Catherine Middleton's Fashion and Style Part 3: January 2011 - March 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm afraid that Kate looked good on both days because it was a slow week.

I don't like Kate's clothes usually, she wears the same colours over and over and doesn't seem to know what's good for her. But last week, she looked stunning. In my eyes, a perfect transformation to show that she knows that she needs to change.

It is just wrong, she should be wearing nice heels, a la Christian Louboutin. The military-style coat is completely outdated, the red skirt-suit needed a glamorous fascinator and not the previous outfit, the eye make-up is just wrong and connotes origin from the lower masses.

1; If she goes from wearing ordinary clothes to high fashion she will be torn apart by her critics. That is not what she needs right now.
2; What does eye-make up have to do with coming from lower classes? Ridiculous.
3; Completely out-dated, military coats are very in, in the UK. It suits Kate very nicely.
4; Glamour is for celebrities, elegance is for royalty - exactly what Kate accomplished in my mind.

I would encourage Miss Middleton to seek her own personal style, instead of poorly copying Princess Diana's style

Oh this made me chuckle, Catherine looks the complete opposite of her ill dressed dead (what would have been) mother in law, IMO.

but it is worth trying her best from now on.

That is exactly what she did, the outfits she wore were nothing like the ones she wore before her engagement. :flowers:

Lumutqueen said:
That is exactly what she did, the outfits she wore were nothing like the ones she wore before her engagement. :flowers:

And yet they were all from her closet,so it does beg the question, why not wear such things before? (aside from the one coat which she did wear but shortened this time) Or did she feel it unnecesary since she was technically a private citizen? So, which is her style true style before, after or both?

The red suit, to me, immediatly made me think, did she borrow this from her mother? Not criticizing just saying-

Last edited:
They were all from her closet? Has she worn them before or did I miss something?

Kate has gone from being a woman to a princess; her clothes have to change. She cannot wear what she wants now, she cannot wear that see through dress or that roller skating outfit.

Oh, I seriously doubt she had all these things in her closet before. Nor did she need to. Since the engagement, she is moving steadily toward official duties and one of her key tasks, during this time, is to find an official way of dressing - as a princess.

It would be absurd and pretentious to do one's princess style before the engagement. Her clothes do have to change (just as mine do, as I get older). Kate is also approaching 30, which for me, was a style-changing event in and of itself (although I didn't make as much of it as some people do).

I haven't changed my style much since I was 30, but it's time for me to do so. I love watching how Queen Mum changed her style over the years (and what an influence she was on her daughter). Queen Elizabeth II has so many people and a generous budget to meet her own fashion needs, Kate can't possibly have as much assistance.

I suspect she's got a consultant or two somewhere and she is definitely changing her style.

The red suit was wonderfully appropriate. The thing is, she has to adopt a style that will work for many public events - and over many years - without taking away from her presence or that of Prince William. If her clothes look as if they might belong to a more mature woman (to some), that's fine. I happen to disagree. Wearing more mature styles on such a lovely young women merely makes her look serious and classy (and I suspect she may really be those things).

Muriel, great detective work on that belt. Now, that belt could not be worn by an older woman (unless she wanted to look goofy or was going to a formal event and wore it in the right way as part of an evening ensemble). But, with a suit and on a younger woman, it simply looks current and feminine, and a bit sexy.

The belt is also a wonderful accessory for a thin woman with a tiny waist.

Now, please, if anyone sees her wear it again in the next week, let us know. It was £70, which for most of us mere mortals, would be expensive for a one-time wear. On the other hand, her clothes budget wouldn't have to be that much in order to have a once in awhile splurge on an accessory.

To me, the belt looks like it could perk up quite a few outfits.

Lumutqueen said:
They were all from her closet? Has she worn them before or did I miss something?

Kate has gone from being a woman to a princess; her clothes have to change. She cannot wear what she wants now, she cannot wear that see through dress or that roller skating outfit.

The palace said the red suit was from her closet.... so maybe you're right and she bought it but I took that to mean she owned it before- and of course the first coat we've seen before. Not sure about the hat and boots

Also, I didn't mean to imply she couldn't change her style, of course she can- I was simply asking for the sake of conversation.....

Last edited:
The Palace commented on her clothes? Owned it before the engagement or owned before the St Andrews visit?
I haven't seen the outfit before.

Lumutqueen said:
The Palace commented on her clothes? Owned it before the engagement or owned before the St Andrews visit?
I haven't seen the outfit before.

It was in several articles just saying the palace wouldn't comment on the suits designer aside to say the outfit came from Ms Middletons closet- didn't clarify when she bought it, that was my assumption I suppose

PrincessKaimi, I'm significantly older than Middleton is, and I don't think that belt is specifically "youthful". A slim little black belt with a small, rather plain bow? I own a very similar red suit that I wear with a black belt, and I doubt that anyone would blink an eye if I substituted a belt like the one Middleton wore. It's true that I am myself very thin.

I'm not sure the one Muriel found is the one Middleton wore. I believe her belt was described as velvet.

:previous:(Plus she can't be accused of copying Diana - I don't recall seeing her in ankle boots)

Interestingly, Diana wore brown ankle boots to Christmas Day service at Sandringham in 1994: in the presence of the Queen, no less.

They looked great then, and I think they looked great last week, too.

The clothes that she's wearing now are from her closet, we've just never seen them. They were worn in private- away from the prying eyes of the media.

PrincessKaimi, I'm significantly older than Middleton is, and I don't think that belt is specifically "youthful". A slim little black belt with a small, rather plain bow? I own a very similar red suit that I wear with a black belt, and I doubt that anyone would blink an eye if I substituted a belt like the one Middleton wore. It's true that I am myself very thin.

I'm not sure the one Muriel found is the one Middleton wore. I believe her belt was described as velvet.

I can't quite imagine anyone my age wearing a belt like that here where I live, but of course this is a different social setting (I'm significantly older than Middleton as well - she's my daughter's age). I do believe that an older woman could carry it off (I'm sorry if I implied otherwise), I just think the belt is more romantic than tailored. It's the transparency of the bow that makes it look like a younger woman's item (but, as I said, I'm only now transitioning out of wearing things I bought when I was much younger; and I would still wear them on private occasions).

That belt would look great on a lot of people, in many age groups - but my point was that it certainly should be one that Kate can wear again, it looks versatile. I haven't got a close-up of the actual outfit, and if the belt was velvet, it must look rather different than the one posted about, above (which is a great belt).

Poor Kate will be picked apart from this day forward....! I have seen some sketches from the wedding dress designer's "alleged" brainstorming, and they are all pretty conservative, and not too revealing...sure to please Her Majesty. I just hope she chooses a sleeker line than Princess Diana did. Re: the black eyeliner...we have all seen Kate very "fresh faced"..I think now she realizes her every move is being photographed, she is trying to highlight her most striking facial feature: her eyes. Pippa does it too!

I don't quite get why the royal house has to comment on her outfits & whether they are new or not. I just does not make sense to me. She is now engaged & will be carrying out official duties, it is quite normal if she does buy a few new pieces for her new role. Whats the big deal.
The red suit looks like its from Hobbs winter collection, I recall seeing it on their site or something very similar.

Glamour is for celebrities, elegance is for royalty

It's called 'royal glamour' and it's a combination of elegance, class AND glamour. Elegance alone can be truly boring sometimes, a bit of glam is always appreciated by some of us. And all this has nothing to do with expensive fashion brands, Kate can keep her seamstress and try to upgrade her style a bit. She has not accomplished anything yet, IMO. And generally, I find La_noblesse's post brilliant and very well-balanced - it's usually your posts the ones that appear ridiculous, because you never seem able to understand a bit of what the others just said and always jump to unfair and even hilarious conclusions. And this is YOUR problem, not theirs.;)

Well red is a good colour for Catherine because she is a brown hair girl but not the whole suit in red, I don't like the suit, neither the belt, not fashionable at all, but her style yes...and also those boots, I know she must love them but...just get rid of them fast!!!!!!!:bang:

The comment describing the belt as velvet was made by Hillary Alexander in The Telegraph, though never officially confirmed. Though Hillary is very good at her job, there is no official confirmation, and from the photographs, its difficult to tell.

The comment describing the belt as velvet was made by Hillary Alexander in The Telegraph, though never officially confirmed. Though Hillary is very good at her job, there is no official confirmation, and from the photographs, its difficult to tell.

The black belt is indeed velvet. You can see the texture in the cropped photos.

belt1.jpg

belt3.jpg

Yes, it is velvet. It looks like silk velvet, which would account for the price. Great look all 'round.

Yes, it is velvet. It looks like silk velvet, which would account for the price. Great look all 'round.

The price mentioned for the belt is the LK Bennett one, not this velvet one. It's hard to tell what kind of velvet (silk or nylon) it is from the picture, so hard to predict what the price would be.

Are we sure the belt didn't come already on the suit, maybe?

Ah, that's a very different belt than the one suggested before. Much more traditional, less frou-frou. It does look like one that would come with a suit.

Are we sure the belt didn't come already on the suit, maybe?

It's quite possible it's already sewed on the suit and the bow in the front buttons up. When her left arm goes up here in these pictures:
http://www.daylife.com/photo/08sL3YBfTH3Sq?q=kate+middleton+st.+andrews
http://www.daylife.com/photo/0cEcaNU6vw822?q=kate+middleton+st.+andrews
if the belt weren't sewed on, would the belt go up to or would the top slide out a little leaving the belt lower?

I guess we'll find out if she wears this suit again with a different belt.

Last edited:
Okay, now I've actually obsessively studied that belt and suit. This is a new venture for me, as I don't usually look so closely at what one person wears.

The belt is definitely not the belt linked above, it's narrower and the "bow" is almost not a bow at all, far more tailored.

It is uncannily like Princess Diana's suit (and I don't think that's a coincidence). However, I believe every public woman should learn to work with red and black early on, and that seems to be Kate's choice for this particular type of outfit. I hope she doesn't continue to wear too many suits (the whole suit thing is overdone by royalty, in my opinion - let's have some dresses! let's have some chic casual outfits too!)

But, at this stage of Kate's fashion development a suit is an absolute necessity, a Princess Diana style suit is perfect for her, she's so similarly proportioned (but I must confess, now that I'm paying attention, I'm seeing several women at work wearing the Princess Diana style suit again - in red and royal blue, not orange, and I have to wonder if Kate isn't influencing them a bit).

A Diana Renaissance wouldn't hurt American (or British) fashion. Diana was a lot of fun. Kate doesn't seem quite so people-friendly and fun (yet), but she doesn't seem quite to shy as Diana did at first, either.

So much to wait to see - can't wait to see how she turns up next!

previous.gif
As Italian is a pleasure to know that Catherina has chose an Italian brand. Luisa Spagnoli is a brand very famous in Italy, that make a mix of modern and also elegant clothes. I really like this brand,some years ago I bought an outfit for a wedding.

Luisa Spagnoli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom