Royal Orders and Decorations

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was just wondering why it seems that the wives of the British Royal family does not seem to receive other Royal orders like the other wives do? I do not think that Camilla has any. Diana received one and I am not sure about Sophie. Does the BRF just get left out because they do not interact with the other royal houses as much. Just a question, what do you think? I think that Camilla needs so orders, she is the wife of the future King.:rolleyes:

Just been looking back and reading old threads [as I have only joined recently]

The Royal Family Order is given by the Queen to female members of the Royal Family. Interestingly, there is no formal announcement - the only confirmation that the Order has been awarded to a certain family member is when that family member is spotted wearing it! 'First sightings' are usuallly at white-tie State Banquets. No information is given out as to why the Queen has decided to bestow the order.

The Queen has given her Order to the Princess Royal, The Duchess of Gloucester, The Duchess of Kent, Princess Alexandra, Camilla and Sophie. [I don't think I have left anyone out!] Diana was awarded the Order too.

The Order is generally awarded relatively shortly after a Royal Marriage - by which I mean that some members have to wait around a year or so. When Sophie appeared wearing her Insignia, the general feeling was that it signified that the Queen had forgiven her for the 'Fake Sheihk' incident

Interestingly, Sarah never received the Order and Princess Michael of Kent has not received the Order.

I would expect Catherine to receive the Order in a year or so - it may depend on how many Royal duties she undertakes, but with the forthcoming Official Visits to Canada and America, I expect that it won't be too long before Catherine is so honoured.

Beatrice and Eugenie have not received it -no doubt because they have not undertaken Royal Duties and/or are too young. My instinct is they will not receive the Order, particuarly as the information apparently coming out of Buckingham Palace is that the Royal Family is to be slimmed-down in due course.

I hope this helps.

Alex

Last edited:
My favourite orders to wit would probably be:

1. The Order of the Golden Fleece(Austrian Fleece)
  2. The Order of the Holy Spirit(France-Legitimist)
  3. The Order of the Garter(Great Britain)
  4. The Order of Canada (Canada)
  5. The Supreme Order of Christ (The Papacy)
  6. The Order of the Seraphim(Sweden)

I found interesting and hilarious that a member of the Supreme Order of Christ or a member of any of the other four order the Papacy can grant, have the right to Ride a Horse INSIDE St. Peter's Basilica. I would love to see someone exercise that right.

This is why I :heart: The Royal Forums, I learn something new every time I come on here. I never knew the Papacy had orders...probably because I have never really been interested in them. I do love the right to ride a horse inside St. Peter's Basilica...unfortunately that would be difficult as there are no living members of the order apparently.

Last edited by a moderator:
To answer the OP's question my fav would have to be the Royal Victorian Order, what I like is that the Queen awards it after years of royal service like Sophie (after 10 years of marriage) and the Duchess of Gloucester (in 1989). Does anyone know why Camilla seems to have no foreign orders, she's taken part in state visits but the British RF don't seem to collect as many as other royal families, really can't figure why?

^^^^
Probably because The Queen tends not to give orders to female members of foreign royals families, even to Queen Consorts, so there is no reciprocity.

Looking at the Queen's "genorosity" with her orders, looks the case, it seems a real shame that Camilla, Sophie etc. aren't recognised in the same way Mette-Marit and Mary are (both of them hold severl foreign orders apiece), hopefully this will change in the next couple of years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Princesses Maxima Mathilde and letitzia also have several foreign orders but lower as their husband.
They are Officlal Crown-Princesses Camilla and Sophie no.

I hope seeing Princess Charlène wearing the St Charles Order of Monaco.

Thats true I guess but camilla is legally the princess of wales and the next Queen of England and is equal is status to any other CP in europe. Even when Alexandra of denmark was still a royal she recieved orders and she was on the same level as sophie. Just makes little sense to me especially as Sophie Wessex represented the queen at some major foreign events and she and camilla have taken part in most of the recent state visits to the UK. Seems like they get pretty shoddy treatment.

It probably all comes down to the Queen of England being quite strict on who receives Orders. It took Sophie 5 years to receive the Family Order over 10 years of marriage to receive the Royal Victorian Order. Camilla, I believe, had the Family Order, but does she have the RVO? I don't think i've ever seen G.C.V.O. after her name? Interestly enough, Sophie received the Royal Victorian Order BEFORE her husband. Edward had, of course, been made a Royal Knight, but he didn't receive his KVO until after Sophie received it.

It does seem odd that European Royal families have never given the British members many orders. I think Philip and Charles have orders from other Royal families, but no one else has. I could be wrong in thinking that. It does make sense that Sophie has never received any as her husband is very far down the succession line, but she has attended pretty much every foreign Royal wedding, has met the Crown Prince and Princesses and is said to be good friends of some of them. (She attended Princess Martha-Louise's birthday as a friend, not representing the British Royal Family.)

It does make sense that Sophie has never received any as her husband is very far down the succession line, but she has attended pretty much every foreign Royal wedding, has met the Crown Prince and Princesses and is said to be good friends of some of them. (She attended Princess Martha-Louise's birthday as a friend, not representing the British Royal Family.)

Sophie and Edward attended Prince Willem-Alexander's 40th birthday, where I read somewhere that he and Maxima had only invited friends.

Sophie and Edward attended Prince Willem-Alexander's 40th birthday, where I read somewhere that he and Maxima had only invited friends.

I did not know that, that is lovely. Another example of the friendship Edward and Sophie have with the European Royals. I know I read somewhere that she and Edward have a good friendship with Albert of Monaco, and have since come to like Charlene. Very lovely. I know Anne and Queen Elizabeth both have the Monaco order, Order of St Charles, so perhaps Albert will give it out more freely to his British friends?

It probably all comes down to the Queen of England being quite strict on who receives Orders. It took Sophie 5 years to receive the Family Order over 10 years of marriage to receive the Royal Victorian Order. Camilla, I believe, had the Family Order, but does she have the RVO? I don't think i've ever seen G.C.V.O. after her name? Interestly enough, Sophie received the Royal Victorian Order BEFORE her husband. Edward had, of course, been made a Royal Knight, but he didn't receive his KVO until after Sophie received it.
Camilla does have the Royal Family Order (she received it back in 2007), but doesn't have the Royal Victorian Order. Sophie got hers in 2010.

It does seem odd that European Royal families have never given the British members many orders. I think Philip and Charles have orders from other Royal families, but no one else has. I could be wrong in thinking that. It does make sense that Sophie has never received any as her husband is very far down the succession line, but she has attended pretty much every foreign Royal wedding, has met the Crown Prince and Princesses and is said to be good friends of some of them. (She attended Princess Martha-Louise's birthday as a friend, not representing the British Royal Family.
Actually, quite a few British royals do have foreign orders; all senior ones certainly do. On the other hand, the Earl and Countess of Wessex, who are the most common representatives of the Queen abroad (during royal events) do not have any foreign orders.

Queen Elizabeth has the following orders from current Monarchies:
- Order of Carlos III from Spain (since 1986)
- Order of the Golden Fleece from Spain (since 1988)
- Order of the Elephant from Denmark (since 1947)
- Order of the Seraphim from Sweden (since 1953)
- Order of St. Olav from Norway (since 1955)
- Order of Leopold from Belgium (since 1963)
- Order of the Netherlands Lion from the Netherlands (since 1950)
- Order of the Gold Lion of the House of Nassau from Luxembourg (since 1972)
- Order of the Royal House of Chakri from Thailand (since 1960)
- Order of the Chrysanthemum from Japan (since 1962)
- Order of Hussein ibn' Ali from Jordan (since 1953)
- Order of the Mohammediya from Morocco (since 1980)
- Order of Zayed from UAE (since 2010)
- Order King Abdul Aziz from Saudi Arabia (since 1979)
- Order of al-Khalifa from Bahrain (since 1979)
- Order of Al-Nahayyan from Abu Dhabi (since 1969)
- Order of Mubarak the Great from Kuwait (since 1979)
- Order of Kuwait from Kuwait (since 1995)
- Order of Oman from Oman (since 1979)
- Order of Al Said from Oman (since 1982)

Prince Philip has the following orders from current Monarchies:
- Order of the Elephant from Denmark (since 1947)
- Order of Saint Olav from Norway (since 1952)
- Order of the Seraphim from Sweden (since 1954)
- Order of the Netherlands Lion (since 1958)
- Order of the Golden Ark from the Netherlands (since 1979)
- Order of Leopold from Belgium (since 1963)
- Order of the Chrysanthemum from Japan (since 1971)
- Order of the Gold Lion of the House of Nassau from Luxembourg (since 1972)
- Order of St. Charles from Monaco (since 1951)
- Order of the Mohammediya from Morocco (since 1980)
- Order of Ojaswi Rajanya from Nepal (since 1960)
- Order of Nahdah from Jordan (since 1966)
- Order of the Federation from UAE (since 2010)

Prince Charles has the following from current Monarchies:
- Order of the Crown from the Netherlands (since 1972)
- Order of Orange-Nassau from the Netherlands (since 1982)
- Order of the Elephant from Denmark (since 1974)
- Order of the Seraphim from Sweden (since 1975)
- Order of St. Olav from Norway (since 1978)
- Order of the Oak Crown from Luxembourg (since 1972)
- Order of the Chrysanthemum from Japan (since 1971)
- Order of Ojaswi Rajanya from Nepal (since 1975)
- Order of al-Khalifa from Bahrain (since 1986)
- Order of Merit from Qatar (since 1986)
- Order of King Abdul Aziz from Saudi Arabia (since 1987)
Order of Mubarak the Great from Kuwait (since 1993)

The Duchess of Cornwall doesn’t have foreign orders as of now.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge don’t have foreign orders as of now.
Prince Harry doesn’t have foreign orders as of now.

The Duke of York holds the following honours from current Monarchies:
- Order of St. Olav from Norway (since 1988)
- Order of the Federation from the UAE (since 2010)

Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie of York don’t have foreign orders as of now.

The Earl of Wessex, Countess of Wessex, Lady Louise and Viscount Severn don’t have foreign orders as of now.

The Princess Royal holds the following honours from current Monarchies:
- Order of the House of Orange from the Netherlands (since 1972)
- Order of the Oak Crown from Luxembourg (since 1972)
- Order of the Precious Crown from Japan (since 1971)

Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester holds the following honours from current Monarchies:
- Order of St. Olav from Norway (since 1973)
- Order of the Northern Star from Sweden (since 1975)
- Order of the Crown of Tonga from Tonga (since 2008)

Birgitte, Duchess of Gloucester doesn’t have foreign orders as of now.

Prince Edward, Duke of Kent holds the following honours from current Monarchies:
- The Order of St. Olav from Norway (since 1988)
- Order of Charles XIII from Sweden (since 2000)
- Order of the Renaissance from Jordan

Katharine, Duchess of Kent doesn’t have foreign orders as of now.
Prince and Princess Michael of Kent don’t have foreign orders as of now.
Princess Alexandra, the Honourable Lady Ogilvy has no foreign orders as of now.

Last edited:
Hallo everyone. I was just curious to know which of your countries' Orders and decorations are your favourites.

Personally mine are the Most Honourable order of the Bath and the Royal Victorian order. (The Neck badge of a Commander, or Knight/Dame of the Most Excellent order of the British Empire is also lovely to look at).

Many thanks.

To me they are the royal orders of the seraphim, of st orlav and the royal order of the netherlands lion, I love the sash, star and order on the bottom of the sash).

Artemisia thats an amazing list, looking further into it Princess Margaret collected several during her life as well, the Order of the Netherlands Lion when she attended Queen Juliana's enthronement the Queen Mum also held several but not as many as Royals today. Giving and recieving Orders seems much more commonplace nowadays than in the past, Diana only recieved one or two even though she was a senior Royal.

I know that QEII often gives the Order of the Bath to visiting presidents etc. but never their wives or female royals however Sheikah Mozah recieved the order of the british empire on their state visit supposedly on the advice of the government, why was that when other female royals never get them?

Last edited:
Can anyone confirm the order that the new Finnish first lady was wearing at the banquet during the State Visit to Sweden? Her husband was awarded the Order of the Seraphim, based on the pale blue sash, but I don't immediately recognize the other.

Can anyone confirm the order that the new Finnish first lady was wearing at the banquet during the State Visit to Sweden? Her husband was awarded the Order of the Seraphim, based on the pale blue sash, but I don't immediately recognize the other.

Polar Star

Last edited:

Order of the Polar Star.

The Sultana Kalsoom of Pahang is wearing (along with her fabulous emeralds) what appears to be a Family Order.
She is pictured here during the Golden Jubilee celebrations of the Sultan of Kedah in 2008.

v Sultana Kalsoom of Pahang
thumbnail cropped from larger image and not subject to copyright

Attachments

• Sultana Kalsoom of Pahang 2008.jpg
    Sultana Kalsoom of Pahang 2008.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 2,366
On the other hand, the Earl and Countess of Wessex, who are the most common representatives of the Queen abroad (during royal events) do not have any foreign orders.

This is probably because orders are exchanged on State Visits and not at weddings, funerals and other such events that Edward and Sophie get dispatched to. I'm still surprised that Edward and Sophie haven't got any orders from anywhere yet, I feel so let down now that I know this:sad:

Also, you are amazing Artemisia for that wonderful list you provided above :flowers:

Hello everyone:

When I heard the Duke of Cambridge would receive the Order of the Thistle, I wondered if he would be given the badge of his Great Grandmother, The Queen Mother (unless the badges for females are different)

When I saw a photo of William wearing his badge on a suit, it did not appear to have antique stones or settings. By contrast, the badge of the Queen in the same photo appears different than that worn by William.

Does anyone know if W A plans on handing out orders to royal guests going to his inauguration, would love to see Camilla in an Orange sash! I know in 1948 Juliana awarded Princess margaret the order of the netherlands lion when she attended her inauguration, what does anyone reckon?

Does anyone know if W A plans on handing out orders to royal guests going to his inauguration, would love to see Camilla in an Orange sash! I know in 1948 Juliana awarded Princess margaret the order of the netherlands lion when she attended her inauguration, what does anyone reckon?

"Handing out" seems to be the wrong phrase to use when discussing royal orders and the inauguration of a new Monarch. If Camilla were to be given anything, which I highly doubt, it would more than like be the Order of the Crown or the Order of Orange-Nassau. However Orders are mainly a State Visit element.

I was pretty much wondering about this as well. :) We will see, won't we?

Does anyone remember the name and level/rank of Order Camilla received during the South Pacific tour she and Charles undertook last Fall? I clearly remember the both of them receiving Orders at the first (?) stop of the trip more due it being the first (that we know of) time Camilla was gifted w/another Country's Order. I just don't remember the name of the Country or the Order.

I saw a picture of the presentation in Majesty magazine, so it happened, I just can't remember the details. Thanks in advance!! :smile :

Does anyone remember the name and level/rank of Order Camilla received during the South Pacific tour she and Charles undertook last Fall? I clearly remember the both of them receiving Orders at the first (?) stop of the trip more due it being the first (that we know of) time Camilla was gifted w/another Country's Order. I just don't remember the name of the Country or the Order.

I saw a picture of the presentation in Majesty magazine, so it happened, I just can't remember the details. Thanks in advance!! :smile :

3 November 2012: Companion of the Order of the Star of Melanesia (CSM)

Source: Wilipedia

Unknown order

I was looking through one of the books in my royalty library (such as it is) from the late 1970s and there are a couple pictures of Grand Duke Jean as Royal Colonel of the Irish Guard wearing a unknown sash to me. The sash was equally split in three as navy blue/red/navy blue. I cannot place this ribbon. I assume it is British and presumably before he received his Garter.
Can anyone help me out with this?
Thanks.

I believe the sash which H.R.H. The Grand Duke Jean was wearing belonged to the Order of St. Michael and St. George. This order of knighthood is generally awarded by the Queen to those that have served in the armed forces.

Thanks Count Langley, I think you are right.
Although, oddly enough I can find no mention of HRH TGD Jean being appointed to the Order on either his or the Order’s Wikipedia page (not that that should be considered gospel). I did note that he was appointed #951 in the Order of the Garter in 1972. The book I was looking at was published in 1978. I wonder if he, as Royal Colonel of the Irish Guards, worn the OSMSG sash as it is perhaps thought to be more "neutral" than the (perceived) English Garter?? I am intrigued and will try to delve further.
Thanks again for your input. Much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom