Crown Princess Mary's Daytime Fashion Part 19: October 2012 - February 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprised at her way too casual appearance. The outfit itself was a little fussy and strange, imo. Leather belt and blouse hanging down below the jacket. Really unattractive colors too.
Hair and makeup perfect, as well as posture.

IMO this outfit was suitable for the occasion.It was a sport event and Mary wasn't in an official engagement so she can wear whatever she wants.My opinion is that it's the men who were overdressed.
I always find it ridiculous to see men in suits in stadium.
In tennis which may be considered as a posh sport you rarely see spectators in suits.
Duke and and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry weren't overdressed at the arrival of the olympic torch in London last summer.The two princes weren't in suits while it was an official engagement .Moreover,Catherine was wearing a skinny jeans which was imo more awful than a normal jeans.
Letizia has worn much more unsuitable outfits for official engagements remember military events or the mini dress for an official visit in south America.

I like the outfit too! I like the top & turtleneck a lot.

If the black and white outfit didn't have the weird black cuffs I would love it

I like this outfit. Mary's skin looks flawless too.

It is an interesting combination. I too do not like black cuffs. Crown Princess Mary pulled it off.

Mary attending the handball final in Barcelona
http://1.1.1.1/bmi/2.bp.blogspot.co...NinjRIzzw0/s1600/299340_700_415_0_0_0_0_2.jpg

The jeans look too casual to me, most men were in suits, Mary could have done much better (like the Danish handball team, too)

Could not open the link above. Here is a nice picture of Princess Mary and Prince Felipe ath the game. One of them is too dressed up or too casual for the event . . . ;)

http://www.hola.com/imagenes//reale...nmano/0-226-716/principes-felipe-mary-3-z.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO this outfit was suitable for the occasion.It was a sport event and Mary wasn't in an official engagement so she can wear whatever she wants.My opinion is that it's the men who were overdressed.
I always find it ridiculous to see men in suits in stadium.
In tennis which may be considered as a posh sport you rarely see spectators in suits.

Not when they were also there handing out the medals. Jeans and the blouse longer than the jacket (worse than the jeans) were inappropriate for a royal to hand out medals after a World Championship final. People sitting in the VIP section at a big final usually dress rather formally, Sofia, Maxima and Letizia all wore business attires at the World Cup final.

Last edited:
DonnaK,Except that this event wasn't on Mary professionnal agenda.It was a private event.She was there for leisure.I highly doubt she was expected to give medals.
Mary usually knows how to dress according to the event she doesn't strikes me as a "madame fashion-pas".Have you ever seen Mary dressing casual or in a mini-skirt for a military event,official visit abroad?
Wearing a mini dress in an official visit to Chile for the wife of a future King is more discutable especially when the future King is reviewing the chilean troops and that his wife follows him closely,or when she seats in front of all the photographs.I have never seen Mary in a sloppy outfit or with a cardigan in a military event too.
Nobody criticised the Cambridges or Prince Harry because they dressed casual for the arrival of the olympic torch in London while it was on their official agenda.Since it was a sport event,it was fine to dress casual.
Nobody criticised the fashion of all the royals attending the competitions in London Olympic because they were there as spectators and not official guests.It's the same thing with Mary in Spain she was there as a spectator and it's as simple as this..
On this I think we should agree to disagree:flowers:

Since there seem to be different views on how to dress appropriately for a sport event, let's just say: They complemented each other well. Felipe dressed for those who like formal attire, Mary dressed for those who like it more casual. Perfect teamwork. :)

Since there seem to be different views on how to dress appropriately for a sport event, let's just say: They complemented each other well. Felipe dressed for those who like formal attire, Mary dressed for those who like it more casual. Perfect teamwork. :)

Felipe is used to standing next to an underdressed woman at events, I am sure he didnt even notice.

.It's the same thing with Mary in Spain she was there as a spectator and it's as simple as this..
On this I think we should agree to disagree:flowers:

Spectators generally do not hand out medals to athletes and I doubt it was a surprise to Mary that she would take part in the medal ceremony. A pant suit would have been more appropriate than jeans for a medal presentation at a World Championship......even if her team did lose.

She flies commercial. If there was any flight delay at all it may have caused her to not be able to change.

Wearing a mini dress in an official visit to Chile for the wife of a future King is more discutable especially when the future King is reviewing the chilean troops and that his wife follows him closely,or when she seats in front of all the photographs.I have never seen Mary in a sloppy outfit or with a cardigan in a military event too.

So what? The fact that Letizia was underdressed on that events doesn´t change the fact that Mary WAS underdressed on Sunday :lol::lol::lol:
You can have your opinion, I and other posters have ours, and definitely we aren´t going to change just because some members here think that Mary is the quintaesential of elegance ;)

It seems that if she appears in jeans at an event with ten men dressed in suits, well, then the 10 men have done it wrong, since it´s absolutely impossible that Mary goes wrong :ROFLMAO:

By the way, there was another woman at the tribune and she was wearing a very nice outfit which is what I think appropriate for such an event, in case you´re wondering:
http://i50.tinypic.com/2vud550.jpg

FOR ME, Mary looks out of place in that picture.

Last edited:
Nobody criticised the Cambridges or Prince Harry because they dressed casual for the arrival of the olympic torch in London while it was on their official agenda.Since it was a sport event,it was fine to dress casual.

The Cambridges and Prince Harry wear wearing official Team Britain, Olympic shirts and Kate still got criticize.

All the royals who presented a medal for the summer Olympics wore business casual or professional outfits

I don't know officials in Scandinavian countries often wore jeans when handing out medals in a world championship, examples ? I remember Prince Frederik wore neither jeans or sloppy shorts when handed out medals in the Olympics.

So what? The fact that Letizia was underdressed on that events doesn´t change the fact that Mary WAS underdressed on Sunday :lol::lol::lol:
You can have your opinion, I and other posters have ours, and definitely we aren´t going to change just because some members here think that Mary is the quintaesential of elegance ;)

It seems that if she appears in jeans at an event with ten men dressed in suits, when, then the 10 men have done it wrong, since it´s absolutely impossible that Mary goes wrong :ROFLMAO:

By the way, there was another woman at the tribune and she was wearing a very nice outfit which is what I think appropriate for such an event, in case you´re wondering:

Exactly. What does Letizia or Kate have anything to do with what Mary wore on Sunday ? In fact Letizia had never worn jeans when handing out medals. Whatever Letizia or Kate wore before didn't make Mary's jeans and dangling blouse more appropriate at the medal ceremony.

She flies commercial. If there was any flight delay at all it may have caused her to not be able to change.

One can always change in the bathroom. I realize those are small, but it's doable. Tried it once as I had to.

I don't know officials in Scandinavian countries often wore jeans when handing out medals in a world championship, examples ? I remember Prince Frederik wore neither jeans or sloppy shorts when handed out medals in the Olympics.

Exactly. What does Letizia or Kate have anything to do with what Mary wore on Sunday ? In fact Letizia had never worn jeans when handing out medals. Whatever Letizia or Kate wore before didn't make Mary's jeans and dangling blouse more appropriate at the medal ceremony.

If there are not arguments to defend Mary using just Mary, it's easy to use other princesses and what they wore. I noticed it happening many times before. It looks like some cannot accept Mary not being perfect all the time and making mistakes.

It seems that if she appears in jeans at an event with ten men dressed in suits, when, then the 10 men have done it wrong, since it´s absolutely impossible that Mary goes wrong :ROFLMAO:

I was just going to respond in a similar manner. I read soraya's post and I, too, was wondering, how the fact that Letizia, Kate or anyone else was at times underdressed changes the fact that Mary WAS underdressed?

I think that to anyone looking at that picture you presented, if the woman in jeans wouldn't be Mary, should would looked out of place, in jeans and sloppy blouse hanging below the jacket. But it's Mary, and some will never accept she can go wrong at times, so she will be defended at all costs by some. I can only imagine an amount of posts and criticism had it been Letizia or Kate in Mary's place.

