Charlene Wittstock's Fashion and Style Part 1: May 2007 - March 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since it seems that Charlene cannot do anything right when it comes to her fashion choices, I thought it would be interesting (and fun) to pick something for her from this weeks's Fall 2007-2008 Haute Couture collections.

As you may or may not know, on July 2 Mr. Galliano for Christian Dior opened this season with a brilliant show held the Orangerie at Versailles.

Here are a few designs that might work for Charlene in the future. Please keep in mind, this is couture, 9 times out of 10 it's supposed to be over the top.

Divine black suit love the tight pencil skirt.

[url=http://www.elle.com/assets/image/2007/W27/070320070044576201.jpg]Fitted off the shoulder white dress[/url]

[url=http://www.elle.com/assets/image/2007/W27/070320070044586818.jpg]Pretty in Pink[/url]

[url=http://www.elle.com/assets/image/2007/W27/070320070044589202.jpg]Monaco sea blue[/url]

[url=http://www.elle.com/assets/image/2007/W27/070320070044596226.jpg]WOW[/url]

[url=http://www.style.com/slideshows/fashionshows/F2007CTR/CDIOR/RUNWAY/23m.jpg]Divine[/url]

[url=http://www.style.com/slideshows/fashionshows/F2007CTR/CDIOR/RUNWAY/36m.jpg]Re-cut the dress and it could be amazing. Look at the detail in front[/url]

[url=http://www.style.com/slideshows/fashionshows/F2007CTR/CDIOR/RUNWAY/45m.jpg]Love the color[/url]

Hmm, maybe

Since it seems that Charlene cannot do anything right when it comes to her fashion choices, I thought it would be interesting (and fun) to pick something for her from this weeks's Fall 2007-2008 Haute Couture collections.

As you may or may not know, on July 2 Mr. Galliano for Christian Dior opened this season with a brilliant show held the Orangerie at Versailles.

Here are a few designs that might work for Charlene in the future. Please keep in mind, this is couture, 9 times out of 10 it's supposed to be over the top.

Divine black suit love the tight pencil skirt.

Fitted off the shoulder white dress

Pretty in Pink

Monaco sea blue

WOW

Divine

Re-cut the dress and it could be amazing. Look at the detail in front

Love the color

Hmm, maybe

It does bring up the point that Albert with his connections and one phone call could have had someone from Fr. Vogue or one of the other fashion magazines or designers for that matter, help her out with her choices. If he is going to take her to all these events, he could have made the call and saved her from herself. You would think he would want to present her in the best possible visable way. After all,someone's PR staff has certainly been working overtime, why they wouldn't have covered her fashion base I don't know. On the other hand wearing an over the top couture piece would have at least focused on the designer and not her, but then again maybe that would have been a problem too.

On the other hand wearing an over the top couture piece would have at least focused on the designer and not her, but then again maybe that would have been a problem too.

Again, it's couture it's supposed to be "over the top" for the shows only.:)

For the clients, the garment is "toned down" and looks much better in person. Example of couture gowns that have been altered: Queen Rania's gowns from Elie Saab.

One more for Charlene:
Red might work on her or not

I think Charlene if she worked with the right people from hair & make-up to stylist's, i think it would really bring out things that she seems to be not going for, like right choice colors, right cut. she is intresting to see but i think she could do much much better.

I can see CW in the blue dress, it's fun and flowing and very feminine. I like that one.

I think Charlene if she worked with the right people from hair & make-up to stylist's, i think it would really bring out things that she seems to be not going for, like right choice colors, right cut. she is intresting to see but i think she could do much much better.

Exactly my point, Albert could have made a phone call or two for someone to help her put an outfit together. Some of us might not like the outfit in the end but at least she would have a sense of style and the clothes tailored properly. It doesn't have to be designer clothes or couture just a pulled together look. That was something Albert if he cared should have done. I realize his Mother didn't need it as she was creative and had a very good sense of clothes and style, but even for a guy he should have known better at this point.

Again, it's couture it's supposed to be "over the top" for the shows only.:)

For the clients, the garment is "toned down" and looks much better in person. Example of couture gowns that have been altered: Queen Rania's gowns from Elie Saab.

One more for Charlene:
Red might work on her or not

I know couture is supposed to be over the top I worked in one of the largest Art museums in the US at one time. You missed my point which is if Charlene wanted to grab attention and make a statement like Princess Gloria did in the 80's with Lacroix in which she didn't tone it down, Charlene could have worn one of those you have picked out. Then we would be focusing on that instead. Just like Princess TNT used to be.

but I find that quite a few women dress like charlene when they go out in Monoco ( byt the picture's Iv seen ,Im not saying everyone ) but Iv seen a few of them look like las Vegas lady's ! so I suppose she is just fitting in.

I just found where Charlene got her fashion show outfit from. I believe that the beach volley outfit was the same outfitter.

Isabell Kristensen

Isabell Kristensen is a local designer/former model (like jiki who used to dress Steph). I've seen her a few times in real life and I have to say that looking at her I wouldn't be tempted to buy a dress. Too much surgery doesn't look good at daylight. Typical Monaco rich woman style if you desire to call it that way. But take a look for yourselves in the gallery part. She looks better on the pics then in reality, but the same goes for Tasha who seems to use the same surgeon. I suppose that Charlene already has his address...

I just found where Charlene got her fashion show outfit from. I believe that the beach volley outfit was the same outfitter.

Isabell Kristensen

Isabell Kristensen is a local designer/former model (like jiki who used to dress Steph). I've seen her a few times in real life and I have to say that looking at her I wouldn't be tempted to buy a dress. Too much surgery doesn't look good at daylight. Typical Monaco rich woman style if you desire to call it that way. But take a look for yourselves in the gallery part. She looks better on the pics then in reality, but the same goes for Tasha who seems to use the same surgeon. I suppose that Charlene already has his address...

Excellent work paca...
As a self-professed clotheshorse, Ms. Kristensen's work runs the gamut from lovely (Countess of Wessex in the red dress) to weird (the feathered pants) to streetwalker (the backless dress with strategically placed flowers). She needs to find a style and stick with it. I know that couture differs from runway to realway but some of her designs are a bit out there. I can understand Charlene wanting to "patronize" a Monaco-based designer but I think she could do better.

Isabell Kristensen

Thanks paca and great find.
These outfits are really hard looking unless Matisse was your guru in the Fauve movement.
It looks like Vivienne Westwood may possibly have been consulting with Irma La Douce .[which is what Vivienne likes to do anyway]
Never say never paca these dresses are powerful and can find you.
Not a Holy Golightly moment here.... but Wow anyway!
So that is Monaco style.....

Last edited:
Excellent work paca...
... I can understand Charlene wanting to "patronize" a Monaco-based designer but I think she could do better.
Thanks, but not entirely my credit. I was told that someone claimed Charlene employed a stylist (which I doubted due to her way of dressing inappropriately for the occasions) and her name was mentioned. I googled her site since I knew her and found a few of Charlenes recent outfits. I would apply the last label to most of the collection (persistent low neckline and show all you have style). I don't think that Charlene particularly chose her because she is a local designer (if I may abuse the word here, though it is not protected so anyone can label themselves designer). Since she is obviously not being assisted by Mme Gallico for reasons we do not know, Albert might have introduced them, as he happens to know her. People like that always lend their clothes to those who are likely to be photographed, so that's probably what happened here and that should also lift the veil a little about how she manages to pay for those clothes: she doesn't. I wouldn't be surprised if some others lend her sth too. Ichtys doesn't seem to have a site, but belongs to Alexandra Pastor whom ALbert also knows well (she is the wife of David Halliday, son of Sylvie Vartan and Johnny, and daughter of Monegasque billionaire Michel Pastor). So she might go there as well. Don't know whether Escada, chanel etc would also chip in. chanel probably not, but Escada wouldn't surprise me. On the other hand I don't think that she would wear it. maybe jiki, but that one clothes steph and we know that Chanel is Caros domain. And depending which rumour Lagerfeld spreads (he loves gossip) those who want Caro to buy their clothes, might be less inclined to lend some to Charlene....

So that is Monaco style.....
Let's say that is how a lot of women with money dress here. Unfortunetely people seem to know less ad less how to dress appropriately for the occasion. Also men. It seems to me that only the British seem to hold up certain dress traditions, though the female celebraties go with the general flow, but at least men don't tend to turn up at a gala wearing their work suits like Albert recently did. But when did we actually see him last wear tailcoat to a white tie event? he tends to wear white dinner jackets for those occasions...:rolleyes:

.......ouch....!

Well, great work (as usual) Paca!

Thanks for post these informations.

I take a look to the web site..
Except 2-3 outfits very pretty......I think that the rest is not a good style for a princess to be.
These dresses are too sexy...too las vegas stripper style.....

As we say in Italy ... VIVA VALENTINO, VIVA ARMANI!!!!! That is style.

;)

Isabell Kristensen

I looked at it and imo many of her designs look very, very sexy (almost like for a high priced call girl - no offense intended to anyone). Not a problem at all just that the emphasis for many of those outfits seems to really be the in your face hot mama sex appeal, rather than style, subtle sophistication, refinement, elegance and class.

But that's just my own humble opinion only - again, nothing wrong with it if that's the way some women want to dress themselves. If you got something, flaunt everything, as the saying goes.

Obviously the va-va-voom look suits some people's tastes, but I think a lady can dress artfully well, quite tastefully and still exude a whole lot of sex appeal - doen't have to dress smarmy and frumpy. It's all in a woman's attitude and self-confidence and taste (although for sure woman has to be very confident to wear some of those creations out in public with cameras everywhere).

But ok, I agree with paca - maybe Albert did give a call to someone to help CW, or maybe the lady just saw an opportunity for herself and called CW with the offer to give her some wardrobe :)

I guess CW probably knows she needs to compete with all those women who throw themselves at PA 24/7, so why take chances? Dress to keep him paying attention! :flowers:

Last edited:
I looked at it and many of her designs look very, very sexy (almost like for a high priced call girl - no offense intended to anyone). Not a problem at all just that the emphasis for many of those outfits seems to really be the in your face hot mama sex appeal, rather than style, subtle sophistication, refinement, elegance and class. But that's just my own humble opinion only - again, nothing wrong with it if that's the way some women want to dress themselves. If you got something, flaunt everything, as the saying goes.

Obviously the va-va-voom look suits some people's tastes, but I think a lady can dress artfully well, quite tastefully and still exude a whole lot of sex appeal - doen't have to dress smarmy and frumpy. It's all in a woman's attitude and self-confidence and taste (although for sure woman has to be very confident to wear some of those creations out in public with cameras everywhere).

But ok, I agree with paca - maybe Albert did give a call to someone to help CW, or maybe the lady just saw an opportunity for herself and called CW with the offer to give her some wardrobe :)

I guess CW probably knows she needs to compete with all those women who throw themselves at PA 24/7, so why take chances? Dress to keep him paying attention! :flowers:

I agree Lillia but Valentino might have had mercy on her soul since it's such a big year for him and done a Valentino make over. No one but no one would complain as he is one of the masters of couture and they would think that Charlene finally got with the program. I bet he would have helped had Albert asked. JMO

I know this probably doesn't go in this thread but I would like to know how do the girlfriends and fiances go about getting designer clothes.

I presume that the average girl who isn't a princess yet can't necessarily afford to buy designer outfits that are sometimes required for functions. Are they approached by the designers or do stylists get the clothes for them?

I don't know if Charlene buys her clothing or "loans" the outfits but if so I personally think that she could do much better than designers who dress people like Jordan. (Although I do realise that the designer dresses other well known people as well)
Does anyone know who designs the casual clothes she has worn?

Of course she isn't a princess yet - so I guess she can dress how she likes but there are South African designers (and other designers) who could offer her a better style of dressing.
For example:
www.kluk.co.za (Malcom Kluk and Christiaan du Toit), Marion and Lindie, Hilton Weiner & plenty of others but can't think right now, that is of course if she wanted to support South African designers.

Last edited:
Let's say that is how a lot of women with money dress here. Unfortunetely people seem to know less ad less how to dress appropriately for the occasion. Also men. It seems to me that only the British seem to hold up certain dress traditions, though the female celebraties go with the general flow, but at least men don't tend to turn up at a gala wearing their work suits like Albert recently did. But when did we actually see him last wear tailcoat to a white tie event? he tends to wear white dinner jackets for those occasions...:rolleyes:
Paca, as I was reading your comments it reminded me of a similar thought I had when I saw pictures of some of the women at another Monaco event last year - the Frankie Gala (the one where the women were hanging all over Albert). Then I remembered where I saw Charlene's purple corset dress. From Isabell's website, the purple halter was showcased in a 2003 collection fashion show. At the Franki Gala, another woman wore the same dress, but it just doesn't look as vulgar on her as on Charlene, perhaps because this lady has the strings tied up very tightly (or maybe I am just showing my bias). I can't remember who the lady is, but I remembered reading a caption of the picture and she was someone important in Monaco. Also, in the first picture it seems that the red dress is another one of Isabell's creation.
Purple halter1
Purple halter2
Purple halter3
Reminder of Charlene wearing halter

I think what it is for me is that I expect something better of the woman accompanying the head of state and Sovereign Prince to a function. So, it's not suffice for me to excuse Charlene's mentality toward her choice in attire because some other women in Monaco dress the same.

well said I agree with you Myadia.

In the first picture the woman with the red dress, is the italian gossip journalist Silvana Giacobini. And yes, you are right, that outfit looks like a isabelle creation. As I remember Silvana is a closer friend of Isabelle, and when she was director of Italian magazine "CHI", she dedicated 2-3 times very good articles to Isabelle sense of "glamour". :ermm:

Last edited:
Paca, as I was reading your comments it reminded me of a similar thought I had when I saw pictures of some of the women at another Monaco event last year - the Frankie Gala (the one where the women were hanging all over Albert). Then I remembered where I saw Charlene's purple corset dress. From Isabell's website, the purple halter was showcased in a 2003 collection fashion show. At the Franki Gala, another woman wore the same dress, but it just doesn't look as vulgar on her as on Charlene, perhaps because this lady has the strings tied up very tightly (or maybe I am just showing my bias). I can't remember who the lady is, but I remembered reading a caption of the picture and she was someone important in Monaco. Also, in the first picture it seems that the red dress is another one of Isabell's creation.
Purple halter1
Purple halter2
Purple halter3
Reminder of Charlene wearing halter

I think what it is for me is that I expect something better of the woman accompanying the head of state and Sovereign Prince to a function. So, it's not suffice for me to excuse Charlene's mentality toward her choice in attire because some other women in Monaco dress the same.

I see what you are saying - she's trying to fit in but then she's wearing a purple dress that was last year's? Maybe she got it for free in that case?
Also she either views herself or wants to be viewed as a sex symbol or at least as sexy as she thinks these other women must appear, in which case she has not learned what a lot of the true icons know, which is suggest sex don't show it. It was why Grace Kelly was fire and ice (a diamond) she dressed elegantly but projected something else with out coming across as overt. Most men want what they can't have and that is what an icon does so well. It also makes the men they are with appear more savoir faire as they have what everyone one else wants.

I see what you are saying - she's trying to fit in but then she's wearing a purple dress that was last year's? Maybe she got it for free in that case?..
As I mentioned aboved, this purple corset dress being worn at the Franki Gala on 13 Dec 2006 was in Isabell's fashion show in 2003 (June 5th in Monaco). So, the dress is at least 4 years old. I hope the one Charlene wore at the Amber Fashion show (during Grand Prix on 24 May 2007) is not the same dress being recyle. Thanks LadyMichelle for the information about the lady in the red dress. The red dress seems to be recycled also.

Isabell's dresses seem to get around in Monaco. Several of the dresses at the Amber Fashion show were Isabell's creations. So, maybe Charlene wanted to fit in with the models. It seems that Albert likes Isabell's creations (take a look at Albert at one of her shows). The black dress worn by the other lady next to Albert was worn in the Amber Fashion show. Here is a group picture at the Amber Fashion Show and here are some clips from Isabell's collection. I cannot even think of a polite name to describe these dresses. I hope Charlene look elsewhere for a gown for the Red Cross ball. I would hate to see her recycle one of those dresses.

Edit: Oh, here's a little tidbit that some may not find surprising. Here's a link to a website that has a short bio on Isabell and they give her a celebrity star rating of “D list
http://www.mynottinghill.co.uk/nottinghilltv/celebs&gossip-isabel-kristensen.htm

Last edited:
As I mentioned aboved, this purple corset dress being worn at the Franki Gala on 13 Dec 2006 was in Isabell's fashion show in 2003 (June 5th in Monaco). So, the dress is at least 4 years old. I hope the one Charlene wore at the Amber Fashion show (during Grand Prix on 24 May 2007) is not the same dress being recyle. Thanks LadyMichelle for the information about the lady in the red dress. The red dress seems to be recycled also.

Isabell's dresses seem to get around in Monaco. Several of the dresses at the Amber Fashion show were Isabell's creations. So, maybe Charlene wanted to fit in with the models. It seems that Albert likes Isabell's creations (take a look at Albert at one of her shows). The black dress worn by the other lady next to Albert was worn in the Amber Fashion show. Here is a group picture at the Amber Fashion Show and here are some clips from Isabell's collection. I cannot even think of a polite name to describe these dresses. I hope Charlene look elsewhere for a gown for the Red Cross ball. I would hate to see her recycle one of those dresses.

Edit: Oh, here's a little tidbit that some may not find surprising. Here's a link to a website that has a short bio on Isabell and they give her a celebrity star rating of “D list

Thanks MyAdia, Well I'm speechless! Yes let's hope we don't see one of these at the ball! At this point I'll take the mermaid dress from last year.

Latest fashion pics

In the latest photo shoot of Miss Wittsock we have series of five photos. I understand Miss Wittsock must be a stickler for minimalism because the absence of accessories bespeaks tomes.
The first photo is of the CW in a black imprinted dress that looks like a Leonard gown from the 1970's.It has a plunging neckline that is too suggestive and loud. The dress is alas demode.
The second photo is a smaller photo of CW's head in a turquoise top with descending pleats in the bustier as in the Paithan, Mughal style. This actually suits her as it gives volume to her bustline but the big black sunglasses[all black Ray Charles style from rim to rim] which have become the vogue nowadays are actually for blind people. I remember having had this discussion with Princess Grace many a time as she "always" wore tortoise rimmed sunglasses and never black as I do.In this photo the top becomes her but the sunglasses give a Jack Nicholson air about her.And these overpower and ruin the entire delicacy of the effect of the descending pleats.. so becoming....
The next photo in silver lame is so overpoweringly Esther Williams mermaid gown I had to look twice.Cw has an affinity for silver and gold lames and these actually do not suit her .Her glamorous pose is cold and does not exude warmth .Also she was photographed in an incorrect backround for a gown of that megawatt magnitude.
This is followed by CW in a fuschia halter top again with a decent photo of her face.Once again there are no accessories but there is an improved skin texture and hair colour.There is a Ceil Chapman[ favourite designer of Marilyn Monroe ] feeling to this photo as the subject looks vulnerable but also uncomfortable at least to me. JMO. The photo makes me want to say want to say quo vadis Miss Wittsock?
Finally sporting the straight and very linear black and white gown on the pool steps Cw again has no accessories;earrings; scarf;cuff bracelet ; pearl neclace ; pendant earrings ; handbag anything.
The gown is unbecoming and does nothing to empasize her figure but accentuate the vertical one dimensionless of a nothing gown. This neither flatters her face or figure and once again there does not appear to be a comb in sight.
I hope we get a nice surprise for the Ball when Miss Wittsock turns up.
All in all a mediocre demode tasteless uninspiring photo fashion shoot.
I hope this was Miss Wittsock in experimental mode and we will be happily surprised by her metamorphosis when she appears "tastefully" attired for the Red Cross Ball.
And then I will sign on an affidavit that my grandmother rode a motorcycle.JMO.
Let us be happily surprised.

Last edited:
In the latest photo shoot of Miss Wittsock we have series of five photos. I understand Miss Wittsock must be a stickler for minimalism because the absence of accessories bespeaks tomes.
The first photo is of the CW in a black imprinted dress that looks like a Leonard gown from the 1970's.It has a plunging neckline that is too suggestive and loud. The dress is alas demode.
The second photo is a smaller photo of CW's head in a turquoise top with descending pleats in the bustier as in the Paithan, Mughal style. This actually suits her as it gives volume to her bustline but the big black sunglasses[all black Ray Charles style from rim to rim] which have become the vogue nowadays are actually for blind people. I remember having had this discussion with Princess Grace many a time as she "always" wore tortoise rimmed sunglasses and never black as I do.In this photo the top becomes her but the sunglasses give a Jack Nicholson air about her.And these overpower and ruin the entire delicacy of the effect of the descending pleats.. so becoming....
The next photo in silver lame is so overpoweringly Esther Williams mermaid gown I had to look twice.Cw has an affinity for silver and gold lames and these actually do not suit her .Her glamorous pose is cold and does not exude warmth .Also she was photographed in an incorrect backround for a gown of that megawatt magnitude.
This is followed by CW in a fuschia halter top again with a decent photo of her face.Once again there are no accessories but there is an improved skin texture and hair colour.There is a Ceil Chapman[ favourite designer of Marilyn Monroe ] feeling to this photo as the subject looks vulnerable but also uncomfortable at least to me. JMO. The photo makes me want to say want to say quo vadis Miss Wittsock?
Finally sporting the straight and very linear black and white gown on the pool steps Cw again has no accessories;earrings; scarf;cuff bracelet ; pearl neclace ; pendant earrings ; handbag anything.
The gown is unbecoming and does nothing to empasize her figure but accentuate the vertical one dimensionless of a nothing gown. This neither flatters her face or figure and once again there does not appear to be a comb in sight.

I hope this was Miss Wittsock in experimental mode and we will be happily surprised by her metamorphosis when she appears "tastefully" attired for the Red Cross Ball.

Jaya - excellent commentary on the latest wardrobe experiments from CW

this is starting to remind me of a something...hmmmm, now let me see....

what are those character names? let's see...I think it was - oh yes, I know -- Pygmalion! :lol:

Pygmalion (mythology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pygmalion (play) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My Fair Lady - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia i suggest scroll down to the synopsis part

remember that story?

Last edited:

Thank you for providing such insightful commentary. Your eye for detail is much appreciated.

Pygmalion with Leslie Howard

Hi Lillia,
I hope CW turns up in a white evening gown with the train cut on the bias.[for the Red Cross Ball] like that of Wendy Hiller as Eliza in the 1938 version of Pygmalion which is my favourite and she does look resplendently timeless in that attire[for the embassy reception] my dear.

Perhaps there is a pic of the dress you're referring to (or something like it)?

Last edited:

I think this might answer Lady L's question. This is about where Charlene rates in this world. People are not knocking down many doors to see Charlene & there are not many A-list designers that are going to look to Charlene to promote their clothes or image. She so far does not have a style or image that a designer would be happy to loan her a dress - if she was someone else that might be not be the case, she needs to be someone they might want to cultivate a relationship with, right now she screams "wanna-be" if she wants any of these designers to help her out & be someone they might want to know I think she will have to a least wait until she has another status & even then, I don't know? I just do not see any of these designer's wanting to be personal friends with her & throwing any perks her way. Most have plenty of friends & other women to dress that would be more impressive for them to them to do so. She has not cultivated any of these relationships, not even with Lagerfield who is loyal to Caroline?

I am sure Albert is helping her out, but she does not seem to have much fashion taste or she would be able to do a lot with very little. Angelea Jolie wore a simple black dress to a premier, she bought at a vintage store for $28.00 last month, granted she is Angela Jolie. But she went for something simple & not a "look at me" dress, that Charlene always goes for, which I believe is a commentary on her true personality. She does not dress for style, but for attention.

Where Charlene is tall & has long legs, she still is not model material, which is pretty obvious in all these photo shots of her. She does not have it, which is not a comment on her beauty one way or another. I think she should stop promoting herself this way she only looks uncomfortable & cheesy in the photo fashion spreads? She looks better in candid shots, if there is such a thing with her.

I think that if there are many other SA fashion designers that might do a better job of dressing her, who are probably not so popular & might be more eager to dress her, tells me Charlene thinks she looks good & chooses to dress how she wants in a way she believes is appropriate???
She appears to like a D-list designer's style & that does not surprise me?
Jaya, I noticed the same with the heavy sunglasses. I was not impressed with the photos, or the clothes, or Charlene's modeling, but I need to take another look to really comment on them. So, I think I will do that first.

Perhaps there is a pic of the dress you're referring to (or something like it)?
Hi Lillia,
I am attempting to find an original photo from the movie to upload or a similar type gown.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom