Charlene Wittstock's Fashion and Style Part 1: May 2007 - March 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm not a fashion expert as my area of expertise is in another area of the arts but I have an opinion and I thought Jaya made some noteworthy observations which even my untrained eye can see clearly. I have enjoyed this thread, as fashion is an interest, and while many would argue beauty is in the eye of the beholder, there are times on this board that many of us see the same thing. For example, you will have a hard time convincing me that Charlene's closing ceremony outfit didn't look like it was more for the bedroom than the stadium. I thought it looked cheap and I thought Fredericks of Hollywood is an appropriate observation. I don't hate Charlene as I don't know her personally, but I do know when someone is well-dressed or dressed well for the occasion. I have yet to see Charlene do either. It is my opinion and I am entitled to it. If there are those on the forum who think I don't know anything, then fine. But to quote Voltaire, I may disagree with everything you have to say but I will defend until your death your right to say it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my God. She needs SERIOUS help. What the. . .LACEUP slits in PANTS? Wow. I have seen it all. I wonder what PA thinks of her fashion sense? He can't tell her she looks good? Can't Karl step in and be a fairy godfather? The poor girl is embarassing herself. :(

1. This thread is reserved solely for the discussion of Charlene Whittstock's fashion and style.

2. If you wish to discuss other personalities like
Zeenat Aman, please do so in Celebrity Chit Chat forum.

3. If you think that Charlene has no fashion or style, I suggest you find somewhere else to comment unless you have some constructive fashion suggestions to offer.

4. This is not the Poetry Corner nor the Joke Corner. I believe we've heard enough Charlene jokes already... more than we can tolerate.

All opinions unrelated to fashion will be deleted without notice.

Happy posting!

Mandy
Royal House of Fashion Moderator

BurberryBrit said:
Oh my God. She needs SERIOUS help. What the. . .LACEUP slits in PANTS? Wow. I have seen it all. I wonder what PA thinks of her fashion sense? He can't tell her she looks good? Can't Karl step in and be a fairy godfather? The poor girl is embarassing herself. :(

I have a suggestion (and comment): I think that her completely black near retro 70's/bollywood inspired (modified 'fredrick's of hollywood' looking Jaya observed - YES, EXACTLY! :lol:) garb does not work for the event. But that is just my opinion.

It may have looked very sexy in person (especially to the men - Albert), and it may have actually cost her a good sum of money. I do just not think it was a good choice for her - someone else, somewhere else, maybe.

I think CW really can do a much better selecting clothes that compliment her figure and help move her toward the maturity, sophistication and style that she wants to have (or maybe not - maybe she is content as is looking like 'the mistress'). Her taste needs to get more refined because she's the one who keeps dressing herself in those types of clothes. No joke there either. But then again, since CW probably was not meeting with the Queen of anyplace it may not actually matter :)

The top of the bustier gave an illusion of cleavage - she needed that. The stilettos and the all black theme maybe was a good contrast to the blonde hair (but all too intense, imo). The scarf did help to take some attention away from the broad shoulders, and her makeup stayed, well...minimal. And I noticed she was not wearing that gosh-awful tacky red nail enamel (thank goodness).

If she picked that outfit in mind for what men like (because some say men are visual), then she did a really good job of it. She might be taking her clues from the types of women that get Albert's attention. JMO

A suggestion. Maybe Escada? Prada or something? Hugo Boss? Max Mara? John Galliano Dior by John Galliano Resort 2007 Collection on Style.com: Complete Collection (I think #3 and #4 maybe)?

For an event like this, what would have worked better (many other things would have been better imo, but which designer)?:flowers:

Last edited:
John's work for the House of Dior will not suit Charlene's body frame. His cut is way too abstract, odd, and too small for her.

If anything, she should consider Hamish Morrow, Blumarine, Gianfranco Ferre, Celine, Ann Demeulemeester. Dries Van Noten, or Yohji Yamamoto.

Though she has strong shoulders she should down play that area and focus on her legs and narrow hips which would look wonderful in a below the knee pencil or A-line skirt. She can also get away with draping around the shoulders and neck. Furthermore, a top that would add some dimension to her chest.

Yes, ok - the idea being to keep it simple around the top of her body. But the slim skirts or slim pants may not work for CW because she has no waist (imo) unless she combines it with some draping around her shoulders (as suggested). Any examples?

What about somone who does a more tailored look?

Last edited:
If Charlene were to balance out her shoulders with an a-line skirt (at or just above the knee to show off those legs) or wide leg pants she would be better off. It would also create the illusion of a waist/curves. It's all about balance. She has been doing a lot with the scarf draped around her neck -- draws the eye inward to her throat and away from the shoulders.

I think she would look good in Armani... But more important than the work of any particular designer is that she has to find a style/image that she wants to project and focus on a public wardrobe that does exactly that. Also, a good tailor can be your best friend. I doubt she is having everything custom made; even good bridge lines (Calvin Klein, Dana Buchman, etc) will need tailoring to fit someone perfectly. If a piece of clothing fits you correctly, it will look good regardless of the price.

Lillia said:
I have a suggestion (and comment): I think that her completely black near retro 70's/bollywood inspired (modified 'fredrick's of hollywood' looking Jaya observed - YES, EXACTLY! :lol:) garb does not work for the event. But that is just my opinion.

It may have looked very sexy in person (especially to the men - Albert), and it may have actually cost her a good sum of money. I do just not think it was a good choice for her - someone else, somewhere else, maybe.

From the pics, it looks very cheap. I can tell by the fabric. It looks like polyester, not something of quality. Charlene's father said she was buying her own clothes, so I wouldn't be surprised if she picked it up at a cheaper store. I do give her 2 points for trying. With the pashmina strewn about her neck it shows she is really trying. I think she needs to go for demure though instead of grab the attention of males. It will make women like her more and would bolster her image maybe. I completely agree with paca that she should try an A line dress of skirt and give up the halter and strapless style. Charlene could look very nice if she had some guidance. Unfortunately for her, she has a rather difficult frame to dress (Serena Williams also has this problem because she's curvy AND muscular at the same time which looks odd in the outfits she wears).

BurberryBrit said:
From the pics, it looks very cheap. I can tell by the fabric. It looks like polyester, not something of quality. Charlene's father said she was buying her own clothes, so I wouldn't be surprised if she picked it up at a cheaper store. I do give her 2 points for trying. With the pashmina strewn about her neck it shows she is really trying. I think she needs to go for demure though instead of grab the attention of males. It will make women like her more and would bolster her image maybe. I completely agree with paca that she should try an A line dress of skirt and give up the halter and strapless style. Charlene could look very nice if she had some guidance. Unfortunately for her, she has a rather difficult frame to dress (Serena Williams also has this problem because she's curvy AND muscular at the same time which looks odd in the outfits she wears).

I agree. CW should really get some help.

Here are a few of her most recent outfits (I think she could use help on all of them in one way or another):
Welkom op royalfotos!!

http://royalfotos.web-log.nl/./photos/uncategorized/foto16_14.jpg

http://royalfotos.web-log.nl/./photos/uncategorized/foto18_15.jpg

http://royalfotos.web-log.nl/./photos/uncategorized/foto17_12.jpg

Tinika said:
About Stephanie--to call those dresses "questionable" is being very kind. :rolleyes:

Maybe Charlene looks to er for inspiration. She should be emulating Caroline instead. :ermm:

I agree about the hair and make up but lavender is such a hard color to wear. Her lace up dress was a brigher tone and she was tan in that photo which helped her out I think. Here she looks washed out - kinda Addams family. Also could someone explain the top she is wearing. I know some of the young girls like this stuff but I'm not sure that it works for her. As Libra said in the other thread, at least it's not a halter top! JMO

Oh my goodness! She's wearing sleeves!!! :eek: ;)

rarotonga said:
I agree, Lady S.

yes, I agree too. But I think she's at least showing some movement in her choices. It's wobbly, but some movement is better than nothing.:lol:

Is this what the future holds?

Last edited:
im please she has discovered sleeves because my next thought was to suggest plastic surgery to narrow her shoulders. alas, her hair and makeup are awlful and whats up with using an black eyeliner to outline the whole eye? u know if she were to cry she would look like tammy faye baker.

semisquare said:
im please she has discovered sleeves because my next thought was to suggest plastic surgery to narrow her shoulders. alas, her hair and makeup are awlful and whats up with using an black eyeliner to outline the whole eye? u know if she were to cry she would look like tammy faye baker.
Tammy Faye Baker, you know, now that you've said that, your right. It sadly reminds me of when young teen girls first try to put on eyeliner and well, Charlene is doing slightly better than that but.......

hibou said:
Tammy Faye Baker, you know, now that you've said that, your right. It sadly reminds me of when young teen girls first try to put on eyeliner and well, Charlene is doing slightly better than that but.......

that is so funny! :ROFLMAO:

I remember when I was a teenager learning how to wear eyeliner and I got it all wrong.

My aunt saw me with the racoon eyes (you know, kohl eye pencil) - thankfully I was at her house., but i had been walking around at school like that, thinking I looked cute like the rest of the girls. I was wrong and did not know better. I was so naive that i did not even know to be embarrassed (ok no harm, no foul)

Thank goodness for the caring aunt!

never again did I draw my eyes in like that and one should not color over the eyebrows either with a pencil either.

She said that the skill in wearing makeup is in looking like you are not really wearing any at all. My problem at the time was that i did not have a 'big sister' to show me better...:flowers:

but when i look at the pics, CW does not seem to be too out of place. Look at the make-up and clothes of those other women there. she seems to fint right in there:)

Last edited:
Valley of the Dolls

I dreamt of Jaqueline Suzanne the other night and remembered her book and movie Valley of the Dolls.I saw two sets of pictures of Miss Wittsock. One was with a variation on the blouse with heavy black lace net over white and black and one set of pictures had her in black stockings.

Let us begin with the garish make up .For a second I thought of Tammy Faye Bakker with all the white eyeshadow.Then I thought of Valley of the Dolls.

If Miss Wittsock could soften her make up by looking at pictures of extraordinarily beautiful Sharon Tate I think it might asssist her to reveal her true beauty which is formidable if definitively accentuated..[I never knew what Tate saw in Roman & I will never know what Cw sees in PA]

Both seemingly empire Edwardian blouses with a deep cleavage were not executed to do justice to this Cheryl Tiegs look alike's beauty.The sleeves were not attached with the sartorial attention they needed to be properly fitted.They needed more accentuation where they joined the body of the blouse.Also the sleeves were Little Bo Peep and whoever allowed that was asleep at the switch.

The empire waist starts under the bust but is never worn by a tall lady as it elongates her further.The skirt again was too short and could have been pleated to accent the inherent feminity of the outfit along with being longer.

The shoes cut the fluidity of the leg with the ankle strap but Miss Wittsock has an apparent balletic taste in footwear.The empire waist should go downwards in the back and close with trillions of buttons
I think at the neck she could have added a velvet or satin ribbon in thin choker like black taffeta that would have fallen behind to her knees and contained the look .

Also maybe a curl in the hair would have assisted.

Since Miss Wittsock does not have heavy legs black stockings makes them look even skinnier[like stilts] and non descript.For now let us reserve those for Irene Pappas in The Guns of Navarone and Anna Magnani the heavy weights of black stockings as were the gals from the Folies Bergere.

Also might we please refrain from the pasty lipstick shades?

Contary to most I do not find Miss Wittsock's shoulders a problem but I think she might want or reduce her upper arms if she herself feels this a problem as it will reduce the illusion of shoulders. I feel that Miss Wittsock is romantically psychedelic in these two outfits that I have seen but somehow they were "static" like someone had put her in them and forgotten that special touch.

I hope to see that special touch next time.

yours for fashion
Jaya

Last edited:
LadyS said:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f13/hsh-prince-albert-current-events-part-22-a-12514-7.html Post #126 - fposted by Iceflower

From PA Current Events thread - Monte-Carlo Television Festival

I think the outfit is a great improvement but a pity about the hair and make-up.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f13/charlene-wittstock-current-events-part-9-a-12709-7.html

The photos are now on Charlene Wittstock Current Events Part 9 - post #124
(Sorry, I think they were moved)

Please remember that empty posts, that is posts that do not add or contribute to the discussion will be deleted without notice.

Thanks for understanding,

Mandy
Royal House of Fashion Moderator

I think for the most part she is doing just o.k. But jaya is correct that it looks as if someone dressed her in her latest outfits,but forgot the extra something to pull it all together.
She does not seem to be big on accessories. Like a necklace or earrings, which can really put the finishing touches on a plain outfit.
As for her hair, she might want to invest in a curling iron and somthing that builds body and fluff into it. that in itself can really make a difference in her appearance.
As for her makeup, well, she may not be big on wearing it, alot or a little, but she needs to enhance what she has.
She might be the nicest person in the world, or the most ignorant. Since I don't know her personally, I cant pass judgement on her.
But from what I've seen of her in pictures, she does not present herself in a proper manner befitting a person who is dating a Royal.
Her clothes wear her, she does not wear the clothes. And sometimes she presents herself as being a little "cheap looking".
I think if she put a little effort into it, and presented herself a little better, people might start looking at her a little differently and possibly form a different opinion of her?

Yes, ok - the idea being to keep it simple around the top of her body. But the slim skirts or slim pants may not work for CW because she has no waist (imo) unless she combines it with some draping around her shoulders (as suggested). Any examples?

What about somone who does a more tailored look?

Since many are on (rather advocate) the screaming train of Conservative Boring Mumsy Clothing that would suit Charlene, would this ensemble please you? Or how about this or this?

Would any of you finally cut her some slack? Or would many of you still be displeased with her because she wore bright pink?

By the way, Lillia, this post was not specifically directed towards you or anyone else in particular.:flowers:

Since many are on (rather advocate) the screaming train of Conservative Boring Mumsy Clothing that would suit Charlene, would this ensemble please you? Or how about this or this?

Would any of you finally cut her some slack? Or would many of you still be displeased with her because she wore bright pink?

By the way, Lillia, this post was not specifically directed towards you or anyone else in particular.:flowers:

It's not about mumsy clothing or Kate Middleton clothing, or Camilla clothing . It's about her lack of style. Her inability to pull an outfit or ensemble together or to get the proper guidance that she needs. Donatella Versace could make this women look wow and she isn't a mumsy designer but again the point is style and I'm sorry Charlene has none. Some people don't like Chelsy Davey either but she is creative in how she puts an outfit together and so I give that SA girl credit. Charlene just doesn't have it. JMO

sartorial elegance

Miss Wittsock I think would look fabulous in shorter hair and have her colours done[which ones suit her best} that would assist.Also an analysis of the sartorially elegant lines suited to enhance her fashion presentation.She must find the consistent lines[especially cut and fit] to adhere to, to have style. Miss Wittsock has not found her definitive style yet but I am sure she is well on the way if she shows a bit more enthusiasm for the task.

do you know which designers did she used until now? Her style remember me stephanie.

i do think she is trying , she is just a little above Stephanie in the clothes department . but least she is trying .

i guess u can say she is trying but imo she is not above princess stephanie because she doesn't dress as a head of state

Those hats are really hilarious:ROFLMAO: and awful looking especially the big pink upside down one!

I'm not sure that even someone like CW could get it that far wrong because she doesn't seem like a hat-type girl :) but I bet if she ever did get an idea to wear a hat it may look just as terrible anyway (imo) because she probably doesn't know how to do it right. Sometimes, wearing a hat or a headpiece is more that just jamming it onto your head, so she's better start small with a little barrett or headband first (my opinion).

I do agree with some other posters that style is more the point. If one has style, the color and everything else falls into place. IMO, she has the style sense of a fish and that's not saying much.

Maybe a new bob haricut would work for CW - it's kinda self-maintenencing hairstyle isn't it?

Ho hum and oh well, I guess some girls just don't have that special 'je ne sais quoi' when it somes to presenting themselves to the public...

but ok, if the worst she's ever done is dress herself cheaply (dressing cheap is not the same as being on a budget), not have a job, not seem to have ever made friends with a good tailor, not look to comb her hair and still try to be a princess so she can do charity work in sports for the underprivledged (and I still don't understand how somebody who has never actually worked, couldn't have cared to finish school can talk about hoping to work in charity or development for anybody else), then good luck to her. :flowers:

IMO Charlene did not pull up and move to Monaco just to turn around and go back home (a task not too difficult, especially when one has not much to carry, I would think).

So, like any good old barnacle, she will probably be hanging on in MC for a long time, style or no style. :flowers:

JMO

I found these on the internet from some so called 'webzines' (probably somebody trying to help CW 'image' they call her 'discreet and elegant' :eek:):

from pr-inside.com
Prince Albert of Monaco treated South African swimming champion Charlene Wittstock to an unusual date over the weekend - a crucial football match.

from IOL.co.za
IOL: Apple of Prince Albert's eye makes a splash

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom