The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 01:26 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Kate Middleton's Reiss engagement dress on sale in US sold out in Britain | Mail Online

Old 02-09-2011, 02:42 PM
Nobility

Kate Middleton beats Lady Gaga into second place as fashion buzzword

Prince William's bride-to-be, Kate Middleton, has de-throned Lady Gaga as the top fashion buzzword for the fashion season, according to a new survey.
A survey by the Texas-based Global Language Monitor of fashion buzz words and phrases in print, on the Internet, and in social media, ranked Miss Middleton top for the new US fashion season, which starts on February 10.

Lady Gaga, the singer, who is known as much for her striking outfits as her hit records, was pushed into second place in the annual survey.

"Sheer" - the trend for translucent fabrics - came in third place, followed by "shirt dresses", and "sustainable style," reflecting a growing trend of clothing made of recycled fabrics.

New York fashion week starts the international calendar of shows that includes London, Milan and Paris.

The words in the Global Language Monitor survey were chosen from the world fashion media, nominated by key fashionistas from around the world and tracked for their frequency and usage in English-speaking media outlets around the world.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Why would you want to buy a dress because Kate Middleton wore it?? Why would you buy a fake sapphire ring and change your hairstyle to look like Kate?? That has never made sense to me. It just shows me how many followers there are in the world.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:33 PM
Royal Highness

My question is, if Royals aren't suppose to wear black to weddings why didn't William (or in Dianas case, Charles) just tell her that? I am going to assume it was a bigger deal to press/public then actual RF members
Old 02-09-2011, 04:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Oh, gosh. I'm glad Kate has demoted Lady gaga. However, IMO, Kate's fashion sense is non-existant. She wears what everyone else wears. Neither here nor there though, regarding the article.

The article merely states that Kate, herself, is mentioned most often. I'll buy that. It says nothing of her fashion sense.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:50 PM
Aristocracy

I like what she wears usually, but then I'm not someone that likes particularly outlandish fashion-y things so probably just shows that Kate's fashion is safe & maybe a bit dull if I like it!

I think this whole fashion queen thing is being driven by the media & not by Kate though, she just seems to wear whatever she's always worn, she's not suddenly changed the way she dresses it seems or purposely gone out to prove some fashion point. And like you said she pretty much dresses like many "normal" people dress, there's nothing too crazy or unusual about the things she wears. Think it's mainly just media driven obsession with making her some fashion icon.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Totally agree. I also think she was just the cutest in the sheer black dress she wore to the wedding. Much more sophisticated than what others were wearing. I wear black to funerals, weddings, grocery shopping, to the dentist, to church, to parties, to the dermatologist, etc. Black is wonderful!!!
Old 02-09-2011, 06:45 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
Why would you want to buy a dress because Kate Middleton wore it?? Why would you buy a fake sapphire ring and change your hairstyle to look like Kate?? That has never made sense to me. It just shows me how many followers there are in the world.
It's not so much as who has worn the dress, it's because the design is unique and you can get generic designs of it. These people create fashion - + you can get some wonderful ideas for your own wardrobe
Old 02-09-2011, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Because sometimes people see pictures of well known people and like their dresses, shoes, eyeglasses, purses, etc. Its pretty much free advertisement for the merchant.

10 years ago, I would have worn a dress like that, and would have wanted to know who made it and if it was in my price range, and if so...I would have purchased it. I have seen designer shoes on celebrities and if it was something that I thought worked with my style and personality... I would certainly look for it the next time I was out shopping.

In regards to the hairstyles, there were tons of people in the past who had their hair remade to resemble Veronica Lake, Dorothy Hamill and Jennifer Anniston (the Rachel). I don't think its so much as being a follower is just liking a hairstyle.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:32 PM
Nobility

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Kate is so young, I think it's so unflattering to line her entire eye in black. Subtlety is much better in the daytime.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I don't think this phenomenon is exclusive to Kate...I remember when I was a child and Diana was engaged to Charles back in 1981, everyone went out and copied the 'Diana (hair) cut' and the ring (which just happens to be the same as Kate's maybe these girls, should ask their mothers for their original circa 1981 Diana copy?) It's just a fad and it will pass until the next royal engagment!
Old 02-09-2011, 11:16 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNotherThing View Post
I don't think this phenomenon is exclusive to Kate...I remember when I was a child and Diana was engaged to Charles back in 1981, everyone went out and copied the 'Diana (hair) cut' and the ring (which just happens to be the same as Kate's maybe these girls, should ask their mothers for their original circa 1981 Diana copy?) It's just a fad and it will pass until the next royal engagment!
i dont think this is just for diana or kate, remember dorothy hamill?
Old 02-09-2011, 11:34 PM
Administrator

Some famous look alike hairstyles are Veronica Lake, Dorothy Hamill, Jennfier Anniston (the Rachel), Clara Bow, Jean Harlow, Twiggy, and Diana.

I don't think a lot of people will follow Kate's hairstyle. And I agree that the eyeliner was a little much today.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:40 AM
Serene Highness

Kate Middleton's fashion choices create retail frenzy and tons of knockoffs

Kate Middleton's fashion choices create retail frenzy and tons of knockoffs - Fashion + Beauty on Shine
Old 02-10-2011, 05:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancchick View Post
Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Kate is so young, I think it's so unflattering to line her entire eye in black. Subtlety is much better in the daytime.
Let's hope she gets a stylist before the wedding! That eyeliner is harsh and brittle and makes her look positively haggard!!! Proof positive that Testino was exceptionally heavy on the airbrushing as it was reported that Kate did her own make-up. This is definitely not her forte . . . . she looks years older.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:11 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – The Netherlands

Kate out for lunch with the Duchess of Cornwall

Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3

Kate looks nice. I like her outfit
Old 02-10-2011, 10:30 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marika86 View Post
Kate out for lunch with the Duchess of Cornwall

Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3

Kate looks nice. I like her outfit
To me, Kate has no sense of style at all. She looks boring, like a relict from the 80ies and in this case the clothes dont even match. Who wears a beige jacket combined with a black and white patterned skirt? Any London business woman will look better on her lunch break than Kate does when dining with her royal future MIL.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:38 AM
Administrator

I wouldn't go so far to say that she hasn't gotten any style but I do agree that this outfit is a total miss. Its like she is wearing the jacket of another outfit on top of a sheath dress or something. Its a mess.

Kate looks best when she is wearing dresses or suits, like when she is going to a formal event. Apprently, she can't match on her own.

She needs to realize that she needs to look her best whether its just having lunch off the clock or doing an engagement. People wanted to take pictures of her before when she was just dating William, when she becomes a member of the BRF they will take pictures of any and everything. So she can't just pop out wearing anything.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethaliz6894 View Post
i dont think this is just for diana or kate, remember dorothy hamill?
I'm sure there are ladies posting on this board (maybe, gents too!) who have had their own hairstyles copied by others. During the Farrah Fawcett hair craze, I cut mine into a pixie (a la Audrey Hepburn) and suddenly there were (seemingly) pixies everywhere.

No matter one's age, we continue to learn by observation and imitation. Otherwise, there would be no fashion houses, designers, etc. and we'd all be running around in two squares of fabric sewn up the sides.

I must close with -- if you've found a style you like (aka: HM, PR, DoC) keep it. It's part of your individuality.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:35 PM
Aristocracy

Many people don't care for "matchy" clothes, and black and white really can be worn with just about any color. Middleton doesn't wear suits very often -- the ones I recall were much criticized for being very boring, and they actually didn't flatter her very well. She likes to experiment with prints and with mixing and matching various fabrics, and I like her fitted jackets very much, since I wear a lot of them myself. I liked the outfit she wore to lunch with the Duchess: the color combination was a bit unexpected and intriguing. And although many of her clothes could be worn by anyone aged 17-70 (which is actually a positive), she does play around with some items and colors in an interesting way. She makes the occasional misstep, but I fervently hope that her wardrobe won't become utterly staid and filled with matching suit jackets and skirts after her marriage. I suspect it won't.