The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-01-2005, 09:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian
For those that dont speak French, this is what monique yazzourh is asking:):
do we know if there are jewels in ruby or sapphire in this royal collection?
There are quite a few spectacular ruby pieces in the collection, but nothing in sapphires that we've seen anyway.

Old 10-02-2005, 01:43 AM

Sapphire

Here is one of the sapphire pieces in the Iranian crown jewels, its described as. A brooch made of gold, sapphires and diamonds. The large sapphire in the center is approximately 12 cts. The total height of the item is 12 cm. (4.8 in.)

Old 10-02-2005, 04:22 AM
Courtier

What an interesting brooch, I have never seen it (the pict before), thanks for posting. Iranian has many beautiful jewelry and impressing big gem stones in their collection.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:59 AM
Courtier

Smile

I would be hard pressed to decide between the Iranian and the pre-Revolution Russian jewels as the best jewel collection. The Iranians have some of the most spectacular creations ever.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackswife
I would be hard pressed to decide between the Iranian and the pre-Revolution Russian jewels as the best jewel collection. The Iranians have some of the most spectacular creations ever.
I agree! The Romanov imperial collection was much bigger though, given centuries of acquisitions. The Iranian collection was mostly designed and acquired during the reign of the last Shah, although many old stones in the Treasury were used as well.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:08 PM
Nobility

...There is a photo of above mentioned sapphire ornament on the page 3 - also, please feel free to check other posts in this thread- almost the entire Iranian Imperial Collection documented in photos. It is fact, though, that sapphires are not used as much as emeralds or other precious stones in Persian Imperial jewelry - however, there is an impressive quantity of exquisite sapphires incorporated in some of the ornaments and objects of personal and general use, such as beautiful globe (page 1)...Enjoy...:)
Old 02-06-2006, 08:40 AM
Serene Highness

HIH Princess Farahnaz Pahlavi of Iran

A small diamond tiara - made for Princess Farahnaz for the coronation - made by Van Cleef and Arpels.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...4&d=1115725682
Old 02-16-2006, 01:40 PM
Aristocracy

Imperial Crown Jewels Of Iran, http://www.cigem.ca/treasure/

Info about the Imperial Jewels of Iran and many photos at:
http://www.iranchamber.com/museum/ro...n_jewels01.php
Old 12-11-2006, 01:43 PM
Aristocracy

The discovery of 86 Qajar dynasty era antique relics:
http://www.chnphoto.ir/show.php?lang...&photo_uid=587
Old 06-24-2007, 12:29 PM
Heir Apparent

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...ld20Tiara2.jpg

I found it on google? Is it one of Persian tiaras as it's wrote on the link?
Old 06-24-2007, 03:42 PM
Courtier

Ye Gods and Little Fishes,

Ye Gods and Little Fishes,

That sapphire trinket is to die for. Magnificent. Y0u have made my day. Just as I was having fits with my obsessions going over the Princess Margaret brooch you come upwith this fantastic conglomeration. I have never seen it listed in the Iranian crown jewels. Further the collection was noted for its dearth of sapphires and oddly noted for its massive collection of emeralds, diamonds, including some magnificent yellow diamonds and pink ones as well, spinels and rubies, spinels until fairly recently considered to be rubies. Then are a barnyard load of pearls, but not many sapphires. So this is al wonderful find.

Styalistically it looks Persian. It also looks French, due to that horrendous dip in the front of the headpiece. i guess they did that to keep the thing from falling off the royal or imperial head but it still looks as ugly as sin. The diamonds are massive a la Russe or in the Persian style and the positioning of the sapphires would seem to cinch the deal. those are sapphires aren't they. The colour scheme on these blasted machines leaves much to be desired.

Would you kindly publish the google link so I may peruse the goods first hand myself. And merci beaucoups. Thats pronounced mercy bohcups, by the way. Cheers.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:29 PM
Courtier

You are right with the Persian and with the French I believe, Thomas. It belonged to Empress Farah, and was likely made in France along with many of the parures of the Shahbanou.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
I agree! The Romanov imperial collection was much bigger though, given centuries of acquisitions. The Iranian collection was mostly designed and acquired during the reign of the last Shah, although many old stones in the Treasury were used as well.
I'm sorry branchg, but you're wrong. The Iranian Crown Jewels have more than 600 years of history behind them - Possibly much more. It was during the Safavid dynasty that most of the jewels were acquired. Almost none of the collections jewelry were acquired by the late Shah of Iran. However, many of the pieces were designed during his and his fathers reign using the gems that have belonged to the crown jewels for centuries. You're also wrong about the Russian crown jewel collection being bigger than the Iranian. The Iranian collection is by far much larger. It is the largest collection in the world, and also one of the least known collections, due to the fact that it was kept secret for centuries up until the Pahlavi dynasty when it was put on display for everyone to see. A lot of the jewel-studded objects of the Russian treasures were also either gifts of the Persian Shahs to the Tzars, or looted during the Irano-Russian wars in the 1700's and 1800's.

You can read more about the spectacular Iranian crown jewels here: Iranian Crown Jewels - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The crown Jewels of Iran are displayed in more than 40 big glass-cases, some of them crowded with tiaras, necklaces, broches, earrings, swords, etc. The collection has shrunk immensly through the centuries as royal family members of the older dynasties grabbed many of the items for themselves, as well as through looting during various invasions. European travelers to Persia in the 1600's report having seen all the royals and their courtiers wearing magnificent clothes extravagantly studded with precious gems, jewel-studded pillows, chandeliers, and thousands of utensils such as pitchers, plates, spoons, cups, dish-covers, etc. One such traveler reported having counted up to 4000 such utensils and yet he had not seen all. Most of it vanished during the Afghan raid on Isfahan in 1719. Isfahan which was referred to as one of the most beautiful city in the world prior to the invasion, was devastated.

Also, Persia had some incredible treasures during the Achaemenid dynasty some 2500 years ago. It is said that it took some 10,000 horses to carry all the treasures of Persepolis from one palace to another. During the Sassanian dynasty which ended with the Arab conquest of Iran in the 7th century, an enormous Persian rug made of the finest diamonds and other precious gems was hanging on the wall of the large hall as one entered the palace. This rug was reportedly cut into pieces by the invadors and divided between them.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:17 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilal View Post
A small diamond tiara - made for Princess Farahnaz for the coronation - made by Van Cleef and Arpels.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...4&d=1115725682
Do you know if the small tiaras/crowns that wore the girls during the wedding of the Shah and Farah were authentic tiaras of diamonds?

LIFE: Farah Dibafiancee Of Shah Of Iran - Hosted by Google

(I'm refering to the little girls)

Regards!!
Old 01-12-2009, 05:07 PM
Royal Highness

Wow,the collection Aryan posted above was really interesting.I rarely have the chance to see such "heavy" ancient jewels
Old 01-28-2009, 01:32 PM
Majesty
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – Jordan

Jewels Museum, Tehran - a set on Flickr

Thankīs Aryan
Old 07-07-2009, 07:32 AM
Aristocracy

Do you know how many tiaras has this treasure?

Regards!
Old 09-25-2010, 04:43 PM
Gentry

this is my second post lol i am not sure where to say hello but hello anyway :) i think the irainian jewels are stunning and i love the shams tiara they are beautiful and aigrettes are amazing they look delicate but bet they are heavey
Old 09-12-2011, 05:38 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by persimon View Post
I'm sorry branchg, but you're wrong. The Iranian Crown Jewels have more than 600 years of history behind them - Possibly much more...
I really appreciate your information,I always admired Persian jewels,they are quite ostentatious but very beautiful and delicate in their colour&shapes! Itīs good that they are in a museum now (or at least some of them) so that the people in Iran and also visitors from other countries can look at them.
Maybe other posters believe the style is French because Farah Dibah wore many glamourous gowns from French couturiers and her wedding dress was made by Dior?
Old 10-03-2011, 11:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Farah's crown for the coronation was made by Van Cleef & Arpels because there was no existing crown for a Shahs consort. Pierre Arpels himself went to Tehran to select the stones. She talks about this in her autobiography "An Enduring Love"

Tags
crown jewels, iran, jewellery