not agree but I would never claim it is 'inappropriate'. My two cents. :flowers:

P.S. It's possible that we've been so traumatized by other royal displays (that really were not just pushing boundaries but crossing them) that we feel such an accolade needs to be delivered when deserved - as a sort of thank you. ;)

Last edited:
I just want to observe being puzzled by all the 'appropriate' comments, as though Mary is dangerously close to being inappropriate in her dress. :ermm: Puzzling.

Its my bias that what anyone at that public level decides to wear - bar exposing a boob or some unfortunate nether region in a moment of insanity - would be 'appropriate'. Why wouldn't it be?

I can have an opinion about the style, the color, the ensemble - but appropriate? Isn't the person we are watching the one better to decide appropriateness? It's an honest question.

Being 'appropriate' is the equivalent of damning with faint praise imo. There is only one other current female royal that I know of that one breaths a sigh of relief when her dress is 'appropriate'. :ermm: We all know what we mean when we say it in regards that royal. Mary is very far from being in that league imo. She's just too mature and classy overall. God love her if she wears a tacky scarf with a ball gown. I may not agree but I would never claim it is 'inappropriate'. My two cents. :flowers:

P.S. It's possible that we've been so traumatized by other royal displays (that really were not just pushing boundaries but crossing them) that we feel such an accolade needs to be delivered when deserved - as a sort of thank you. ;)

I think you're right. There are a few royal ladies who have dressed so totally un-befitting the occasion that perhaps we comment using that term too much. I also agree with your comment on Mary being mature and classy in regards to dress.

I take the appropriate comments to mean dressed for the weather and outdoor activity and not trying to be too fashionable and dressed up. I liked the fur vest she wore but thought the the brown pants were way too tight. The brown cape didn't seem too easy to deal with, having to shake hands and hold children it didn't seem too practical to me. Loved the hairdo with the national costume.

My "weather appropriate" comments were just general ones that weren't meant to be taken too seriously or to be read into too much. When Isabella and Christian went to a sailing event in Esrum a couple of months ago, some complained about their outfits being weather inappropriate, and I also thought that Mary's outfit she wore during her visit to Legoland was a little odd for summer (it was the colour), so I guess that's where 'all the appropriate' comments of mine are coming from.

I don't think that Mary's outfits are 'dangerously close' to being inappropriate. I actually think she is elegant and sophisticated, and I've only disliked her fashion choices on the odd occasion. I don't quite understand your question. I wasn't comparing Mary with Sofia Hellqvist (I assume that's who you were talking about). I also didn't claim that her outfits have been inappropriate. Honestly, my comments meant no harm.

I apologise for the negative tone to my post – I wasn't trying to make it seem that way. :flowers: It's just that I was quite taken aback by your comments.

Last edited:
I apologise for the negative tone to my post – I wasn't trying to make it seem that way. :flowers: It's just that I was quite taken aback by your comments.

Dear HereditaryPrincess - Please don't apologize. There is nothing to apologize for. I think I am the one who should apologize. I must have been crabby yesterday. (In fact, as I look over my posts from yesterday I think I see a little PMS peeking through maybe?) I was seeing the word 'appropriate' in near (what felt like) every post and decided to say what I did, which now when I think about it was a tad too far-ranging. I wrote it not in response to you at all. :ermm:

Please forgive me for giving concern. Truly. I love your posts. When it comes to that, I have used the word 'appropriate' myself (many times I think). It's such a serviceable word. Love you! :flowers:

I love you too, HereditaryPrincess! We agree on so many things, so do not change the way you post your opinions!! "Appropriate" is such an appropriate word to use... :) lol

Aw, thanks Lady Nimue and udyusa (I'm not going to change the way I post, so don't worry!). :flowers: I get a little carried away with the word "appropriate" too sometimes, so I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one!

mary has looked well put together and practical, but at the same time elegant and lovely in greenland, with the above outfit as my favourite...just love those ponchos..that also isabella&josephine has been wearing alot on this trip..

Last edited:
Not the most flattering things to wear, but the ponchos certainly do the trick when it comes to leaving your arms free and keeping warm at the same time! Mary always manages to look elegant in just about anything she wears. :) Her daughters look adorable in them... She's out-done herself in this trip to Greenland!

Like the second outfit a recycle but dare I say appropiate ... not too out there it looks freezing do they have summer ??? Love the scarf.

Like the second outfit a recycle but dare I say appropiate ... not too out there it looks freezing do they have summer ??? Love the scarf.

Oh yes, sometimes up to 30 degrees C, but mostly a summersday means a temperature between 10-20 degrees C.

I really like the second outfit. It's elegant, and simple.

My-oh-my but Frederic is looking smart in that uniform! :flowers: :D
ump, ump, ump you just can't beat a man in uniform and this one is Mary's best and brightest accessory!

Oh yes, sometimes up to 30 degrees C, but mostly a summersday means a temperature between 10-20 degrees C.
Brrr, it makes me cold just thinking about it because here we are in Winter and our temperatures are often between 10 - 20 degrees. Mind you, it has been a relatively warm and dry winter.

But back to Frederik and Mary. I think that Mary's national dress outing have been really good. She really seems to throw herself fully into whatever it is they're doing.

Today, Mary hold the event "Invest in women and girls - it brings progress for all" at Christiansborg Palace wearing a tweed skirt, a white shirt and a long necklace. I'm a sucker for these IMO chic elegant, but professional outfits. I would wear such outfits every day if I wasn't a nurse :D

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd....435_282334021954021_1517355962094089336_n.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-zUXlc6TFR...0/Capture+d’écran+2014-08-18+à+15.45.18.png
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-FgVGQfh45...0/Capture+d’écran+2014-08-18+à+15.45.52.png
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-TDoWr0kKD...0/Capture+d’écran+2014-08-18+à+15.47.19.png

Last edited:
Today, Mary hold the event "Invest in women and girls - it brings progress for all" at Christiansborg Palace wearing a tweed skirt, a white shirt and a long necklace. I'm a sucker for these IMO chic elegant, but professional outfits. I would wear such outfits every day if I wasn't a nurse :D

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd....435_282334021954021_1517355962094089336_n.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-zUXlc6TFR...0/Capture+d’écran+2014-08-18+à+15.45.18.png
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-FgVGQfh45...0/Capture+d’écran+2014-08-18+à+15.45.52.png
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-TDoWr0kKD...0/Capture+d’écran+2014-08-18+à+15.47.19.png

i also really liked this, simple and elegant. it looks like mary is making the most of the last days of summer to wear bright clothes! i don't think we have seen that skirt before...

Love it. Long summer. Looking forward to some great fashion like this!!!

I love, love this on Mary! Also I'm loving her shoes and bag! She looks just wonderful..

Love it, the check skirt is perfect, so is the plain white top. I can't really see the necklace, which one is it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom