Catherine Middleton's Fashion and Style Part 3: January 2011 - March 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister said they were going crazy over her dresses on the Today show. I thought they were just trying to promote their coverage of the wedding. I'm almost speechless that women here are clamoring for her dresses. I don't find anything special about them...especially for the price. :ermm:

Thank you :flowers: I can see that they don´t have it in my size :sad:

Find a seamtress and have one made for you. When Anne Hathaway spoofed Kate on Saturday Night Live they couldn't get the dress so the SNL seamtress bought fabric and made one...looked just like the original.

Well, perhaps I will... It´s a really lovely dress and if the fabric is right, then it would be a lovely summerdress

I want that dress in size US 4 or 6 and cant find it anywhere. Anyone here know where I can buy the blue Issa dress?

(My original posting was about the Reiss dress).

Again Muriel..with the laughter.

Personally, while I agree that Kate (as of yet) is no stye icon and its a bit early to label her one. I am going to go with the old adage if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing.

If VW is not desigining the Kate's wedding gown, just say I am not and move on. TO me it looks like she is at the age when her filter is gone and whatever is in her head comes out of her mouth or she is looking for press (which I kind of doubt).

Frankly, VW and what we know of Kate's style don't seem to mesh. VW is more of Helena Bohnam Carter and Kate Middleton is Catherine Walker/Issa. And I also think that Emma Watson is a bit out of her style league. Instead of being rude, she should be flattered and happy that people enjoy her work.

But it is the first time, that I have agreed with a majority of the DM posters. Which is pretty scary to me.:ohmy:

Well, Vivienne Westwood hasn't said anything I'd consider to be rude.
I think regarding Kate's style she is spot on here. Kate needs to improve, IMO.

I am amused that the woman who is dressed like a satin bag lady, has a comment about anyone's style.

Kate has a very classic style IMO. She favors clothes that will stand the test of time versus trends. It may be considered boring to someone like Vivienne Westwood but Kate isn't a fashion model for us to dress up and walk up & down the runway.

And I like Kate's style. :flowers:

Well, Vivienne Westwood hasn't said anything I'd consider to be rude.
I think regarding Kate's style she is spot on here. Kate needs to improve, IMO.

I am sorry but her actual quote:

"I would have loved to have dressed Kate Middleton but I have to wait until she kind of catches up a bit somewhere with style,’ she said."

Read more: 'Kate Middleton's no style queen': Vivienne Westwood's gives her verdict on Prince William's fiancee | Mail Online

Is a bit rude. Its worth noting that "style" is subjective and a manner of personal taste. While I do think its a bit early to call Kate a style icon, and she has hits and misses with what she wears....VW's statement is rude nonetheless and a bit uncalled for. She could have simply said....I don't know her, or I haven't been consulted for any clothes, or based on what I see (or know) or our styles are a bit different.

Based on what Kate has worn in the past, I would hazard a guess that she wouldn't be wearing VW any time soon. VW's style is more Princess Gloria TNT from the 80's.

I am sorry but her actual quote:

"I would have loved to have dressed Kate Middleton but I have to wait until she kind of catches up a bit somewhere with style,’ she said."

Read more: 'Kate Middleton's no style queen': Vivienne Westwood's gives her verdict on Prince William's fiancee | Mail Online

Is a bit rude. Its worth noting that "style" is subjective and a manner of personal taste. While I do think its a bit early to call Kate a style icon, and she has hits and misses with what she wears....VW's statement is rude nonetheless and a bit uncalled for. She could have simply said....I don't know her, or I haven't been consulted for any clothes, or based on what I see (or know) or our styles are a bit different.

Based on what Kate has worn in the past, I would hazard a guess that she wouldn't be wearing VW any time soon. VW's style is more Princess Gloria TNT from the 80's.
I used to like VW and her gothic style,but it was a poisonous affirmation without no base.Some time ago people thought that she could be a designer of Kate's wedding dress.Maybe her words are revenge for not choosing her as a wedding designer.

I think VW is a good at what she does. She obviously has a fan base of people who like her style. I wouldnt' wear it but that doesn't mean I look down on it. In fact, she would probably look at me and say I have no style!

I agree with VW, although I may be a bit biased as I rather love Vivienne. I don't think its rude either, there seems to be an expectation that Kate will become some sort of fashion queen and that can be directly traced to Diana. Kate dresses very elegantly and classic but always keeps in mind modern trends. She looks nice, but never amazing and is no where near being a style queen. Which is perfectly fine if you ask me, I wldn't mind a more glamorous Kate but I'm quite fine with the fashion route she is on know. Also, I agree with VW on Emma Watson. Just cause you follow the trend and cut your hair short and wear pretty dresses people tell you to wear does not make you a style icon. This is where I have to give Kate credit, she seems to be good at putting peices together on her own. The shows a natural knack for looking nice.

Last edited:
As everyone has an own definition of stylish, I agree with Zonk, VW should have said nothing. Saying that someone, who has a different style than you, is unstylish, is quiet pompous. IMO :)

A better reading could lead to better understanding. Vivienne Westwood is an artist, a Master. When such people speak, the world becomes richer. She simply could not have felt jealousy or seek revenge, because she wouldn't want to dress Kate in the first place. Vivienne has earned the right to pick her clients, when Kate is ready and sophisticated enough, as far as real style goes, VW will accept her in her atelier. She's in the know, not rude. There is much difference.

Vivienne Westwood is a fashion designer. It is her job. If anyone is entitled to criticise Middleton's style, then it would be somebody like Vivienne. Much ado about nothing here.

Last edited:
I don't see why Kate would want to wear anything by VW.

Vivien Westwood is a fashion designer. It is her job. If anyone is entitled to criticise Middleton's style, then it would be somebody like Vivien. Much ado about nothing here.

Opinions like styles are subjective. In a discussion forum those who wish to discuss something are welcome to do so (both positive and negative) and those who don't don't.

In regards to VW being able to criticize --- I agree to a point. A good designer/lawyer/writer (anyone) who is one who has the ability to be objective. She might not have the same style as Kate (which is pretty obvious) but she recognizes that and is constructive in her criticism.Now if she was a fashion editor/writer...I would agree with the comment somewhat. I dont see that with VW...she is not objective. I wonder if she will do a roundabout in a couple of days and come out with the apology (i.e. Charlotte Church, Diane Von Furstenberg, etc.)

I still don't find it rude at all. A few years ago, Karl Lagerfeld and Wolfang Joop said that for them Heidi Klum is not a real model because a) she is too fat, b) too ordinary and c) she looks old. In addition they said that they don't get it why she is successful, which sounded more or less green-eyed to me :D. This comments could be regarded as rude. But Westwood who states that in her opinion Kate Middleton has no style yet? Not that cruel. I don't want to convince you, just saying.

Last edited:
@Lucrezia I would expect that from Karl but never from Joop. Karl, oh he's been really absent-minded lately, que terrible! Last time I visited him, he forgot my name, then he fed my petite Doris chocolate cookies, although I had told him she could get blinded from chocolate. Anyway, Vivienne's statements is another story, she has the right to judge people with no or average or bad style. If she doesn't deserve to have that right, then I really don't know who does. Farewell!

Vivienne Westwood is a fashion designer. It is her job. If anyone is entitled to criticise Middleton's style, then it would be somebody like Vivienne. Much ado about nothing here.

i disagree, it is her job to design, not to criticize. all i know about fashion is what is comfortable and what isnt. if its comfortable then it looks good, if it isnt comfortable then it is ugly. :) how am i doing? as long as catherine feels good about herself and william likes her and her clothes, who can really complain? she will never be able to please everyone all the time.

I am sorry but her actual quote: "I would have loved to have dressed Kate Middleton but I have to wait until she kind of catches up a bit somewhere with style,’ she said."

I see Vivian Westwood as a artist who paints with fabric on the human body. Some of her designs are beautiful, but truly what royal uses her for clothes?

I could see Catherine in one of her gown that are more traditional. To me Catherine has been on a budget for her clothes. I am waiting till she is a royal to decide her fashion sense. With her fashion model figure it should be fun to watch. I hope she starts wearing more jewelry too.

I think for a designer to say what Ms Westwood said is that she is inviting Catherine to see her in a new light. I think she is sounds arrogate, but maybe she was hurt that Catherine did not chose her for the wedding dress.

^I agree.She made an awful and strongly worded statement..So unless Kate Middleton goes the Helena Bohnam Carter way VW won't dress her..Big deal.She has been really weird and rude lately.Kate seems to have a conservative style but she has a killer body and she can ''support'' almost everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom