Crown Princess Mary's Daytime Fashion Part 2: June 2007 - March 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I have notice that she is wearing a mucht more informal type of clothes, maybe because she is slowly back on dutty, or maybe because the events didn't care for a more formal way of dressing. Tomorow I think we will see Mary with a formal skirt and a beautiful matching blazer!

i miss her in hats too! it seems like forever since she wore one (baseball caps aside) i love hats but its an interesting question- would i like to wear them if i HAD too.....ummmm i think i would but then again in a "have to" situation i might resent it if i was having a "good hair day"
just a word on her pants at the golf event- trendy smendy if pants cut your legs in half, make the calf of the leg look huge and broaden your backside no matter how tall, thin or perfect your body these pants need to go back in the closet- way back. they just don't compliment a womans body, i sometimes wonder if designers ( alot i suspect don't like women) think lets see if they'll wear this ugly get up that makes them look hidious if we tell them its a new trend. (not that mary looks bad, but this look does kinda make her body look "chunky"- which we know is NOT)
does anybody remember gauchos? they were popular in the 70's? at least they flared to resemble a skirt and complimented the waist and legs.

i miss her in hats too! it seems like forever since she wore one (baseball caps aside) i love hats but its an interesting question- would i like to wear them if i HAD too.....ummmm i think i would but then again in a "have to" situation i might resent it if i was having a "good hair day".

Maybe she doesn't wear a hat, because of her "bob". "Half-long" or short hair and hat doesn't fit very well together...

just a word on her pants at the golf event- trendy smendy if pants cut your legs in half, make the calf of the leg look huge and broaden your backside no matter how tall, thin or perfect your body these pants need to go back in the closet- way back. they just don't compliment a womans body, i sometimes wonder if designers ( alot i suspect don't like women) think lets see if they'll wear this ugly get up that makes them look hidious if we tell them its a new trend. (not that mary looks bad, but this look does kinda make her body look "chunky"- which we know is NOT)
does anybody remember gauchos? they were popular in the 70's? at least they flared to resemble a skirt and complimented the waist and legs.

Thanks! So you think, it was a good idea to give the trousers away...

very good idea, i'm giving you fashionista points for it in fact;)
we'll see if mary recycles the pants. in my own case i've thought i looked great and been horrified to see in photos later:eek: it was not the case. one of my favorite pair of dressy pants- cream wool, comfortable etc imagine my surprise they make me look 4ft tall and 3ft wide. camera is not the same as a mirror.

If you wish to carry on a conversation, please use the private message system. As such, I just removed some off-topic posts. This thread belongs to Mary's daytime fashion.

Thanks,

Mandy
House of Fashion Moderator

That would be Caroline Heering, Mary's Hofdame (lady-in-waiting).

Last edited:
Has anyone else noticed that Mary doesn't seem dress as formally as she used to? For example - She used to wear a lot more hats - it seems rare that she does now.

Yes, I've noticed it too. It seems that now she just wears whatever she likes without regard to the role she plays. Out with the hats and in with the minidress with the big belt and this latest fashion-victim cropped pants outfit. And let's add some celebrity-type accessories like big sunglasses and an expensive watch to complete the look. She seems to be veering off the princess course, and I get the feeling it's a decision she's made, but who knows?

Yes, I've noticed it too. It seems that now she just wears whatever she likes without regard to the role she plays. Out with the hats and in with the minidress with the big belt and this latest fashion-victim cropped pants outfit. And let's add some celebrity-type accessories like big sunglasses and an expensive watch to complete the look. She seems to be veering off the princess course, and I get the feeling it's a decision she's made, but who knows?

Do you know of any princesses who do not have an expensive watch or a pair of sunglasses. After all, you can only buy what is available in the stores - can't your? If that is sunglasses of a certain size or pants of a certain lenght (and there has been lot of the latter in Danish shops this summer), isn't that what you buy then? Talking about fashion-victim and celebrity is nonsense IMO; and one minidress and a wide belt at a non-official visit is completely unimportant in this connection. Why don't you complain about the sneakers she has been seen wearing when walking in the park around Fredensborg? Very unprincessy too, methinks:lol:

You needn't worry about the 'princessy course' dressewise for Mary. She if any knows how to dress the part - as I am sure we'll be seeing today and next week.

Do you know of any princesses who do not have an expensive watch or a pair of sunglasses. After all, you can only buy what is available in the stores - can't you?

But if I recall correctly, weren't Frederik and Mary given a number of expensive watches as wedding presents, UserDane? :)

Last edited:
Do you know of any princesses who do not have an expensive watch or a pair of sunglasses. After all, you can only buy what is available in the stores - can't your? If that is sunglasses of a certain size or pants of a certain lenght (and there has been lot of the latter in Danish shops this summer), isn't that what you buy then? Talking about fashion-victim and celebrity is nonsense IMO; and one minidress and a wide belt at a non-official visit is completely unimportant in this connection. Why don't you complain about the sneakers she has been seen wearing when walking in the park around Fredensborg? Very unprincessy too, methinks:lol:

You needn't worry about the 'princessy course' dressewise for Mary. She if any knows how to dress the part - as I am sure we'll be seeing today and next week.

The sunglasses and watch are part of an overall look that says "celebrity" and not "princess." You can manipulate the princess image to your own taste, as all of the princesses have, really. But Mary crosses a line--whether that line is a matter of taste, or trying too hard (to be fashionable) or not caring, I don't know.

Since you mentioned the sneakers, I will also say that some members have commented that when she wears these things (like the minidress, for instance) she is not on "official" business, and therefore it's ok. But being a princess is not a 9-5 job. It's a formal lifestyle, full of standards and protocol, and part of the deal is never being seen in public in a sweatsuit or jogging clothes and sneakers. You can be casual, but you can't look like one of us setting out on a trip to the grocery store.

But Mary crosses a line

And isn't it marvellous that she can remain true to herself whilst maintaing an entirely respectable image! Being able to preserve an informal ambience amongst the rigour of royal life is something the Danish court does really, quite well. They are an historical and fundamental institution which is relevant to the society in which it presides and the modern day culture it quite clearly endorsers. Being who they are makes them no less human.

and part of the deal is never being seen in public in a sweatsuit or jogging clothes and sneakers.

That's a rather rediculous notion. So being a member of ruling royal family prohibits them from wearing clothes or footwear which are entirely respectable and commonplace amongst society in general. To say that Mary's position as Crown Princess proscribes her from wearing sneakers or tracksuits whether she be in the park with her children, visitng friends, or exercising is quite simply very foolish.

...but you can't look like one of us setting out on a trip to the grocery store.

You're particularly adamant in your observations yet I endeavour to say it isn't you who makes the rules.

And if she were, at some point in time, going to the grocery store, then why shouldn't she be able to wear causual clothing? Where could one locate 'this' rule that in order to be a royal, you aren't subject to wearing informal attire?

But being a princess is not a 9-5 job.

Then you may be somewhat tackenaback to learn that Mary most probably wears pyjamas aswell.

Last edited:
I wear sunglasses all the time. Maybe Mary's eyes are light sensitive. Mine are. I have to wear them all the time even when others don't.

And isn't it marvellous that she can remain true to herself whilst maintaing an entirely respectable image! Being able to preserve an informal ambience amongst the rigour of royal life is something the Danish court does really, quite well. They are an historical and fundamental institution which is relevant to the society in which it presides and the modern day culture it quite clearly endorsers.

That's a rather rediculous notion. So being a member of ruling royal family prohibits them from wearing clothes or footwear which are entirely respectable and commonplace amongst society in general. To say that Mary's position as Crown Princess proscribes her from wearing sneakers or tracksuits whether she be in the park with her children, visitng friends, or exercising is quite simply very foolish.

You're particularly adamant in your observations yet I endeavour to say it isn't you who makes the rules.

And if she were going to the grocery store, then why shouldn't she be able to wear causual clothing? Where could one locate 'this' rule that in order to be a royal, you aren't subject to wearing informal attire?

Then you may be somewhat tackenaback to learn that Mary most probably wears pyjamas aswell.

Sarcasm is never an effective way to make a point. Let me ask you this, if it is ok to look casual to the point of being pedestrian, then what does it mean to be royal? How do you define it? How do you define royal behavior? What is the definition of royal, other than simply being born into the royal family, living on public money, and pulling out the tiaras on occasion?

Who makes the rules? Are you saying there are no rules? I am not making the rules; they have existed for all time, up until about 5 years ago, when all the rules were replaced with a single new one--"anything goes." I think the royal families are not long for the world, and the fact that they live ordinary lives is the reason why. It's too bad.

Sarcasm is never an effective way to make a point. Let me ask you this, if it is ok to look casual to the point of being pedestrian, then what does it mean to be royal? How do you define it? How do you define royal behavior? What is the definition of royal, other than simply being born into the royal family, living on public money, and pulling out the tiaras on occasion?

Who makes the rules? Are you saying there are no rules? I am not making the rules; they have existed for all time, up until about 5 years ago, when all the rules were replaced with a single new one--"anything goes." I think the royal families are not long for the world, and the fact that they live ordinary lives is the reason why. It's too bad.
Are you familiar with the way the royal family in Denmark - and the royal families in the other Scandinavian countries - are perceived by their countrymen? I am pretty sure that an ideel royal in for example Denmark is not necessarily one who 'looks' royal all the time and it is my impression that the same is true in Sweden and Norway. This has nothing whatsover to do with 'anything goes' - because it doesn't. There is a time and a place for being formal but being capable of being informal is just as important (as demonstrated so well by the late king Frederik IX). Mary is very capable of walking the fine line between formality and informality - and if you can bear the sight of the British queen Elizabeth with a headscarf and sensible clothes watching a horse race, I find it difficult to understand why you have trouble accepting a younger royal in informal outfit. It has nothing to do with 'loss of royalty'.

...btw - just curious, what happened 5 years ago??

Do you know of any princesses who do not have an expensive watch or a pair of sunglasses. After all, you can only buy what is available in the stores - can't your?
True, but then then Chanel don't make 1 pair of sunglasses, they have many many different designs and many of them don't include massive CC's on the side.

It is perfectly possible to buy designer sunglasses (or any designer clothing for that matter) without having the name splashed across the side in massive letters.

Buying items that broadcast the brand is quite tacky and desperate, imo.

i agree to your point little star, when i was in banking the people in overalls and jeans had alot more money and respect than the people in armani- one was saving their money and had some- not having to prove anything. the other was trying to prove something by impressing an image and 9 times out of ten, overextended.
imho when mary is not "working" or "official" she should be able to wear anything she wants (within tasteful limits) it's her that has to live with the photos forever- if for no other reason i wouldn't be seen grunged out and not looking my best when out of the house. i seem to remember the queen food shopping on vacation and she looked flawless but cool and casual, mary has a perfect example to follow.

Are you familiar with the way the royal family in Denmark - and the royal families in the other Scandinavian countries - are perceived by their countrymen? I am pretty sure that an ideel royal in for example Denmark is not necessarily one who 'looks' royal all the time and it is my impression that the same is true in Sweden and Norway. This has nothing whatsover to do with 'anything goes' - because it doesn't. There is a time and a place for being formal but being capable of being informal is just as important (as demonstrated so well by the late king Frederik IX). Mary is very capable of walking the fine line between formality and informality - and if you can bear the sight of the British queen Elizabeth with a headscarf and sensible clothes watching a horse race, I find it difficult to understand why you have trouble accepting a younger royal in informal outfit. It has nothing to do with 'loss of royalty'.

...btw - just curious, what happened 5 years ago??

You make a good point. It's true, I am not Danish. My view of royalty is traditional and conservative. To me royal personages should be people who attempt to lead ideal lives and who are an example for others. Mary does not inspire my respect, but I am not looking at her from a Danish perspective.

Knock it off! I am fed with having to delete posts because of this constant back and forth bickering. Let me remind you that tacky is not a word in most royal vocabulary. So if you throw in a grenade, expect an explosion. However, even though someone drops a bomb, it does not give anyone the right to be offensive, intrusive or derogatory towards other members and royals alike.

The rules state: Insulting comments about other posters and royals are not permitted. Criticism is acceptable; insults and flames are not. We expect our members to treat each other with respect.

Mandy
Royal Forums Administrator

I wear sunglasses all the time. Maybe Mary's eyes are light sensitive. Mine are. I have to wear them all the time even when others don't.

Maybe the flashlights by all the photographers are a little bit awkward.
I wear sunglasses when the sun shines, when I am tired or when I forgot to put eye makeup on...
But I agree with some members of the Royal Forum: Crownprincess Mary wears very often sunglasses - also when it is an official event.

Is this the right forum to say something about the dress and the hat she has worn at the Airport "receiving" the Brazilian President?
I think the hat was okay, I don't like the dress (she has allready worn last year (with a different hat))...
I don't like the combination: a light-grey hat with a darkblue "bow", a wool-white coat and beige shoes.
It would be better with grey shoes or a beige hat (like the hat she has worn Oct. 2006 together with the dress...).

But I agree with some members of the Royal Forum: Crownprincess Mary wears very often sunglasses - also when it is an official event.
But there are different types of official events; when you are on a golf course or watching a horse events I can well understand why you wear sunglasses. I don't think Mary wears sunglasses on occasions where there are not others around not wearing them as well.
Besides, different people have different eye sensitivity. Queen Sonja of Norway has been criticised for wearing sunglasses too much - but why would she wear them if she didn't feel she needed them? Same probably goes for Mary.

True, but then then Chanel don't make 1 pair of sunglasses, they have many many different designs and many of them don't include massive CC's on the side.

It is perfectly possible to buy designer sunglasses (or any designer clothing for that matter) without having the name splashed across the side in massive letters.

Buying items that broadcast the brand is quite tacky and desperate, imo.

exactly my thoughts. i thought just the same when having a look at the pictures. it's simply so vulgar and new-rich to wear things that state clearly a brand's name. mary is a princess, not an ambular advertisement in a magazine. i think it is the second time she used sunglasses with big C'S on each side, the other time was at a similar golf event when pregnant with christian. i would expect to see that in some commoner coming on a holiday to another sunny place, but not on a princess. that's really not acceptable and i'm impressed no one ever told her not to do that after having done it already once. as little star says, i'm sure chanel makes other sunglasses with little logo's or even with no logos at all.

exactly my thoughts. i thought just the same when having a look at the pictures. it's simply so vulgar and new-rich to wear things that state clearly a brand's name. mary is a princess, not an ambular advertisement in a magazine. i think it is the second time she used sunglasses with big C'S on each side, the other time was at a similar golf event when pregnant with christian. i would expect to see that in some commoner coming on a holiday to another sunny place, but not on a princess. that's really not acceptable and i'm impressed no one ever told her not to do that after having done it already once. as little star says, i'm sure chanel makes other sunglasses with little logo's or even with no logos at all.
and then we haven't even been around the HARBOE that was clearly printed on her sweetshirt on the pics after the boat race in Copenhagen :eek: - my my it is going downwards. Bet she is the only royal in the whole wide world with a logo on her clothes or her accessories :ohmy: This will not do...

But there are different types of official events; when you are on a golf course or watching a horse events I can well understand why you wear sunglasses. I don't think Mary wears sunglasses on occasions where there are not others around not wearing them as well.
Besides, different people have different eye sensitivity.

I agree... Beeing on a golf course or watching a horse events "allows" to wear sunglasses... But she has worn some last year in Prague and that wasn't nice...

Queen Sonja of Norway has been criticised for wearing sunglasses too much - but why would she wear them if she didn't feel she needed them? Same probably goes for Mary.

Queen Sonja must wear sunglasses because she has had some plastic surgeries around her eyes... :cool:

I agree... Beeing on a golf course or watching a horse events "allows" to wear sunglasses... But she has worn some last year in Prague and that wasn't nice...

On that day in Prague, it was sunny and Mary was walking around the city visiting different areas and doing various activities. I think it was perfectly acceptable for her to wear sunglasses at that occassion. I would prefer Mary wear sunglasses and protect her eyes, than have her squinting in all photos due to the sun. My opinion though :)

Not nice must be a matter of very differing taste then; I agree with JessRulz' post just above. Of course she should be entitled to wear sunglasses when walking around in a sunny city

Not nice must be a matter of very differing taste then; I agree with JessRulz' post just above. Of course she should be entitled to wear sunglasses when walking around in a sunny city

Of course - you are right. It is necessary to wear sunglasses, but it doesn't fit always to the dress... :flowers:

I don't think it's the sunglasses so much as the style of the sunglasses, and the designer or celebrity impression they give. I didn't even notice the logos on the sunglasses, I just noticed the look of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom