The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-06-2005, 01:25 AM
Courtier

I see that one of the shields is the Berleburg's; is the other from her swedish Family?

Old 11-06-2005, 01:33 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleq
I see that one of the shields is the Berleburg's; is the other from her swedish Family?
The Fürstin was from the Fouché d'Otrante family so I would guess it's their Coat of Arms.

Old 11-06-2005, 08:03 AM
Nobility

The Order of the Dannebrog

I'd like to add a little and to ask a couple of questions.

The Order of the Dannebrog was opened to women in 1958, AFAIK. I'm not sure whether there were some exceptions for women of royal origin prior to that date.

Are there any foreign Grand Commanders of the Order of Dannebrog?

By the way, has someone been awarded both the Order of Dannebrog and the Order of the Elephant simultaneously, i.e. receiving two Danish orders of chivalry on the same day?
Old 11-06-2005, 08:47 AM
Heir Apparent

It was the Order of the Elephant that was opened to females in 1958. The Order of the Dannebrog was opened to females in 1951.

King Harald of Norway is a Grand Commander of the Order of the Dannebrog.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:38 AM
Nobility

norwegianne
Thank you for the info, it seems I've mixed the two orders up. :-)
Old 05-29-2006, 08:12 PM
Nobility

What is the "Order of the Elephant" and why an elephant?
Old 05-30-2006, 03:08 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby86
What is the "Order of the Elephant" and why an elephant?
The order of the Elephant is the highest danish order, and mostly given to foreign heads of state. Mærsk McKinney Møller (owner of the shippingcompany mærsk) is the onbly dane in 50 years to recieve it, the last one before him was Niels Bohr (the physicist).
I actually have no idea why it's an elephant. The order is about 500 years old, and my best guess is that the elephant was a very strange animal, but known for it's strenght, therefore it was a good symbol.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:03 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by davo
Princess Alexandra's arms are currently displayed below the royal arms alongside those of her husband and the Crown Prince. Her shield is her marital arms, marshalling the arms of Prince Joachim [Denmark with an escutcheon of Oldenborg impaled with de Monpezat] and the her own arms with quater those given to her father Mr Richard Manely with an orchid. .
Actually i think the flower is an Edelweiss because its a very popular flower in Austria where Alexandras mother is from.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:28 PM
Gentry

Crown Princess Mary's Coat of Arms

I wonder if Mary has got her own coat of arms. Unfortunately, the Danish royals seem not to use their personal arms that often: for instance, the only time I got to see Princess Alexandra's was in a photo taken of Frederiksborg Castle's Chapel, where all knights and ladies of the Order of the Elephant have their arms displayed in a shield with their name, coat of arms and the date they became members of the order.

Perhaps somebody has visited the castle recently and noticed the CP's shield?

Prince Frederik's coat of Arms in Frederiksborg Chapel:
http://www.crownprincecouple.dk/49000c

Shields of other knights and ladies of the Order of the Elephant:
http://p.vtourist.com/1080739-Shield...sborg_Slot.jpg
Old 08-31-2006, 07:27 PM
Aristocracy

On the Official web site of the Crown Prince Couple, it says that they created an official standard for the King, Queen and the Regent. Does anyone have a clue of how the Regent Standard looks like?
Old 09-28-2006, 01:53 PM
Courtier

Wasn't Mary awarded an Order of the Elephant yet? Does anyone have picture of her coat of arms?
Old 11-04-2006, 10:57 PM

Mary has the Order of the elephant since the year of her wedding, slightly before the wedding. She wears the eight pointed star to gala events, sort of on her left rib cage I guess. She does have a monogram. There is a chart showing all the family's monograms on this thread, page 2 I think. (?)
She does not have the Dannebrog yet, however. Strange no? Isn't the elephant considered the most prestigious?
Old 11-04-2006, 11:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio
Mary has the Order of the elephant since the year of her wedding, slightly before the wedding. She wears the eight pointed star to gala events, sort of on her left rib cage I guess. She does have a monogram. There is a chart showing all the family's monograms on this thread, page 2 I think. (?)
She does not have the Dannebrog yet, however. Strange no? Isn't the elephant considered the most prestigious?
Yes, CasiraghiTrio

The Order of the Elephant is the Danish equivilant to the British Order of the Garter or the Swedish Order of the Seraphim etc.

It is highest Order of Chivalry in the land.

Mary will probably (again, no one can be certain) be made a Knight of the Order of the Dannebrog when Frederik becomes King.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:34 PM

Thanks, MR!

there are pics of Niels Bohr on Getty wearing his Order of the Elephant. He's not royal but I love him and I think it's great to see non-royalty achieve orders of chivalry. I don't care about actors who get it or musical entertainers. I could care less about the Rolling stones and their knighthoods, but someone like Niels bohr made real contributions to the understanding of the universe with his work on quantum mechanics.

One question: Does the Elephant order work the same way as the Garter, the Thistle, etc. in terms of prefixes? Are the Knights given a prefix of "Sir" and the Ladies "Dame"?
Old 06-08-2007, 10:33 PM
Commoner

Swedish Royal Knights and Ladies of the Order of the Elephant

I'm creating this post to add in my photos of the arms of the Swedish royals made Knights and Ladies of the Danish Order of the Elephant.

These are displayed in the chapel of Frederiksborg Slot.

I took a series of photos of the Elephant order and Dannebrog order shields during a visit on Friday September 17th 2004.

This helps show some variations of Individual Swedish royal arms - especially those showing the arms of their royal duchies or earlier arms such as The King while Crown Prince, or the Princely arms of those that lost their status due to unequal marriage.

Enjoy!

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00927a.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	260442  
Old 06-08-2007, 11:38 PM
Commoner

Sigvard Bernadotte, Count af Wisborg (Prince Sigvard of Sweden)

Sigvard Bernadotte, Count af Wisborg (Prince Sigvard of Sweden) (b. June 7, 1907, Drottningholm. d. February 4, 2002, Stockholm)

Prince Sigvard, Duke of Uppland, later Count Sigvard Bernadotte af Wisborg (1907-2002) married Erica Patzek on March 8, 1934, thereby losing his place in the succession, his titles and Swedish Royal Orders and becoming Mr Sigvard Bernadotte.

On July 2, 1951 he was created Count Bernadotte af Wisborg by Grand Duchess Charlotte of Luxembourg.

He was made a Knight of the order of the elephant by his brother-in-law King Frederik on March 28, 1952.

(Note that his eldest brother had received the Elephant in 1933 and that his two unmarried brothers, Bertil and Carl Johan were made Knights of the Elephant in the days leading up to the marriage of their sister, Princess Ingrid's marriage to the Danish Crown Prince in May, 1935.)

This shield in interesting in showing Sigvard's arms as a Bernadotte Count of Wisborg. The three divided sections are the arms of Vasa, Bernadotte and Gotland (capital is Visby/Wisborg). The coronet is that of a Luxembourg count.

These reflect the same armorial design as for the first Count Bernadotte of Wisborg, Prince Oscar Bernadotte (1859-1953) a former Duke of Gotland, which were dipicted on his shield as a Knight of the Order of the Seraphim, that had been painted in 1951.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00756-Sigvard-1952-3-28b.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	260443  
Old 06-09-2007, 01:42 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that is quite correct list:
Order of the Elephant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Elefantordenen (R.E.)
Old 05-11-2008, 01:36 PM

King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden and King Constatine II of the Hellnes are also Grand Commanders of the Dannebrog. The Grand Commander is given to Royal with close family ties to the Danish Royal House. Constatine married Anne-Marie, sister of Queen Margrethe. Margrethe's mother, Ingrid was the aunt of Carl XVI Gustaf.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:22 PM
Serene Highness

Any reason as to why it's "the order of the elephant" and not named after a previous king.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:32 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandduchess24 View Post
Any reason as to why it's "the order of the elephant" and not named after a previous king.
A Danish religious confraternity called the Fellowship of the Mother of God, limited to about fifty members of the Danish aristocracy, was founded during the reign of Christian I during the 15th century. The badge of the confraternity showed the Virgin Mary holding her Son within a crescent moon and surrounded with the rays of the sun, and was hung from a collar of links in the form of elephants much like the present collar of the Order. After the Reformation in 1536 the confraternity died out, but a badge in the form of an elephant with his profile on its right side was still awarded by Frederick II. The order was instituted in its current form on 1 December 1693 by King Christian V.