Royal Orders and Decorations

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For the recent Spanish State Dinner...

For the recent Spanish State Dinner...

Prince Philip wore the breast star or The Order of Charles III and his Garter star. It is hard to see in most of the photos but a bit easier is you watch a video of the Royal progression into the ballroom for the State Dinner.

Prince Charles wears his star of the Order of Charles III and his Garter star.

The Duke of Cambridge wears his Garter and Thistle stars.

Prince Harry wears his star of the Order of Isabella the Catholic and his star of the Royal Victorian Order. (see below)

You can also see a quick glimpse of The Duke of York wearing two stars - most likely the Order of Isabella the Catholic and his Garter star.

I am having trouble with The Princess Royal. I am pretty sure that she is wearing the star of the Order of Isabella the Catholic at the state Dinner, but I am not sure if she is wearing her Garter star.

Surprisingly, at the Guildhall dinner the next night, The Princess Royal is wearing her Garter sash and the star of the Order of Isabella the Catholic but NOT her Garter star. Perhaps it is too uncomfortable with all of those pointy stars??!! (see below) EDIT - Found a picture where you can see both stars worn by the PR. I would have been surprised if she had got this "wrong".

Here is a link is PP at a previous Spanish stare visit
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...aDVAhWG6oMKHTpgAbAQMwgoKAEwAQ&iact=mrc&uact=8

Attachments

• harry star.jpg
    harry star.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 136
  • PA3.jpg
    PA3.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
For the I am having trouble with The Princess Royal. I am pretty sure that she is wearing the star of the Order of Isabella the Catholic at the state Dinner, but I am not sure if she is wearing her Garter star.

Surprisingly, at the Guildhall dinner the next night, The Princess Royal is wearing her Garter sash and the star of the Order of Isabella the Catholic but NOT her Garter star. Perhaps it is too uncomfortable with all of those pointy stars??!! (see below)

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...aDVAhWG6oMKHTpgAbAQMwgoKAEwAQ&iact=mrc&uact=8

Anne wore 2 stars. You can see them on your pic.

Prince Philip would be wearing the breast star or The Order of Charles III and his Garter star. It is hard to see in most of the photos but a bit easier is you watch a video of the Royal progression into the ballroom for the State Dinner.

Prince Charles wears his star of the Order of Charles III and his Garter star.

The Duke of Cambridge wears his Garter and Thistle stars.

Prince Harry wears his star of the Order of Isabella the Catholic and his star of the Royal Victorian Order.

You can also see a quick glimpse of The Duke of York wearing two stars - most likely the Order of Isabella the Catholic and his Garter star.

I am having trouble with The Princess Royal. I am pretty sure that she is wearing the star of the Order of Isabella the Catholic at the state Dinner, but I am not sure if she is wearing her Garter star.

Surprisingly, at the Guildhall dinner the next night, The Princess Royal is wearing her Garter sash and the star of the Order of Isabella the Catholic but NOT her Garter star. Perhaps it is too uncomfortable with all of those pointy stars??!!

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...5_VAhVLwYMKHRQVBIkQMwgnKAAwAA&iact=mrc&uact=8

Here is The Princess Royal at the Guildhall

Thanks, Bryce !

I wonder though why, both on the state visit to Spain in 1988 and now on the state visit from Spain in 2017, Queen Elizabeth II chose to wear the insignia of the Golden Fleece on the Dame's ribbon bow rather than wearing it with the collar of the order as, if I am not mistaken, Queen Beatrix and Emperor Akihito are doing in the linked pictures, May it be because the collar is heavy to wear ?

BTW, here is a link to a well-known painting in the Royal Collection depicting Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha also wearing the necklace insignia of the Spanish Golden Fleece with his Garter star . Apparently, according to this explanation from the Royal Collection website, Queen Victoria could not receive the order herself as the Golden Fleece at that time could not be awarded to women. Prince Albert then received the order as the Queen's consort and was invested by the Duke of Wellington, who was a Knight of the Golden Fleece himself and acted as a proxy for the young Queen Isabella II of Spain.

Last edited:
Anne wore 2 stars. You can see them on your pic.

Thanks Spheno

I edited my original post and picture later when I found a picture that showed both stars. Looks like the picture changed but not my post. I'll try to re-edit.

Thanks, Bryce !

I wonder though why, both on the state visit to Spain in 1988 and now on the state visit from Spain in 2017, Queen Elizabeth II chose to wear the insignia of the Golden Fleece on the Dame's ribbon bow rather than wearing it with the collar of the order

Maybe since everyone else is "collarless" HM felt this was a more appropriate option?? And you are right - it must be more comfortable without the collar which I am sure is weighty.

Thanks for the info re Victoria's / Albert's granting of the order...quite interesting!

They are no Golden Fleece collar for Ladies in the Spanish Order.
When the 3 reigning Queens will pass away, their Insignia has to go back to the Order. Their Heirs being Men , their Consort will haver have the Golden Fleece.

For the Austrian Order, only granted to Catholics, I don't know is Empress Zita wore once the Order.
The Habsbourg ladies wore an Insignia with a black Ribbon. I forgot the name of the Order but know that the Archduke Karl , actual Chef of the House never granted this Order to his wife.
I am very interested in sashes and Orders .Many thanks for youy threads. MO

My first reaction was also to assume that ladies don't wear the collar, but, as I posted above, it seems to me that Queen Beatrix is clearly wearing it here .

Take note also of the following video.

For the Austrian Order, only granted to Catholics, I don't know is Empress Zita wore once the Order.
The Habsbourg ladies wore an Insignia with a black Ribbon. I forgot the name of the Order but know that the Archduke Karl , actual Chef of the House never granted this Order to his wife.
I am very interested in sashes and Orders .Many thanks for youy thread

As far as the Spanish order is concerned, I know the first non-Catholic who got it was the Duke of Wellington (for his role in the Peninsular War), but, afterwards, the Spanish Golden Fleece has been awarded to several Protestants, Orthodox Christians (e.g. the Russian Tsar) and even non-Christians recently (e.g. Thai and Japanese monarchs). Did the Spanish Crown get a special dispensation from the Pope, or do they simply not care as the religious origin of the order has been lost/ forgotten anyway ? The Austrian branch of course sticks to the old rules (i.e no women, Catholics only, etc.).

Last edited:
yes , a brand new Golden Collar for Queen Beatrix, thanks for sharing it.
In Belgium King Baudouin had the Spanish order and his Brother Albert Prince de Liège the Austrian one. When the King of Spain came on State Visit in 2000 He gave to King Albert Ii the Spanish Order , So I thnik He is the only one Monarch to have both.

You said and are right Empress Zita did not have the Austrian Golden Fleece (only for men) but she was Greatmaster of the Order of the Starry Cross. She was followed by Archduchess Regina and now Archduchess Gabriela who is a Divorcee.

I thought it should have been the Head of the Order's wife , but that was not His Will

Last edited:
In Belgium our First Order is the Leopold Order with no Collar.

For Albert Prince de Liège's Wedding himself and his Father Leopold III wore the collar black necklace of the Order of Malta and the Leopold Order's Sash . No Uniform.

One Year later King Baudsouin at his Wedding wore the Collar of Isabelle la Catholique on his brown Uniform, sad he did not had a Gala Uniform.

Years later after 1965 when Queen Elisabeth passed away a picture taken in Germany or Austria is often shown because Princess Lilian wore the Cartier tiara. On this very picture Ling Leopold III is wearing the Order of the Golden Fleece.

Last edited:
You said and are right Empress Zita did not have the Austrian Golden Fleece (only for men) but she was Greatmaster of the Order of the Starry Cross. She was followed by Archduchess Regina and now Archduchess Gabriela who is a Divorcee.

I thought it should have been the Head of the Order's wife , but that was not His Will

The Order of the Starry Cross is only handed out to Catholic ladies from royal families or from the highest nobility (Princess Michael is a member). The reason for Archduchess Francesca not receiving the order is that her antecedentia isnt deemed prominent enough.

Last edited:
When the 3 reigning Queens will pass away, their Insignia has to go back to the Order. Their Heirs being Men , their Consort will haver have the Golden Fleece.

I am very interested in sashes and Orders .Many thanks for youy threads. MO

That's wrong, all members including women who are Knights of the Order the Golden Fleece receive the insignia of Collar, Necklet and a miniature medal (including bow form for women), women also receive the necklet and miniature medal for when they wear their military uniform but wear their collar and bow form with evening dress or day dress. At the moment there are 4 women who are Knights of the Order, in order of investiture are: Queen Margrethe II of Denmark; Princess Beatrix, Former Queen of the Netherlands; Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom and also Infanta Leonor, Princess of Asturias.

In Austria, women except for Empress Maria Theresa I, Holy Roman Empress didn't receive the Order of the Golden Fleece, it would only be awarded to men. The two orders for women are the Imperial and Royal Order of the Starry Cross and the Imperial and Royal Order of Saint Elisabeth, however women could also be awarded with the Imperial and Royal Order of Maria Theresa I and the Imperial and Royal Order of Saint Stephen of Hungary.. with the exception of the woman being a sovereign of a country herself.

The Order which you were referring to is the Imperial and Royal Order of the Starry Cross, there aren't many Dames of the Order as there were in the 20th century before, all daughters of the late Crown Prince Otto and Crown Princess Regina are Dames in 1st Class of the Order by birth, and the Grand Mistress is the youngest daughter Archduchess Gabriela. Archduchess Francesca has also been awarded the Order when she married Archduke Karl, but isn't the Grand Mistress since his accession as head of the Imperial and Royal House of Habsburg

yes , a brand new Golden Collar for Queen Beatrix, thanks for sharing it.
In Belgium King Baudouin had the Spanish order and his Brother Albert Prince de Liège the Austrian one. When the King of Spain came on State Visit in 2000 He gave to King Albert Ii the Spanish Order , So I thnik He is the only one Monarch to have both.

Beatrix has had the collar since she was invested as a Knight as all Knights receive the same set of insignia (women also receive a bow)
King Albert II has the Austrian Imperial Order of the Golden Fleece as his daughter married Archduke Lorenz, The Archduke of Austria-Este (he is a grandson of the last Emperor, Emperor Charles and Empress Zita), his nephew Grand Duke Henri, The Grand Duke of Luxembourg is also a Knight with all insignia of both the Austrian Imperial and Royal and also the Spanish Royal Order of the Golden Fleece
As Consort Empress Zita wasn't a Knight of the Order of the Golden Fleece, but she was Grand Mistress* of the two orders for women and was succeeded by Princess Regina of Saxe-Meiningen when she married Crown Prince Otto until her own death

In Belgium our First Order is the Leopold Order with no Collar.

For Albert Prince de Liège's Wedding himself and his Father Leopold III wore the collar black necklace of the Order of Malta and the Leopold Order's Sash . No Uniform.

One Year later King Baudsouin at his Wedding wore the Collar of Isabelle la Catholique on his brown Uniform, sad he did not had a Gala Uniform.

Years later after 1965 when Queen Elisabeth passed away a picture taken in Germany or Austria is often shown because Princess Lilian wore the Cartier tiara. On this very picture Ling Leopold III is wearing the Order of the Golden Fleece.

The Collar of the Order of Leopold I hasn't been worn in public for a very long time, the grade could possibly be classed as a former grade
The Sovereign Military Order of Malta has no collar, Prince Albert and his father Former King Leopold III wore their necklets* of the Order due to the Order being Italian and as Paola was Italian, it honoured her nationality.

The Order of the Starry Cross is only handed out to Catholic ladies from royal families or from the highest nobility (Princess Michael is a member). The reason for Archduchess Francesca not receiving the order is that her antecedentia isnt deemed prominent enough.

Queen Anne, Queen Consort of Romania was also a Dame as 1st Class of the Order as was her mother Princess Margaret of Denmark.

Archduchess Francesca is a Dame 1st Class of the Order but isn't Grand Mistress

Archduchess Francesca wearing her Imperial And Royal Order of the Starry Cross, 1st Class

Attachments

• IMG_9211.jpg
    IMG_9211.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 164
Archduchess Andrea Wearing the Imperial and Royal Order of the Starry Cross in 1st Class at her wedding
IMG_9218.jpg
IMG_9219.jpg

Archduchess Andrea Wearing the Imperial and Royal Order of the Starry Cross at her fathers funeral
IMG_9227.jpg

Archduchess Gabriela wearing the Imperial and Royal Order of the Starry Cross in 1st Class at her fathers funeral
IMG_9224.jpg

Archduchess Walburga wearing the Imperial and Royal Order of the Starry Cross in 1st Class at her wedding
IMG_9226.jpg
IMG_9225.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9217.jpg
    IMG_9217.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Beatrix has had the collar since she was invested as a Knight as all Knights receive the same set of insignia (women also receive a bow)
King Albert II has the Austrian Imperial Order of the Golden Fleece as his daughter married Archduke Lorenz, The Archduke of Austria-Este (he is a grandson of the last Emperor, Emperor Charles and Empress Zita), his nephew Grand Duke Henri, The Grand Duke of Luxembourg is also a Knight with all insignia of both the Austrian Imperial and Royal and also the Spanish Royal Order of the Golden Fleece
As Consort Empress Zita wasn't a Knight of the Order of the Golden Fleece, but she was Grand Mistress* of the two orders for women and was succeeded by Princess Regina of Saxe-Meiningen when she married Crown Prince Otto until her own death

Beatrix with the grand insignia: https://www.anp-archief.nl/image/20...f9663b29f23992441b626139ba8942a75ff2610c).jpg

Beatrix with the smaller insignia: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/05/30/13/34C4BC4800000578-3616237-image-m-9_1464609975938.jpg

Last edited:
Prince Nikolia at CP Frederick's birthday

Can anyone provide a list / summary of the medals worn by Prince Nikolia at his uncle's birthday gala.

Thanks in advance!

Wow, they are beautiful. Presumably they were left to George's illegitimate son, George William, and his brother Adolphus's descendants. What a pity they've decided to sell the collection. It would be great, as there is now a new Duke of Cambridge, if the BRF could buy a couple of these.

Last edited:
Wow, they are beautiful. Presumably they were left to George's illegitimate son, George William, and his brother Adolphus's descendants. What a pity they've decided to sell the collection. It would be great, as there is now a new Duke of Cambridge, if the BRF could buy a couple of these.

Since they were sold together, they were most likely inherited by one single line, not between separate descendents. George had 4 grandchildren between his 2 eldest sons (he had a 3rd son). 3 granddaughters and 1 grandson. But his only great-grandchildren were in the female line. George William only had one grandchild, a grandson Victor, from his daughter Mabel. Victor had 2 children. Adolphus had one daughter Olga. Olga had 3 kids, and at least her youngest daughter had numerous heirs.

I don't see why they would spend money to buy the orders for William. There is no real link between the men other then a shared title. It isn't like buying heirloom jewels that would be worn in the family.

Since they were sold together, they were most likely inherited by one single line, not between separate descendents. George had 4 grandchildren between his 2 eldest sons (he had a 3rd son). 3 granddaughters and 1 grandson. But his only great-grandchildren were in the female line. George William only had one grandchild, a grandson Victor, from his daughter Mabel. Victor had 2 children. Adolphus had one daughter Olga. Olga had 3 kids, and at least her youngest daughter had numerous heirs.

I don't see why they would spend money to buy the orders for William. There is no real link between the men other then a shared title. It isn't like buying heirloom jewels that would be worn in the family.
Olga's granddaughter Jane Scrivener died in 2014 so maybe it's her heirs that are selling the items.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using The Royals Community mobile app

Goodness the Duke had a lot of orders ,they are all of historic importance and wonderful to see them all together I do hope they are bought by a museum and kept together.

Hi Ashelen,
I do not know if you managed to review the threads here is the Royal Forums but maybe the link below may be a good place to start. Ella Kay over at her Order of Sartorial Splendor provides a very good summary on the subject of Royal Family Orders (as well as many other subjects). I would be hard pressed to provide you with a better explanation.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Royal Splendor 101: Royal Family Orders

Why does the "Order of the Royal Family" only exist in the royal families of the UK, Denmark, Sweden and Norway?

I suspect that the Norwegians originated theirs following the trend of their British cousins.

Back
Top Bottom