The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 09:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

politikgirl, I agree completely with your post. By dressing well, it shows they respect their elevated position in society. I am sure that when Mary is at home with her family (Fred, Christian etc) she is more relaxed and at ease.

I think she has a lot of respect for her role and for her position in society because she obviously cares about what the people of Denmark think of her and as a result, she is careful of what she says, does and acts. I think that shows a large amount of respect.

Old 10-19-2006, 09:49 AM
Commoner

Change is not a bad thing in my opinion.

Don't we all change.
I got a better job, so I now buy better clothes and have a sense of confidence when I walk. I want to do better.

I think if we don't change in life, we are not doing us a favor. Life is all about learning and moving forward.

Mary on the other hand has a whole nation looking at her. She better have changed from her normal life in Australia otherwise she would not have progressed in any way. That would be a waste.

Old 10-20-2006, 04:52 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by araivakadua
I hate people pretending to look loveable, when they are not. Be simple is what matters to the people. When you are so concerned with your weight and what to wear, how to smile, etc, it doesnt matter - you're just wasting the taxpayer's money. No wonder Diana was the Queen of Hearts - no one, including Mary will ever replace her.
Oh yes, Diana never ever was concerned with her weight and what to wear.
She never ever wasted a thought on her image and never tried to look loveable
while she was manipulating the media and causing the biggest crisis of the British monarchy ever (together with her husband).

I am sure Mary will never replace her - and that's a very good thing.

Quote:
It is a pity that posters feel a Princess should 'transform' with stylistes et al. When you look at pictures of Mathilde, Mette-Marit, Máxima and Letizia, they are very much the same before and after the marriage. ...
She is the first who comes in my mind when it is about royal crises of the future.
I disagree.
Their looks may be the same (or may have changed to the worse instead to the better).
But I feel Mette-Marit's and Letizia's personalities have changed much more than Mary's.
And I think that Maxima also has changed a bit.
IMO she is not as natural and warm as she was in the beginning.

But they are all doing their best and hopefully will never be like Diana.

It is a pity though that posters see a person as a danger to the monarchy
just because she has improved her look with the help of stylists.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:10 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie
I think the reference was before meeting and dating Fredrick, not before the engagement, she was involved with him for a couple of years before becoming engaged. That's when the transformation happened!
I don't see that much of a transformation during those years.
Actually I think she looked very much "girl-next-door" at her engagement.
With a few kilos less perhaps.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by politikgirl
I think Mary's transformation has been steady, in the sense that it didn't happen overnight and relatively natural. Sure, she's lost some weight, but Mary was not overweight to begin with and she has not lost weight to the point where she looks sickly, so it hasn't been a very dramatic, unhealthy weight loss. I think her figure looks healthy and athletic - we all know how much she loves sports. There have been some other transformations in terms of weight that do not look like natural weight loss (I won't name any names, but I'm sure some people can think of a few names), but Mary isn't one of them.

Yes, her style has changed a lot and she looks much more polished and refined, but being polished and refined helps her represent her new adopted country - who wants a princess who doesn't look like she cares enough about her role to dress well? I equate this to any other royal, or even CEOs of companies, Presidents/Prime Ministers of countries, who represent something more than themselves and subsequently dress well in order to show respect for what they represent. As a Canadian, when I see Queen Elizabeth II, who is the Queen of Canada as well as all the other commonwealth countries, I appreciate seeing her dressed well, even in her older age, as it shows that she respects her position and the countries she represents. Mary, as a younger princess, of course dresses a little more in style than the older royals do, but she always dresses well, with polish and class, which to me shows that she cares about the way she represents her country and the position she holds.

What some people feel about her work aside from how she looks is a topic for a different thread altogether, but I think Mary's transformation has been natural and appropriate, and see no issues with it.

Whether Mary has lost a bit of her identity is difficult to judge from pictures and footage of her in her public role. As a Crown Princess, she is representing Denmark and the royal family, not herself. How she is in private is a much better judge of whether she's lost who she is... and we will probably never know this unless we know Mary herself. I have a suspicion though that she is still, more or less, the same Mary she was then in terms of character and personality, and I'm sure her family in Australia would probably agree. Yes, she is much more disciplined and professional (for lack of a better word) in her public role, and while I am sure she is still respectful of her position in her private life, I suspect she is more loose, fun and more "Mary from the suburbs" (to quote above) when she is not on her official duties, like when she is with Frederik, Christian, her family, friends, etc.. Of course, we can't know this... so I wouldn't spend too much time speculating on whether or not Mary is the same person on the inside as she was when she met Frederik.
I concur, politikgirl. And not just because I am a Mary supporter but because I believe in what you have stated.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:31 PM
Heir Apparent

I think Mary has changed quite dramatically over the years and it seems to be something that occurred pretty much as soon as she met Fred.

The photos I've seen of her from 2000(and some from younger days) show a chunky woman with dull skin and bad taste in clothes. Since then she's shed the weight (and emphasised some of her bad physical feaures,imo) and clearly started using better quality products on her hair and skin.

As for her dress sense, I don't think she's got a style as such, she's well groomed and makes the classic mistake of thinkng that expensive clothes=style. At least that's my take on her.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:33 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
I concur, politikgirl. And not just because I am a Mary supporter but because I believe in what you have stated.
I third that too- I couldn't have said it better myself.. I really do believe Mary is who you see and has never really changed .She might dress different etc etc but i think she is still the same old Mary in her values and this shows in her work and the way she interacts with people. She looks great.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Of course she is the same old Mary in her values. Also the pre-Mary high likely wanted to marry rich...and now she is married to a rich guy. And before you think this is another Mary-bashing...no, I do understand her...if you are meeting a nice guy, who is even wealthy, who wouldn´t grab him?
As it seems she was also a children person before and she still is. And it seems, she was quite a social personality and she still is (at least when she´s feeling comfy and safe in her surroundings)

Well, and talking about the superficial changes. Of course she got a new set of clothes. And that´s pretty normal...one can´t expect her to wear her old blue jogging clothes for Royal duties (I´m biting now on my tongue...so that the words Astrakhan and Prada don´t come out )
And as many already said, she lost a great deal of weight. Also shortly before the engagement, she was pretty thin and lost a little bit more around the wedding. I guess, she did it to look better (and later also wedding stress may have caused the one or another pound)...and somehow she does, but her facial features have suffered a little from her diet. Her face looked softer before. Well, one can´t have all.
Before, around the engagement and also partly after the wedding, she had this terrible habit of making a pouty face with the head up. It seems, she got this from the Starmaker course...thanks god, this has improved and she is looking more natural again.
I think she is wearing heavier Make up, is avoiding sun exposition and got some chemical peelings to work with the sun damages. Nothing wrong with that...as long as she doesn´t start with Botox and collagen duck lips (hate that personally)
Well conclusio...I like the old style of "Mary Donaldson" more, but I can also see, that many ppl have a certain image of Royalty, that needs to be fulfilled. There must be a reason, why all Danes were so taken by this Tassie girl in the beginning...
Old 10-21-2006, 02:05 PM
Majesty

Some posts have been moved to the "What is your opinion of Frederik and Mary" thread because the remarks were irrelevant to this discussion. Thanks to everyone who have not taken the bait and kept this thread on track.

Happy posting!

Mandy
Royal House of Fashion Moderator
Old 10-21-2006, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Mary went through a major transformation. Obviously their are people who helped and advised her in what to do and there are still helping her. But it is normal for her to change because she had become a crown princess; she was no more the normal young women. Her transformation was a great change and I think she has or has become a style icon for many other princesses and young women.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:57 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
Of course she is the same old Mary in her values. Also the pre-Mary high likely wanted to marry rich...and now she is married to a rich guy. And before you think this is another Mary-bashing...no, I do understand her...if you are meeting a nice guy, who is even wealthy, who wouldn´t grab him?
What i meant was that some people think she has no values or morals because she married a Prince, slimmed down and wears designer clothes- I know you are not bashing Mary but not all women would marry a Prince or someone just because they have money..But yes some would but at the end of the day it would have to work and they'd have to be in love and have some sort of common interests or it won't last long. I think Mary looks amazing now- i can imagine the pressure to stay slim being photographed neally every day would take a toll on you and some people just lose a lot of weight when under stress. I also liked the Mary of old but i guess she wanted to feel better about herself to shed some weight- She has many a stylist to help her but I think she has a good look about her that she can wear anything and look great- some people are just like that..
Old 10-21-2006, 07:20 PM
Royal Highness

Some have commented on Mary's weightloss prior to her wedding; isn't that what happens to most brides who are having big lavish weddings?

I don't see see what is so remarkable in Mary's 'transformation'. People who are often photographed will naturally become more aware of their apperance, not least their weight. It happens to actors, news people - and to royals.
As to dressing better and using better skin products I would be more surprised if she hadn't done that - like other princesses.
I honestly don't see what she has done which everyone of us wouldn't have done had we suddenly been put in the same spotlight.

The external change need not IMO be seen as something negative; it reflects a dramatic change in her life from an anonymous girl to a CP. The most important thing is that she is the same Mary who met Frederik - and I see no evidence that she has changed that because her wardrobe and beauty regime has changed.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:34 PM
Gentry

Before and after pictures...anyone? Thanks
Old 10-21-2006, 10:04 PM
Courtier

There is nothing wrong with Mary's transformation, imho. She is the future queen of Denmark and has to present herself in a proper way. She looks to be a healthy, active 34-year-old mother, wife and princess. She is clearly a private person and so we don't get to see all her emotions as she chooses not to reveal them to the world.

Obviously she works hard to stay at a thin but healthy weight and she wants to look good in the clothes she wears but she is on display to the world 24/7 with their harsh judgments. She maintains as much of her private self as she can and there is nothing wrong with that. It's what makes her more regal, imo. She interacts with people warmly but there is a distance she projects due to her shyness and a need to protect herself.

There is no comparison to the PoW because Diana wore her heart on her sleeve. She was always displaying her emotional pain. Mary doesn't do that at all and that's all right with me.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star
I think Mary has changed quite dramatically over the years and it seems to be something that occurred pretty much as soon as she met Fred.

The photos I've seen of her from 2000(and some from younger days) show a chunky woman with dull skin and bad taste in clothes. Since then she's shed the weight (and emphasised some of her bad physical feaures,imo) and clearly started using better quality products on her hair and skin.

As for her dress sense, I don't think she's got a style as such, she's well groomed and makes the classic mistake of thinkng that expensive clothes=style. At least that's my take on her.
Why this continued harsh focus on CP Mary? She has had a "transformation" but it has been for the better. She has not gained weight, she has not become skeleton thin, she does not look 10 years older than she is. Why is her self improvement different and more sinister than any other royal bride? There's a lot of jealousy of Mary, imo. And the last picture I saw of her, she wasn't wearing much make-up at all.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Emma
Before and after pictures...anyone? Thanks
Billed Bladet: The photo was taken in 2002

TV2: Jutland, 2004

Its obvious the Crown Princess had lost some weight but it was a gradual process and I sincerely believe she looked, and still does look, perfectly healthy.

Quote:
Why this continued harsh focus on CP Mary?
Laviollette,

Conversing with those who hold a severe repugnance for Mary is not something I have found to be worth the time or effort of even contemplating since my response some time back to another harsh critic.

For whatever reason(s) they have for disliking this lady is of no consequence to anyone but themselves and if it makes them happy or content then that's fine.

I guess what I'm saying is that although I respect everyone's right to express their view (whether positive or negative) there are some things you just have to turn a blind eye to, and continuous disdain is one of them
Old 10-21-2006, 11:24 PM
Courtier

After looking at the before and after pictures, I think Mary looks more healthy now. Her physical transformation has been a positive thing.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laviollette
Why this continued harsh focus on CP Mary? She has had a "transformation" but it has been for the better.
That's you opinion. Personally I think she looks alot more artificial now, than she did before in the sense that she doesn't seem as natural.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laviolette
She has not gained weight, she has not become skeleton thin, she does not look 10 years older than she is.
Again, that's your opinion. I think her weight has reached levels that are incredibly skinny, imo (although she looks ok at the moment). As for her appearance, she can and does look older than her age (imo) but having seen photos of her sisters I think it runs in the family.

Quote:
Why is her self improvement different and more sinister than any other royal bride?
Perhaps because she's the one who looks most different. If you compare her Starmakers photos with her photos now, it looks like a completely different person. I don't think any of the others look radically different in the way that Mary does.
Quote:
There's a lot of jealousy of Mary, imo.
If you're going to be insulting, could you be at least be creative about it? I'm sick of being told that I must be jealous of Mary because I don't think she's wonderful. From what I've seen and read there's not much to be jealous of.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laviollette
There is nothing wrong with Mary's transformation, imho. She is the future queen of Denmark and has to present herself in a proper way. She looks to be a healthy, active 34-year-old mother, wife and princess. She is clearly a private person and so we don't get to see all her emotions as she chooses not to reveal them to the world.

Obviously she works hard to stay at a thin but healthy weight and she wants to look good in the clothes she wears but she is on display to the world 24/7 with their harsh judgments. She maintains as much of her private self as she can and there is nothing wrong with that. It's what makes her more regal, imo. She interacts with people warmly but there is a distance she projects due to her shyness and a need to protect herself.
I agree with this post. Laviollette, I couldn't have put it better myself. Also, she has to dress nicely and it shows she has respect for her position in society.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:33 PM
Serene Highness

I think Mary's transformation is simply an inspiration. What's wrong with wanting to be the best you can be? The world does prize the beautiful and I think Mary felt the pressure to fit the bill. I don't think she has changed SO much, but people need to stop bashing her for wanting to look and feel her best. Kudos!

Change is a hard thing for people to accept and I've noticed that women will be the first to tell other women "you're fine! you don't need to lose weight!" It's human nature to want people to stay in the same boat with you. As soon as someone starts reaching for more, she becomes threatening.

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" Pride and Prejudice
Closed Thread

Tags
crown princess mary