The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 11:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

Mary has similar coats like this, they are all lovely, just i do not like the dress longer than the coat! hat is beautifull!!!!

Old 06-13-2010, 11:40 PM
Courtier

I think the outfit is ok, but I'm not so sure about the hat, only her and her ladies in waiting are wearing them. I don't know what the protocol says about when to wear or when not to wear a hat, but IMO this time the hat was too much, because the event was mainly indoor

Old 06-14-2010, 12:02 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by avrilo View Post
I think the outfit is ok, but I'm not so sure about the hat, only her and her ladies in waiting are wearing them. I don't know what the protocol says about when to wear or when not to wear a hat, but IMO this time the hat was too much, because the event was mainly indoor

I think I read somewhere that when you go to church, you wear a hat or cover your hair.
Nowadays people don't do this as a must anymore. Probably royals are more traditional than everyone else.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:22 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellie View Post
I think I read somewhere that when you go to church, you wear a hat or cover your hair.
Nowadays people don't do this as a must anymore. Probably royals are more traditional than everyone else.
In catholic tradition women used to wear a veil, but not a full hat.She is protestant, so it wouldn't apply and I hadn't seen her attending other services with her head covered
Old 06-14-2010, 12:43 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

I like the coat and the hat, it's very coordinated.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:04 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
In catholic tradition women used to wear a veil, but not a full hat.She is protestant, so it wouldn't apply and I hadn't seen her attending other services with her head covered
I don't recall having seen queen Margrethe visiting a church in an official capacity without wearing a hat. IMO, it is only natural if Mary takes her cue from the queen.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:26 AM
Courtier

Well I'll take your word on that because the last time I remember seeing the Queen leaving church it was for Chritsmas services and she was not wearing a hat or covering her head nor in Henrik's baptism, those are not offiicial events, but private.Like I said I'm not sure what protocol dictates and I would love if someone who knows would explain us why Mary and her crew were wearing hats, cause if there was no protocolary reason, then I will keep my opinion that it was over the top, cause the event was indoors..
Old 06-14-2010, 12:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane View Post
I don't recall having seen queen Margrethe visiting a church in an official capacity without wearing a hat. IMO, it is only natural if Mary takes her cue from the queen.
She does seem to have taken her cue from the queen. The same day Mary was visiting Roskilde Cathdral wearing a hat, the queen was visiting Viborg Cathedral wearing a hat.

VIDEO: Dronningen i Viborg | TV/MIDT-VEST
Old 06-14-2010, 02:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

I have loved that coat for ages I bought one quite similar wore it once and accidently put it in the rag bag I have been too horrified to tell anyone but I have come out now so to speak .... Ialso love her hat.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:31 PM
Serene Highness

Her coat is by Prada!

http://princessesblog76.blogspot.fr/
Old 06-14-2010, 03:30 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Well I'll take your word on that because the last time I remember seeing the Queen leaving church it was for Chritsmas services and she was not wearing a hat or covering her head nor in Henrik's baptism, those are not offiicial events, but private.Like I said I'm not sure what protocol dictates and I would love if someone who knows would explain us why Mary and her crew were wearing hats, cause if there was no protocolary reason, then I will keep my opinion that it was over the top, cause the event was indoors..
Why should it matter whether the event was indoor or outdoor? The Danish royal ladies traditionally wear hats at a lot of engagements. If the queen visits a museum and spends all her time indoor, she will wear a hat as well.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

I really enjoy Mary in hats. She always has everything so put together! Glad your blog is back Ccile, I look forward to your coverage for the upcoming events!!!
Old 06-14-2010, 03:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Mary looks lovely. The colours in the outfit are soft and feminine.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:49 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane View Post
Why should it matter whether the event was indoor or outdoor? The Danish royal ladies traditionally wear hats at a lot of engagements. If the queen visits a museum and spends all her time indoor, she will wear a hat as well.
I don't understand the problem of wearing or not wearing hats at engagements. Queen Elizabeth wears hats indoors almost all the time including church and nobody has made a fuss over that. Queen Margrethe and Princess Mary are in that tradition.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:26 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Waering a hat to church seems like protocol to me. All official church engagements made so far has been made wearing a hat.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her_Majesty View Post
She looks elegant here. I love the coat and the hat! Pony-tail with this outfit? I don't think so.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoorMeansLight View Post
She looks elegant here. I love the coat and the hat! Pony-tail with this outfit? I don't think so.
Yes her hair seems to be in a ponytail, looks good with the hat.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:37 AM
Heir Apparent

I really like Mary's hat. It's very beautiful.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:34 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
i wonder who made mary's purple dress in washington. it was one of my favourites of the trip. it just looked right - not too much, not too plain.
Roland Mouret (spelling?) has designed similar dresses.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:59 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

its a lovely outfit and mary is a "hat person", hats simply look great on her. its good to see somebody of the new generation (together with maxima) keep up the "royals wearing hats" tradition while looking good on most occasions.
http://1.2.3.13/bmi/troonopvolgers.w...ry13062010.jpg