Catherine Middleton's Fashion and Style Part 3: January 2011 - March 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I made a statement about the non-matching boots and handbag (and so did someone else, with whom I heartily agree), I wanted to mention that she does have boots to match that handbag - and I like the look much better:

Young and posh Sloanes to drown their sorrows over Royal Wedding snub at their own 'Not Invited' party | Mail Online

Similar outfit in this tabloid piece, but matching boots and bag.

And no, I certainly wouldn't want to be scrutinized every time I went out, myself.

As to budget, well, the Prince could buy her a gift of a handbag now, couldn't he?

I agree a pair of Prada pumps and a matching bag would be delectable, but I'm not sure she has the budget for it (still, if it were me, I'd cut down somewhere else and spring for the Balenciaga or the Prada or even Fendi; I find the British bags uninspiring as well, but something needs to happen with the accessories).

If it is true, as rumored that she's already chosen House of Alexander McQueen (Sarah Burton) for her wedding dress, perhaps she could go outside the nation to get a handbag. I think a Louis Vuitton is a purely-status driven choice (except for their seasonal bags). Coach would surely be affordable but it says "middle class American" to me, not future princess.

Of course I'm highly biased toward Balenciaga, as you can see, and one can never go wrong with an Hermès bag, and i do think it would be worth the splurge as she could wear it for the rest of her life (but it, too, wouldn't necessarily be appropriate for the sporting type events). Bottega Veneta would also suit Kate's style and incorporate her liking for browns and blacks.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what she might choose in future.

Hermes I'll definitely agree on. But not too many middle class Americans walk around with $400 coach pureses, and that is a lower end one.

She wmay well have the budget, but I do hope she continues to largely use British designers. There are plenty of interesting UK based designers who she can support, without resorting to the larger French and Italian groups.

I understand using a Briths wedding designer, but why should she be restricted to British designers for the rest of her life? I don't think she needs to scream Brit every where she goes. She'll do enough for England without going 'oh I can't wear that it's not British'

She manages a simple ponytail better than any other kind of up do (I can relate; I can certainly do a ponytail nicely).

And I like this handbag better (although still...it looks a bit knock offy - anyone know what it is? I wouldn't know where to begin to ask on The Purse Forum). But, her color selections are, as usual, not particularly inspiring. And when I say I think brown and black can be done together, I once again don't mean in this way - she should have had a black handbag here.

Perhaps a ponytail, with her natural curls people keep talking about, instead of some tight traditional up do. It would be a nice compromise, and still look beautiful especially if she worse something delicate like the strathmore tiara, on her wedding day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hermes I'll definitely agree on. But not too many middle class Americans walk around with $400 coach pureses, and that is a lower end one.

Middle class Americans only have coach purses if they bought them at an outlet. :flowers:

I like the brown and black combo. I'm not too big on matchy match dressing. I also find it annoying to change my purse on a daily basis, because I always forget to transfer everything that I need. This brown purse looks like Kate's "everyday purse" and is very functional as she goes about her private daily life. Mulberry perhaps? She had one from them earlier.

Concerning handbags, it's Mulberry where it's at. It's British and they have awesome bags. Quite expensive though.
Miu Miu has great bags too. Or even Victoria Beckham, they are great. To not have it very expensive and still good quality and easy on the eyes, I'd suggest DKNY.

I think Chloe would suit her the best, but they are expensive. As the whole house is overpriced.

Kate with Mary of Denmark are my favorite royals. I adore their athletic and healthy figures. Is there any articles of what kate does on her daily workouts, which kind of diet...?

While I agree that Middleton theoretically shouldn't be restricted to British design only (I seem to recall the late Princess of Wales carrying at least one Fendi bag early in her marriage), in the current economic climate, she does have to be careful about the cost of her clothes and accessories, and buying British seems to me one way to mitigate inevitable criticism. Right now, she's wearing fairly reasonably priced clothes by designers who, if they are not British-born, work in the UK, and she's still the object of resentful comments. Somehow I think Balenciaga, Prada, and Bottega Veneta (or Louboutin for shoes, as someone suggested) wouldn't be diplomatic choices, from both a cost and origins point of view.

I've looked at clothiers on-line..where can I get the Euro-US conversion so I dont break the back?

Ideas? Suggestions?

Kate with Mary of Denmark are my favorite royals. I adore their athletic and healthy figures. Is there any articles of what kate does on her daily workouts, which kind of diet...?

There is an article in the new People magazine about her diet. The link below is to their special royal section. I didn't see it at the link but maybe if you search the site you may find it.

Prince William & Kate Middleton: A Royal Wedding : People.com

While I agree that Middleton theoretically shouldn't be restricted to British design only (I seem to recall the late Princess of Wales carrying at least one Fendi bag early in her marriage), in the current economic climate, she does have to be careful about the cost of her clothes and accessories, and buying British seems to me one way to mitigate inevitable criticism. Right now, she's wearing fairly reasonably priced clothes by designers who, if they are not British-born, work in the UK, and she's still the object of resentful comments. Somehow I think Balenciaga, Prada, and Bottega Veneta (or Louboutin for shoes, as someone suggested) wouldn't be diplomatic choices, from both a cost and origins point of view.

People don't criticize her for how much her clothes cost or where they come from, but how they look on her. Its not like she has to go shop in Milan or Paris for these items,nor does she need to fill her entire wardrobe with those clothes. But her buying a gown for say the queen's birthday, is not going to save the British economy.

Concerning handbags, it's Mulberry where it's at. It's British and they have awesome bags. Quite expensive though.
Miu Miu has great bags too. Or even Victoria Beckham, they are great. To not have it very expensive and still good quality and easy on the eyes, I'd suggest DKNY.

I think Chloe would suit her the best, but they are expensive. As the whole house is overpriced.

Im sorry but Beckham or Mulberry is where its at? Yes I am sure if a person had a choice between a Hermes or Louis vitton bag, and one by Beckham, they'd choose Beckham. Yes there are some great bag designers in the UK, but when it comes to Luxury bags, Beckham doesn't come close to Hermes.

I think Hermes is overrated, tbh. Quality is good, the bags are a classic but Hermes is Hermes. It's Parisian, let her have her outfits right before she starts carrying such a bag like the Birkin.

And besides, Mulberry is just as good quality-wise and design-wise as Hermes. Their bags have been favorites amongst celebs for years now.

melissaadrian, I've seen a large number of grumbling complaints about Middleton's ability to spend several hundred pounds on a dress. My point is that several hundred pounds spent on a dress or expensive purse by a non-British designer could -- and I guarantee it, would -- elicit even more complaints.

By the way, I just saw Daniella Helayel of Issa interviewed on US television. When asked what sort of wedding dress she thought Middleton would wear, she really squirmed and replied, "I don't want to talk about wedding dress, please." The interviewer clearly jumped to the conclusion that she might be the designer. I've no idea, but her reaction to the question certainly was interesting.

It seems as if Kate Middleton will become a fashion icon in Britain and will dress fashionably just like princess Diana and other royal princesses.

It seems as if Kate Middleton will become a fashion icon in Britain and will dress fashionably just like princess Diana and other royal princesses.

We would certainly hope so. She can look to Diana and to Princess Mary of Denmark for inspiration. IMO, people to avoid for guidance might be Princess Maxima and the York women!

Last edited:
clothes

I've been wondering if Kate must wear only British designers... Is that a rule about that? Do you think people will make a big deal if she wears brands like Chanel, Dior or Lanvin?

I've been wondering if Kate must wear only British designers... Is that a rule about that? Do you think people will make a big deal if she wears brands like Chanel, Dior or Lanvin?

IMO, whilst there is no hard and fast ruless, most British people would like Catherine to primarily wear British designers, or those from other commonwealth countries if the occassion warrants. She could, on occassion, wear foreign labels, but those should be an exception rather than the norm.

I hope she wears some Chanel. I think it would look great on her. Maybe if they ever visit France. ;)
Also I can't wait to see her in a tiara. Which one do you think she will chose?
I'm reallly hope is not the Cambridge Knot.
I'm secretly wishing for the Fife Tiara. To me its the most beautiful one.

Is the Papyrus tiara available? I like it, because it's unusual and a little more modest than some of the others. If I were a young woman unaccustomed to wearing tiaras, I think a relatively modest tiara would be my choice for a first experience.

I hope she wears some Chanel. I think it would look great on her. Maybe if they ever visit France. ;)
Also I can't wait to see her in a tiara. Which one do you think she will chose?
I'm reallly hope is not the Cambridge Knot.
I'm secretly wishing for the Fife Tiara. To me its the most beautiful one.

There is a thread dedicated to discussing potential tiara's and jewellery for Catherine.

She is unlikely to wear the Fife tiara as AFAIK, it is in the possession of the Fife family.

Is the Papyrus tiara available? I like it, because it's unusual and a little more modest than some of the others. If I were a young woman unaccustomed to wearing tiaras, I think a relatively modest tiara would be my choice for a first experience.

Unlikley. AFAIK, the Papyrus is in the owned by children of Princess Margaret, and was used by Serena Stanhope when she married David.

You're right, the Papyrus Tiara is beautiful. And it looks beautiful on. I would be a good idea to start small, the Fife Tiara is quite opulent.
But can she chose a tiara to wear and then change later on or is she only allowed one tiara?

IMO, whilst there is no hard and fast ruless, most British people would like Catherine to primarily wear British designers, or those from other commonwealth countries if the occassion warrants. She could, on occassion, wear foreign labels, but those should be an exception rather than the norm.

It is tradition for the wedding, but no tradition after the wedding. It is your hope perhaps. But other members of the royal family have worn foreign designers.

But can she chose a tiara to wear and then change later on or is she only allowed one tiara?

There are no specific rules, it is up to HM to decide how many tiaras and what other jewels Catherine is priovided access to.

It is tradition for the wedding, but no tradition after the wedding. It is your hope perhaps. But other members of the royal family have worn foreign designers.

You may find I suggested that there are no hard and fast rules, and whilst members of the BRf do wear foreign labels, these are by exception rather than the rule. My own personal hopes and aspirations are not really something that we will be discussing on these forums.

melissaadrian, I've seen a large number of grumbling complaints about Middleton's ability to spend several hundred pounds on a dress. My point is that several hundred pounds spent on a dress or expensive purse by a non-British designer could -- and I guarantee it, would -- elicit even more complaints.

By the way, I just saw Daniella Helayel of Issa interviewed on US television. When asked what sort of wedding dress she thought Middleton would wear, she really squirmed and replied, "I don't want to talk about wedding dress, please." The interviewer clearly jumped to the conclusion that she might be the designer. I've no idea, but her reaction to the question certainly was interesting.

It's not like she has to go to Paris or Italy to buy the clothes. Channel, and other designers can be found in London as well. You can buy them in North America. And while maybe not for every day, no one is going to expect the wife of Prince William to wear a 100 pound dress to a royal charity ball or something. They will expect a designer gown and jewels, even in this climate. If she wore some cheap 100 pound gound, the talk would be even worse. So why not once and a while a nice foreign designer? And handbags, you don't need 1 for every outfit. Matchy matchy is not fashionable any more. A few classic designer hand bags, which could be paired with almost anything, is not about to break the bank.

Middle class Americans only have coach purses if they bought them at an outlet. :flowers:

That is an incorrect statement.:confused: I've been using the same 3 Coach bags for 25 years. I saved up for them and they were worth every penny at Macys.

Kate will have lots of handbags, from lots of different designers, in years to come. However, the brown slouchy thing seems to have lived it's life and needs to be either passed on to charity or replaced.

It's not like she has to go to Paris or Italy to buy the clothes. Channel, and other designers can be found in London as well. You can buy them in North America. And while maybe not for every day, no one is going to expect the wife of Prince William to wear a 100 pound dress to a royal charity ball or something. They will expect a designer gown and jewels, even in this climate. If she wore some cheap 100 pound gound, the talk would be even worse. So why not once and a while a nice foreign designer? And handbags, you don't need 1 for every outfit. Matchy matchy is not fashionable any more. A few classic designer hand bags, which could be paired with almost anything, is not about to break the bank.

I agree people are not oging to expect Catherine to shop at Primark or Asda for her clothes, but they will certainly appreciate her extensively recycling her wardrobe - just as the Duchess of Cornwall and other royal ladies do.

I agree, a few classic handbags would work well for Catherine - again, Camilla and the other ladies always seem to use a small selection of bags extensively, often for years. Catherine being younger and potentially trendier can rely on a a wider selection to stay up to date, but she will very much expected to be an unofficial ambassador for British couture and fashion. London has a vibrant fashion scene, and London Fashion Week has really come a long way, Catherine will almost certainly be expected to support a lot of upcoming talent from there, rather than primarily relying on established European names.

You're right, the Papyrus Tiara is beautiful. And it looks beautiful on. I would be a good idea to start small, the Fife Tiara is quite opulent.

I am still hoping for the strathmore, a nice honor to Prince William's great grandmother. Or perhaps go to his other great grandmother, and wear the Greek key? It was a gift from Princess Alice to Elizabeth though I believe only Anne has worn it in public.

I must have missed the Coach comment...what an interesting statement to say the least. Making an assumption about a whole country. Like KittyAtlanta, I have several Coach bags...some I have been given as gifts, won in sales contests, purchased at the Coach outlet or a regular store. I must admit that I ususally purchase my bags at the regular store when I get my Coach coupon. But hey...thats cause I am thrifty.

I don't think its a mantra that Kate should and will wear British fashion. But its is expected as Princess of the United Kingdom to support British fashion. Much like Mary in Denmark, Maxima in the Netherlands, etc.

I am sure once she starts her foreign trips.......she will break out with the foreign designers.

I am still hoping for the strathmore, a nice honor to Prince William's great grandmother. Or perhaps go to his other great grandmother, and wear the Greek key? It was a gift from Princess Alice to Elizabeth though I believe only Anne has worn it in public.

Yeah, I think Anne has claimed the Greek Key. I would rather see Kate wearing a tiara that hasn't been seen in recent years. Does anyone has a picture of someone wearing the Fife tiara?

P.S. I know this is not the place to discuss this, but i wonder if Zara will wear the Greek Key on her wedding, since it has been assossiated with Anne for so long...

I must have missed the Coach comment...what an interesting statement to say the least. Making an assumption about a whole country. Like KittyAtlanta, I have several Coach bags...some I have been given as gifts, won in sales contests, purchased at the Coach outlet or a regular store. I must admit that I ususally purchase my bags at the regular store when I get my Coach coupon. But hey...thats cause I am thrifty.

I don't think its a mantra that Kate should and will wear British fashion. But its is expected as Princess of the United Kingdom to support British fashion. Much like Mary in Denmark, Maxima in the Netherlands, etc.

I am sure once she starts her foreign trips.......she will break out with the foreign designers.
I don't think the problem would be for people if she wears foreign designers, but take Hermes, The Birkin. That ain't a bag you could just get, it used to have a waiting list. And it's expensive. The Chanel 2.55 is atleast 2500 euros, if not more, because they upgraded the price. Considering most British people's chagrin over the BRF and the tax, I doubt the Brits would appreciate it all that much. But hey, she will probably get send stuff. If designers want their designs to be an it-item, just let the future Princess wear it. Sold out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom