Danish Royal Orders

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wasn't Mary awarded an Order of the Elephant yet? Does anyone have picture of her coat of arms?

Mary has the Order of the elephant since the year of her wedding, slightly before the wedding. She wears the eight pointed star to gala events, sort of on her left rib cage I guess. She does have a monogram. There is a chart showing all the family's monograms on this thread, page 2 I think. (?)
She does not have the Dannebrog yet, however. Strange no? Isn't the elephant considered the most prestigious?

CasiraghiTrio said:
Mary has the Order of the elephant since the year of her wedding, slightly before the wedding. She wears the eight pointed star to gala events, sort of on her left rib cage I guess. She does have a monogram. There is a chart showing all the family's monograms on this thread, page 2 I think. (?)
She does not have the Dannebrog yet, however. Strange no? Isn't the elephant considered the most prestigious?

Yes, CasiraghiTrio :flowers:

The Order of the Elephant is the Danish equivilant to the British Order of the Garter or the Swedish Order of the Seraphim etc.

It is highest Order of Chivalry in the land.

Mary will probably (again, no one can be certain) be made a Knight of the Order of the Dannebrog when Frederik becomes King.

Thanks, MR!

there are pics of Niels Bohr on Getty wearing his Order of the Elephant. He's not royal but I love him and I think it's great to see non-royalty achieve orders of chivalry. I don't care about actors who get it or musical entertainers. I could care less about the Rolling stones and their knighthoods, but someone like Niels bohr made real contributions to the understanding of the universe with his work on quantum mechanics.

One question: Does the Elephant order work the same way as the Garter, the Thistle, etc. in terms of prefixes? Are the Knights given a prefix of "Sir" and the Ladies "Dame"?

Swedish Royal Knights and Ladies of the Order of the Elephant

I'm creating this post to add in my photos of the arms of the Swedish royals made Knights and Ladies of the Danish Order of the Elephant.

These are displayed in the chapel of Frederiksborg Slot.

I took a series of photos of the Elephant order and Dannebrog order shields during a visit on Friday September 17th 2004.

This helps show some variations of Individual Swedish royal arms - especially those showing the arms of their royal duchies or earlier arms such as The King while Crown Prince, or the Princely arms of those that lost their status due to unequal marriage.

Enjoy!

David

Attachments

• DSC00927a.jpg
    DSC00927a.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 495
Sigvard Bernadotte, Count af Wisborg (Prince Sigvard of Sweden)

Sigvard Bernadotte, Count af Wisborg (Prince Sigvard of Sweden) (b. June 7, 1907, Drottningholm. d. February 4, 2002, Stockholm)

Prince Sigvard, Duke of Uppland, later Count Sigvard Bernadotte af Wisborg (1907-2002) married Erica Patzek on March 8, 1934, thereby losing his place in the succession, his titles and Swedish Royal Orders and becoming Mr Sigvard Bernadotte.

On July 2, 1951 he was created Count Bernadotte af Wisborg by Grand Duchess Charlotte of Luxembourg.

He was made a Knight of the order of the elephant by his brother-in-law King Frederik on March 28, 1952.

(Note that his eldest brother had received the Elephant in 1933 and that his two unmarried brothers, Bertil and Carl Johan were made Knights of the Elephant in the days leading up to the marriage of their sister, Princess Ingrid's marriage to the Danish Crown Prince in May, 1935.)

This shield in interesting in showing Sigvard's arms as a Bernadotte Count of Wisborg. The three divided sections are the arms of Vasa, Bernadotte and Gotland (capital is Visby/Wisborg). The coronet is that of a Luxembourg count.

These reflect the same armorial design as for the first Count Bernadotte of Wisborg, Prince Oscar Bernadotte (1859-1953) a former Duke of Gotland, which were dipicted on his shield as a Knight of the Order of the Seraphim, that had been painted in 1951.

Attachments

• DSC00756-Sigvard-1952-3-28b.jpg
    DSC00756-Sigvard-1952-3-28b.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 537
King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden and King Constatine II of the Hellnes are also Grand Commanders of the Dannebrog. The Grand Commander is given to Royal with close family ties to the Danish Royal House. Constatine married Anne-Marie, sister of Queen Margrethe. Margrethe's mother, Ingrid was the aunt of Carl XVI Gustaf.

Any reason as to why it's "the order of the elephant" and not named after a previous king.

Any reason as to why it's "the order of the elephant" and not named after a previous king.

A Danish religious confraternity called the Fellowship of the Mother of God, limited to about fifty members of the Danish aristocracy, was founded during the reign of Christian I during the 15th century. The badge of the confraternity showed the Virgin Mary holding her Son within a crescent moon and surrounded with the rays of the sun, and was hung from a collar of links in the form of elephants much like the present collar of the Order. After the Reformation in 1536 the confraternity died out, but a badge in the form of an elephant with his profile on its right side was still awarded by Frederick II. The order was instituted in its current form on 1 December 1693 by King Christian V.

:previous:
Thank you for the information! I wasn't aware of the origins of the Order of the Elephant as well.

isn't the order of the elephant the only royal order in denmark?

There is also the lesser Order of The Dannebrog.

Which is a beautiful piece of design. My favourite actor Viggo Mortensen was honoured w/it last year for services to Denmark in the Arts, I don't remember what level he he was awarded, but I do remember various fan sites had pictures of the Order Star and is where I saw it.

Yes, he got this one: http://www.brego.net/uploaded_images/Ridder-af-Dannebrog-750107.jpg

It's the latest design, with QMII's monogram. It's the Knightscross of the Order of Danneborg, second grade. - The lowest grade.
If or when Viggo Mortensen get a new order it will be the Knightscross, first grade. And it will be in gold, rather than silver as now.

The Knightscross must be returned upon the death of the recipient.

I am fairly new and I am at times overwhelmed by an urge to comment and answer the threads that has long been cold. :)

The three daughters of King Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid all have their shields as up in the chapel as princesses of denmark.

All three shields have the same date... 22nd of April 1947. This is the date of their father's succession as king. (Not to mention a month before the date on their mother's shield, which seems a little strange to me.) [/I]

The last 3 Danish monarchs (Christian X, Frederik IX & QMII) has awarded the OE to their children on the day of succession. Queen Ingrid was awarded her OE about a month after FIX' succession; Queen Alexandrine had to wait almost 4 months for her OE. This may have been custom at the time but there could be another more low praxtical explanation; The number of OE insignia is limited, so maybe they were simply waiting for insignia of late recipients to be returned. The last 2 consorts (Prince Henrik & CPM) got their on their wedding day.

Princess Margrethe's shield also says... "Regni Heres" after the usual "Principissa Daniae". (Which I take as a literal meaning "kingdom heir" in latin.) However in 1947 Margarethe was not the throne follower. Indeed there was no female succession until in 1953, when the Act of Succession was changed, allowing females to become Queen Regnants. The crown on top of her shield is also the heraldic crown of the heir to the throne. So I assume that this shield - and maybe all three - were not painted unil after this date.

I would be grateful if anyone can shed any further light onto this for us. [/I]
I think it is safe to say that the shields were painted later and the QMII's shield had 'Regni heres' added after '53. Some people tend to forget the fact the she was never CP - her title was (tronfølger) Heir to the throne. I sometimes see it translated to 'Heiress Presumptive' which I find quite odd because her status was confirmed by law so I don't get the presumption part.

I find the events leading up to the change in the Act of Succession in '53 most intruiging. I wonder what brought it on and if indeed we will ever know. Oh well, that may be material for a brand new thread.:)

:previous:Thank you Crown for the extra information:flowers::flowers:
It is wonderful to learn

The three daughters of King Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid all have their shields as up in the chapel as princesses of denmark.

All three shields have the same date... 22nd of April 1947. This is the date of their father's succession as king. (Not to mention a month before the dat on their mother's shield, which seems a little strange to me.)

Princess Margrethe's shield also says... "Regni Heres" after the usual "Principissa Daniae". (Which I take as a literal meaning "kingdom heir" in latin.) However in 1947 Margarethe was not the throne follower. Indeed there was no female succession until in 1953, when the Act of Succession was changed, allowing females to become Queen Regnants. The crown on top of her shield is also the heraldic crown of the heir to the throne. So I assume that this shield - and maybe all three - were not painted unil after this date.

I would be grateful if anyone can shed any further light onto this for us.

Note that Princess Margrethe's shield is in the bay behind the organ at the back of the chiurch. It is at the top right, just diagonally above the shield of her father as crown prince See attached image. The two other princesses and their mother are on the wall around the corner to the right.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=267793&d=1105760369

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=267792&d=1105760369

Incredible photos! thank you, who does actually make the coats? what kind of materials are they? what is their size? they look very big! What it means "DOM" ? and is written in Latin? thae numbers are roman!

Attachments

• crest 32.jpg
    crest 32.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 235
  • crest 33.jpg
    crest 33.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
:previous: Well, as I wrote in the PMs to you, ashelen, I don't know that much about coat of arms.

However on this picture you can see the scale Anders Fogh får sit våbenskjold i dag - sn.dk - Forside sn.dk - Nordsjælland - Hillerød
They are made from metal or wood.

There are a couple of painters authorized to paint coat of arms, here is one named Claus Havemann: VÃ¥benmaler - Velkommen til skjolde.dk another painter is named Ronny Andersen.

Tusind Tak Muhler!!!!!!
I found out this:

"the word ”DOM:” is short for ”DOMINUS” which in latin means ”Sir” or “Master”. The word “DIE” means “day” in latin (as in Carpe Diem, seize the day). "

Back
Top Bottom