Catherine Middleton's Fashion and Style Part 3: January 2011 - March 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish she'd just be given some Louboutin pumps. Those she's wearing are grandma.

Kate looks lovely. I like her hair up. Nice jacket and shoes. I think that the jacket is the same that she wore when went out to lunch with the Duchess of Cornwall

"Daily Mail": The Kate effect: Her impact on fashion is huge (and she's not even a princess yet!)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...li-twinset-caused-stampede.html#ixzz1GZ8Jck56

Last edited:
I like her more and more since seeing appearances from when the engagement has been announced. Her skin seems clearer and shinier as if their were an eternal spring flowing through her body's face. Also those eyes that peer strikingly or lovingly through, leave me happy and assured that there is more. Such beautiful eyes. I must say. I wish her all the best and I just can't wait for forever after. It is a fairytale I've been witnessing. Great. I hope they shine through like no other. I'm very surprised. What a majestical model.

I really like Kate the more I see of her, but I agree with Susanna Wynne, her skin generally does look older and less youthful looking.

I love Kate's style :)
I have a few of her pieces such as the Issa dress, Reiss dress, and hope earrings.
I really like the trench coat but its sold out :(

Does anyone know what Middleton wore to the ballet the other night? She attended with Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall.

I like that Kate wears items she obviously has purchased for utility, comfort and versatility, while still looking the part of the Prince's fiancée. As the years go by, I'm sure she'll acquire new camel-colored shoes (but hopefully not anything as overly trendy and pricey as Louboutins for daytime outings, especially to sporting events.

I like the black tights and ankle boot look, she doesn't need to have sparkly shoes or accessories.

As for brown and black (or black and navy), I think these are great color combinations for the right person. I think these color combinations show adventurousness, lightness and elegance all at once (although handbags in the right colors help carry the look off). I think Kate should review her handbag selection, and add to it (as well as her shoe collection). But if she had camel/black shoes and handbag with that one outfit, it would have pulled it together.

Still, I think keeping her clothes budget on the lower side and showing that she uses/reuses things is a great way to build style for oneself, while still keeping in touch with the rest of us Earthlings.

I like that Kate wears items she obviously has purchased for utility, comfort and versatility, while still looking the part of the Prince's fiancée. As the years go by, I'm sure she'll acquire new camel-colored shoes (but hopefully not anything as overly trendy and pricey as Louboutins for daytime outings, especially to sporting events.

I like the black tights and ankle boot look, she doesn't need to have sparkly shoes or accessories.

As for brown and black (or black and navy), I think these are great color combinations for the right person. I think these color combinations show adventurousness, lightness and elegance all at once (although handbags in the right colors help carry the look off). I think Kate should review her handbag selection, and add to it (as well as her shoe collection). But if she had camel/black shoes and handbag with that one outfit, it would have pulled it together.

Still, I think keeping her clothes budget on the lower side and showing that she uses/reuses things is a great way to build style for oneself, while still keeping in touch with the rest of us Earthlings.

Different strokes for different folks. To me her brown/black combos make her look color blind or it has the ability to cut her half. I feel like she needs more help in the add-on department. Black shoes do not go well with light colors. For example: the time she wore the long pink dress with the black shoes to boodle boxing event. The list could go on and on.

Different strokes for different folks. To me her brown/black combos make her look colour blind or it has the ability to cut her half. I feel like she needs more help in the add-on department. Black shoes do not go well with light colours. For example: the time she wore the long pink dress with the black shoes to boodle boxing event. The list could go on and on.
Unfortunately the winter colours were all monochromes tones. Boring and not very flattering. I guess the style was in the cut but, most women try to spice it up not very effectively with accessories.

Now me? I'd love to see her dressed in the great red coat and black hat she wore to William's Passing Out Parade at Sandhurst. Much nicer, and much more feminine than the utilitarian styles that seem to be all the high fashion rage. I see why she is shopping "down" rather than high fashion.

Kate Middleton Style for Less - iVillage

That look was easier to coordinate than the more complicated and boring high fashion on offer. Come to think of it, I thought her hat was magnificent and really framed her face in a way that no "fascinator" ever could. The same goes for the other "hat" events shown here. Those with a hat looked great whilst those later events where she wore a more "fashionable" fascinator, look sort of messy letting her hair fly all over her face, which spoils the effect.

Sorry, but black and brown combinations are not a problem -- and not evidence of color-blindness. That's one issue that really ISN'T an issue. I could point you to dozens of outfits, worn by very chic women over the decades, that involved such combinations. My mother, for example, has an old late 40's Dior New Look black skirt and pale caramel-brown fitted jacket made to go with it. It's to die for. I wish I could wear it, but my mother is leaving it to a museum.

As for black shoes worn with the pink dress -- well, that was a few years ago, wasn't it? I really don't think Middleton can be heavily criticized for this. She was about 26, probably didn't have an enormous shoe wardrobe like many young women her age, and still looked better than most. Are we really going to nitpick about what she wore back then as differentiated from what she's wearing now and in the future?

If I were Kate, I would spend on accessories (and that's me looking back on 29-year-old me: same advice - not so much practicality, a bit more style in accessories).

I'm telling you, a handbag is key here. Winter or not, there are some fabulous bags out there that would say volumes in terms of style (I'm a fan of Balenciaga myself, but there are so many others - she should showcase the best of British handbag design...and there are quite a few contenders).

Just one handbag, Kate! (If you're reading...)

If I were Kate, I would spend on accessories (and that's me looking back on 29-year-old me: same advice - not so much practicality, a bit more style in accessories).

I'm telling you, a handbag is key here. Winter or not, there are some fabulous bags out there that would say volumes in terms of style (I'm a fan of Balenciaga myself, but there are so many others - she should showcase the best of British handbag design...and there are quite a few contenders).

Just one handbag, Kate! (If you're reading...)

If she wants to make a statement with handbags, sorry but Brit? Stella McCartney, McQueen? No. Statement would be yor personal favorite balenciaga, or Guci, Louis Vitton, coach.

But accessories definitely make the outfit. And no matchy matchy, camel dress with camel shoes and such. Little black dress calls for a spicy pair of prada red pumps, perhaps a red clutch to.

When I saw video of that event, it seemed that Kate was holding her bag in an awkward way when she arrived--like she was hiding a stain or something. Did anyone else notice that?

Now me? I'd love to see her dressed in the great red coat and black hat she wore to William's Passing Out Parade at Sandhurst.

Last edited:
I agree a pair of Prada pumps and a matching bag would be delectable, but I'm not sure she has the budget for it (still, if it were me, I'd cut down somewhere else and spring for the Balenciaga or the Prada or even Fendi; I find the British bags uninspiring as well, but something needs to happen with the accessories).

If it is true, as rumored that she's already chosen House of Alexander McQueen (Sarah Burton) for her wedding dress, perhaps she could go outside the nation to get a handbag. I think a Louis Vuitton is a purely-status driven choice (except for their seasonal bags). Coach would surely be affordable but it says "middle class American" to me, not future princess.

Of course I'm highly biased toward Balenciaga, as you can see, and one can never go wrong with an Hermès bag, and i do think it would be worth the splurge as she could wear it for the rest of her life (but it, too, wouldn't necessarily be appropriate for the sporting type events). Bottega Veneta would also suit Kate's style and incorporate her liking for browns and blacks.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what she might choose in future.

PrincessKaimi said:
I agree a pair of Prada pumps and a matching bag would be delectable, but I'm not sure she has the budget for it.

She'll have the budget for it in the future I am sure.....

She'll have the budget for it in the future I am sure.....

She wmay well have the budget, but I do hope she continues to largely use British designers. There are plenty of interesting UK based designers who she can support, without resorting to the larger French and Italian groups.

Sorry, but black and brown combinations are not a problem -- and not evidence of color-blindness. That's one issue that really ISN'T an issue. I could point you to dozens of outfits, worn by very chic women over the decades, that involved such combinations. My mother, for example, has an old late 40's Dior New Look black skirt and pale caramel-brown fitted jacket made to go with it. It's to die for. I wish I could wear it, but my mother is leaving it to a museum.

As for black shoes worn with the pink dress -- well, that was a few years ago, wasn't it? I really don't think Middleton can be heavily criticized for this. She was about 26, probably didn't have an enormous shoe wardrobe like many young women her age, and still looked better than most. Are we really going to nitpick about what she wore back then as differentiated from what she's wearing now and in the future?

If it was just the one time then I would agree with you but she does it a lot. As for her wardrobe if she can afford/strike up a relationship with Issa then she can pay for some matching shoes.

Her hair looks nice here!

agree. Hoping for a hairdo for the wedding day

If it was just the one time then I would agree with you but she does it a lot. As for her wardrobe if she can afford/strike up a relationship with Issa then she can pay for some matching shoes.

Much rather see her in that old boots and black shoes than those crazy Kardashians-Lady Gaga pumps, In 5 years people will look at this pictures and realise. WTH!

Last edited by a moderator:
Much rather see her in those old boots than those crazy Kardashians-Lady Gaga pumps, In 5 years people will look at this pictures and realise. WTH!

Good point:lol:! No six inch heels please. I don't want to see pictures of her falling flat on her face with her clothes flying around. I would be embarrassed for her!

She manages a simple ponytail better than any other kind of up do (I can relate; I can certainly do a ponytail nicely).

And I like this handbag better (although still...it looks a bit knock offy - anyone know what it is? I wouldn't know where to begin to ask on The Purse Forum). But, her color selections are, as usual, not particularly inspiring. And when I say I think brown and black can be done together, I once again don't mean in this way - she should have had a black handbag here.

If I compare Kate's style with people around me I would say she is doing very well, but then when I compared to some of the royalty and celebs out here I think, "she could use something more fashion-forwarded"

But I really believe she will do us proud, maybe she won't be too edgy, but who knows? perhaps, just perhaps, it's not her style; much worse than seeing some one looking boring, is looking someone with a outfit that doesn't suit their personality.
I see some pictures of current European crown princesses pre-marriage, and honestly, not that great! and then seeing them now, WOW,
well that's what happen when you get to have a Wardrobe Budget, I guess!

Thats a lovely fitted jacket, great color. Nice to see her hair in a ponytail, looks quite nice.

The article & posts discussing Zara Phillips & Kate's similar style has been moved to the
Royal ladies and their similar or same style - Part 2
thread

So looks like I'm the only one who doesn't like this Outfit lol. Liked the brown-black-combo she wear at the lunch much more than this boring outfit. The boots and the blazer are quite nice but the brown bag doesn't match the rest of the outfit at all, IMO. Overall it's not that bad but quite boring and the bag isn't good. She'd better go with a black bag matching her black boots or even better: a colourfull bag which would make the whole look much more interesting. I mean she doesn't have to overstyle when she's out of the house just because she's wills bride-to-be, but she knows that from now on she can't make a step outside without a bunch of paparazzis following her, so IMO she has to care more about the outfit she wears than a normal woman going to the grocery store. I don't mind if she stays simple with boots and jeans, but a little more trendy an interesting pieces (assecoires etc) would grade up the look. I still don't like her hairs up in a ponytail, she has beautiful hair and IMO it looks the best when she's having them down. Overall I have to say I'm a huge Kate-Fan. I love most of the pieces she wears and she seems to be very down-to-earth and nice and I wish her all the best :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom