The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 10:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasl
No, its not really because the top half of the dress is hideous, its just that the dress was designed so as to show some cleavage, which of course Rania couldn't do. So Rania had to pin hers together, which ruined the whole look (you can see how much more revealing - relatively speaking - Mary's dress is, even with the cardigan... it was meant to be like that). Rania could've worn a cardigan, but it was probably too hot (being near the equator and all).

Btw, Mary wore the dress first (he he) but the runway model wore it before either of them!
do you know where i may see the dress on a model with the top part of the dress properly worn??? ^__^

Old 12-12-2004, 10:53 PM
Courtier

Well here's a pic of Gwyneth Pal t r ow wearing the dress (thanks to Dagmar from CPMaryMB) and the model.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gwen.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	64903  
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2004, 10:55 PM
Heir Apparent

wow...its one popular dress but who could blame it for being so nice! i want one now too.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:59 AM
Nobility

About the prada dress, i think it looked best on Queen Rania.It totally did not suit CP Mary, i wonder what she was thinking wearing it with that sweater.Sometimes i think that they just wear cloths without thinking and think of the designer before thinking if it suits them.The color was nice but the whole thing looked messy on CP Marry.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:00 AM
Nobility

Is it a dress or skirt? I thought it was a dress...
Old 12-13-2004, 11:40 AM
Aristocracy

i also thought that the dress greatly suited queen rania
Old 12-13-2004, 04:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who
About the prada dress, i think it looked best on Queen Rania.It totally did not suit CP Mary, i wonder what she was thinking wearing it with that sweater.Sometimes i think that they just wear cloths without thinking and think of the designer before thinking if it suits them.The color was nice but the whole thing looked messy on CP Marry.
Wow, really? I totally disagree. Don't get me wrong, I think Q Rania is one of the most fashionable royals around (perhaps THE most, after my own fave Mary of course... well actually they're all good), but the way she pinned that dress together totally ruinned it IMO. The material was supposed to fold gently over the chest and expose a bit of cleavage, but pinning i made it look sack-like around the top.

I'm still scratching my head.... different tastes I suppose.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...chmentid=64549 http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...chmentid=64550
Old 12-14-2004, 01:22 AM
Nobility

Quote:
but the way she pinned that dress together totally ruinned it IMO. The material was supposed to fold gently over the chest and expose a bit of cleavage, but pinning i made it look sack-like around the top.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...chmentid=64549 http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...chmentid=64550
I agree with you about the pinning part, that was not nice at all, but I guess the overall of the dress was nice.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:36 AM
Commoner

Question

it seems these women can't win! when they were couture head to toe they are criticised for unthinkingly adopting a designer look. But both of them adapted a dress to suit their circumstance (at a guess R to suit her pregnancy and requirements of modesty, although I note her arms were pretty bare, and CPM due to chilly weather and maybe a similar concern about modesty) and they are both criticised.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:54 AM
Courtier

Although designer's clothes are chic but i think it's a bit odd to pay so much money for a dress and later see some1else wearing the same dress
Old 12-14-2004, 03:00 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute_girl
Although designer's clothes are chic but i think it's a bit odd to pay so much money for a dress and later see some1else wearing the same dress
Very true..Especially if it was a princess..I think its worth paying thousands for a dress, knowing that you would be the only one photographed in it.But I dont think its worth spending thousdans on cloths that everyonew ill be seen it and everyother day in the magazines/paper.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:55 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Wow, really? I totally disagree. Don't get me wrong, I think Q Rania is one of the most fashionable royals around (perhaps THE most, after my own fave Mary of course... well actually they're all good), but the way she pinned that dress together totally ruinned it IMO. The material was supposed to fold gently over the chest and expose a bit of cleavage, but pinning i made it look sack-like around the top.

I'm still scratching my head.... different tastes I suppose.

Indeed, everyone has a different point of view. That's to be expected. I think Queen Rania looked superb. Afterall she is pregnant and her dress needed to be adjusted in a certain way :)
Old 12-14-2004, 07:07 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute_girl
To have an original made costs more. You have to have a dressmaker that does it for you. Or if you are in the big league, you can have Haute Couture outfits made especially for you. On the other hand a designer (who does ready-to-wear) has a line already made and it works out cheaper unless they charge a lot. Today designers know that to make it they have to have well-known people wear their brand, so they give celebrities or other well-known personalities discounts.

I don't think it's odd to have the same dress as someone else. Most people put their own original touch to the outfit and that's what seperates you from others. Also it can show off how good you are, how good your style is if someone can make the dress their own and stamp their own personality on it :)
Old 12-14-2004, 07:20 PM
Nobility

I loved this grey suit on Mary recently! Is it Hugo Boss? I liked the simplicity and the cut of it. You can notice that she has a good eye (or whoever dresses her) for tailoring. Letizia has worn a grey suit too and you can notice that hers looks like any department store buy. It's classy but doesn't have the same kind of cut, it's a bit bland compared to Mary's. But that's fine Letizia doesn't look like she cares to be known as a fashion princess. For her it's not really about the clothes :)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4.jpeg
Views:	527
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	66055   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	66057  
Old 12-14-2004, 10:25 PM
Courtier

I seriously doubt that Mary is given Prada for free. Usually only celebrities, like actors and musicians get free clothes. Putting Mary in your collection isn't going to raise your profile because, unless they follow royalty or are Scandinavian or Australian, people don't know or care about Mary. She may be able to get some Danish or Scandinavian designers to give her free clothes, but the big name labels probably won't.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:37 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly9480
I seriously doubt that Mary is given Prada for free. Usually only celebrities, like actors and musicians get free clothes. Putting Mary in your collection isn't going to raise your profile because, unless they follow royalty or are Scandinavian or Australian, people don't know or care about Mary. She may be able to get some Danish or Scandinavian designers to give her free clothes, but the big name labels probably won't.
You'd be suprised, Kelly. Maybe she isn't given things free but perhaps at discount prices. Has anyone heard of Lady Helen Taylor in the US? Probably not and she is Giorgio Armani's ambassador, promoting his clothes in Europe. Princess Kyril of Bulgaria (Rosario Nadal) did the same for Valentino at one stage and maybe still is. Both Queen Paola and her daughter Princess Astrid are long-time clients of Armani and he looks well after those. Miuccia Prada would be another designer that knows to court royalty is good for business. To dress a new princess brings cachet to a designer, don't under-estimate this, especially these days where images on the internet can end up everywhere.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:00 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who
Very true..Especially if it was a princess..I think its worth paying thousands for a dress, knowing that you would be the only one photographed in it.But I dont think its worth spending thousdans on cloths that everyonew ill be seen it and everyother day in the magazines/paper.
It would be good to have your own personal dressmaker but I also think it costs much more to have one compared to just buying it off the rack. You can see that almost all the princesses wear ready made clothes now - Mathilde & Maxima even wear the same outfits sometimes because they both favour the same designers! Its just so much less hassle that way (and I reckon much cheaper, relatively speaking of course).

Someone also said that most people don't care about Mary so there's no point in giving her free clothes etc. Actually, I think there are a number of people, obviously in Denmark/Australia/Sweden/Norway who knows about Mary, and also countries such as Germany, perhaps even France, New Zealand, etc. who know about her. That's a lot of countries already and this will only grow. Other fashion designers spend more on bland advertising that aren't as effective, so I definitely think its possible that Mary (and the other princesses) get discounts from designers.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:34 AM
Nobility

Some random pictures
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fff.jpg
Views:	1378
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	66384   Click image for larger version

Name:	dd.jpg
Views:	1370
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	66385   Click image for larger version

Name:	d.jpg
Views:	1258
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	66386   Click image for larger version

Name:	bg.jpg
Views:	2298
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	66387  

Old 12-15-2004, 08:40 AM
Courtier

I absolutely adore this pic! This is my most favourite hairstyle on Mary. And I know that some people didn't like how Mary recycled her engagement dress so soon, but I think it was much much better the second time round. The loose hair (as opposed to that severe bun she sported at the engagement dinner) and the soft shawl were brilliant.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...chmentid=66387
Old 12-15-2004, 08:57 AM
Heir Apparent

i think it is great that Royals recycle their clothes, almost half the world lives in poverty it would be sad to see people waste 1000s of dollars on clothes just to wear it once!!! >___<

Tags
crown princess mary, fashion