It's the order of Australia

https://www.itsanhonour.gov.au/honou...alia.cfm#medal

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 07-23-2016, 10:14 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
thank you
with the lighting it looked like a family order studded with diamonds in the pic that's why i was confused .

Old 07-23-2017, 02:22 PM
Gentry

For the recent Spanish State Dinner...

For the recent Spanish State Dinner...

Prince Philip wore the breast star or The Order of Charles III and his Garter star. It is hard to see in most of the photos but a bit easier is you watch a video of the Royal progression into the ballroom for the State Dinner.

Prince Charles wears his star of the Order of Charles III and his Garter star.

The Duke of Cambridge wears his Garter and Thistle stars.

Prince Harry wears his star of the Order of Isabella the Catholic and his star of the Royal Victorian Order. (see below)

You can also see a quick glimpse of The Duke of York wearing two stars - most likely the Order of Isabella the Catholic and his Garter star.

I am having trouble with The Princess Royal. I am pretty sure that she is wearing the star of the Order of Isabella the Catholic at the state Dinner, but I am not sure if she is wearing her Garter star.

Surprisingly, at the Guildhall dinner the next night, The Princess Royal is wearing her Garter sash and the star of the Order of Isabella the Catholic but NOT her Garter star. Perhaps it is too uncomfortable with all of those pointy stars??!! (see below) EDIT - Found a picture where you can see both stars worn by the PR. I would have been surprised if she had got this "wrong".

Here is a link is PP at a previous Spanish stare visit
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...act=mrc&uact=8
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	harry star.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	300652   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA3.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	300653  
Old 07-23-2017, 02:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
For the I am having trouble with The Princess Royal. I am pretty sure that she is wearing the star of the Order of Isabella the Catholic at the state Dinner, but I am not sure if she is wearing her Garter star.

Surprisingly, at the Guildhall dinner the next night, The Princess Royal is wearing her Garter sash and the star of the Order of Isabella the Catholic but NOT her Garter star. Perhaps it is too uncomfortable with all of those pointy stars??!! (see below)

Anne wore 2 stars. You can see them on your pic.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
Prince Philip would be wearing the breast star or The Order of Charles III and his Garter star. It is hard to see in most of the photos but a bit easier is you watch a video of the Royal progression into the ballroom for the State Dinner.

Prince Charles wears his star of the Order of Charles III and his Garter star.

The Duke of Cambridge wears his Garter and Thistle stars.

Prince Harry wears his star of the Order of Isabella the Catholic and his star of the Royal Victorian Order.

You can also see a quick glimpse of The Duke of York wearing two stars - most likely the Order of Isabella the Catholic and his Garter star.

I am having trouble with The Princess Royal. I am pretty sure that she is wearing the star of the Order of Isabella the Catholic at the state Dinner, but I am not sure if she is wearing her Garter star.

Surprisingly, at the Guildhall dinner the next night, The Princess Royal is wearing her Garter sash and the star of the Order of Isabella the Catholic but NOT her Garter star. Perhaps it is too uncomfortable with all of those pointy stars??!!

Here is The Princess Royal at the Guildhall
Thanks, Bryce !

I wonder though why, both on the state visit to Spain in 1988 and now on the state visit from Spain in 2017, Queen Elizabeth II chose to wear the insignia of the Golden Fleece on the Dame's ribbon bow rather than wearing it with the collar of the order as, if I am not mistaken, Queen Beatrix and Emperor Akihito are doing in the linked pictures, May it be because the collar is heavy to wear ?

BTW, here is a link to a well-known painting in the Royal Collection depicting Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha also wearing the necklace insignia of the Spanish Golden Fleece with his Garter star . Apparently, according to this explanation from the Royal Collection website, Queen Victoria could not receive the order herself as the Golden Fleece at that time could not be awarded to women. Prince Albert then received the order as the Queen's consort and was invested by the Duke of Wellington, who was a Knight of the Golden Fleece himself and acted as a proxy for the young Queen Isabella II of Spain.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:26 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
Anne wore 2 stars. You can see them on your pic.
Thanks Spheno

I edited my original post and picture later when I found a picture that showed both stars. Looks like the picture changed but not my post. I'll try to re-edit.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:46 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Thanks, Bryce !

I wonder though why, both on the state visit to Spain in 1988 and now on the state visit from Spain in 2017, Queen Elizabeth II chose to wear the insignia of the Golden Fleece on the Dame's ribbon bow rather than wearing it with the collar of the order
Maybe since everyone else is "collarless" HM felt this was a more appropriate option?? And you are right - it must be more comfortable without the collar which I am sure is weighty.

Thanks for the info re Victoria's / Albert's granting of the order...quite interesting!
Old 07-24-2017, 08:51 AM
Heir Apparent

They are no Golden Fleece collar for Ladies in the Spanish Order.
When the 3 reigning Queens will pass away, their Insignia has to go back to the Order. Their Heirs being Men , their Consort will haver have the Golden Fleece.

For the Austrian Order, only granted to Catholics, I don't know is Empress Zita wore once the Order.
The Habsbourg ladies wore an Insignia with a black Ribbon. I forgot the name of the Order but know that the Archduke Karl , actual Chef of the House never granted this Order to his wife.
I am very interested in sashes and Orders .Many thanks for youy threads. MO
Old 07-24-2017, 09:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
They are no Golden Fleece collar for Ladies in the Spanish Order.
My first reaction was also to assume that ladies don't wear the collar, but, as I posted above, it seems to me that Queen Beatrix is clearly wearing it here .

Take note also of the following video.

Quote:
For the Austrian Order, only granted to Catholics, I don't know is Empress Zita wore once the Order.
The Habsbourg ladies wore an Insignia with a black Ribbon. I forgot the name of the Order but know that the Archduke Karl , actual Chef of the House never granted this Order to his wife.
I am very interested in sashes and Orders .Many thanks for youy thread
As far as the Spanish order is concerned, I know the first non-Catholic who got it was the Duke of Wellington (for his role in the Peninsular War), but, afterwards, the Spanish Golden Fleece has been awarded to several Protestants, Orthodox Christians (e.g. the Russian Tsar) and even non-Christians recently (e.g. Thai and Japanese monarchs). Did the Spanish Crown get a special dispensation from the Pope, or do they simply not care as the religious origin of the order has been lost/ forgotten anyway ? The Austrian branch of course sticks to the old rules (i.e no women, Catholics only, etc.).
Old 07-24-2017, 11:28 AM
Heir Apparent

yes , a brand new Golden Collar for Queen Beatrix, thanks for sharing it.
In Belgium King Baudouin had the Spanish order and his Brother Albert Prince de Liège the Austrian one. When the King of Spain came on State Visit in 2000 He gave to King Albert Ii the Spanish Order , So I thnik He is the only one Monarch to have both.

You said and are right Empress Zita did not have the Austrian Golden Fleece (only for men) but she was Greatmaster of the Order of the Starry Cross. She was followed by Archduchess Regina and now Archduchess Gabriela who is a Divorcee.

I thought it should have been the Head of the Order's wife , but that was not His Will
Old 07-24-2017, 11:36 AM
Heir Apparent

In Belgium our First Order is the Leopold Order with no Collar.

For Albert Prince de Liège's Wedding himself and his Father Leopold III wore the collar black necklace of the Order of Malta and the Leopold Order's Sash . No Uniform.

One Year later King Baudsouin at his Wedding wore the Collar of Isabelle la Catholique on his brown Uniform, sad he did not had a Gala Uniform.

Years later after 1965 when Queen Elisabeth passed away a picture taken in Germany or Austria is often shown because Princess Lilian wore the Cartier tiara. On this very picture Ling Leopold III is wearing the Order of the Golden Fleece.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:04 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post

You said and are right Empress Zita did not have the Austrian Golden Fleece (only for men) but she was Greatmaster of the Order of the Starry Cross. She was followed by Archduchess Regina and now Archduchess Gabriela who is a Divorcee.

I thought it should have been the Head of the Order's wife , but that was not His Will
The Order of the Starry Cross is only handed out to Catholic ladies from royal families or from the highest nobility (Princess Michael is a member). The reason for Archduchess Francesca not receiving the order is that her antecedentia isnt deemed prominent enough.

Tags
decorations, jewellery, orders

« The Spanish Crown | - »