I was also wondering, how come some posters say that it were men in suits who looked out of place since they all were in suits or in military outfits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really some didn't understood why I talked about Leti habit to dress casually in official events?;)
By the way,Thank you Duke of Marmelade you have perfectly resumed my thoughts :lol:
But it seems for some being underdressed on a regular basis is pefectly correct for one royal but unforgetable for another royal in one occasion.Didn't someone said that people in Spain were shocked by Mary's jeans.I thought they were accustomed to with their CP.:D
Guess what,when I see the name of some posters in that thread I can immediatly guess that it will be a negative one.I am not always expecting praise but at least a very few here can say something positive from time to time.
It a bit annoying to se some pop up here only when they have something negative to say.
I have no problems with those who criticise but are objective:flowers:
By the way I didn't criticise Kate for being in jeans when the torch arrived.I brought that example to show it was'nt abnormal for a sport event.
One particular poster didn't come up her to say Mary's jeans is NEW and luxuary:cool:
have a nice day or night:flowers:

I happen to like both outfits. The jeans with a blouse and jacket looked very appropriate for a sporting event, especially if Mary wasn't there in official capacity. She looked very youthful. The outfit for the conference was very professional, but not boring, something very few are able to pull off.

But it seems for some being underdressed on a regular basis is pefectly correct for one royal but unforgetable for another royal in one occasion.Didn't someone said that people in Spain were shocked by Mary's jeans.I thought they were accustomed to with their CP.:D
Sorry Soraya, people in Spain were shocking by Mary´s jeans, as we´re when is Letizia the one who wears them. We can be a poor country, but we´re elegant (you can see that our men dress up when they go to handball matches :D)

I´m finding your comments in this thread a little bit agressive, the comparation with Letizia or Kate had no point here.

Last edited:
Annie I am really sorry if you found my posts agressive that wasn't the aim:flowers::flowers:.It is only a discussion my dear.
May be the tendancy of a few here to be always negative in that thread have made me a bit offensive.I expect from some to be objective that's all.
Don't worry your women are very elegant too:D.I am frequently visiting your country and I noticed that.

Really some didn't understood why I talked about Leti habit to dress casually in official events?;)
By the way,Thank you Duke of Marmelade you have perfectly resumed my thoughts :lol:
Guess what,when I see the name of some posters in that thread I can immediatly guess that it will be a negative one.I am not always expecting praise but at least a very few here can say something positive from time to time.
It a bit annoying to se some pop up here only when they have something negative to say.
I have no problems with those who criticise but are objective:flowers:
By the way I didn't criticise Kate for being in jeans when the torch arrived.I brought that example to show it was'nt abnormal for a sport event.
One particular poster didn't come up her to say Mary's jeans is NEW and luxuary:cool:
have a nice day or night:flowers:

I don't and I never did and I doubt I ever will. I don't think I will ever understand why, to defend one princess, other princesses must be brought to the discussion. It's Mary's thread, not Letizia's, not Kate's. I think it is possible to make a valid point regarding the appropriateness or not of Mary's outfit WITHOUT bringing Letizia, Kate or whoever to the discussion. But I hate comparing so I always say that. In every occasion.

I do not think it's unforgettable, but we are allowed to mention that and to criticize Mary for that, just like it's being done in every other princesses case. But, in Mary's case, some will never accept a slightest criticism of her. Even the justified one (see: Mary WAS underdressed in Spain, comparing to other officials, yet, the defense is going on and on).

See my point? It's not about praising others and downgrading Mary. It's about being fair and if criticizing one for something, doing the same in a similar case of another.

Annie I am really sorry if you found my posts agressive that wasn't the aim:flowers::flowers:.It is only a discussion my dear.
May be the tendancy of a few here to be always negative in that thread have made me a bit offensive.I expect from some to be objective that's all.
Don't worry your women are very elegant too:D.I am frequently visiting your country and I noticed that.

Well, even if some, as you mentioned, are always being negative, that is not a good reason to be offensive, you know? Being offensive is a bad thing. Always.

Why don't we just make it where she can never go to Spain again, call the Queen to lock her in the tower.

Ok, soraya, no problem for me :flowers:
I think maybe we all sometimes get a little bit too "passionate" in our discussions. Calming down would do fine to the discussion itself.

I thought Mary looked too casual and Felipe too formal. That said, Felipe was clearly much closer to the norm for this event. Given that Mary doesn't make a habit of being much more casually dressed than others at her public events, I wonder if there was a miscommunication between the two royal households regarding the dress code?

Why don't we just make it where she can never go to Spain again, call the Queen to lock her in the tower.

That would be a tad exaggerating ;). I do not think Spain is the problem here :flowers:

While I liked the outfit Mary wore to the handball final, I did think she was underdressed. Especially when standing near Felipe and the other officials.

I love the turtleneck and top combo at the Social Business conference. I wish I could see the entire outfit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom