The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-19-2012, 03:54 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
On the other hand, the Earl and Countess of Wessex, who are the most common representatives of the Queen abroad (during royal events) do not have any foreign orders.
This is probably because orders are exchanged on State Visits and not at weddings, funerals and other such events that Edward and Sophie get dispatched to. I'm still surprised that Edward and Sophie haven't got any orders from anywhere yet, I feel so let down now that I know this

Also, you are amazing Artemisia for that wonderful list you provided above

Old 07-07-2012, 10:45 AM

Hello everyone:

When I heard the Duke of Cambridge would receive the Order of the Thistle, I wondered if he would be given the badge of his Great Grandmother, The Queen Mother (unless the badges for females are different)

When I saw a photo of William wearing his badge on a suit, it did not appear to have antique stones or settings. By contrast, the badge of the Queen in the same photo appears different than that worn by William.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:23 AM
Commoner

Does anyone know if W A plans on handing out orders to royal guests going to his inauguration, would love to see Camilla in an Orange sash! I know in 1948 Juliana awarded Princess margaret the order of the netherlands lion when she attended her inauguration, what does anyone reckon?
Old 04-24-2013, 11:29 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningbearer View Post
Does anyone know if W A plans on handing out orders to royal guests going to his inauguration, would love to see Camilla in an Orange sash! I know in 1948 Juliana awarded Princess margaret the order of the netherlands lion when she attended her inauguration, what does anyone reckon?
"Handing out" seems to be the wrong phrase to use when discussing royal orders and the inauguration of a new Monarch. If Camilla were to be given anything, which I highly doubt, it would more than like be the Order of the Crown or the Order of Orange-Nassau. However Orders are mainly a State Visit element.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningbearer View Post
I was pretty much wondering about this as well. We will see, won't we?
Old 05-19-2013, 11:11 PM
Serene Highness

Does anyone remember the name and level/rank of Order Camilla received during the South Pacific tour she and Charles undertook last Fall? I clearly remember the both of them receiving Orders at the first (?) stop of the trip more due it being the first (that we know of) time Camilla was gifted w/another Country's Order. I just don't remember the name of the Country or the Order.

I saw a picture of the presentation in Majesty magazine, so it happened, I just can't remember the details. Thanks in advance!! :smile :
Old 05-19-2013, 11:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
Does anyone remember the name and level/rank of Order Camilla received during the South Pacific tour she and Charles undertook last Fall? I clearly remember the both of them receiving Orders at the first (?) stop of the trip more due it being the first (that we know of) time Camilla was gifted w/another Country's Order. I just don't remember the name of the Country or the Order.

I saw a picture of the presentation in Majesty magazine, so it happened, I just can't remember the details. Thanks in advance!! :smile :
3 November 2012: Companion of the Order of the Star of Melanesia (CSM)

Source: Wilipedia

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-15-2013, 10:52 PM
Commoner

Unknown order

I was looking through one of the books in my royalty library (such as it is) from the late 1970s and there are a couple pictures of Grand Duke Jean as Royal Colonel of the Irish Guard wearing a unknown sash to me. The sash was equally split in three as navy blue/red/navy blue. I cannot place this ribbon. I assume it is British and presumably before he received his Garter.
Can anyone help me out with this?
Thanks.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:43 AM
Commoner

I believe the sash which H.R.H. The Grand Duke Jean was wearing belonged to the Order of St. Michael and St. George. This order of knighthood is generally awarded by the Queen to those that have served in the armed forces.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:10 PM
Commoner

Thanks Count Langley, I think you are right.
Although, oddly enough I can find no mention of HRH TGD Jean being appointed to the Order on either his or the Orderís Wikipedia page (not that that should be considered gospel). I did note that he was appointed #951 in the Order of the Garter in 1972. The book I was looking at was published in 1978. I wonder if he, as Royal Colonel of the Irish Guards, worn the OSMSG sash as it is perhaps thought to be more "neutral" than the (perceived) English Garter?? I am intrigued and will try to delve further.
Thanks again for your input. Much appreciated.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:21 PM
Commoner

Unknown Order

Can anyone help me out by identifying the neck badge worn here by PP.
I think this may have been taken in PNG but I don't think the order is from there.
Any thoughts... it seems out of place somehow without a jacket
Thanks for you help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Orders - aaa - PP - PNG 1982.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	290946  
Old 01-09-2014, 11:48 PM
Commoner

Unkown (to me) order

Okay this one may be for the Order buffs.
For some reason I cannot seem to upload a picture I have of QEII wearing what I think is a UAE (Abu Dhabi) Order. The picture is from the 1980's (I think)
I have not been able to put a name to the ribbon.
It drapes over HM's left shoulder to her right hip.
The colours (left to right are) white, red/green/red, black. (The green stripe is bordered on both sides by a thin red strip)
The Star is quite ornate with a 7-pointed, green star with gold (what look like) flowers between the points and a red central medallion with gold script

Sorry - I know it would be much easier with the picture.
Thanks again for any help.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:32 PM
Commoner

Prince Philp's breast stars

I have just noticed after all of these years that Prince Philip wore 2 breast badges on his wedding day. I have to assume that the top one is the Garter which was bestowed upon him just before his marriage. Does anyone know what the other is? My guess is that it is a Greek order - either Oof St George and Constantine or the Oof the Redeemer.
Can anyone elighten me?
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2014, 05:24 PM
Heir Apparent

i was interested to know whether kate received the Royal Family Order of Queen Elizabeth II. from the list below, it looks like both the duchess of cornwall and sophie received it after their marriages, and so did diana. how come kate didn't get it?

in her only white tie appearance, the diplomatic reception, she didn't seem to be wearing it.

Royal Family Order of Queen Elizabeth II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 04-04-2014, 05:48 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
i was interested to know whether kate received the Royal Family Order of Queen Elizabeth II. from the list below, it looks like both the duchess of cornwall and sophie received it after their marriages, and so did diana. how come kate didn't get it?

in her only white tie appearance, the diplomatic reception, she didn't seem to be wearing it.

They didnt get it immediately.

Camilla married 2005, and received it in 2007
Sophie married in 1999 and received it in 2004.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:55 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post

Catherine will most likely be receiving her Royal Family Order soon. It seems like William & Catherine are starting to attend State events where the Order is usually worn. Sophie didn't get it until 5 years after her marriage. I think Camilla got hers in 2007. Diana got hers pretty early on, a year after her marriage, 1982.

Catherine is the only current senior royal who's up for the Royal Family Order. I'm guessing she got the Diamond Jubilee Medal though. The official British Monarchy website isn't good in updating the royal family's royal Order's info.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 04-04-2014, 05:57 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
I was looking through one of the books in my royalty library (such as it is) from the late 1970s and there are a couple pictures of Grand Duke Jean as Royal Colonel of the Irish Guard wearing a unknown sash to me. The sash was equally split in three as navy blue/red/navy blue. I cannot place this ribbon. I assume it is British and presumably before he received his Garter.
Can anyone help me out with this?
Thanks.
Maybe it was the Duke of Kent you were looking at. He wore this order (St Michael and St George) before being given the Garter and he and Grand Duke rode together at Trooping the Colour. It can be difficult to tell who is who when they are wearing those bearskin hats.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:07 PM
Commoner

Style of wear

I have a question regarding the wearing or ribbons.
I found this picture of the Duchess of Gloucester at a 2005 return banquet at the Guildhall. She is wearing her sash of the RVO and her other medals as miniatures. My question is whether it is proper form for HRH to wear her RVO sash as well as her miniature RVO medal denoting the same order (seen at our left of her medals board)?

I would think that she probably has one board that she uses that is all-encompassing and which I am sure is not so easy to change-up for every different outing.

I just thought it redundant? Anyone know the "rule"...if there is one?
Thanks for you help.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Brig - Orders - 2005.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	291317  
Old 04-06-2014, 11:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

I would like to know some information about all this little frames with a picture that the Royals use. what is the name for it, why they use it, and how did they start? Are they a decoration or an order?I would like if anybody could give me some info!
Thank you
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	01_KPM_GALLA_038.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	291318   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nobel+Banquet+2009+Town+Hall+88sZS8-quIdl.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	291319  
Old 04-07-2014, 02:35 PM
Commoner

Hi Ashelen,
I do not know if you managed to review the threads here is the Royal Forums but maybe the link below may be a good place to start. Ella Kay over at her Order of Sartorial Splendor provides a very good summary on the subject of Royal Family Orders (as well as many other subjects). I would be hard pressed to provide you with a better explanation.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Royal Splendor 101: Royal Family Orders

Tags
decorations, jewellery, orders