Crown Princess Mary's Daytime Fashion Part 12: June 2011 - August 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mary's dress is very nice.I love the delicate embroideries and colour

Chikan embroidery is very common in India and Pakistan.
I only shudder at the price Prada must be charging for this dress when you consider that you could get yards and yards of fabric with prettier chikan embroidery for a fraction of the cost or pay dozens of embroiderers.
Nevertheless, Mary's dress is pretty and the combination of blue and white is lovely. The pattern itself is not the prettiest or most delicate chikan I have seen.

Mary looks awesome as usual; she hardly gets it wrong as to fashion even on a casual basis. :)

The whole look
Close-up

The pattern is not my favorite, but I love the shade of the blue and how it's combined with the white shade of the dress itself and the shape of the dress. Very nice, summery outfit.

I hesitate to say this, but I think Mary looks frumpy in this dress and shoe combination. I can't put my finger on it exactly, perhaps it's the shoes or the dress length, but I really don't care for her way of dressing for this photoshoot. The dress makes her look dowdy, yet she could wear the same dress next week with different shoes or accessories and I'd love it.:whistling:

I hesitate to say this, but I think Mary looks frumpy in this dress and shoe combination. I can't put my finger on it exactly, perhaps it's the shoes or the dress length, but I really don't care for her way of dressing for this photoshoot. The dress makes her look dowdy, yet she could wear the same dress next week with different shoes or accessories and I'd love it.:whistling:

I dont think the shoes go well with the dress, the colour doesnt match either.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-amzdICk4hW0/Tja6zjvbsXI/AAAAAAAAUWs/P9Q3K_LzrXk/s1600/317.jpg

Now we all know by now that Mary is not all about the matchy-matchy...Sometimes she is all about the clashy-clashy or the monochromatic...the stitching on the dress is blue, so are the shoes, different shades, yes...but it is all about individuality, confidence and personal style...and this is definitely one of Mary's trademarks!

I definitely do agree AnnNotherThing. Being a royal does not mean wearing "show case" clothes all the time. Everyone, even royals do have their "off" days and prefer being casual. Imagine having to get dressed up just to have a simple walk in the park. Mary is not a matchy-matchy girl but always seems to look happy, confident and respectable wherever she goes. Not many royals can "pull that off".

The dress is lovely and if we get to see it more close we can see the piece of art :flowers:...however those shoes doesn't combine at all with the dresss, what was she thinking?

I don't particularly like her look, Prada or no Prada. She looks frumpy.

I love what she's wearing; the dress is gorgeous and it suits her figure perfectly and the shoes are fine, even thought they don't match 100%. This doesn't make the outfit a disaster for me.

I always admire that Mary really puts an effort forth into her clothing choices. I never feel like she's phoning it in on the fashion front. Her clothes may not alway be to my liking but it feels like she knows that role as crown princess is to put forth the best effort and I truly respect that effort. I feel the same about Maxima who makes some truly awful clothing choices and doesn't come groomed her best alot of the time. But she's always a pleasure because of the attitude with which she approaches her job.

Last edited:
While I dont think that Mary looks frumpy, I do think that her wardrobe wont be the same anymore after 4 kids. Like this dress, some of her other dresses after coming back from maternity leave were partly too tight and Mary probably has already realized like other mortals approaching 40 that losing weight isnt easy as it used to be. I dont think that Mary will get her pre-Christian & Isabella body back (not that there is a need to it) and she needs to dress accordingly or have existing dresses altered.

On another note, I give Mary kudos not to join the ridiculous trend for miniskirts & dresses, its something that looks good on teens and women in their 20ies, but not close to 40 anymore.

Like this dress, some of her other dresses after coming back from maternity leave were partly too tight and Mary probably has already realized like other mortals approaching 40 that losing weight isnt easy as it used to be. I dont think that Mary will get her pre-Christian & Isabella body back (not that there is a need to it) and she needs to dress accordingly or have existing dresses altered
PLEASE don't even insinuate that she needs to drop pounds.
She is very slim and toned and thankfully does not have the "twiggy" look.
If that is frumpy, wow.
You are used to seeing her in heels, we all look "frumpy" in flats unless we are 6 years old.;)

PLEASE don't even insinuate that she needs to drop pounds.
She is very slim and toned and thankfully does not have the "twiggy" look.
If that is frumpy, wow.
You are used to seeing her in heels, we all look "frumpy" in flats unless we are 6 years old.;)

Maybe you should read my post more carefully, I said rather the opposite:
Not that Mary has to lose weight, but that her wardrobe needs to change because her body has changed. She wont fit into her pre-twins tight dresses anymore and thats ok.

I love the blue printed Prada dress on her. Nothing else says summer like that dress. I think she looks nice and comfortable.

The dress is a piece of art, it doesn't look so good from far but if we get to see it closer we can see the piece of art...it's a nice dress however it may cost a fortune...

I agree that Mary's body has changed, I mean 4 kids will do that to you. I agree with Duke, things that she wore before might not work for her new body, BUT she had twins less than a year ago so it could just take time for it to go back to what it use to be.

I dont think the shoes go well with the dress, the colour doesnt match either.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-amzdICk4hW0/Tja6zjvbsXI/AAAAAAAAUWs/P9Q3K_LzrXk/s1600/317.jpg

I have already commented on Mary's tendency to go the monochromatic look...different shades of the same colour within the one outfit...BUT then I thought about it some more (lots of time on my hands)...her 'robins egg blue' shoes might not match Mary's own blue (and white) dress, but the blue (of her shoes) does match the blue stripes on both Isabella and Josephine's matching dresses...so maybe that was Mary's intent, to match her daughters in a subtle way while still being complimentary to her own (Prada) dress...I think Mary likes doing quirky things like this with her kids, like some kind of private joke/bond/agreement that we (the outside public) are not privy to...

I love Mary's dress! She and her family look amazing.

she looked nice and relaxed ! not many will look nice and natural in a white dress with blue embroidery. It matches her style

As a few mentioned that Mary looked frumpy, well can you blame her? Keeping an eye on 2 active little kids and 2 babies is not an easy task especially when out in the garden. She looked good, the only frumpy look I got was when she would bend down or carry one of the babies her dress would lift up a bit giving the messy look but that happens to everyone. Moreover, Mary's dress was such a busy print which not many people can pull off well especially in those light colors.

for me, she looked nice...not too simple, not too overdressed...

I love her dress too, shoes and all. :flowers:

I agree too, the Grasten blue embroidered Prada dress was far from frumpy...Frumpy would have been if Mary had worn Queen Margrethe's dress...Frumpy to me is when you wear something that hides or doesn't flatter your figure or is age inappropriate...So while the dress looks great on the Queen, because of her age and height/body, the same dress on Mary would look frumpy because she is a young mum, who is active and healthy and enjoying life...Someone who is good with photoshop should put Mary's head on Margrethe's body (specifically the Grasten shoot) and see how Mary looks then, and that is your definition of frumpy...!

I don't think I've ever seen Mary looking frumpy.

Beautiful dress. She wore it after the pregnancy announcement last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom