Catherine Middleton's Fashion and Style Part 3: January 2011 - March 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dazzling

Former Moderator
City
-
Country
France
Welcome to
Catherine Middleton's Fashion and Style
Part 3
previous thread

Here are some important TRF
Community Rules & FAQ's

• In order to legally post copyrighted material, you must obtain written permission from the copyright owner.
  • No more than 20% of the text of an article can be posted, along with a link to the original article.
  • It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles.
  • Hotlinking of content from other websites is not permitted.
  • We expect our members to treat each other with respect.
  • Opinions should be backed up by reference to published reports.
  • Empty posts, that is posts that do not add or contribute to the discussion, will be deleted without notice.
If you have any questions, please contact a member of the moderating team.

Happy posting!:flowers:

Royal House of Fashion Moderators
Paty, JessRulz, iceflower &dazzling

Last edited:
I too have thought Kate looks thinner right now- IMO black for a winter wedding with colored pumps looked fine.

I just can't get over the uproar the "sheer" triangle is getting. She wore the same dress to Peter and Autumn's wedding, where she met the Queen. One might try and argue that the jacket was more concealing at the Phillips wedding, but when looking at the Hello! photos, she removed the jacket during the reception...

It would be one thing if she was wearing a sheer dress that revealed "everything," but this particular dress is very tastefully done, and she looks beautiful.

As for the color, I have worn black to many weddings, she looks classic. Judging by the photos the wedding was an early evening affair, typically when one might expect a cocktail affair, in which case the outfit is wonderfully suited.

Is there a picture of the sheer dress without the jacket?

Is there a picture of the sheer dress without the jacket?

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x257/randomly_keira/celebrities/Peter Autumn Wedding/132.jpg was posted by Soapstar in the previous thread.

Personally I dont think there isn't anything wrong in terms of too risque, showing too much skin or wearing black at a wedding. Especially if its a evening wedding. Kate is never going to please everyone...there will always be someone who finds fault with what she wears. I thought she looked lovely.

^none of the front without the jacket?

^none of the front without the jacket?

None of Kate in it...I'm searching and scouring, but since the dress is from ISSA's spring/summer 2007 collection, it's hard to locate.

I am surprised at the sheer blouse on "royalty" but I do not know what was under the blouse! For instance, some garments, such as a gown that Gwyneth Paltrow wore to the Oscars one year, look see-through but are not; they in fact have a skin-coloured lining!! Who knows?

Black has been my go-to color for weddings for at least 5 years, and I'm hardly what you'd call "fashion forward." Maybe this is a trend that hasn't made it across the pond, but I can't even imagine the press out here in California being in an uproar about it. There's funeral black, and there's festive black, and Kate's dress is definitely festive.

I don't like sheer on anyone. I also don't like black for a wedding. I think that she looks depressing like she did at Autumn and Peter's wedding. Kate looks much better in lighter colors. Maybe a dark purple dress would have been better. Like the hat though..it certainly beats the feather things she normally wears.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x257/randomly_keira/celebrities/Peter Autumn Wedding/132.jpg was posted by Soapstar in the previous thread.

Personally I dont think there isn't anything wrong in terms of too risque, showing too much skin or wearing black at a wedding. Especially if its a evening wedding. Kate is never going to please everyone...there will always be someone who finds fault with what she wears. I thought she looked lovely.

I didn't think it was risque at all. It's certainly an improvement from some other faux pas she's had since being William's girlfriend. I can't really tell how it is detailed at the back, whether it was a v backline all the way down near her butt or it was much higher up but it's certainly not that big of a deal from what I can see. I find her fashion sense sometimes to be absolutely atrocious and not befitting of someone who could be the future Queen but I think she's still young and have plenty of time to experiment with what looks right on her.

:previous: I think those other black dresses of Diana's were after her separation, when she had more freedom.

With regard to Kate's style, I am so glad I am not alone in really hating her overdone eye makeup! I, personally, don't like liner on the bottom lid on anyone (especially such a dark, sharp line - it makes the eye look so much smaller) and for some stupid reason it really bugs me when I see so much liner on her (and some pictures of Diana as well). I think Kate would look so much "fresher" with makeup on her upper lid, but nothing - or just a light brown shadow or smudged pencil - on the bottom lid.

On her dress style I kind of go back and forth. She has such a rocking, toned body and money (hers/her parents) that I think everything should look good on her but some choices just don't seem flattering or very stylish. You all had me cracking up on the previous thread talking about her well-worn boots and black pumps.

I also really wish she would do some different things with her hair! I think her face looks so much prettier with it pulled back.

Here's another article I didn't see posted (in the last 10 or so pages of thread #2) Royal Style: How Kate Compares to Diana. I'm not trying to bring up comparisons of the two, but it just has some pics of Kate that I hadn't seen in other places (#3, 7, 8).

p.s. I think I also read in some article about her younger years that she actually has curly hair! I'm sure it will never happen, but - assuming that it true - I'd love to see her with her natural hair instead of it always blown straight. I bet she could definitely start a trend there (of letting your natural curls come out).

Last edited:
Does anyone remember the dress which Diana wore for her first official post-engagement outing? She was criticized on exactly the same grounds that Kate is now being criticized: 1) Royals don't wear black except to funerals, and 2) Royals don't show that much skin (and this is considerably more skin than Kate showed).

Official Blog of Charlotte Dutton's Misticon Brand: That "daring" Princess Diana Dress Sold for 190k

It is a beautiful outfit, but it it too black to a wedding.
Also, I think the choice of dress was wrong, because the star of a wedding is the bride and despite all the attention being on Kate, she should have chosen another dress that would not draw much attention, because we're even now discussing whether she should have worn a black outfit at the wedding or not.

Diana never wore a black outfit in a wedding. In 03/1981, Diana wore a Emanuel black dress when she attends her first official engagement with Prince Charles and Princess Grace of Monaco at a fundraising concert at the Goldsmiths Hall. :flowers:
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

It is a beautiful outfit, but it it too black to a wedding.
Also, I think the choice of dress was wrong, because the star of a wedding is the bride and despite all the attention being on Kate, she should have chosen another dress that would not draw much attention, because we're even now discussing whether she should have worn a black outfit at the wedding or not.

Diana never wore a black outfit in a wedding. In 03/1981, Diana wore a Emanuel black dress when she attends her first official engagement with Prince Charles and Princess Grace of Monaco at a fundraising concert at the Goldsmiths Hall. :flowers:
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Also I think that the dress looked too much like an outfit you wear to a nightclub.

In regards to Diana's engagement dress, we never really saw another look like that on her again. I believe that she chose less risque outfits due to the criticism that she received and perhaps for the respect for the role that she was undertaking.

Kate Middleton beats Lady Gaga into second place as fashion buzzword

Prince William's bride-to-be, Kate Middleton, has de-throned Lady Gaga as the top fashion buzzword for the fashion season, according to a new survey.
A survey by the Texas-based Global Language Monitor of fashion buzz words and phrases in print, on the Internet, and in social media, ranked Miss Middleton top for the new US fashion season, which starts on February 10.

Lady Gaga, the singer, who is known as much for her striking outfits as her hit records, was pushed into second place in the annual survey.

"Sheer" - the trend for translucent fabrics - came in third place, followed by "shirt dresses", and "sustainable style," reflecting a growing trend of clothing made of recycled fabrics.

New York fashion week starts the international calendar of shows that includes London, Milan and Paris.

The words in the Global Language Monitor survey were chosen from the world fashion media, nominated by key fashionistas from around the world and tracked for their frequency and usage in English-speaking media outlets around the world.

Why would you want to buy a dress because Kate Middleton wore it?? Why would you buy a fake sapphire ring and change your hairstyle to look like Kate?? That has never made sense to me. It just shows me how many followers there are in the world.

My question is, if Royals aren't suppose to wear black to weddings why didn't William (or in Dianas case, Charles) just tell her that? I am going to assume it was a bigger deal to press/public then actual RF members

Oh, gosh. I'm glad Kate has demoted Lady gaga. However, IMO, Kate's fashion sense is non-existant. She wears what everyone else wears. Neither here nor there though, regarding the article.

The article merely states that Kate, herself, is mentioned most often. I'll buy that. It says nothing of her fashion sense.

Last edited:
I like what she wears usually, but then I'm not someone that likes particularly outlandish fashion-y things so probably just shows that Kate's fashion is safe & maybe a bit dull if I like it! :lol:

I think this whole fashion queen thing is being driven by the media & not by Kate though, she just seems to wear whatever she's always worn, she's not suddenly changed the way she dresses it seems or purposely gone out to prove some fashion point. And like you said she pretty much dresses like many "normal" people dress, there's nothing too crazy or unusual about the things she wears. Think it's mainly just media driven obsession with making her some fashion icon.

Totally agree. I also think she was just the cutest in the sheer black dress she wore to the wedding. Much more sophisticated than what others were wearing. I wear black to funerals, weddings, grocery shopping, to the dentist, to church, to parties, to the dermatologist, etc. Black is wonderful!!!

Why would you want to buy a dress because Kate Middleton wore it?? Why would you buy a fake sapphire ring and change your hairstyle to look like Kate?? That has never made sense to me. It just shows me how many followers there are in the world.

It's not so much as who has worn the dress, it's because the design is unique and you can get generic designs of it. These people create fashion - + you can get some wonderful ideas for your own wardrobe :)

Because sometimes people see pictures of well known people and like their dresses, shoes, eyeglasses, purses, etc. Its pretty much free advertisement for the merchant.

10 years ago, I would have worn a dress like that, and would have wanted to know who made it and if it was in my price range, and if so...I would have purchased it. I have seen designer shoes on celebrities and if it was something that I thought worked with my style and personality... I would certainly look for it the next time I was out shopping.

In regards to the hairstyles, there were tons of people in the past who had their hair remade to resemble Veronica Lake, Dorothy Hamill and Jennifer Anniston (the Rachel). I don't think its so much as being a follower is just liking a hairstyle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom